daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #21
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Great summary Archi (and Ezza); it really is a massive project.
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #22
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

I'm somewhat a Docklands skeptic (it has its flaws, like any major urban renewal) , but this shows the unprecedented enourmity of it . In Australia; this development is in unchartered waters.
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #23
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Likes (Received): 81

That's one of the reasons I wanted to put a thread together with all the projects. I have certain grievances about Docklands too, but I think seeing all the projects together, overall (IMO) I'd have to say it looks pretty impressive.

Plus I wanted to see what some of the international forumers thought of it too.
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #24
george_101
Teh r0x0r.. Or maybe not.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by A r c h i View Post
That's one of the reasons I wanted to put a thread together with all the projects. I have certain grievances about Docklands too, but I think seeing all the projects together, overall (IMO) I'd have to say it looks pretty impressive.

Plus I wanted to see what some of the international forumers thought of it too.
It definitely is impressive. The sheer enormity of Melbourne's skyline in 2020 is just going to be plain awesome. CBD, Southbank and Docklands will contrast nicely with each other.

Though some of the designs were/are a bit suss.. I just wish the wheel was done differently. Plus I don't like the colouring on the NAB HQ. It was a good idea but personally I wouldn't have had so much of it.

^_^ But that's just my opinion.
george_101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM   #25
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Construction updates by OzFrog:

Batman's Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFrog View Post
Today...

Media House:

National Foods:

Travelodge:

Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:43 AM   #26
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Village Docklands, work has commenced.

Kuok/Walker Corporation are in negotiations with the Commonwealth Bank to lease space in Tower A

Victoria Harbour:

Myer HQ and Montage sites in the foreground, with The Gauge and 833 Bourke St nearing completion in the background.

ANZ HQ

Quote:
http://www.docklands.com/cs/Satellit...site=Docklands

Deal is sealed - 150 new child care places for Melbourne Docklands
Thursday, 17 January 2008

Construction of the first major community facility, the Family and Children Services Hub, in Victoria Harbour, Docklands is underway.

Legal documents formalising the new child care centre were signed just prior to Christmas last year and the facility, which will provide 150 new child care places for metropolitan Melbourne is on track to open early 2009.

Lord Mayor John So said it would offer a range of other services including long day care, occasional care, preschool programs, maternal and child health services, family counselling and intervention services including speech pathology.

“This is a substantial development not only for Victoria Harbour but for Melbourne Docklands. Providing affordable child care through this project is one of the ways we are meeting the needs of people living, working or investing in Docklands and the wider City of Melbourne community,” the Lord Mayor said.

“The City of Melbourne is contributing $6.95m to this project and we are also in the process of providing more than 60 additional child care places at our existing facilities throughout the municipality.”

Councillor Peter Clarke said the project could not have reached construction stage without the combined efforts of all project partners, the City of Melbourne, VicUrban, Lend Lease and the Lady Gowrie Child Centre (Melbourne) which will manage the hub on the City of Melbourne’s behalf.

“There are more than 100 families with children under five living in Docklands and more than 40 babies were born in the Docklands area in the past year. This is the first major community facility to be built since the precinct joined the City of Melbourne municipality.

“Melbourne Docklands is one of the fastest growing areas in metropolitan Melbourne and the Family and Children Services Hub will be an ongoing legacy for the City of Melbourne for many years to come,” Cr Clarke said.

VicUrban’s General Manager Docklands and Major Projects, Michael Hynes said the Children’s Hub demonstrated how VicUrban was working with Melbourne City Council and the private sector to ensure Docklands continued to develop in response to the evolving community’s needs.

The building features a range of sustainability features including a living landscape area on the roof, energy efficient lighting, natural ventilation, low energy air conditioning, a vegetable garden and water harvesting from the roof.

It is being built in Victoria Harbour on top of the new Safeway supermarket, the first full-line supermarket to service the Docklands community. It has been designed to meet standards set by VicUrban’s ESD (Ecologically Sustainable Development) Award of Merit and is intended to act as a ‘best practice’ model for the design of inner-city childcare centres.

VicUrban has developed an ESD rating tool specifically for child care centres in association with the project, and General Manager Docklands and Major Projects, Michael Hynes congratulated the project partners on the achievement.

“The Award of Merit acknowledges a move towards best practice and is awarded to recognise an increased level of commitment beyond that of the standard ESD principles all developments in Docklands must comply with,” Mr Hynes said.

“Importantly, it reinforces VicUrban’s vision to create and maintain Docklands as a development of ecologically sustainable excellence, demonstrating environmental leadership to the market.”

Lend Lease Development General Manager for Victoria, Maurice Cococcia, said Lend Lease was proud to be delivering such an essential community facility for Docklands and the surrounding area in Victoria Harbour.

“Victoria Harbour is growing at a phenomenal speed and we are very pleased to be able to offer a true mix of businesses, residential apartments, retail and community facilities such as the Children’s Hub,” he said.

“The Victoria Harbour precinct has been designed to grow a solid community that has all the amenities required for anyone that lives, works or visits the area. Particular attention has been paid to parklands and public open spaces as well as retail and other services essential to any successful community.”

The City of Melbourne is the municipal authority for Melbourne Docklands, following the precinct’s transition from VicUrban to the City of Melbourne on 1 July 2007.
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #27
Edward
Glitter & Grease

Likes (Received): 3

Old February 1st, 2008, 03:22 PM   #28
A r c h i
Render Monkey

A few updates:

Water Plaza @ Victoria Harbour:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash 222 View Post
New Water Plaza out the front of Ericsson
image hosted on flickr
Yarra's Edge River Precinct (far background), ANZ and Village Docklands (foreground)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappa View Post
Also Village Docklands:

25/01/08

image hosted on flickr
Media House:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gappa View Post
25/01/08

image hosted on flickr
Digital Harbour:

Life.Lab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghmelb View Post
More cladding on LifeLab

And new render of 1000 LaTrobe St

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
One Thousand LaTrobe...

all thanks to one very kind soul on ssc...
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #29
A r c h i
Render Monkey

http://www.lacrossedocklands.com.au/

Quote:
Originally Posted by A r c h i View Post
Article:

Quote:
Capital Gain
Marc Pallisco, Chris Vedelago
15 March 2008
The Age
www.theage.com.au

Suncorp eyes South-East Stadium precinct in Docklands

ONE of Dockland's last remaining - and most prominent - development sites will become a $350 million mixed-use project, under ambitious plans by the consortium vying to buy it.

Sources said the 1.6-hectare site known as the South-East Stadium precinct would make way for up to two office buildings, a high-rise apartment building, a hotel and a retail pavilion that capitalises on busy pedestrian traffic connecting the Telstra Dome to the Southern Cross railway station.

Insurance giant Suncorp is believed to have committed to between 15,000 square metres and 30,000 sq m of office space, depending on what Promina-controlled brands it wants based at one flagship office. Suncorp merged with Promina in March last year.

Joining Suncorp as a potential neighbour is Members Equity Bank, which is reported to have committed to between 20,000 sq m and 30,000 sq m of office space in the same precinct.

Both tenants would walk the well-worn path from the central business district, leaving more offices to be filled from about 2012, sources said.

Besides office buildings and a major retail hub, sources said the site was expected to make way for a Saville-branded hotel and a high-rise apartment tower.

The South-East Stadium site was put to the market late last year by the typically possessive VicUrban, which has slowly siphoned all sites in the $7 billion Docklands precinct to major developers including Mirvac, Lend Lease, MAB and ING.

A consortium including ISPT, Cbus Property and Equity Pacific is believed to have paid more than $50 million for the site, which sits immediately south-east of the Telstra Dome, between the Bourke Street footbridge.

It is believed Suncorp will relocate its offices from 501 Swanston Street into ISPT's recently vacated 447 Collins Street office building on a flexible-lease term, allowing it smooth transition into the Docklands building once it is complete.

Representatives from Suncorp and VicUrban declined to comment on the speculation when contacted by Capital Gain. A spokesman from ISPT could not be contacted.

Knight Frank director Mark Rasmussen, who is believed to have negotiated the two office deals, declined to comment as did a spokesman from global architect firm Woods Bagot, which is believed to be designing part of the project.
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #30
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

I want to see a 200m + tower being built somewhere

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #31
ozabyss
Building Tragic....

Likes (Received): 176

Fantastic summary, have not been home to Melbourne for three years, the next time I get a chance, I will not know the place. Thanks for the effort guys
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #32
dubai_nomad

Likes (Received): 1

New resedential projects

Hi there, does anyone know of any new resedential developments in the docklands area?
dubai_nomad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #33
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

love that buildings style...
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #34
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubai_nomad View Post
Hi there, does anyone know of any new resedential developments in the docklands area?
Follow the links from here:

http://www.docklands.com/cs/Satellit...name=Docklands

At the moment the developers are mostly selling boutique-style apartments and townhouses, the only high rise apartment development selling at the moment is Lacrosse, although some new towers should be released mid year.
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #35
andypandy
Meh...

Likes (Received): 53

A couple of dodgy looking buildings...but overall a brilliant expansion to the CBD. Easily the most exciting area in the country at the moment.
andypandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #36
A r c h i
Render Monkey

South East Stadium Precinct finally announced. Will be known as Bourke Junction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbournee12 View Post
ISPT, CBus Confirm $700 Million Bourke Junction Development, Docklands. Suncorp Major Tenant.

Written by Company Announcement
Monday, 07 April 2008
Industry Superannuation Property Trust (ISPT), Cbus Property and EPC Partners today announced their joint venture to develop the new $700 million South East Stadium Precinct (SESP) at Docklands in Melbourne.

Following an extensive bidding process, the successful Bourke Junction consortium today announced it had entered a development agreement with VicUrban, the state’s sustainable urban development authority, for the project to be known as Bourke Junction.

The five building mixed use project will comprise over 150,000 square metres of built area including the development of two landmark commercial towers; a 250 room hotel; restaurant and bar facilities; and a five level mixed-use building incorporating a medical centre, retail facilities, a business club and gymnasium.

Bourke Junction occupies a prominent site adjacent to Telstra Dome, on the corner of Bourke Street and Wurundjeri Way, and will improve pedestrian access in the precinct through the construction of additional pathways from the Bourke Street concourse, between Southern Cross Station and the stadium, and the establishment of new laneways.

The project’s design initiatives include a blackwater treatment system, solar hot water systems and extensive facilities for cyclists.

The 29 storey northern building will be jointly developed by ISPT and Cbus Property and will incorporate approximately 45,000 square metres of 5 Star Green Star commercial office space as well as approximately 1,140 square metres of retail space. ISPT and Cbus are well advanced in securing office space pre commitments from two major corporations.

The southern building and hotel are being jointly developed by ISPT and EPC Partners. The landmark office building will have a net lettable area of approximately 35,000 square metres over 21 levels, with floorplates averaging 2,000 square metres. The hotel is proposed to house 250 rooms and be a 4 star operation. ISPT and EPC Partners have confirmed leading diversified financial services provider, Suncorp, has committed to the lower rise of the office tower, representing approximately half the NLA.

Both buildings will feature two lobbies, one at a concourse level and one at the Bourke Street level.

Construction is scheduled to commence in the second half of 2008 and the project will be delivered in stages with final completion scheduled for 2012. Architectural firm Hassell are responsible for the masterplan and South Tower, Hotel and central building design and Woods Bagot are responsible for the North Tower design.

The project aims to improve access to and from Telstra Dome but will also provide enhanced connections between Docklands and Melbourne CBD, dramatically easing the foot traffic congestion that currently occurs on event days.

Representatives of the Bourke Junction consortium made these comments at the official launch today.

ISPT Chief Executive Officer, Mr Daryl Browning said ISPT with our partners EPC and Cbus Property are proud to be involved in a project of this scale and significance and shares VicUrban’s commitment to ensure Bourke Junction performs to the highest environmental standards.

“Bourke Junction will be developed to a high environmental performance standard and has been registered for a Green Star design rating. We look forward to working closely with our joint venture partners to deliver a project that will transform this key site into a vibrant business precinct and provide a significant boost to the entire Docklands area,” Mr Browning said.

Cbus Property Chief Executive Officer, Mr Adrian Pozzo said he was delighted to announce the joint acquisition of the Dockland’s premier commercial site.
“This development represents Cbus Property’s third major successive commercial development in Melbourne, having completed 8 Exhibition Street in 2005 (45,000
square metres) and CBW at the corner of Bourke and William Streets (75,000 square metres) which is approaching completion,” Mr Pozzo said EPC Partners founder and Managing Director, Mr Patrick Smith, who initiated and co-ordinated the consortium bid said EPC was proud to be a partner in the Bourke
Junction development and believed the consortium had the right blend of expertise to deliver a truly outstanding development for Docklands and Melbourne.

“Bourke Junction represents an important next step for both EPC and in the continued integration of Docklands with the CBD. We are excited to be involved in
this landmark project and, with our partners, intend to deliver a genuinely design focussed outcome which will be truly exciting for Docklands and all of Melbourne,” Mr Smith said.

Suncorp Executive General Manager, Corporate Real Estate, Mr Peter Affleck said location emerged as a key factor influencing the Group’s selection of the 740 Bourke Street site.

“Feedback from staff workshops indicated that access to a range of transport options and proximity to the CBD were important to our staff,” Mr Affleck said.

“Signage rights at the new premises will also provide us with an ideal opportunity to reinforce Suncorp’s national reach and Top 25 listed company status within Australia’s emerging premier financial services district.”

Mr Affleck said the move to Bourke Junction was also consistent with Suncorp’s national real estate strategy to consolidate its staff in environmentally sustainable, long term A-grade sites.

http://www.realestatesource.com.au/Victoria/ISPT-CBus-Confirm-$700-Million-Bourke-Junction-Development-Docklands.-Suncorp-Major-Tenant.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumway View Post
Managed to grab the news recap, didn't have all the renders that were in the full story, but here were the ones shown:

Last edited by A r c h i; April 8th, 2008 at 02:44 AM.
A r c h i no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #37
Edward
Glitter & Grease

Likes (Received): 3

i love it
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #38
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

impressive development!
Some of the designs are rather bland, but these last images are certainly more promising!
taboe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #39
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Update on Site 5b and Site 6:

Quote:
Out with Zaha Hadid and in with Sir Norman Foster:

Melbourne, are you ready to be Fosterised?

Royce Millar
May 14, 2008
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...e#contentSwap1

ONE of the world's pre-eminent architects, Norman Foster, who is regarded as "Mr Landmark", has been hired to put a signature stamp on Australia's biggest and most expensive office and housing projects at Melbourne's Docklands.

Well-placed property industry sources yesterday confirmed that the prolific London-based company Foster+ Partners would shape a $1.5 billion scheme proposed by Middle Eastern investment company Sama Dubai for Collins Street.

Foster+ Partners is renowned for iconic designs in cities worldwide from Bilbao and Berlin to Beijing, including the contentious Swiss Tower (known as "the Gherkin") in London, the Lumiere residences Sydney, the Hearst Tower in New York and the Reichstag dome restoration in Berlin. It has designed one of the new towers at the World Trade Centre in New York.

The firm's founder Lord Foster, 72, was recently described in an Australian newspaper as "the architect whose stamp on the British capital is exceeded only by Sir Christopher Wren's in the late 17th century".

On the Sama project in Melbourne, Lord Foster, a winner of architecture's most prestigious award, the Pritzker prize, will replace another Pritzker winner, Iraqi-born, London-based Zaha Hadid. Last year The Age revealed Ms Hadid was the project's lead architect. It is not clear why she is no longer involved.

News of Sama Dubai's and Ms Hadid's parting of ways had led to speculation that the Docklands project had collapsed. But State Government sources denied this yesterday and insisted the proposal was alive and well.

Royal Australian Institute of Architects president Carl Fender welcomed the prospect of a major international firm working in his hometown.

"I don't have a problem with great architecture being produced by great architects from other countries. I don't think we're so parochial. It's obvious he's (Norman Foster) produced some of the great talking points of architecture," said Mr Fender, a partner of prominent Melbourne firm Fender Katsalidis.

Sources have confirmed the project is larger than earlier thought, with as much as 250,000 square metres of commercial and residential floorspace over two prized Docklands sites and decking over Wurundjeri Way. It boasts a minimum six-star green rating and sophisticated water features.

An important theme will be the re-establishment and celebration of Batmans Hill, once a city focal point and location of Melbourne founder John Batman's home from 1836. The hill, now more of a rise, was levelled to make way for Spencer Street Station in the mid-1860s.

The Sama Dubai proposal has been controversial due to the involvement of John Tabart, the former VicUrban chief executive, who helped put together the scheme for Sama. Mr Tabart is not involved in negotiations with the State Government development agency, VicUrban, which oversees Docklands. Sources close to Sama insist Mr Tabart is no longer involved in the Docklands project and is now based in London working with construction firm Laing O'Rourke.

In September 2006, VicUrban agreed to deal exclusively with Sama over the Batman Hill sites for three months. Negotiations have now drawn out for 20 months.

Commenting on the length of the negotiations, VicUrban chief executive Pru Sanderson said: "This is one of the biggest projects on one of the most significant development sites in Melbourne. It would be naive to expect that a developer would have everything in place for such a development within a short period."

Local developers competing for the sites are peeved at what they claim is special treatment for Sama.

Yesterday a VicUrban spokesman said that as a matter of policy the agency did not disclose details of negotiations over Docklands sites.

He did confirm VicUrban negotiations with a developer for that area but there was "currently an exclusivity arrangement in place".

The director of Sama Dubai Australia, Pat Smith, declined to comment.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:58 AM   #40
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Melbourne is already an ace city. Love it.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote