daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2008, 06:14 AM   #41
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Likes (Received): 81

Another update on the Sama/Foster Project:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbournee12 View Post
Looks like one of the SAMA towers are going to be 90 Stories!!!!
Definately over 300m now! WOOOT!!!

Taken from todays AFR story Leighton looks for Devine inspiration
http://www.afr.com/home/viewer.aspx?...ne+inspiration

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #42
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Some new renders of 717 Bourke St

Old July 28th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #43
oriental_horizon

Likes (Received): 3

Anyone knows where Costco will be located in Docklands. Costco will be having massive warehouse supermarket to challegene the duopoly of the Aussie supermarkets of Woolies and Coles.
oriental_horizon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #44
MelbourneMaverick

two supertalls in melbourne would be very good.
MelbourneMaverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #45
Alphaville

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneMaverick View Post
two supertalls in melbourne would be very good.
you think ?
Alphaville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #46
MelbourneMaverick

Yeah thats why I said it.
MelbourneMaverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM   #47
A r c h i
Render Monkey

New renders of 735 Collins Street/Quattro thanks to Shumway.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM   #48
A r c h i
Render Monkey

City waterfront park planned for Docklands

Quote:
John Masanauskas

August 02, 2008 12:00am

MELBOURNE will have a major new park under a $90 million redevelopment of the Docklands waterfront.

To be known as Melbourne's Verandah, the park will feature a sculptural covered walkway, water deck and separate areas for relaxation and activity.

Existing tram lines and roadway on Harbour Esplanade will be moved back within a tree-lined boulevard to create more green space.

The 700m-long park will run between Docklands Drive and Bourke St to connect the waterfront precinct with attractions such as Telstra Dome and the traditional CBD.

VicUrban CEO Pru Sanderson said yesterday that the new park would be an oasis amid the hustle and bustle of Docklands areas such as NewQuay, Waterfront City and Victoria Harbour.

"There will be things like bocce courts, fishing spots, places to fly kites and to kick a ball with your kids," she said.

Ms Sanderson said space would also be set aside for more relaxing activities such as jazz performances.

The 5.6ha area will also feature a boardwalk, gardens and a bike path. The project will be available for public comment for two weeks at the Docklands community hub, and workshops with key groups will be held over the next month.

Ms Sanderson said that she expected Melburnians to embrace the city's first park since Birrarung Marr.

"The concept is inspired by sites such as the banks of the Yarra River, and it's designed to celebrate where the water comes to Melbourne's front door," she said.

"We're saying to people: 'Here's a range of uses we've thought about, what do you reckon and do you have any other ideas that you'd like us to consider?' "

The concept by architects Black Kosloff Knott and Taylor Cullity Lethlean was based on an initial round of community consultations last year.

The detailed design phase will start after the latest consultation phase and VicUrban will then submit plans to the State Government.

The first stage of the project is due to open next year.
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #49
Anberlin

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
sorry bout that

story in todays fin rev
LEND LEASE PLANS DOCKLANDS TOWER
LL have lodged plans for a $200mil tower for waterside precinct.
The 30 level tower on Bourke st will be known as V5, will include 212 units with 1600sqm retail.
The Bates Smart designed tower is a curved shape to reflect waterside location.

image hosted on flickr

so this tower is one next to white model of dock5?

Dock 5 has a friend now
Anberlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #50
Gonzalo90uy

Likes (Received): 2

Melbourne... one of my favourite cities.

The project, fantastic.
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #51
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

ANZ Headquarters

Found this pic in my collection of HDR images

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #52
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Myer HQ @ Victoria Harbour:

Thanks to Grollo.
Old September 28th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #53
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Thanks to silvermb. Some new projects:

Convesso (30-storeys, 90m+) Concavo (36-storeys, 100m+), Victoria Harbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermb View Post
Tower 8 @ Yarra's Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermb View Post
T8 looks about 150m, 9 & 10 about 130m

Old October 11th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #54
A r c h i
Render Monkey

Yet another tower, this time at NewQuay. Harbour 1, 22-storeys tall:

Old July 8th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #55
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

Tightest squeezes in our city living spaces
9 July 2009
The Australian

IT may seem a simple question but it is surprisingly difficult to answer: where is the most densely populated part of Australia? Some would argue that the towers that line Melbourne's Southbank and Sydney's Darling Harbour house most people per square metre of land, and they would be right.

But this is not the concept of density that interests me. A series of towers interspersed by parkland and open space doesn't deliver urban density in, say, the Manhattan sense.

What I am interested in is the most densely populated square kilometre in Australia, not that this area needs to be a neat square shape but it must be characterised by a geographic agglomeration of sorts.

I have scanned the 2006 census and conclude that on this measure there is one square kilometre that stands apart: Sydney's Kings Cross accommodates 18,900 residents (and visitors) between Bourke Street and Rushcutter's Bay. The second most densely populated square kilometre is located 2km southwest of the Cross at Surry Hills, where 13,000 residents cram between Oxford and Devonshire Streets.

Part of the reason why these precincts contain so many residents is that both were part of 19th century Sydney's walking city. They contain a mix of Victorian terrace housing and 20th century apartment stock that accommodate a colourful community of gays, young professionals, singles, expats, DINK couples and divorcees as well as a fair complement of assorted down-and-outs.

Oddly it is not Docklands that delivers most Melburnians per square metre but the rapidly evolving student quarter in the CBD centred on the former police headquarters of D24 in Russell Street.

This CBD quarter, as well as Carlton between Rathdowne and Swanston Streets, delivers 9400 residents in a single square kilometre. Carlton is to Melbourne what Surry Hills is to Sydney: both are terrace housing strongholds augmented by flanking apartment towers. (Terrace housing offers accommodation on less than 200sqm.)

Densities in Brisbane are greatest in New Farm between Brunswick and Macquarie Streets, where 6000 people live in a single square kilometre. The housing stock in New Farm is not Victorian terrace but rather early 20th-century modest. Originally the area housed workers for the nearby wharves. The manual labourers left a generation ago and the area was quickly gentrified by young professionals seeking river proximity and access to the CBD.

The Brisbane story is repeated in Perth, where Victoria Park between the Canning Highway and Rathay Street accommodates 4000 residents in a square kilometre. Victoria Park is not unlike New Farm in its housing stock, its relationship to the CBD and its proximity to the capital's river.

Neither place, however, has the towers, the terrace housing density, or the late 20th-century walk-up flats that are necessary to get densities above 10,000 per square kilometre.

Adelaide is different. For much of the city's history the most densely populated precincts have clustered around Unley, Glenelg, North Adelaide and even parts of Norwood, but the 2006 census has uncovered something quite extraordinary in Adelaide. The most densely populated square kilometre is now located in suburban Paralowie 20km north of the CBD.

The area bounded by Deuter, Burton and Bolivar roads and largely constructed in the past decade has 3400 residents.

The housing stock in Paralowie is a contemporary version of suburbia -- small blocks, token front yard, housing built almost to the side fence line. And in these tight ``efficient'' urban boxes live families with children.

Oh, and this particular precinct is not interspersed with open space. Here is evidence that suburbia can be delivered efficiently in a low-density format.

No need to corral and horse-whip families into apartments; simply follow the Paralowie model. Where are people thickest in Canberra? Contrary to popular opinion it's not the parliamentary triangle. It is in fact the suburb of Palmerston in the new town of Gungahlin, where 4300 residents cram into a square kilometre between Gundaroo and Nudurr drives.

Palmerston and Paralowie are two examples of how consolidation is being delivered in a low-density family-friendly format.

Hobart residents bunch up in Battery Point, where Australia's cutest but tight Georgian housing delivers 3200 residents per square kilometre.

In Darwin it is Coconut Grove, where 2300 people jam together (by Top End standards) into a single square kilometre.

But how do these densities, ranging from barely 2000 to 19,000 people per square kilometre, compare with people hotspots in other world cities? Paris tops out at 42,000 residents in the 11th arrondissement off Boulevard Voltaire while New York delivers 59,000 in the Upper East Side (around E86th Street).

Parts of Hong Kong deliver more than 400,000 residents per square kilometre. The form here, as in New York, is a series of collocated towers. Paris opts for apartment buildings jammed cheek-by-jowl but rising no more than five to six levels.

Even these densities are exceeded in third-world slums. Densities are said to reach more than half a million per square kilometre in Mumbai's Dharavi slum. Similar densities are believed to apply in the slums of Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Australia's housing form in suburbia generally delivers a population density of about 2000 per square kilometre.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #56
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Melbourne left trailing in capital city rent returns
7 July 2009
The Age

MELBOURNE rents may be the most affordable of any Australian capital city.

The report by RP Data showed Melbourne landlords made less money on rental property investments than their counterparts in other states in the three months to March 31.

Melbourne landlords made 4.2 per cent returns on the median price of houses and 4.8 per cent on units, compared with the highest national returns in Darwin, where houses returned 6.4 per cent and units 6.1 per cent.

Landlords in Melbourne's inner city fared better than those in the middle and outer suburbs, as rents within 10 kilometres of the CBD continued to squeeze tenants.

Inner-city units and apartments proved to be the best-performing local investments, with Carlton units attracting the highest rents relative to property prices in the March quarter.

A median priced $225,000 Carlton unit attracted rent of $370 a week, with Burnley, Melbourne CBD, Southbank and Docklands the next most expensive.

When it came to houses, rents were at a premium in Collingwood, where the median house price was $555,000 and attracted a median rent of $550. It was followed by Parkville, South Kingsville, Abbotsford and Port Melbourne.

RP Data research analyst Cameron Kusher said tenants wanted units more than houses in the inner city, giving landlords comparatively higher returns, because they were a more affordable way of living close to work, public transport and the cultural heart of the city.

Nationwide, returns on house and unit rentals within 10 kilometres of the city centre grew the most, helped by sluggish property values and low vacancy rates, the property research group said.

Mr Kusher said growth on returns for landlords was "exceptional" last year in capital cities but predicted most would now plateau or even fall.

Australian Property Monitors chief economist Matthew Bell said the report was evidence that prices of "Melbourne houses are generally lower compared to houses in other capital cities".

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #57
hkskyline
Hong Kong

$2bn in inner-city flats put off
28 May 2009
The Age

PLANNED apartments worth more than $2 billion have been shelved or abandoned in inner Melbourne because of the financial crisis.

Projects affected since September include the $700 million Jam Factory redevelopment in Chapel Street, South Yarra, and failed venture WeLive's 320 apartments at Southbank.

At least 3155 apartments or units planned for the CBD, Fitzroy, St Kilda, South Yarra, Docklands, North Melbourne and Collingwood have also been shelved or abandoned, according to figures collated by Colliers International for The Age.

The drop-off could put hundreds of building jobs at risk and worsen the inner-city rental squeeze.

The figures are based on the status of development applications kept by Building and Construction Interchange Australia, a leading provider of building information.

They are likely to spur on supporters of the Commonwealth's proposed $4 billion Australian Business Investment Partnership - or "RuddBank" - that would fund commercial property players struggling for finance. The Senate is yet to vote on the proposal.

Freehills law firm partner David Sinn, who advises developers in gaining finance, said difficulty in securing loans and their high cost was making some projects unviable, despite strong demand. "Basically, the banks are in a position at the moment where they feel they are overexposed to the property market and are very reluctant to provide any further funding," he said.

A spokesman for Jam Factory owner Challenger said it had wanted to reduce debt by attracting a joint-venture partner since the start of the year but none suitable was forthcoming and the site was put on the market last week.

Challenger planned at least one high-rise apartment block at the Jam Factory with a 100-room hotel, office space and shops.

The halting of apartment projects has implications for the State Government's plans to increase housing density.

The trend is also bad news for CBD renters.

Economic forecaster BIS Shrapnel has predicted no relief to the undersupply of housing forecast within three years.

Its report last week on the Melbourne apartment market forecast that current high rents would rise by between 5 and 10per cent a year until 2011.

City property manager Kate Rigter, of Leasing Melbourne, said she received an average of 60 inquiries for each unfurnished rental apartment cheaper than $500 a week. Demand for one-bedroom apartments was strong.

Old July 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #58
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Yarra's Edge tower to test the waters
20 May 2009
Australian Financial Review (Abstracts)

Mirvac plans to start marketing is sixth residential tower by the end of 2009 that will test demand for middle and upper-end apartments in Melbourne’s Docklands. The $240 million project is expected to have around 128 apartments. Other residential towers being sold in the vast waterside development include MAB’s Harbour One (H1) and Vivas Lend Leases’s Convesso Concavo, but have not reached enough pre-sales to warrant the start of construction. Mirvac chief executive Nick Collishaw said enough prospective buyers were making inquiries so that Mirvac would consider building a sixth tower in its Yarra’s Edge precinct on the market. MAB chief operating officer Guy Pahor said pre-commitments for its $180 million residential tower in the New Quay precinct would need to reach 50 to 60 before the project would start.

Lend leases’s chief operating officer Paul Shaw said the developer was aiming to be realistic instead of cautious in its approach to building the $250 billion Viva Lend Lease’s Convesso Concava project.

Docklands, MAB’s Harbour One Vivas Lend Leases Convesso Concavo, Nick Collishaw, Yarra’s Edge precinct, Guy Pahor, New Quay precinct, Lend Leases, Paul Shaw, Viva Lend Lease.

Old November 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #59
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Another bar at Docklands
7 November 2009
The Age

VICTORIA'S planning tribunal has approved another large bar for the Docklands, despite objections from police, liquor licensing authorities and the Melbourne City Council.

The Woolshed Pub on Central Pier will cater for 675 people and open until 1am.

Last week, Planning Minister Justin Madden's department approved Platform 28, capable of holding 750 people, in the Docklands, and Premier John Brumby attacked the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal for approving a 1500-patron nightclub in South Melbourne.

VCAT this week granted a licence for the Woolshed, reducing the capacity from 1445.

A spokeswoman for Consumer Affairs Minister Tony Robinson said: "Because of the Government's freeze on late-night licences, the licence was not granted past 1am. We are pleased that patron numbers were halved."

Melbourne councillor Peter Clarke said the decision showed the Government had no control over liquor licensing in the Docklands and this would be the 67th bar in the area.

"In the past two weeks we've had 1500 more bar patrons allowed in the Docklands, encouraged by the Government," he said

Opposition consumer affairs spokesman Michael O'Brien said VCAT was applying the Government's laws.

"If John Brumby wants to stop turning Docklands into Liquorland, he needs to make sure the laws reflect his rhetoric and he's clearly failed to do that."

Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:55 AM   #60
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Victoria Harbour and Batman's Hill by uewepuep:

MYER is basically complete bar the fit out and 717 Bourke St is in its final stages.

New Quay and Waterfront cityby uewepuep:

Not much change. Wheel has almost all gone and luxury townhouses have begun. Also two (pretty bad) office buildings and the giant COSTCO supermarket have gone up.

ANZ world HQ has also finished. Londoner took this one:

image hosted on flickr

And these are by Grollo:

gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote