daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
4-Way stops 28 20.90%
Roundabouts 104 77.61%
Neither 10 7.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 7th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #81
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

There are quite a lot of those 4-way stops here in Malmö actually, even on some smaller streets in the inner city. Round-abouts are pretty much everywhere though.

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #82
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18209

Roundabouts - much easier to navigate heavy traffic safely

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #83
TooFar
moonage daydream

Likes (Received): 377

The problem I find in Quebec is that it appears that the Department of Roads just wack a stop sign in people’s front lawns with little consideration for visibility. Combine that with a sidewalk the starts at the curb and no white line at the intersection and maybe a tree, means you often don’t see the stop sign until the very last moment.

From what I remember in Australia, there was always a stop sign in the middle of the road, between the two lanes, and also a white line. Making it very clear that you had to stop.
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:21 AM   #84
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

i think the US should have more roundabouts instead of 4-way stops. roundabouts are more safe because you can see whats coming. as opposed to 4 -ways where you can't nomarly can't see whos coming!
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:50 AM   #85
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
I tell you what pisses me off, the mini roundabouts they are putting in everywhere and theres no surprise that they do this kind of thing in march when they realise they have underspent the local transport budget.
Well, at least in the UK those mini roundabouts still have the same regulations as other roundabouts (yield to those already in roundabouts, etc). In the USA, they also put mini "traffic circles" in residential areas for the only purpose to reduce the speed. However, most of the time they don't have yield signs at the entrance, so if I am already in this traffic circle planning to turn left or make a U-turn, I have no idea whether the oncoming traffic will yield to me or not. Should I even mention that a typical American driver has no idea about "yield to the right" rule at uncontrolled intersections?

Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #86
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 130

In Australia we have mainly used roundabouts for most small intersections. Up until about 10 years ago when they started building some rather large dual lane roundabouts on main roads. They work great in my opinion, even if they get pretty busy there is still alot less wait that at lights. Have never seen 4 way stop signs, sounds messy and slow to me.
scotdaliney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #87
Coneslammer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotdaliney View Post
In Australia we have mainly used roundabouts for most small intersections. Up until about 10 years ago when they started building some rather large dual lane roundabouts on main roads. They work great in my opinion, even if they get pretty busy there is still alot less wait that at lights. Have never seen 4 way stop signs, sounds messy and slow to me.
I think there's a couple here in Sydney, around Lane Cove I think.
Coneslammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #88
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

In california Im used to 4 way stops, at very large intersections.

One near my house has 8 lanes each way.

(south three lanes)||left | ^ | ^ | ^ | right

Meanwhile, Boston is a mix. A bunch of small (2 lane) 4 way stops and roundabouts (called rotarys)

In Brazil, you have neither. Either a stoplight, or a priority. That is, one road has to stop, the other doesnt.
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #89
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post

That seems a bit ridiculous. How would anyone be able to keep track of who got to the intersection first?
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #90
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

Meanwhile, Boston is a mix. A bunch of small (2 lane) 4 way stops and roundabouts (called rotarys)

In Brazil, you have neither. Either a stoplight, or a priority. That is, one road has to stop, the other doesnt.
That's insane!
I consider an intersection with 2x2 roads to be very large and quite confusing if it uses 4-way stops. On a road like you described we would likely have traffic lights with a left turn arrow. That's crazy.
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #91
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

How about a five-road two-way roundabout?

The "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon, west of London, U.K.:

There are five mini-roundabouts, one at each of the roads that meets it. You can either go clockwise around the outside lanes, or anti-clockwise around the inside lanes. Apparently it works quite well at handling the traffic. The locals are of course used to it but visitors who aren't might find themselves literally going around in circles!
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #92
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

A similar thread exists in the OzScrapers (Australia & New Zealand) forum: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=568250 (Traffic Lights or Roundabouts?)
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #93
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:

Rotarys and roundabouts are two very different forms of intersections. The former being inefficient and dangerous the second safe and efficient.
scotdaliney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #94
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc View Post
How about a five-road two-way roundabout?

The "Magic Roundabout" in Swindon, west of London, U.K.:

There are five mini-roundabouts, one at each of the roads that meets it. You can either go clockwise around the outside lanes, or anti-clockwise around the inside lanes. Apparently it works quite well at handling the traffic. The locals are of course used to it but visitors who aren't might find themselves literally going around in circles!
Ahem! http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...7&postcount=39
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:33 AM   #95
sk

here in nicosia we have dozens of roundabouts,they are the worst thing that could happen to this city.
traffic jams are a daily phenomenon at roundabouts.
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #96
konthaimaitalorkan

Likes (Received): 1

Runabout makes the traffic goes smoothly unless if the traffic are heavy ot the driver don't know how to use it.

Like the Victory Monument in Bangkok.Traffic Lights are installed. Don't worry of pedestrian, they use skywalk above.

Last edited by konthaimaitalorkan; January 22nd, 2008 at 04:20 PM.
konthaimaitalorkan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #97
sk

the problem here is the heavy traffic.
they installed traffic lights in a roundabout in another cypriot city and i think its working better
Old January 20th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #98
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

The regional government here has embarked on a plan to convert congested intersections to roundabouts. A few weeks ago a small scandal occurred when one city council passed a bylaw to restrict adult entertainment facilities. Why? Because the only one in the city was located next to a congested three-way intersection, which the regional government wanted to convert into a roundabout. Thus there were complaints the government was in a conspiracy to force the strip club out of business and enable them to demolish it and pave it over.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM   #99
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 28

Round abouts are much safer and efficient, 4 way stop signs are just idiotic because A) their confusing B) You can miss them when their obscured by a tree or something C) You have to come to a complete stop every time you enter one(those who say they dont stop, well they do ticket that in every jurisdiction in north America, though if there is no traffic around then sure lots of people dont come to a complete stop) D) when there is heavy enough traffic then it gets insanely confusing and just stupid because if there is a continual stream of cars from every direction then no one ever really knows who goes next because the pattern is set by the first car too stop even if that car stopped there hours ago. The only benefit of a 4way stop is that it takes up less room and its more direct and safer for pedestrians and bicycles. Though if there is that much traffic to warant a 4 way stop sign then there should be lights, if there isnt then one side should have the right of way and the other a stop sign. To make this safer you designate some roads as primary like in Europe. Residential streets that have no traffic should just fucntion like uncontroled intersections where you yield to the right. Roundabouts dont fit well in to a city because they take up alot of room and arent the best for pedestrians and bicyclists. Though for streets in the suburbs or outside of the city or just a place where they fit in to the sorounding area they are the most efficient for busy intersections.
All in all north america has some stupid traffic rules but in many places people are starting to come to their senses and make changes. Though not enough.
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM   #100
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Who has the right of way in American round-abouts anyway? The one who's entering the round-about, of the one who's already on it?

Last edited by Jeroen669; January 22nd, 2008 at 02:56 PM.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote