daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
4-Way stops 28 20.90%
Roundabouts 104 77.61%
Neither 10 7.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM   #101
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republica View Post
Sorry. I didn't realise that someone had already mentioned it!
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:56 PM   #102
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
Who has the right of way in American round-abouts anyway? The one who's entering the round-about, of the one who's already on it?
At modern roundabouts, the entering traffic has to yield to those already in the roundabout. However, there is a lot of traffic circles that don't follow the roundabout rules (i.e. have STOP signs, have pedestrian crosswalk through the middle of the circle, etc).
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #103
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I found a nice video on Youtube of a combination of two roundabouts in the US (Arizona), filmed from every possible angle

Old January 30th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #104
Alex Von Königsberg

Sweet video It also breaks the stereotype that American drivers are not able to navigate roundabouts. They should built more of these in the US.
Old January 31st, 2008, 05:34 PM   #105
Bitxofo
ˇViva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3674

Roundabouts, in my opinion.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:42 AM   #106
TheCat

A Canadian (BC) website that introduces roundabouts, and also links to a US-made video about how to properly use a multi-lane roundabout:
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/popular-topi...oundabouts.htm
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM   #107
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
At modern roundabouts, the entering traffic has to yield to those already in the roundabout. However, there is a lot of traffic circles that don't follow the roundabout rules (i.e. have STOP signs, have pedestrian crosswalk through the middle of the circle, etc).
Those older ones (almost entirely in the northeastern USA) will likely be phased out over the next couple of decades.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM   #108
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
I found a nice video on Youtube of a combination of two roundabouts in the US (Arizona), filmed from every possible angle

The Wisconsin (a USA state) Department of Transportation (WisDOT) has been going hog-wild with roundabouts over the past few years, including proposing 24(!) of them at the sidestreet interchanges and intersections in the forthcoming US 41 freeway reconstruction in the Green Bay, WI area. WisDOT is also planning four roundabouts at a US 41 interchange in nearby Neenah, WI (two at the ramp intersections and one each at the two adjacent frontage roads). Right now, that interchange (Breezewood Lane/Bell St - interchange 129) has nasty traffic backups on its main street throughout most of the day.

I can think of a whole bunch of other places in eastern Wisconsin where roundabouts would be the ideal traffic solution, too.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #109
kokanee2

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFar View Post
Which do you prefer?

I must say that growing up with roundabouts, they appear to make more sense and keep traffic flowing. However the downside is that you can wait an eternity to enter if traffic if heavy in one direction.

4-way stops are a pain in the rear, especially in Montreal where they appear at most intersections, stop-start all the time. And then when you arrive at the same time as another car, it turns into a game of chicken.
Well... there seems to be a lot of good opinions on this topic.

In Canada, the western history entailed round-abouts in the late 1950's. I think because the canadian sentiment at that time was about rules, that the round-abouts were too relaxed.

I know of one round-about in Victoria, BC that got eliminated because there was a daily accident. Naturally, the fact that seven roads met here had nothing to do with it.

In Edmonton, AB, there's been one round-about that has stood the test of time since at least the 1960's.

In Surrey, BC, round-abouts were introduced in the late 1980's to slow down traffic. That seems to have worked, and since then, they have gone to be installed in Vancouver and elsewhere.

I disagree with the fact that round-abouts are not good in downtown traffic. I was once in London, England for a year, and traversed various round-abouts in serious traffic.

I think it comes down to driver attitude. Either you're mentally "there" while driving, or you're in remote control.

In 2000, I travelled through Europe, and was astounded at how many round-abouts there were in the countryside in Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Italy. I came to the conclusion that round-abouts were to be favoured over four-way stops and traffic lights, because they kept traffic flowing. No need for electricity, and no problems with power outages.

As an improved canadian solution, fourway yields (like is the rule in Alberta) could be an improvement over fourway stops.

Traductor Google: Ingles -> Espanol http://translate.google.com/translate_t#en|es|
Google Translate: Spanish -> English http://translate.google.com/translate_t#
kokanee2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #110
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokanee2 View Post
As an improved canadian solution, fourway yields (like is the rule in Alberta) could be an improvement over fourway stops.
That's very interesting, because I proposed this previously, but mainly as a joke. Would 4-way yield actually work? In this case it is a little difficult to judge who arrives at an intersection first from a legal standpoint, even though, of course, 4-way stops function similar to 4-way yields in practice, since almost no one stops (at least here in Ontario most people don't, since it's rarely enforced).
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #111
Alex Von Königsberg

I don't think 4-way yields would work. They sure will keep traffic flowing, but in terms of accident rate... I don't know. The advantage of roundabouts over usual intersections is that the earlier reduce the number of points at which the accidents are most likely to occur. Plus, roundabouts' geometry is such that cars are forced to slow down while navigating the roundabout even if the way is clear - the reduced speed will reduce the likelihood of serious injuries should an accident occur anyway.

The only reason traffic engineers in America are reluctant to build more roundabouts is because it is widely believed that the American public is afraid of the progress. Especially, if it comes from Europe So-called "Euro-phobia" if you will.
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #112
SmarterChild

^ I would say that 4-way yields are about as common as 4-way stops in Sweden, they function equally good but I think 4-way yields are preferable.
SmarterChild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #113
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

4-way yields, is that just the same as all the unregulated (signless) crossings in Europe?
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #114
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Nope
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #115
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

4-way stop means you enter a crossing, and the first one at the intersection has the right of way. In Europe, the "yield to the right" is more common.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #116
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

According to the post of konakee2 a 4-way stop is something different then a 4-way yield.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #117
Alex Von Königsberg

I think there is a common misunderstanding on this forum as to what "4-way yields" is. It is a fictitious form of intersection that doesn't exist - it would be created by replacing STOP signs with YIELD signs at 4-way STOP intersections. What you have in Europe is either uncontrolled intersections (traffic on the right has the priority), roundabouts, or regulated intersections ("main road" and "secondary road" are clearly marked by appropriate signs).
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #118
SmarterChild

^ Yup. Thou Im aware of the difference between 4-way yields and other types of intersections.

4 way-yields are signed like this:
[img]http://i31.************/2r5gg8z.png[/img]

As opposed regulated intersections which are signed like this:

[IMG]http://i30.************/9ptct5.jpg[/IMG]

Eitherway, I don't understand why some people talk about Europe as if it was one country with identical traffic signs/rules/habits.
SmarterChild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #119
Alex Von Königsberg

What does "Flervägs - väjning" mean? Probably, I should not have generalised the entire Europe
Old February 5th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #120
Ćsahćttr

Likes (Received): 5

Roundabouts! 4-way stops; people have a sense of self-entitlement that usually ends in many accidents.