daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 21st, 2010, 03:55 AM   #261
engenx4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Photo br 116

Săo paulo

Last edited by engenx4; July 21st, 2010 at 04:03 AM.
engenx4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:19 AM   #262
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Yes, it`s nice city, in fact I realy love it but it`s not so beautifle as your awesome capital Budapest. I am realy happy to go there (after 2 weeks) on this thursday.

Btw, big part of old Pressburg`s city was damage/rebuild mostly because of roads and other transport solutions.

I like very much bratislava, but that road trough old city centre is the biggest stupidity I've ever seen. the bridge looks nice though, but the road then...
why did they build so?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:43 AM   #263
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

Some pics of I-94 in Detroit

1949 building the Ford Fwy throught midtown 8 years later when Interstate Act was signed it would designated I-94

Notice the stairs to the freeway bus stop

From the overpass in the first pic above in 1955

This interchange between M-10 and I-94 was first freeway to freeway interchange in the US

urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:48 PM   #264
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
It's probably the first motorway in history:

I beg to differ.
This section of the Milano-Torino was opened in 1932, but the first Italian autostrada, and probably one of the first in the world, was the Milano-Laghi (Milan-Lakes), in 1924:

This picture is about its grand opening.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM   #265
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

If I'm correct, those early Autostrada's did not feature separation of directions (like the 1920's New York Parkways) and can therefor not be considered true motorways. The first motorway to have at least 2x2 lanes, grade separation and direction separation intended for public use was Autobahn A5 Frankfurt - Darmstadt in 1935.

The term "Autobahn" has also been used for the current A555 Köln - Bonn which opened in 1932, but also did not feature separation of directions.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 02:12 PM   #266
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If I'm correct, those early Autostrada's did not feature separation of directions (like the 1920's New York Parkways) and can therefor not be considered true motorways.
Yeah, you're probably right. The definition of autostrada back then was different: "a road (strada) built expressly for cars (auto)"

Until 2001 in Italy there still were parts of A6 Turin - Savona with a single carriageway
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM   #267
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
If I'm correct, those early Autostrada's did not feature separation of directions (like the 1920's New York Parkways) and can therefor not be considered true motorways. The first motorway to have at least 2x2 lanes, grade separation and direction separation intended for public use was Autobahn A5 Frankfurt - Darmstadt in 1935.
Nothing in the New York area had separation of directions before 1935? I'm not doubting you, but that surprises me.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #268
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I believe it became common in the second half of the 1930's. For example the Southern State Parkway was built eastward over time, and initially didn't feature a median until they got further on Long Island (somewhere in the late 1930's).

It is possible that bridges did have a median, which are now included in the general expressway system. But I doubt if they were considered as such back then.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 03:19 PM   #269
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I believe it became common in the second half of the 1930's. For example the Southern State Parkway was built eastward over time, and initially didn't feature a median until they got further on Long Island (somewhere in the late 1930's).

It is possible that bridges did have a median, which are now included in the general expressway system. But I doubt if they were considered as such back then.
I just came across (at nycroads.com) a 1936 photo of the West Side Highway, with a divider in it. That road was opened around 1930. I've seen, somewhere, years ago, a photo of it when it was brand new and I believe it was divided. Can't spend another minute on this now....
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:20 AM   #270
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

I have read a number of eastcoast roads were already divided in the 1920-ies, but not completely grade-seperated.

In 1927 grade seperation was still not common, as roadplans were still in a juvenile stadium those days... http://www.autosnelwegen.nl/asw/galerie/aks13.jpg

(designing a diamond and using it as a clover leaf...)
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 03:37 AM   #271
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
I have read a number of eastcoast roads were already divided in the 1920-ies, but not completely grade-seperated.

In 1927 grade seperation was still not common, as roadplans were still in a juvenile stadium those days... http://www.autosnelwegen.nl/asw/galerie/aks13.jpg

(designing a diamond and using it as a clover leaf...)
Well, my line of thinking was that lots of limited-access roads in the New York area - Long Island and north suburban parkway systems, some expressways in the city itself, some roads in New Jersey - were open by 1935, and I'd be surprised (although not very) if they were all undivided.

The first real cloverleaf in the US opened in 1928 or '29 near Woodbridge, New Jersey. It's now the junction of US 1/9 and NJ 35, and no longer a cloverleaf.

While we're on this, "the Power Broker," a biography of Robert Moses, who was the main idea man behind the New York area highway system from the 20s into the 60s, is fascinating reading, if long....

PS: I can't open that JPEG. "No deeplinking," even if you're the owner of the site, apparently. :-) I'll try it the other way....

PS2: Okay, I've seen the picture. Ouch! That interchange is still there, but presumably turns that ought to be prohobited are: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...13711&t=k&z=16. I didn't know Lake Shore Drive was that old.

Last edited by Penn's Woods; July 23rd, 2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 03:55 AM   #272
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

This is the most stupid thing I ever heard of. You can'z click a link, yo you hafe to go to the websoite, were you waste your time searching for the pic what you don't know what it looks like. Thumbs down, autosnelwegen.nl!
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:14 AM   #273
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

(Or you copy it into your browser window.)
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM   #274
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
I like very much bratislava, but that road trough old city centre is the biggest stupidity I've ever seen. the bridge looks nice though, but the road then...
why did they build so?
It was needed to connect new city part Petržalka (130 000 inh.) with old town, there was just one bridge in Bratislava before.

so again..

in the past

now with road called "Staromestská ulica" - in English "Oldtown street"

near the church

now in the opposite direction

seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 08:47 PM   #275
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alqaszar View Post
This is the most stupid thing I ever heard of. You can'z click a link, yo you hafe to go to the websoite, were you waste your time searching for the pic what you don't know what it looks like. Thumbs down, autosnelwegen.nl!
Just copy it in an empty browser tab, problem solved.
The site has a protection against deeplinking because the traffic isn't free for the site-owner.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:58 PM   #276
blogen_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
It was needed to connect new city part Petržalka (130 000 inh.) with old town, there was just one bridge in Bratislava before.

so again..

Why do they not sink the motorway to underpasses? It would be possible to rehabilitate the city above the underpass.

Last edited by blogen_; July 23rd, 2010 at 11:30 PM.
blogen_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:57 PM   #277
seem
Mornar bez mora

It was build up in communist state so urbanism was not that good, they didn`t care about some crapy and shanty old town.

Now there are many plans to rebuilt this area.

Btw, it`s not a motorway, just normal road in a city.

like another one near the main railway station (Hlavná Stanica)

Šancová ulica - literally - "Chance street"

and now

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:57 PM   #278
seem
Mornar bez mora

It was build up in communist state so urbanism was not that good, they didn`t care about some crapy and shanty old town.

Now there are many plans to rebuilt this area.

Btw, it`s not a motorway, just normal road in a city.

like another one near the main railway station (Hlavná Stanica)

and now

Old July 24th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #279
blogen_
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
The modernistic destruction was not a communist privilege. The modernisation raged in many Western European cities!

Quote:
This is Sánc (Schanz) street! Sánc/Schanz = trench/fortification. The fortification was built up in 1775 and protected the suburbs. The street's and the fortification's line is identical.
blogen_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #280
seem
Mornar bez mora

I don`t know about any fortification built up in these parts of Old town in the 1775. Fortification of the old town was damaged by Maria Theresa in 1775. So not built up and not in this area.

just black marked area - http://www.culture.gov.sk/pk/sl/mksr/dok01/rez7.gif