daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #1241
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

But in Romania, as well as Poland and Lithuania there are a lot of RHD's about anyway I believe. Imported from the UK. Some of them even still got UK plates. Also a lot of French plated import cars around...
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #1242
bogdymol
bogdymod

Yes, there are a lot of cars driving around Romania that are registered everywhere around Europe (many of them registered in UK or Ireland... so RHD). There are even cars imported from UK, with RHD, that are registered in Romania.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 05:00 PM   #1243
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
(...)as well as Poland (...)there are a lot of RHD's about anyway I believe. Imported from the UK. Some of them even still got UK plates.
Basicallly there are not, maybe few, mostly during Christmass or Easters. Until recently, there was the ban on registration of RHD cars, but EU authorities state is against EU law.

Quote:
Also a lot of French plated import cars around...
Very occasionally, long ago I have not seen.

Last edited by SRC_100; January 17th, 2016 at 05:06 PM.
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:45 PM   #1244
Metra

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
I love to drive on DW 142. Its like the forgotten motorway. An old secret motorway from the past. And also a little bit like a "ghostmotorway"

And it is so very special feeling when I drive from Berlin and ending at the little village Lisowo where this motorway ending.

Everytime I use this motorway I thinking about if the people in the village Lisowo knows about they are living close to a historical motorway?
There's something like that in my country,but it isn't motorway

https://www.google.pl/maps/@42.73696...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.pl/maps/@42.74736...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.pl/maps/@43.28289...7i13312!8i6656
Metra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #1245
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

And so, what's that? if it isn't a motorway? seems an old highway

Been in: A, BiH, CH, CZ, D, E, ET, F, GR, H, HR, I, RSM, SLO, UK, V, VEC
Drove in : I, HR, SLO, VEC
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #1246
Stavros86
Roads Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 552

It seems that people like pictures from the past. So, there's one more from Greece.

National Road 1, in Agios Stefanos (meaning Saint Stephen), in 1967. The overpass (or flyover) carries the Athens - Thessaloniki railway line.

This is how the same spot is nowadays. https://goo.gl/maps/QFRudAGvc2q

verreme, SRC_100, Corvinus, Luki_SL, ea1969 and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by Stavros86; January 17th, 2016 at 10:14 PM.
Stavros86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #1247
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

It looks like a Cuban or North Korean "motorway".

2x2 roads with U-turns aren't common in Europe, while they are elsewhere (USA, Canada, Russia, Australia, Brazil,...). This road is probably a left-over from the Soviet times.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Autobahn-mann, Metra liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:24 PM   #1248
Metra

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It looks like a Cuban or North Korean "motorway".

2x2 roads with U-turns aren't common in Europe, while they are elsewhere (USA, Canada, Russia, Australia, Brazil,...). This road is probably a left-over from the Soviet times.
In Bulgaria it's an early expressway/motorway
First Bulgarian motorway opened in 1978.
So you may be right,it is looks like North Korean one. But it also looks like DW142 road from Poland.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old January 18th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #1249
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metra View Post
So you may be right,it is looks like North Korean one. But it also looks like DW142 road from Poland.
Asphalt pavement looks like from 1978 too.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 18th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #1250
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

You can check out many Spanish NO-DO (newsreel) videos in the website of RTVE. As these were mostly government propaganda, new roads and motorways were frequently featured . Here are some of them.

Inauguration of the motorway between Barcelona and Granollers (currently C-33):

http://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-1402/1486487/

Construction of the motorway Montgat-Mataró (current C-32):

http://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-1312/1486337/

Opening of a new bridge in Sevilla and the motorway between there and Dos Hermanas (currently downgraded to N-IV) by our then-Dear Leader :

http://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-1330/1487445/

Inauguration of the first duplicated stretch of current A-3, just outside Madrid:

http://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-1145/1475181/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metra View Post
It definitely looks like the first "motorways" (back then there were no laws stating how a motorway should look like) in my country . What's the story behind this road?

Autobahn-mann, Highway89 liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #1251
Metra

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
You can check out many Spanish NO-DO (newsreel) videos in the website of RTVE. As these were mostly government propaganda, new roads and motorways were frequently featured . Here are some of them.

Inauguration of the motorway between Barcelona and Granollers (currently C-33):

http://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-1402/1486487/

Construction of the motorway Montgat-Mataró (current C-32):

http://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-1312/1486337/

Opening of a new bridge in Sevilla and the motorway between there and Dos Hermanas (currently downgraded to N-IV) by our then-Dear Leader :

http://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-1330/1487445/

Inauguration of the first duplicated stretch of current A-3, just outside Madrid:

http://www.rtve.es/filmoteca/no-do/not-1145/1475181/

It definitely looks like the first "motorways" (back then there were no laws stating how a motorway should look like) in my country . What's the story behind this road?
This was maybe be built before A1 Trakya Motorway opened in 1978.
Old January 18th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #1252
Metra

Quote:
Asphalt pavement looks like from 1978 too.
Maybe the pre-Motorway be built same year as the one in Trakya.
Old January 26th, 2016, 04:53 AM   #1253
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

I found an interesting picture here -

http://daivavenckus.com/mysite/wp-co...tvtower034.jpg

It's taken in Vilnius close to the parliament. But the interesting thing is the road sign - I didn't know that road signs in the USSR were in the local language and Russian. It's obvious in hindsight, but still an interesting curiosity.

piotr71, gr_kanev liked this post

Last edited by Eulanthe; January 26th, 2016 at 05:01 AM.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 05:27 AM   #1254
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

They look the same as current Byelorussian signs

I'm not sure if it is so much "local language and Russian" as in "local languages" though especially at that time...
Old January 26th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #1255
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
I noticed that post vans in some remotely located areas in Sweden are RHD, as it is easier to drop a letter with no need to jump out of the vehicle.

This is still the case and not just some parts of the countryside but all rural area. It's convenient for the rural postman, especially as they often drive very far every day and don't have to step outside in the many days of bad weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG
Interesting. I am quite sure I have read that the right-hand-drive cars were banned for a long time before 1967. But I have no hard evidence nor any reference available now.
When the first Swedish cars were built they were LHD, I suspect because the engineers looked to Germany for inspiration. Back then (1900-1950) except in the cities most drivers drove in the middle of the road yielding to the left for incoming traffic, thus position of the steering wheel wasn't an issue and in city traffic there were little option of overhauling in most cases anyway. Later LHD was established as a standard for export reasons (all neighbouring countries had traffic to the right).
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #1256
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

Sweden and Ireland must have been the only countries that insisted in driving on the left whilst not being a part of the British Empire. Suriname has left-hand driving now. No idea why...
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #1257
italystf

Quote:
Sweden and Ireland must have been the only countries that insisted in driving on the left whilst not being a part of the British Empire. Suriname has left-hand driving now. No idea why...
You mean Iceland, that drove on the left until 1968. Ireland was part of the British empire until WWI. Iceland driving on the left was strange too, as it was a colony of Denmark, that has always driven on the right.
Also Japan drives on the left, albeit it has never be colonized by the Brits.

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Old January 28th, 2016, 12:28 AM   #1258
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Simple. In the Netherlands right hand driving had been introduced in the first decennium of teh 20th century. However, the law didn't apply to the colonies of the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia now) and Suriname. So left hand traffic was never changed there. More European countries had left hand driving before WW-II, like (parts of) Austria.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:22 AM   #1259
italystf

In Italy until around 1920 some areas drove on the right, other on the left.

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Old January 28th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #1260
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
You mean Iceland, that drove on the left until 1968. Ireland was part of the British empire until WWI. Iceland driving on the left was strange too, as it was a colony of Denmark, that has always driven on the right.
Also Japan drives on the left, albeit it has never be colonized by the Brits.
Iceland switched from right to left druing the British occupation and later switched back again.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote