daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2017, 12:21 AM   #1641
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6764

Man, I understand you wanted to show it in much detail, but you almost got my browser crashed

Could you next time insert miniatures here (I usually use 1024x768 size), being links to their full versions?

Nice photos, I even like them in this size, but it's a little bit too much for the hardware

You can resize a number of photos at once automatically using "batch conversion", "batch resize" function in programs such as IrfanView or XnView.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2017, 12:56 AM   #1642
italystf

Likes (Received): 2184

So NL only signposted E-numbers in the past, and not national numbers?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 02:20 AM   #1643
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

The smashed car in 1 pic, AMC Gremlin?!
Old March 1st, 2017, 01:52 PM   #1644
piotr71

Yes, indeed, it seems to be early incarnation of Gremlin.
Old March 1st, 2017, 04:43 PM   #1645
Kpc21

Poland also used to use only the E- numbers.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 12:20 PM   #1646
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
So NL only signposted E-numbers in the past, and not national numbers?
N-numbers (N81-N99) were also signed. This numbering system never was a success. One of the pictures shows such an old N-number:
(N96 white on brown blackground)

Autobahn-mann liked this post
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:50 AM   #1647
Kpc21

Łódź - extending the Zachodnia street to two carriageways and a tramway in the middle:

Photo from 1960s.

SRC_100, piotr71 liked this post
Old March 9th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #1648
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Finally. no more Yugoslavia!!

I would really like to see some pictures of the earliest European motorways, and New York's (big 3+3-road-network already by the 1930's!!)

darko06 liked this post
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #1649
aswnl

I'll repost some new uploaded material from NL on Wegenforum.nl here:

A very dangerous part of A16 southbound was near Ridderkerk interchange.

Kpc21, SRC_100, Corvinus, Luki_SL, verreme and 3 others liked this post
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #1650
aswnl

The new A9 around Badhoevedorp will soon be completely opened.
In these two pictures the original alignement through Badhoevedorp just opened in 1967. Still without sound barriers.
Pictures in the direction of Amstelveen (eastbound).

SRC_100, Luki_SL, Autobahn-mann, riiga, CborG liked this post
Old April 1st, 2017, 12:07 PM   #1651
italystf

German-style road signs in Hammerfest, Norway, during the German occupaation (1941)

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

piotr71 liked this post
Old April 16th, 2017, 08:47 PM   #1652
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Somosierra Mountain Pass (1440 m / 4,724 ft) in Spain.

Edit 2017-04-18: Some extra info has been added

1963:

Somosierra by rrodriguez16, en Flickr

1971:

Somosierra 1440 by rrodriguez16, en Flickr

2008: (Dutch cars are everywhere )
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Somosierra.JPG
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...Somosierra.JPG

2014: https://goo.gl/maps/erAhw4BYy7m

Somosierra comes from Somo de la Sierra, which means "top of the mountain range". The pass is located on what has traditionally been the main route between Madrid and Burgos, and from there to the ports of Santander and Bilbao and the border with France at Irún/Hendaye. Also, it's the division between the Duero and Tajo watersheds.

In 1808, during the Napoleonic wars, the battle of Somosierra took place around this pass:
Quote:
The Battle of Somosierra occurred November 30, 1808, in the Peninsular War, when a French army under Napoleon I forced a passage through the Sierra de Guadarrama shielding Madrid.

At the Somosierra mountain pass, 60 miles north of Madrid, a heavily outnumbered Spanish detachment of conscripts and artillery under Benito de San Juan aimed to block Napoleon's advance on the Spanish capital. Napoleon overwhelmed the Spanish positions in a combined arms attack, sending the Polish Chevau-légers of the Imperial Guard at the Spanish guns while French infantry advanced up the slopes. The victory removed the last obstacle barring the road to Madrid, which fell several days later.

In 1992, the A-1 was opened a bit further west. At 1444 m / 4,738 ft, it currently is the highest point in any Spanish motorway:

https://goo.gl/maps/NCDazJH4Xp82

(The highest point is actually reached inside the tunnel, not in the place in which the sign is).

SRC_100, Luki_SL, Stavros86, verreme, riiga and 3 others liked this post

Last edited by Highway89; April 18th, 2017 at 11:10 AM.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #1653
Kpc21

Tram line Łódź - Ozorków (Poland) in 1989 - you can see the current National Road 91 (partially with new asphalt, without horizontal signage yet) and town streets in Ozorków and Zgierz.

https://www.facebook.com/GdziesWLodz...4167881056176/

Notice that this was the main north-east route in Poland then (and it stopped to be only in 2012). But the traffic doesn't seem to be very high, maybe except the Zgierz town.

verreme, Highway89, piotr71 liked this post
Old April 30th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #1654
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Helsinki City Museum has opened its archive of high-resolution historical photos available to the public, under the CC BY 4.0 license. Currently, there are 45,000 photos and a big fraction of them are street views.

https://www.helsinkiphotos.fi

The annotations are in Finnish only.

riiga, X236K, Juhis liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 04:39 AM   #1655
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Atlanta I-75-85 south split, 1964

This photo fascinates me. It's I-75 on the south side of Atlanta, looking south, immediately after completion of the I-85 Airport Connector in 1964. Note the yield sign at the foot of the ramp from 85! The highway that became I-75 here was completed by 1952 to a rather primitive standard-- actually, all of Atlanta's pre-Interstate freeways were infamous for their dead-yield onramps, and about a mile from here, I-75 had an at-grade intersection that survived into the '80's.

I was born in 1958, I've lived in Atlanta all my life, and for as long as I've been cognizant of such things, the concurrency of I-75 and I-85 through downtown had always been six lanes until the massive widening during the '80's. However, there was circumstantial evidence that the part from I-85 south to University Avenue wasn't six laned until at least 1966. This is the only photo I've ever seen that confirms that.

Image from myajc.com, Atlanta's major newspaper

This photo was taken within the limits of the interchange between GA 166 and I-75-85. The collector-distributor roads that connected the Interstates south of their convergence to 166 hadn't been started yet, but on the southbound side you can see a stub for the CD to enter 85 south, and bridges carrying 85 over the as-yet-unbuilt CD road. 166 was known as the Lakewood Freeway because part of it overlaid Lakewood Avenue, which had a simple diamond interchange with the freeway. The Lakewood Freeway interchange used a type of guardrail that didn't come into use until 1966 or so, but there was also a bridge built in the same style as those on the 85 Airport Connector carrying Fair Drive over the freeway. I surmise that the Fair Drive bridge was built in order to provide a detour for while the Lakewood Avenue interchange was demolished and rebuilt, and it was probably well advanced in construction or finished when this photo was taken. That same 1966ish guardrail style appeared rather incongruously on a bridge that carried 75-85 over a railroad immediately south of University Avenue, strongly suggesting that the six laning of 75-85 from University to the 75-85 split was done when the Lakewood Freeway, not 85, was built. So that yield sign must've bedeviled Atlanta motorists for a significant amount of time.

Here's the Google Maps link for the area. You'd think that it'd have little relevance today since the entire highway was completely reconstructed in the '80's, but in fact the current layout is quite similar to that when the original 166 interchange was completed, though with a bigger footprint. The biggest difference is that now the CD's extend south to Cleveland Avenue.

Attus, Luki_SL liked this post
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #1656
italystf

Section of freeway in Newton, Massachussetts, 1935

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publication...er/p96su10.cfm

SRC_100, Tom 958 liked this post
Old May 24th, 2017, 03:38 AM   #1657
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

This in an old SOX-light from the old motorways in Sweden. They are from 1960s. All of them gone now. Not anyone still exist now at the motorways in Sweden.

This one is from Uppsala. And I keep it very well, because it is a part of Swedish Motorway history

SRC_100 liked this post
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #1658
Kpc21

Is it just a fluorescent lamp, same as those frequently used in buildings like schools and offices? It's interesting that they still commonly use them as street lighting in towns and cities in Germany.

In Poland, up to a few years ago, on the streets, there were either mercury or sodium lamps in use. Those first ones give greenish white light, those latter ones - amber light:

In the last years, almost all the mercury lamps in Polish cities got replaced with sodium ones. And LED lighting start being more and more popular.

This was a very popular type of mercury lamp in Poland up to a few years ago - especially in smaller, local streets:

This is a less popular type, for two bulbs:

Moravian liked this post
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:57 PM   #1660
Metra

Likes (Received): 22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJF3GR4Dp9c
Metra no está en línea   Reply With Quote