daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #281
kingcheetah
бородатый тиран

Likes (Received): 2432

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Yeah. All these buildings and roads look nice now, but perhaps in the future if there is no business case to maintain them to a high standard they will become run down and decayed. I'm sure all that communist modern architecture in Eastern Europe was actually pretty sharp when it was brand new, but now of course its left to rot as its purpose in a reformed economy changed regardless of its potential usefulness.

Still, infrastructure is never completely wasteful. People will always need roads to drive on. It's good they are building physical things instead of consumables for a small elite. Who knows.
I agree, good point on infrastructure.
And most of the those building on pictures posted by moderntm have office and commercial space to lease on ground floors, and all the monies they receive from lease they use for maintenance, also, many residents form so called 'housing committees' and collect funds for maintenance and some extra and security services.

мой альбом
kingcheetah no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #282
kingcheetah
бородатый тиран

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Where are the 30000+ people who lived there to go?
My grandmother house was destroyed and she, and my uncle with his family, who lived with granny, got 2 apartments in the old part of the city. Although I missed that house, built by my grandfather very much, and the garden, I must admit, that apartment was much better choice forgranny. At least during her last years she used the normal toilet, instead of sinkpit.

Regarding the 30 000, I think that you are probably referring to the demolition of a part of so called 'dacha' settlement in the north?
It was a summer-cottage settlement during soviet times, but starting from 2000-s many migrant workers have come to Ashgabat attracted by blooming construction industry. Many Ashgabatis started to built illegal housings in that areas to lease it to migrants, and it has become a ghetto with high level of criminal activity. Most of it were built without licences and approvals, that why it's being raized.
Although I personally do not support this approach but this is a reality
For example me, my family and my colleagues started to support a shelter for pets, cats and dogs, who were left homeless after demolition of 'dachas'

мой альбом

sponge_bob liked this post
Old December 6th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #283
kingcheetah
бородатый тиран

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippety Klopp View Post
Very interesting photos, and thanks for posting them. I think not many people outside of Turkmenistan know that much about it - and especially not how it looks. That said - and this is purely my opinion - I do find the photos quite depressing. There are simply no people (nor private vehicles) in the photos, and I cannot believe these streets will suddenly fill and be brimming with life. It all looks as though some child has been playing on a city-building computer game and has pressed 'copy/paste' a few times too many. The architecture is all-too much on the eye - and comes across as rather vulgar and of too specific a taste. I wonder how much public consultation there was in all this? It all reeks of someone trying too hard to impress the outside world that their country (read: personal ego project) is the best there is. Subtlety in splendour in all this architecture would impress more people, I feel, rather than showing-off.
No one likes a show-off.
Still, I am sure that, indeed, Turkmenistan is a 'paradise on Earth'...
I agree, the new part of the city might be depressing for some. Although, I personally prefer less people more space. But note, that Moderntm posts here mostly new part of the city, but majority of people still live in the old part. Some time ago I posted pictures of the old part, although, the city changes too fast, and some of my pictures are not relevant anymore.

Most of the pictures below were taken by me more than 2 years ago:

мой альбом
Old December 6th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #284
kingcheetah
бородатый тиран

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
1. Are Turkmen citizens allowed to leave and re-enter the country whenever they like?
2. Is there data available about the no. of cars registered to individuals in Turkmenistan, or about the share of the population owning a car?
3. Do cars cost about the same as in Western Europe, or are they significantly more expensive (import taxes, etc)?
4. What is the percentage of resident foreigners in Turkmenistan?
This table is from Euromonitor report on Turkmenistan (2012)

мой альбом

Corvinus liked this post
Old December 6th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #285
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2199

How much of the 'old' Ashegebat survived the massive earthquake 70 years ago or is it all less than 70 years old???
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #286
kingcheetah
бородатый тиран

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
It looks like the whole city is just an outdoor museum with a very few visitors unless everybody is under housing arrest.

The greatest percentage of "foreigners" is a majority Russian population in a Caspian Sea port city now called "Turkmenbashy" ... Guess they miss Soviets in that country!
Overwhelming majority of Russians, Tatars and other Russian Federation minorities have Dual Russian citizenship, and they can leave to Russia whenever they want. Many have left, but many stayed. For many, especially the older generation, TM is more comfortable.

I also have a nostalgy for Soviet times, although I was a very small kid at that time. Yes, we lived as a one big family in our neighbourhood, but in terms of quality of living the last years of USSR was disastrous - almost no food, kilometre-long lines for bread, everyday power shortages, water only at nights, no clothes or shoes.
At that time Turkmenistan exported more than 100 billion cubic meters of gas to Eastern Europe for symbolic price, but at the same time outside the big cities people used wood to prepare food and keep temperature warm in their houses.
2 years ago I passed thru Kaplankyr nature reserve, and I was amazed how many trees and bushes it has now. When I asked locals what happened, how come that instead of pure desert now I see trees and bushes, and they said than now they have gas in their houses, and they do not have to burn woods anymore.

мой альбом

Last edited by kingcheetah; December 6th, 2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old December 6th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #287
kingcheetah
бородатый тиран

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
How much of the 'old' Ashegebat survived the massive earthquake 70 years ago or is it all less than 70 years old???
Only 3 buildings survived the earthquake, the first Bahai temple, the only restaurant in the city, and the Russian-Turkmen bank (US Embassy now).

Bahai temple was harmed beyond repair and was raized in the 1960s (I'm not sure why, maybe Soiets used this chance to eradicate this religious group).

мой альбом

sponge_bob liked this post
Old December 6th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #288
moderntm

Likes (Received): 973

Archabil Avenue by 2D Group

8166UY liked this post
moderntm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #289
moderntm

Magtymguly Avenue by 2D Group

8166UY liked this post
Old December 6th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #290
moderntm

Galkynysh street by 2D Group

Old December 6th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #291
moderntm

A. Niyazov Avenue by 2D Group

Old December 6th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #292
moderntm

10 żyl AbadanÁylyk street (former Moscow street) by 2D Group

Berkar street by 2D

Ashgabat street by 2D

Old December 6th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #293
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Old December 7th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #294
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2199

This project. . Has anything happened with it and are there photos ????

http://www.inros-lackner.com/en/proj...y_turkmenistan

Quote:
Client: Ministry of Motor Transport of Turkmenistan
Planning: 2015
Construction: 2015 - 2018
Contract price: 1.78 billion euro
Description.

Quote:
This project in Turkmenistan to construct a motorway between the economic centres of Turkmenbashi and Ashgabat is a key part of the country’s long-term transportation plan. Previously, reliable and quick connections between the country’s two biggest cities were only possible by air. The “Express Highway” also provides a necessary connection to the new international port in Turkmenbashi. Another project to be professionally managed by Inros Lackner, in the role of General Planner, right up to its completion.

The six-lane highway, with a total length of 560 km, connects Turkmenbashi and Ashgabat via the cities of Balkanabat and Serdar. Among others features, the project includes the construction of four motorway service stations, sixteen rest areas, five police stations, a police headquarters, five motorway maintenance facilities and nine toll stations, as well as the required bridges and underpasses.
While the price might seem low the land is cheap( desert) and flat so it could be delivered at $3m a km or so.

NFZANMNIM liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 02:47 AM   #295
moderntm

- edit: dmca
Old December 9th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #296
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcheetah View Post
I agree, the new part of the city might be depressing for some. Although, I personally prefer less people more space. But note, that Moderntm posts here mostly new part of the city, but majority of people still live in the old part. Some time ago I posted pictures of the old part, although, the city changes too fast, and some of my pictures are not relevant anymore.

Most of the pictures below were taken by me more than 2 years ago:

I personally find these locations more desirable for living than the vast sparse magestic buildings

SRC_100, RV liked this post
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #297
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Me too... Too much magnificiency is uglier than extreme poverty... At least for common people, not ministers... But... Nice asphalt... Former USSR is notorious for its f****** quality road surface(as though as not a cent was spent on road repair after WWII , except for LT LV EST BY and... TM???
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #298
RV

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcheetah View Post
Overwhelming majority of Russians, Tatars and other Russian Federation minorities have Dual Russian citizenship, and they can leave to Russia whenever they want. Many have left, but many stayed. For many, especially the older generation, TM is more comfortable.

I also have a nostalgy for Soviet times, although I was a very small kid at that time. Yes, we lived as a one big family in our neighbourhood, but in terms of quality of living the last years of USSR was disastrous - almost no food, kilometre-long lines for bread, everyday power shortages, water only at nights, no clothes or shoes.
At that time Turkmenistan exported more than 100 billion cubic meters of gas to Eastern Europe for symbolic price, but at the same time outside the big cities people used wood to prepare food and keep temperature warm in their houses.
2 years ago I passed thru Kaplankyr nature reserve, and I was amazed how many trees and bushes it has now. When I asked locals what happened, how come that instead of pure desert now I see trees and bushes, and they said than now they have gas in their houses, and they do not have to burn woods anymore.
Still, I think that renaming the most Russian city of TM "Turkmenbashy" is an insult. The whole thing with giant robot-Ruhnamas are an insult, I think even N-Korea doesn't reach that far. They definitely should send some documentary-group to present this remote but seemingly proud country to all Earth. Regardless this, all Turkmenbashy-stuff should be removed before people, who have not lived like this the last 70 years like in N-K (the USSR did never reach such dictatorship so far after 1953), start protesting against Turkmenbashy II's town-for-now-one projects including these empty streets as they neglect or destroy older houses and infrastructure where most of the people lives/most use.

Also, renaming streets (I understand it in the case of commie things but no other) from Moscow Street to some Turkmenbashy's Mother's or Greatness of the Wealth brought by the Power of Turkmenbashy or so is not understandable. Is Turkmenbashy II planning something like Cambodia's "Year Zero"? Hopefully not...

Last edited by RV; December 11th, 2015 at 07:12 PM.
RV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 04:25 AM   #299
moderntm

New Turkmenabad - Farab Bridge

Last edited by moderntm; December 18th, 2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old December 18th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #300
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
Is Turkmenbashy II planning something like Cambodia's "Year Zero"? Hopefully not...
He already changed the name of the months with the names of his family members.
ďThe transponderís personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the carís billĒ - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
Туркменбаши