daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #21
GaryinSydney

Likes (Received): 315

Brilliant pics again Jai! My first ever shots of the Ward Warehouse area -am planning to visit there his Sept on my second visit to HI, as only did Ala Moana last trip.
GaryinSydney no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #22
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
About 370,000 in the city alone (plus God knows how many thousands of tourists at any one moment), but close to 1 million people in the metro area that stretches along Oahu's southern to windward coasts from the suburbs of 'Ewa to Kane'ohe
My economic professor at the University of Hawaii says on average, there's 30,000-200,000 tourist in Honolulu at any given moment.
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #23
Erik91
Multa per aequora vectus

Likes (Received): 2

This city looks like a paradise on water...

Quod iniuria talis, cogit amantem amare magis, sed bene velle minus. (Catullo)
Erik91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #24
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Hi guys, here's a long-promised update:

This first pano is long, but so is Honolulu's skyline From Waikiki at left (see pano on the first page for a view of this at night) to Ala Moana and Maikiki in the center, and Downtown on the right:

Fore turret of USS Arizona:

Downtown skyline

Punchbowl Crater and National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific

USS Arizona memorial

USS Bowfin

Manoa Valley

Not Honolulu, but nearby where I live

Cheers,
Jai
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #25
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 102

Fantastic shots again Jai!

Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #26
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursyn View Post
WOW, I haven't known that Honolulu has such a tall buildings.
Today, all cities has tall buildings, especially city which belong to U.S.

By the way, nice pics Thanks!
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #27
Max Power
Richmond Hillite

Likes (Received): 0

Hey Jai, tremendous pics of my dream destination. Now, I have a hunch that you are of Indian descent. If you are, how many Indians live in Honolulu? I've read numbers of around 1,500. I'm sure a resident could provide better numbers though. Thanks.

I also have another question. I looked at Google Earth and was trying to locate Pearl Harbor relative to Honolulu International Airport. Now, I've been to the airport but when I was a lot younger. Still, is Pearl Harbor across the bay from HIL as a photo on Google Earth suggests or are they on opposite ends of the same piece of land?

Last edited by Max Power; March 16th, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
Max Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #28
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32152

Beautiful pics Jai! I specially like the oano from punchbowl and the one taken form Aiea. This last one is a very interesting angle....never saw it before.

What kind of camera do you have? I have and EOS rebel. Its a few years old but works out good for me. I have been looking into getting a new lens.

Anyhow, check out my pics at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=593647

Aloha!
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #29
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
I also have another question. I looked at Google Earth and was trying to locate Pearl Harbor relative to Honolulu International Airport. Now, I've been to the airport but when I was a lot younger. Still, is Pearl Harbor across the bay from HIL as a photo on Google Earth suggests or are they on opposite ends of the same piece of land?
The harbor facilities themselves are almost all around all lochs of the harbor....although most of them are concentrated on the east loch. The HNL airport is on the coastline, just east of the harbor inlet. One of two main runways are built on a man-made reef island that protudes out from the coastiline. Due to the quality of the runway and the almost year-round good weather, HNL is designated as the first alternate emergency landing spot for NASA's space shuttles.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #30
legumbre
herculino

Likes (Received): 1

amazing pictures of an incredible place! the light is different.
Ruego a Su Majestad desista pugnar por esta costa. Hemos perdido una veintena de naves en esta embocadura. Espero que el alma de los caídos sea recompensada por esta mar. Yo mismo he conocido por fin el desasosiego. Esta dársena es indomable mientras esa hechicera conjure a sus habitantes. Combatían sin temor a mis galeones, bajo amenaza de que si cedían la tierra, sus almas y las de sus hijos nunca encontrarían la paz en otra comarca. Maldición a la que llaman “morriña”.
*Francis Drake
legumbre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #31
Jai

Thanks guys

Quote:
Hey Jai, tremendous pics of my dream destination. Now, I have a hunch that you are of Indian descent. If you are, how many Indians live in Honolulu? I've read numbers of around 1,500. I'm sure a resident could provide better numbers though.
Yes I am. An Indian-American of both West-Indian-origin-East-Indian and East-Indian origin (parents came from Trinidad and India )

Wow, I'd be surprised if there were that many. From my experience here and where I live, I hardly ever see any, I wouldn't put it at more than a hundred families max. I've also run into students at the universities here as well as tourists. My rule of thumb is, you can usually tell how many Indians there are in a place by how quickly a temple goes up.

There are three temples in Hawai'i, the biggest is the Himalayan Academy monastery on the island of Kaua'i, but on O'ahu, there's no traditional Hindu temple -- just an ISKCON temple in Honolulu and in the town Wahiawa, in the north-central part of the island, there's an extraordinary temple built around what Hawai'ians revere as Healing Stones, and Hindus as Shivalingams. After some initial mutual confusion, both sides have since learned about and subsequently encouraged each other's rites. And in an awesome example of both religious harmony and the strikingly similar concepts Hawai'ian 'Aloha' and Hindu 'Namaste' spirit, the site is now jointly worshiped by both groups in their own ways. Even in the Kaua'i temple, Hindu monks and Hawai'ian priests hold 'fusion' religous ceremonies, celebrating a common inter-faith outlook.

I'll try to take some pictures of the site this weekend

Quote:
JuanPaulo, explained it pretty well -- the HNL airport and Hickam Air Force Base can be viewed as seperating Pearl Harbor from Honolulu. I labeled it all on the downtown skyline picture I took:

^ The runway and Hickam AFB is in the center, background of the picture. The water you can kind of see behind both of those is the entrance to Pearl Harbor, which opens up to the right of the field of view. You can see part of Naval Station Pearl Harbor, but the Ford Island andUSS Arizona memorial are too far to the right of the image to be seen.

To help visualize what I mean, the direction that the picture was taken and field of view is shown on this map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Beautiful pics Jai! I specially like the oano from punchbowl and the one taken form Aiea. This last one is a very interesting angle....never saw it before.

What kind of camera do you have? I have and EOS rebel. Its a few years old but works out good for me. I have been looking into getting a new lens.
JuanPaulo, those are awesome pics man! Really unique angles on all of them. I just bought a Pentax K10D. I wonder how many Hawai'i members we have on here? There seem to be quite a few!

Cheers
Jai
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #32
Max Power
Richmond Hillite

Top job, Jai, mate. Really informative and look forward to your next batch! Lol...if you ever miss Indians, head on over to Toronto where we got a whole 200,000+ of them. Man, I would love to move to Honolulu after I graduate but the housing prices are obscene, aren't they? According to findyourspot.com, average price is $786,000, sigh.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #33
Bentown
Lost in Paradise

Likes (Received): 1849

Just fall in love with Hawaii......Coooooool place in Pacific ocean.
Bentown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #34
GoDubai!
Keep on building!

Likes (Received): 242

Great photos, Jai. Would I be right in thinking that you are enhancing the contrast a bit, to bring out the more vivid colors? I have to say, however, that this is accurate to the reality of what one experiences in Hawaii. The most vivid colors and beautiful contrasts anywhere on earth.
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #35
Jai

Thanks guys

I've been insanely busy lately and haven't had time to post photos that have been just sitting in my memory card for the last couple weeks. Will try to do so this week!

Quote:
Top job, Jai, mate. Really informative and look forward to your next batch! Lol...if you ever miss Indians, head on over to Toronto where we got a whole 200,000+ of them. Man, I would love to move to Honolulu after I graduate but the housing prices are obscene, aren't they? According to findyourspot.com, average price is $786,000, sigh.
Toronto's a fun city. I'm originally from Detroit, so I used to go to Ontario a lot House prices can get pretty high here, but it depends where you go. In downtown and along the windward coasts and north shore, mainland millionaires are driving locals away through development, and there's a lot of justified resentment about that.

Re: prices, although not as bad as the mainland, the housing slump has hit here too, so it is a buyers market. Just don't expect to have your property go up in value for several years. According to my research (was planning to invest in a condo) the only places on the island with any chance of appreciation of value is in Mililani (upper middle class) and Ko'olina (ultra-rich tourists) and I'm neither, so am happily renting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDubai! View Post
Great photos, Jai. Would I be right in thinking that you are enhancing the contrast a bit, to bring out the more vivid colors? I have to say, however, that this is accurate to the reality of what one experiences in Hawaii. The most vivid colors and beautiful contrasts anywhere on earth.
For about 1/3 of the pics I used HDR techniques. The rest of the contrasts, etc. were done with exposure and camera setting. I didn't use a photo editing program to enhance the contrast per se, only to create panos, crop photos, and try to optimize the file size without compromising quality.

Cheers,
Jai
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #36
Bristol Mike
Rain + Cold = England

Likes (Received): 2373

Great shots there, Honolulu looks beautiful, very up to date and modern. I love how green it is and the picture at cloud level on the first page is very interesting indeed!
Bristol Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #37
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

What is there to do for the locals there?

Go to the beach everyday? Life seems so nice there lol
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #38
bunt_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
Re: prices, although not as bad as the mainland, the housing slump has hit here too, so it is a buyers market. Just don't expect to have your property go up in value for several years. According to my research (was planning to invest in a condo) the only places on the island with any chance of appreciation of value is in Mililani (upper middle class) and Ko'olina (ultra-rich tourists) and I'm neither, so am happily renting.
Jai - how does this leasehold thing work? I am looking at condos there in Honolulu (moving in August from Denver), and everything seems to be leasehole first, ask if you want a fee simple purchase. What is a standard lease term? Seems very strange to me... Also, is everything a 600 sf studio? I can't wait to live in a hotel room!

If you have job leads, let me know! Legal work, or engineering (municipal/civil) work too... city planning if I have to, but probably doesn't pay well enough to eat!
bunt_q no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #39
Enzio

Likes (Received): 1

Magnificent pictures, Honolulu looks like a beautiful city!
Enzio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #40
Jai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewville View Post
What is there to do for the locals there?

Go to the beach everyday? Life seems so nice there lol
There's tons of stuff to do here! The beach, of course, is probably the best though

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Jai - how does this leasehold thing work? I am looking at condos there in Honolulu (moving in August from Denver), and everything seems to be leasehole first, ask if you want a fee simple purchase. What is a standard lease term? Seems very strange to me... Also, is everything a 600 sf studio? I can't wait to live in a hotel room!
Well, I'm not that much of a high roller to get involved in leasehold yet But from what I understand, in a fee simple, you own both the land and the development on the land, whereas in a leasehold you lease the land for a certain term and own the property. At the end of the leasehold, depending on the contract, the development on the land can revert back to the owner of the land, but you're usually looking at decades before that happens, with the idea that at the end of the leasehold, if the original building still exists, its going to come down anyway. Leaseholds can be bought/sold/sublet/etc (I'm probably mixing terms here) at will. It's pretty much just like ownership in allowing you to do what you want except you don't technically own the land.

If you're looking at a short term or medium term investment, I doubt whether a property is a leasehold or ownership will factor. If you're investing in a property that you want to give your kids when they grow up, it may be an issue.

Me, I don't live/want to live downtown (happy up here in the country!) so I mainly just look at rentals. Terms are usually 1 year, though can be 6 months. There's a lot of 2+ bedroom places downtown, but you gotta have the scrilla. A lot of rooms are literally just hotel rooms converted to rentals (complete with dirty mattresses and free cable tv), but there are some decent places too. Hono is a smallish big city, so if you don't mind not living literally right on the strip in Waikiki, there's a lot of good deals out there, especially in this economy.

Unless you want to hump a pack and do it fer Uncle Sam, (or work retail, which a lot of my local friends seem to do) I really don't have a whole lot of in the way of other job leads here

Anyway, here's a photo update!

Beach!

Canal!

Some pics from the First Hawaiian International Auto Show, not the biggest event, but pretty cool nonetheless. Hopefully this will only get bigger and more popular in the coming years:

The second floor of the show had a bunch of local auto clubs represented:

And now to switch gears a bit, here is the USS Peleliu coming into Pearl Harbor, with Sailors and Marines manning the rails and rendering side honors to the USS Arizona:

The "Mighty Mo" USS Missouri:

Looking towards the bow of the ship, with the Aiea skyline in the background

Looking down the massive 16" gun turrets. Note the famous tower of former Luke Field on Ford Island, now part of the Pacific Aviation Museum:

A majestic sight -- USS Peleliu and the hospital ship USNS Mercy, which stopped here on its way to Asia to render medical to several developing countries

A hard change of gears again, Aloha stadium, the largest in the Rainbow State during a sunset. The angle of the sun gives the impression of super-high contrast:

The Kukaniloko Birthstones State Monument, one of the first recognized historic sites in Hawaii. It was the birthplace of Ali'i (Chiefs) and was also used as a star chart:

That's all for now!

Cheers,
Jai

Tags
honolulu