daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:44 PM   #41
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

Likes (Received): 0

What should be taken under such an umbrella are those areas within the wider urban area and those highly dependent upon it socially, culturally, economically, etc.

What worries me however is the creation of extra layers of "democracy" read "bureaucracy". There should be no need for much more than there already is. Local decision making is one thing, but adding extra layers is not, total waste of money. amalgamate the councils in the urban area and be done with it, let the rest go back to their respective county governments.

Here in Spain, what do we have? Town Hall, Provincial Hall, Autonomous Community Assembly, Madrid, Brussels. It's effing ridiculous.

Sponsored Links

Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:50 PM   #42
Metrolink

Hence it'll just be like AGMA works at the moment, with more powers, but not creating an extra tier of anything.
Metrolink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:50 AM   #43
Mancunian Monkey
In the Re-education Gulag

Why do people in this country go on about the cost of democracy? We're quite prepared to spend billions on a war in Iraq or squander hundreds of millions on the likes of the Millennium Dome, but people aren't prepared to spend relatively a little more to create fairer democracy and better governance. That's effing ridiculous.
Mancunian Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:42 AM   #44
nick hall

Likes (Received): 1

I think it's because our politicians go to war in Iraq and build the Dome that we don't want to spend any more for better governance. The only way to get better governance is to have less of it.
nick hall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 03:28 AM   #45
Mancunian Monkey
In the Re-education Gulag

So we should have no government at all then?
Mancunian Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:26 PM   #46
STUBBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by highriser View Post
I dont think Leek or Macc should be Manchester , they are in Cheshire and Staffs . but what i do think should be included as Manchester are the bouroughs of Trafford Salford and Tameside , plus the areas taken by Rochdale Bury Oldham ,,
Not Stockport then?
STUBBY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM   #47
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUBBY View Post
Metro counties? What are they then?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_counties
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:49 PM   #48
highriser

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUBBY View Post
Not Stockport then?
Stockport is Stockport matey ,,, you know the areas what i mean /
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #49
leebuk2005

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
I dont think Leek or Macc should be Manchester , they are in Cheshire and Staffs . but what i do think should be included as Manchester are the bouroughs of Trafford Salford and Tameside , plus the areas taken by Rochdale Bury Oldham ,,
Do you meen like Failsworth has a M35 postcode but comes under Oldham MBC. An article in the Oldham Advertiser said most people would rather see a bigger failsworth in a smaller Oldham than a Smaller failsworth in a bigger Manchester. If you get what i mean
leebuk2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #50
Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebuk2005 View Post
Do you meen like Failsworth has a M35 postcode but comes under Oldham MBC. An article in the Oldham Advertiser said most people would rather see a bigger failsworth in a smaller Oldham than a Smaller failsworth in a bigger Manchester. If you get what i mean
That's the Oldham Advertiser for you. The Tameside Advertiser spews out the same kind of crap about Denton and Droylsden too, but if you speak to people from there you realise it couldn't be further from the truth. I don't know a single person from any of those places who wouldn't consider themselves Mancunian. Think about it though, if Failsworth was no longer part of Oldham do you think maybe the Oldham Advertiser's circulation might fall and they might lose advertising income?
Irwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #51
leebuk2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwell View Post
That's the Oldham Advertiser for you. The Tameside Advertiser spews out the same kind of crap about Denton and Droylsden too, but if you speak to people from there you realise it couldn't be further from the truth. I don't know a single person from any of those places who wouldn't consider themselves Mancunian. Think about it though, if Failsworth was no longer part of Oldham do you think maybe the Oldham Advertiser's circulation might fall and they might lose advertising income?
I cant see why the newspaper would be botherd its Free anyway. Why Failsworth trys to distance itself from Oldham is because its a bit off a shit hole. Address and postcode means nothing realy Ashton and Rochdale have OL postcodes but there nothing to do with Oldham. Failsworth is a town of its own anyway maybe if they changed postcode and post town years ago it would be a different situation. Plus isnt Greater Manchester not a postal county and its still Lancashire, Cheshire or Yorkshire
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #52
Irwell

Quote:
I cant see why the newspaper would be botherd its Free anyway.
Because they make their money from advertising. If their circulation falls, so does the amount people pay for that advertising.

Quote:
Why Failsworth trys to distance itself from Oldham is because its a bit off a shit hole.
And if the majority there say they're Mancs I think it's pretty safe to class them as that.

Quote:
Address and postcode means nothing realy Ashton and Rochdale have OL postcodes but there nothing to do with Oldham.
That's because none of the three are big enough to have one in their own right. Manchester, however, is. Note that the M99 postcode is Manchester city centre.

Quote:
Failsworth is a town of its own anyway maybe if they changed postcode and post town years ago it would be a different situation.
Tesco doesn't make a place a town you know.

Quote:
Plus isnt Greater Manchester not a postal county and its still Lancashire, Cheshire or Yorkshire
The Royal Mail Postcode Address File includes the county of Greater Manchester. I don't quite understand the point of your question though.
Old November 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #53
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Why do people use post codes, towns and counties when discussing administrative boundaries?! One is a system of delivering mail by a postal company and the other is the somewhat more important, official system of governance!
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #54
STUBBY

Quote:
Stockport is Stockport matey ,,, you know the areas what i mean /
And I forgot Wigan!!!
STUBBY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #55
leebuk2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwell View Post
Because they make their money from advertising. If their circulation falls, so does the amount people pay for that advertising.

And if the majority there say they're Mancs I think it's pretty safe to class them as that.

That's because none of the three are big enough to have one in their own right. Manchester, however, is. Note that the M99 postcode is Manchester city centre.

Tesco doesn't make a place a town you know.

The Royal Mail Postcode Address File includes the county of Greater Manchester. I don't quite understand the point of your question though.
Failsworth has a TOWN HALL!!!!
Sorry Irwell but do you live in Failsworth. I dont i live about a mile away in Hollinwood. I went to Failsworth School and all my friends are from Failsworth
and I go drinknig around the pole every weekend. FAILSWORTH IS IN OLDHAM MBC and has been for years and there BETTER OFF and most people think that. And I dont get your answers because half of them are WRONG
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #56
Irwell

Quote:
Failsworth has a TOWN HALL!!!!
So does Denton, but if you consider a place whose main shopping area is Crown Point retail park a town then there's not much hope.

Quote:
Sorry Irwell but do you live in Failsworth. I dont i live about a mile away in Hollinwood. I went to Failsworth School and all my friends are from Failsworth and I go drinknig around the pole every weekend. FAILSWORTH IS IN OLDHAM MBC and has been for years and there BETTER OFF and most people think that. And I dont get your answers because half of them are WRONG
Yes, it's in Oldham MBC, just like Denton is for some reason in Tameside MBC. Failsworth is not a part of Oldham. Please, though, show me which of my answers were wrong.
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #57
leebuk2005

Greater Manchester isnt a postal county it spreads over Lancashire, Chesher and Yorkshire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_...United_Kingdom

Failsworth was a town which became part of Oldham MBC not just because they've only just opened a tesco.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failsworth
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #58
leebuk2005

I guess Irwell you live in one of the areas that you think should belong to Manchester. Do you ever see Manchester Council demanding Failsworth from Oldham and Denton from Tameside because ive not, maybe Manchester Council dont care.
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #59
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Quote:

Greater Manchester isnt a postal county it spreads over Lancashire, Chesher and Yorkshire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_...United_Kingdom
I know. But what has that got to do with local government?
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #60
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Quote:
I guess Irwell you live in one of the areas that you think should belong to Manchester. Do you ever see Manchester Council demanding Failsworth from Oldham and Denton from Tameside because ive not, maybe Manchester Council dont care.
Local authorities in England generally do not make it their business to request that bits be added to them.