daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #181
andrelot
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

It would allow. I gave that example to counterargument Momo1425's suggestion that people should commute less than today and live closer to worlplaces. Today it is fairly feasible this kind of arrangement.
andrelot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #182
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62953

I don't say they should, I say that people should be encouraged.

If all people only start to make excuses before they actually think about where they live and how they have to commute we will never solve the congestion problems. The government can spend billions on new (rail)roads, but that won't help if people aren't willing to change their own behaviour.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #183
andrelot
BANNED

Do you know when will be possible to use the NS OV-Chipkaart as a mean of payment in NS trains?
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #184
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

That's already possible since Oktober 2009, but only with an anonymous card. From this month people with a NS Voordeelurenkaart can also use their personal OV-Chipkaart with 40% discount after 9:00.

Right now it's still only possible to use it "op slado" as a pre paid card, as regular check in - check out system that calculates the price at the end. But later it will also be possible to buy a train ticket onto your card at the ticket machine, just like the old system but then without the paper ticket.
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #185
andrelot
BANNED

Hum, an what about first class fares? As I see impractical to create first-class check-in gates, are they going to put something like a second check-in machine inside the cars so people can pay appropriate fares when travelling first class?
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #186
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

You have to get a first class OV Chipkaart to travel first class, you have to chose the class when you activate your card on the special website (at least for the Voordeelurenkaart users). But that means you can only travel 1st or 2nd class with a card, if you want to use the other class you have to buy a paper ticket right now or in the future buy the ticket onto your chip card.
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #187
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Say, you bought a ticket from Amsterdam to Utrecht and you've loaded in on your OV-chipkaart. You check in at Amsterdam and check out at Utrecht. Does "the system" than automatically know you wanted to use that ticket and so removes it?

I also have a question about international travel. I sometimes to go Gronau (Germany) from Enschede (NL). How does this work with the Studenten OV-chipkaart? I have a paper ticket from the border to Gronau at the moment, and I can travel in NL for free with my Studenten OV-kaart. With the OV-chipkaart, I have to check in on the German platform at Enschede station. When I haven't checked out within a certain period of time, I'm automatically checked out at the border. How does this work on the way back? It's not possible to be checked in automatically, so how does this work?
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #188
andrelot
BANNED

OV-Chipkaart will not wokr in international trains. In your case (OV-Studentenkaart), I guess you'll have to hop off at the first Dutch station, check-in, and continue to travel.
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #189
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

That seems quite vague to me. I'm automatically checked out on my way to Germany, I'm quite sure about that. I just wonder how it works on the way back.
Old December 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #190
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

In your case isn't really a problem, you don't have to pay 10 or 20 Euro when you forget to check out. And if you are not checked in on your way back it should also not be a big deal, the DB or PEG conductors won't have the equipment to read an OV-chipkaart anyway.
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #191
rotterdam sky-high
De enige echte...

Likes (Received): 9

Rotterdamse railway in the port, by of it much are, this is the Betuwe-lijn:

Rotterdamse fotothread wereldwijd flink bekeken!
rotterdam sky-high no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #192
Crownsteler

Likes (Received): 474

Well, good news, the (demissionary) Dutch cabinet has announced a €4.5 billion rail project. The project, called 'Program for High-frequency Rail transport (PHS)', will allow for 'timetableless travel' in and between the Randstad and a few large cities outside of it.
In short this means the government will invest in selected train routes (to be precise: Schiphol Airport-Utrecht-Arnhem/Nijmegen, Alkmaar-Amsterdam-Utrecht-Eindhoven, Den Haag-Rotterdam-Eindhoven) to allow 12 trains per hour in each direction (6 intercity trains and 6 local trains) on 10 minute intervals (ie. 10 minutes between 2 intercities or 2 local trains, or 5 minutes between an intercity and local). The similar OV-SAAL project (between Schiphol Airport-Amsterdam-Almere-Lelystad) is also part of this project.
Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #193
Astenaar

Likes (Received): 318

Good news!

6 intercity's per hour per direction on my frequent used routes, and at least 4 local trains per hour. Never wait any longer than a few minutes!
Astenaar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #194
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Wouldn't it be better to invest such money in building (or at least start building) a high-speed link on the axis Schiphol-Utrecht-Eindhoven and Utrecht-Arnhem? It takes far too long to reach Amsterdam from the southern cities of Maastricht and Heerlen, due to lack of a true high-speed rail alternative.
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #195
DarkLoki

Likes (Received): 41

I actually think it is good that they did not invest that money in a prestige project like another HSL. Many more people benefit from improving the regular train service. Besides the distances for Utrecht-Arnhem at 60km and 80 km for Utrecht-Eindhoven are way to short for HSR. It would be better to concentrate on improving the quality of the existing tracks, there are a lot of plans to slowly increase the speeds on the dutch networks. Amsterdam-Utrecht is now suitable for speeds of 200km/u and this will later extent to arnhem, the only thing holding this back is the outdated security systems.
DarkLoki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #196
Suburbanist
on the road

In that case NS should, at least, put a third level of service in place (besides Stoptrein and Intercity), one that would connect more distant cities with key hubs non-stop. For instance, a Maastricht-Utrecht-Amsterdam service without any other stop, or Groningen-Zwolle-Schiphol.
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #197
DarkLoki

Likes (Received): 41

How many people would use such a service, I do not think it would be viable. Just look at the fyra, a direct link between Amsterdam and Rotterdam which is looking tot become a big failure. But I agree that that some intercity trains stop at to many cities. I think they should try to keep the intercity a real intercity.
DarkLoki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #198
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoki View Post
How many people would use such a service, I do not think it would be viable. Just look at the fyra, a direct link between Amsterdam and Rotterdam which is looking tot become a big failure. But I agree that that some intercity trains stop at to many cities. I think they should try to keep the intercity a real intercity.
Fyra doesn't have YET that much ridership because:

1. There is only a short, not that fast (160 km/h) and overpriced services on regular carriages from Rotterdam to Amsterdam. Once Fyra starts running from Breda to Amsterdam with full speed, ridership will increase.

2. The supplement is too pricey.

3. There is just 18 services/day.

4. Many people don't know the service yet.
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #199
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
In that case NS should, at least, put a third level of service in place (besides Stoptrein and Intercity), one that would connect more distant cities with key hubs non-stop. For instance, a Maastricht-Utrecht-Amsterdam service without any other stop, or Groningen-Zwolle-Schiphol.
Such a service would not be that much faster than the current IC. It would have a lot less customers though. There really isn't that much point for such a train.

Having more different stopping patterns also decreases the efficiency with which you can use your network. If you want to run trains every 10 minutes at regular intervals it helps a lot if they all stop at the same places.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #200
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Fyra doesn't have YET that much ridership because:

2. The supplement is too pricey.

3. There is just 18 services/day.
Indeed. They should just integrate the whole service in the existing IC network. Have the normal Amsterdam - Rotterdam (and beyond) IC's travel on the line, and the trains will be full.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote