daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #2081
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Allowing more than one tram on the stop at the same time is good for capacity, even above ground. Manchester's tram system used to only allow one tram on the stop because it used railway style block signalling. If the tram broke down, then the next tram was stranded. Now they have changed the signalling so that more than one tram can be on the stop at the same time, so now if the tram in front breaks down you can pull up behind and get off.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #2082
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

According to this new article (Dutch) on Volkskrant, the railway tunnel project in Delft and its associated real estate development are deep in red. Delft municipality is liable for a substantial part of its funding, but the real estate developers they were waiting for to build around the new rail tunnel never came, and now the city has a large financial liability to sort out.

Apparently this is not the first rail-tunnel-to-be-paid-by-real-estate project that falters, the tunneling and major reconstruction of Amsterdam Zuid has been put on hold for the same reason - lack of eager developers to help foot the bill.

Here in Tilburg they also have some ideas about revamping the whole area around station with real estate proceedings (on the disused Nedtrain facilities and yard), but there hasn't been that much interest to this point.

The problem is that Netherlands has a major glut of office space, around 18% of all office space built is vacant, several projects (started years ago) are coming online, and there are still "ghost capacity" (around 5% of total area tenants no longer want but can't turn back before leases, usually 10-year long, expire). So any rail project that relies on massive construction of expensive office towers is under stress (if undergoing) or at risk (if not started yet).
Old September 11th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #2083
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

A question about internal freight traffic; the only freight trains I see through Den Haag are pulled by Railion, all made of telescopic or closed wagons, as seen in this video:
http://youtu.be/JV-biROkPRM?t=18m44s

Pretty regular and frequent. Does anyone know origin and destination of this service?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #2084
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

I believe... but I'am not sure, that a lot of these trains transport car parts.
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #2085
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Interesting video. It's the first time I have seen a 1600 only using it's front pantograph. There are only 2 reasons why: either the rear one was broken or the car directly behind de loco is a potential fire hazard. I suppose the latter, because the first 3 cars seem to be covered by a tarp.
All I can say, it's not the 'Volvo'-train.
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #2086
DingeZ

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
A question about internal freight traffic; the only freight trains I see through Den Haag are pulled by Railion, all made of telescopic or closed wagons, as seen in this video:
http://youtu.be/JV-biROkPRM?t=18m44s

Pretty regular and frequent. Does anyone know origin and destination of this service?
A quick search on flickr foto's reveals that it is a service from Tata Steel in Beverwijk to Kijfhoek, the largest yard in the Netherlands.

Wilhem275 liked this post
DingeZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #2087
Wilhem275
The Transporter

So it's also one of the few (if not the only) services using the Haarlem bypass.

In general, is it the only regular freight link using the Oude Lijn?

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old September 12th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #2088
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

There is also a garbage train for the disposal site at VAM in Noordwijkerhout.

There isn't much freight on the Oude Lijn because of the Betuweroute, a purpose built freight route connecting Rotterdam (Kijfhoek) with Germany (Emmerich). From the harbour of Rotterdam, freight trains use the 'Havenspoorlijn' to get to the Kijfhoek shunting yard. From there, the Sophiaspoortunnel leads directly to the Betuweroute.

Germany-bound freight trains coming from the harbours of Amsterdam go via Utrecht and at Meteren (just below Geldermalsen), they turn onto the Betuweroute.
Old September 12th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #2089
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63103

It's of course not because of the Betuweroute, that's a completely different direction. It's more because there simply aren't too many freighttrains heading from Rotterdam to North Holland. And the trains to and from the Kijfhoek yard to the harbor of Amsterdam usually use the route via Gouda & Breukelen.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #2090
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Gouda cheese and Brooklyn. Most freighters are running between Rotterdam and Germany...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #2091
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Same as I wrote in the NL roads topic, in the Haagse Hogeschool building I found an old city map dated July 1995, and the before/after comparison is even more interesting for railways and public transport.

The school building itself was still to be completed. The Leeghwaterplein tram tunnel is reported, but trams were still running along the Laakkade.
Hollands Spoor still had some freight sidings.

The large depot near Voorburg didn't exist.

Zoetermerlijn still was of NS, with just two stops, and the Laan van NOI overpass didn't exist.

Scheveningen was the terminus of tram 8.

And of course the whole tram tunnel system was still to come...

What I see, in general, is that the lines scheme changed a lot, as well as the whole setup of the central area.

Which opens up a lot of questions about the past of the tram network in the city center and around CS before the tunnel.
For example I see that there was a tram overpass in CS and on the nearby buildings, but it then didn't lead to Kalvermarkt.

Any historical info/links/maps/pics/aerials of the area would be much appreciated

And why today is there no tram line reaching Voorburg station?

Old September 12th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #2092
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Which opens up a lot of questions about the past of the tram network in the city center and around CS before the tunnel.
Time for you to visit the Public Transport Museum
This weekend is monument weekend, so grab your chance

Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #2093
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

You might be interested in this site:
http://www.htmfoto.net/100jaarelektrischetram/menu.php

The Dutch wikipedia also has a lot of information including maps with all historic routes for all individual tramlines.

For example the wikipage for line 10 that used to go to Voorburg Station.
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramlij...8Haaglanden%29

For the 2012 timetable the line to Voorburg was closed as part of a larger budget cuts that also included the end of line 8.

The route via the Laakkade has been replaced by the route via the Leeghwaterplein, the tunnel underneath the railway tracks is still relatively new. The tracks on the Laakkade were used just a couple of months ago when there were some works on the tracks in front of HS station.

As for the connection between the tram viaduct from CS to Kalvermarkt. This always was a direct route until late 1995 when the detour via the Schedeldoekshaven was opened as the route via the kalvermarkt was closed for the construction of the tram tunnel. When that map was published the route via the Kalvermarkt was still running, I guess they anticipated the closure that lasted until 1997.

If you want to see lots of old pictures from The Hague you must go to this website:
http://www.haagsebeeldbank.nl/beeldbank

It's in dutch but it's quite easy to navigate, you can search on wijk = neigborhood or you just search for a street. It also has a lot of aerial shots from different periods,

And if you got specific questions about The Hague then you are always welcome to ask them in the The Hague section of the Holland Hoogbouw Forum on SSC.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2343

Old September 13th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #2094
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Amsterdam Centraal

IMG_4093 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4083 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4113 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4317 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4318 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4319 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4326 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4125 by Momo1435, on Flickr

Road_UK, kyah117, 3737, Slagathor, Silly_Walks and 2 others liked this post
Old September 13th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #2095
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

IMG 4317 looks like a new type train in the NS stock. Is that a new Sprinter? When did it come into service?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #2096
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

It's the SLT "Sprinter Lighttrain" It's the newest trains currently in service but they have been around for a while now, they came into service in 2009.

Road_UK liked this post
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #2097

Likes (Received): 1038

Today the dutch railways celebrated their 175th birthday. The first steam train Arend drove between Amsterdam and Haarlem at 20 september 1839. Today historic trains drove between Haarlem and Amsterdam and you could visit the Haarlem workshop which I visited.

The Haarlem workshop is used to refurbish/overhaul old trains for example all DDZ, ICMm.
At the moment they are finishing the DDZ project and last week they have started with the refurbishing of the oldest VIRM trainsets to VIRMm.
Also they repair and overhaul the ICRMm coaches for the IC direct service and DDAR for the sprinter services.

In 175 years the landscape didn't change that much though

The first part of the Haarlem workshop repairs wheels and axles.
Some VIRM axles.

They got a machine that smoothens the wheels to prevent what is called square wheels.

A SLT chassis

A chassis of Mat24 Jaap.

A lot of wheels of different train types

A mat64 needing some new plate work at the repairshop.

A spare Virm front (they used this one for the railklipper).

The prototype DDZ carriage.

A Bs ICRm carriage given a new paint for the IC direct service.

They also refurbish some BM73 trainsets from norway.

Altough they don't have a new interior yet.

VIRM 9411 will be the first trainset to be refurbished to VIRMm.

The new livery for the VIRMm. Just like DDZ the blue band will run below instead of up. They will also get the same type of interior as DDZ.

Another Bs ICRMm almost ready for the IC direct service.

All new repainted carriages got new white arrows.

Also some historical trainsets were visiting the workshop like the DE1 camel.

They also did some ballet dancing with MAt24 Jaap (I will upload a video of it tomorrow).
The workshop Haarlem adopted the mat24 carriage which they maintain in perfect condition (as can be seen with the chassis).

The NS also repainted a VIRM in a different livery to celebrate the 175th birtday but also to make awareness that from 2018 all trains will run on clean energy.

A close up (also notice the white arrows on the doors.

The 1201 used for a special service between Amsterdam and Haarlem.

Suburbanist, Road_UK, Slagathor liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #2098
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
The 1201 used for a special service between Amsterdam and Haarlem.
No steam locos available, or wouldn't they be allowed on the track?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #2099
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Today I had my first ride in a new DDZ (Den Haag - Utrecht) and I have to say that I find the project very convincing. A very comfortable ride, and good spaces inside.
I'm not 100% sure about the strange sculptures used as door handles, but in my first weeks here I understood that this place has a fetish for weird statues

On the way back we had an ICMm, which I already tried in 2011, and I still judge positively that project as well. Maybe they could have widened the internal doors, a bit too fit.

I like the new livery applied on DDZ, apart from those white arrows: if I didn't knew there is a button to open the door (pretty far from it), I'd go straight to push the arrows themselves.
I know there's a behavioural design reason for keeping the opening button away from the door, but it can be confusing for non-regular users, and the arrows are exactly where you would look for the button...
Also, why the arrows? If the problem is making the door more recognizable, I think giving it a bright frame or full color would be more effective.

Will the VIRMm also have technical updates?

Last edited by Wilhem275; September 20th, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old September 21st, 2014, 12:07 AM   #2100
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The white arrows are being introduced to deal with a new requirement relating to rolling stock design: there must be something to make the doors visually distinctive from the rest of the set.

Arriva had Stadler lengthen some of the trains they use in Groningen. As this counts as a modification of existing rolling stock, Arriva was required to apply the distinction to the doors. The doors are now completely white, where they used to be red. Most likely, NS's designers did not consider it attractive to give the entire door a different colour, so they opted for white arrows instead.

About the placement of door opening buttons: I think this has to do with the mechanism that opens those doors: they open outwards, then sway sideways. It could be that it was not possible to get a reliable system (connections failing due to frequent movement), so they placed them besides the doors instead. The newer SLT rolling stock does have the buttons on the doors themselves, but those trains don't use that mechanism.

Regarding VIRM: the design will be altered to save energy, the interior lighting system will be replaced with LEDs as is done in DDZ. The most important technical update has already been done: on the VIRM-1 sets (oldest generation), the traction equipment has been replaced with a newer IGBT version. This was because the 25 kV ~ from HSL-Zuid caused electromagnetic interference in the VIRM rolling stock, which could influence the ATB system.