daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2014, 02:49 PM   #2201
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Tilburg - reconstruction

There is heavy reconstruction of tracks going on Tilburg station. Works are going to last longer then scheduled, and therefore no trains are circulating at least until Saturday, maybe longer.

This weekend an accident happened at the construction site, one worker was injured and required emergence evacuation.

Source of all pics: Brabants Dagblad

Huge lines for replacement buses

Future situation

The collapsed platform where the accident happened

Source of all pics: Brabants Dagblad

dimlys1994, BringMe liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; October 23rd, 2014 at 03:06 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2014, 03:04 PM   #2202
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Yep, a friend of mine had to take the Snelbus from Den Bosch to Breda (otherwise her Nijmegen - Brussel trip would have got much longer).

She said the transfer was well organized and assisted.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 03:11 PM   #2203
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Yep, a friend of mine had to take the Snelbus from Den Bosch to Breda (otherwise her Nijmegen - Brussel trip would have got much longer).

She said the transfer was well organized and assisted.
She could have travelled to Geldermalsen and then taken the Veolia train to Dordrecht as well
Old October 23rd, 2014, 03:58 PM   #2204
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
She could have travelled to Geldermalsen and then taken the Veolia train to Dordrecht as well
[pedantry]Or even the Arriva train![/pedantry]
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:25 PM   #2205
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
She could have travelled to Geldermalsen
From Arnhem, not Nijmegen

And even from Arnhem, I wouldn't bet about it being faster...

The only real alternative proposed by 9292 was to go via Roermond - Maastricht - Liège, but with long parts of the trip on local trains (could become really boring).

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 06:00 PM   #2206
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
From Arnhem, not Nijmegen

And even from Arnhem, I wouldn't bet about it being faster...

The only real alternative proposed by 9292 was to go via Roermond - Maastricht - Liège, but with long parts of the trip on local trains (could become really boring).
Strange. If she's travelling from Anrhem to Bruxelles-Midi/Brussel-Zuid, I believe it would be faster to just travel to Rotterdam via Utrecht, wouldn't it?
Old October 23rd, 2014, 06:21 PM   #2207
Wilhem275
The Transporter

No, I was meaning that you may use the Geldermalsen detour from Arnhem but not from Nijmegen

For the sake of curiosity I checked the normal timetables (without the Tilburg issues): even from Arnhem it's still slightly faster to go straight to Roosendaal than via Utrecht - Rotterdam.
That Zwolle - Roosendaal IC is an interesting service, looks like the backbone of internal NL

PS: unless you want to use the HSL from Rotterdam.

Old October 23rd, 2014, 07:40 PM   #2208
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The Zwolle - Roosendaal IC is comprised of a few overlapping services, demand for services between cities outside of these relations is quite low. The IC links Zwolle - Deventer, Deventer - Arnhem, Arnhem - Nijmegen, Nijmegen - 's-Hertogenbosch and 's-Hertogenbosch - Roosendaal.

I wouldn't really call it a backbone, there are services which play a bigger part. For example, the services between Eindhoven, Nijmegen, Alkmaar and Schiphol.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 09:26 PM   #2209
Wilhem275
The Transporter

That's why I specified "of internal NL"... which automatically means "not that important"

But still it's an interesting connection towards the South, although I'm convinced that it's not moving great masses around the Country.

Old October 23rd, 2014, 09:40 PM   #2210
Suburbanist
on the road

The problem with that IC is that is stops too often between Nijmegen and Arnhem, and Deventer and Zwolle. It shouldn't stop in places like Lent, Elst or Wijhe
Old October 23rd, 2014, 09:57 PM   #2211
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
The problem with that IC is that is stops too often between Nijmegen and Arnhem, and Deventer and Zwolle. It shouldn't stop in places like Lent, Elst or Wijhe
But if you would make it skip these stops you would need to provide more sprinters on this line. I doubt it would make sense financially...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:03 PM   #2212
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
But if you would make it skip these stops you would need to provide more sprinters on this line. I doubt it would make sense financially...
no need to. Bizarrely enough, ICs coming from Utrecht and terminating in Nijmegen don't stop on the stations in between, but the IC Rosendaal-Zwolle does. Makes no sense whatsoever.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:12 PM   #2213
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Not so bizarre: as said by AlexNL, the services to Utrecht are much more important than the Roosendaal - Zwolle.

Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:03 PM   #2214
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
The Zwolle - Roosendaal IC is comprised of a few overlapping services, demand for services between cities outside of these relations is quite low. The IC links Zwolle - Deventer, Deventer - Arnhem, Arnhem - Nijmegen, Nijmegen - 's-Hertogenbosch and 's-Hertogenbosch - Roosendaal.

I wouldn't really call it a backbone, there are services which play a bigger part. For example, the services between Eindhoven, Nijmegen, Alkmaar and Schiphol.
One way of thinking of this is that Zwolle to Roosendaal used to be a Sneltrein, so not important enough to be Intercity.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #2215
AlexNL

The Zwolle - Roosendaal service will be sped up between Arnhem and Nijmegen once more capacity is made available, it will then no longer call at intermediate stations. Additional sprinter services will fill the gap left by the IC.

When the IC is sped up, this means that timings down the line also change. It's virtually impossible to change the timetable north of Arnhem due to the absence of a 2nd track between Deventer and Zwolle (you can thank the Germans for that) and because of the connections in Zwolle. Hence, the timing changes have to be applied in Brabant.

If nothing would change in Brabant, this would mean that between Tilburg and Breda, the IC Zwolle - Roosendaal is just a few minutes apart from the IC heading to/coming from The Hague. So NS is most likely to wait until this IC is routed over the high speed line, as this would also cause timing changes in Brabant. Basically, the two ICs could be more or less swapped around.
Old October 24th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #2216
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
between Arnhem and Nijmegen once more capacity is made available
How?
Maybe Nijmegen station needs a track plan a bit less XIX century style...

Quote:
It's virtually impossible to change the timetable north of Arnhem due to the absence of a 2nd track between Deventer and Zwolle (you can thank the Germans for that) and because of the connections in Zwolle.
Didn't know that. But they're 9 km with a ready to use ROW, should not be a big deal (if ever needed).
It's a bit risky to run such a long distance service, which has to cross many nodes, with a strip of single track in the middle.

Quote:
So NS is most likely to wait until this IC is routed over the high speed line, as this would also cause timing changes in Brabant.
You mean that there are plans to send the DH - Venlo via HSL instead of via Dordrecht?
Today it's already a bit faster than the usual ICs (skips Schiedam and Blaak), so it's a deliberate policy.

I have a dream... make it 30% longer and terminate it in Düsseldorf

Old October 24th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #2217
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
used to be a Sneltrein, so not important enough to be Intercity.
That's exactly the problem. Remember that the VIRM isn't called VIRM for nothing. The letters IR mean Inter Regional, which was the class originally intended to replace the sneltrein. This 3rd class of train should be reinstated. Currently a lot of services called Intercity don't deserve that designation.
Old October 24th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #2218
AlexNL

Quote:
How?
By limiting the Arnhem - Tiel service to Elst (where a 3rd platform is under construction). This will clear the way for the IC to run non stop. An additional sprinter train will compensate for the intermediate stations.
Quote:
You mean that there are plans to send the DH - Venlo via HSL instead of via Dordrecht?
Today it's already a bit faster than the usual ICs (skips Schiedam and Blaak), so it's a deliberate policy.

I have a dream... make it 30% longer and terminate it in Düsseldorf
Yes, those plans exist but due to rolling stock shortages the service will be reduced to The Hague - Eindhoven. The rolling stock that is going to be used is the same as currently found on the HSL and towards Brussels, ICRm coaches and Traxx locos.

Wilhem275 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #2219
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Yes, those plans exist but due to rolling stock shortages the service will be reduced to The Hague - Eindhoven. The rolling stock that is going to be used is the same as currently found on the HSL and towards Brussels, ICRm coaches and Traxx locos.
So will there be new Intercity services Eindhoven-Venlo, or just Sprinters calling at all stations between Eindhoven and Venlo?
Old October 24th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #2220
AlexNL

As it currently stands, there will be more trains between Amsterdam and Eindhoven, bringing the total up to 6 tph. Two of them will continue to Venlo.