daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #2281
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

The Benelux train is open for national traffic, and national tickets are valid.

Wilhem275 liked this post
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #2282
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Is there an NMBS vending machine in Roosendaal?
No, not yet, that's why you need to buy your ticket online at NMBS.be You can pay with iDeal or credit card. You get a PDF. Once you are checked-in with OV-chip, your check-in is valid for 6 hours. There is even a checkin/out display at platform 3/4 of Roosendaal.

Wilhem275 liked this post

Last edited by Theijs; October 29th, 2014 at 07:53 PM.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #2283
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
No, not yet
So NMBS are planning to install a machine at Roosendaal?
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #2284
Theijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
So NMBS are planning to install a machine at Roosendaal?
For long time... I guess NMBS will first renew all machines inside Belgium.
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #2285
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Belgium should adopt the OV_Chipkaart
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #2286
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Belgium should adopt the OV_Chipkaart
It would appear that NMBS have gone down the route of mobile ticketing, like Germany and Switzerland.

But they have also got their MOBIB card for Brussels, which I guess could be extended nationwide?
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #2287
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

A nationwide rollout of MOBIB is being worked on.

You can't pay with iDeal at SNCB Mobility (the domestic carrier), only at SNCB Europe (the international ticket sales agency).

NS does not currently enforce the 6 hour journey limit, except when you are on a postpaid plan such as Traject Vrij or the Business Card.
Old October 29th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #2288
Suburbanist
on the road

Back in the day, before the roll-out of new fare structure, NS sent me an email to be part of a pilot program. We paid € 45/month for 4 months, and we could use trains for free on weekends. It was the precursor of the Weekend Vrij.

I was given conflicted info several times by conductors on the first weeks. One said I should only check in at the beginning of my journey. Other said I should check in and out anytime I transferred to other NS train. Other said I should only check-out if I was going to use other product in other companies.

There were two instances when € 10 were withdrawn from my OV-Chipkaart and then refunded the day later (!). Later on problems were fixed.
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #2289
Suburbanist
on the road

On another note, today I learned NS not only owns Kiosk (which I knew) but it also a franchisee or master-operator of several other stores we see on stations like Starbucks, Julia and others. Apparently these operations are highly profitable but, if I read it right on the newspaper, some municipalities resent there is no space for local cafes and shops on most stations as there used to be in the past.
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #2290
AlexNL

NS owns most of the shops on the stations. Some are franchises (such as Starbucks, Burger King, Sissy Boy, ...) but other concepts such as Kiosk, Julia's, Brooodzaak, Wizzl, etc. are NS concepts. Some stations have a shop (mostly a coffee bar or a restaurant) that is not owned by NS but these are quite rare.

On www.nsstationsretailbedrijf.nl you can find the complete list of concepts that are either owned by NS or exploited by them.
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #2291
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
One said I should only check in at the beginning of my journey. Other said I should check in and out anytime I transferred to other NS train. Other said I should only check-out if I was going to use other product in other companies.
What's the final setup?

I'll soon have to use a day ticket I got from Kruidvat.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #2292
AlexNL

Touch in at the start of your journey, touch out when:
- You reach your destination
- You take a detour (such as going from Den Bosch to Utrecht via Arnhem)
- You change operators
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #2293
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Wait, you mean that I have to check in/out every time I change route using the Dagkaart?

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #2294
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
What's the final setup?

I'll soon have to use a day ticket I got from Kruidvat.
We use Weekend Vrij as any other ticket. Check in before boarding frist NS train, do not check if transferring from NS to NS on same direction of travel, do check out/in if transferring to other train operator (Arriva, Veola, Conexxion, Syntus) or to other public transportation. And do check out at the end of the trip.d.
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #2295
AlexNL

I don't know the exact T&C's of the Dagkaart as sold by Kruidvat/AH/Blokker/etc, but I do expect them to state something like that. Even people who have Altijd Vrij (unlimited travel) are required to do that.
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #2296
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Wait, you mean that I have to check in/out every time I change route using the Dagkaart?
Yes.

You can just check out in the morning and then late back at home. If you are changing to a direction that is not allowed for direct travel you need to check out-in again, as if it were another trip.

I don't know the exact regulations on rules of direction allowed to travel, for most cases it is just "don't turn make and don't take routes that make no sense".

Formerly, travel from Tilburg => Amsterdam was only allowed via 's-Hertogenbosch (before HSL-Zuid). Yet, they never bothered me on couple occasions I traveled to Schiphol via Rotterdam. I think they only make a point if you are backtracking or doing something like Den Haag-Utrecht-Eindhoven.

The mechanics of passes and subscriptions are that no money is charged when you tap the token, while you must tap the tokens as if you were a normal regular costumer. Having a pass is a strictly financial arrangement on how you will pay (pre-pay in the case), not on how you use the system. A similar rule is in place for local subscriptions on RET, GVB, HTM
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #2297
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Wow, those guys really can't leave travellers alone.

I got the Dagkaart exactly because I want to take routes that make no sense, I'll have a lot of checking operations...

Old October 29th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #2298
Theijs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
NS owns most of the shops on the stations. Some are franchises.
And a bottle of water is everywhere the same price. No competition, instead ridiculous high price in comparison with a station kiosk in Belgium or Germany.
Old October 29th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #2299
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Yes.

You can just check out in the morning and then late back at home. If you are changing to a direction that is not allowed for direct travel you need to check out-in again, as if it were another trip.

I don't know the exact regulations on rules of direction allowed to travel, for most cases it is just "don't turn make and don't take routes that make no sense".

Formerly, travel from Tilburg => Amsterdam was only allowed via 's-Hertogenbosch (before HSL-Zuid). Yet, they never bothered me on couple occasions I traveled to Schiphol via Rotterdam. I think they only make a point if you are backtracking or doing something like Den Haag-Utrecht-Eindhoven.

The mechanics of passes and subscriptions are that no money is charged when you tap the token, while you must tap the tokens as if you were a normal regular costumer. Having a pass is a strictly financial arrangement on how you will pay (pre-pay in the case), not on how you use the system. A similar rule is in place for local subscriptions on RET, GVB, HTM
Routings are allowed as shown on the ns-site. If I want to travel to my Parents I have five options:
Delft-Breda-Oss
Delft-Rotterdam-HSL-Breda-Oss
Delft-Rotterdam/Den Haag-Utrecht-Den Bosch-Oss
Delft-Rotterdam/Den Haag-Utrecht-Nijmegen-Oss (during construction on certain sections)
Old October 29th, 2014, 10:33 PM   #2300
AlexNL

In the end most train managers won't mind if you have a Dagkaart, most people using those passes are infrequent travellers that don't know what is expected according to the terms and conditions. And because the ticket was already paid for NS is not missing out on money.

Just make sure to do two things:
- Touch in at least once so that an inspector can see that you're not trying to game the system (after the first check-in, it gets locked to that day)
- DO touch in when changing to other operators. You will most likely be issued a fine if you're on an Arriva train without having touched in at an Arriva validator. This is for revenue distribution purposes.