daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #2301
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

This approach makes much more sense

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #2302
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Earlier today NS published a news message to their website, relating to their rolling stock needs and requirements.

In brief:
- NS is in final talks with CAF, a Spanish manufacturer of rolling stock, for the supply of up to 120 new Sprinter trains. These are planned to enter service from 2018.
- 18 sets of DD-AR coaches are taken from the 'mothballfleet', they will enter service later this year to offer additional capacity in some Sprinter series
- NS is still looking if they need additional double deckers but has not yet taken a decision (return of DDM-1?)
- The tender for the IC NG is ongoing, NS aims to have a selection of qualified bidders by the end of the year
- 81 sets of VIRM are being overhauled by NedTrain, as are 301 ICRm coaches. The ICRm coaches are being prepared for operation on the high speed line.

A CAF train

VITORIA MAN liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #2303
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

But will they refurbish the DD-AR taken out of the reserve fleet?

They also mention on that newsletter that all NS routes will have at least 1 train every 30 min per direction all the time during the day. Most already had, some some specific local routes didn't.
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #2304
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6152

Oh god, more Southern European rolling stock... Brace yourselves.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #2305
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

CAF? A well respected and proven company, I'm not worried
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #2306
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Don't worry, I know those CAFs and they're really good stuff. One of the most rational and pleasant internal designs today, and who worked on the homologation process told me that the building quality is very high (also in hidden parts), they didn't find a single screw out of place. They also showed a great performance under 3 kV.
I have no informations about ride quality, but I have no reason to think it will be less than good, the overall project seems well managed.

I'm just not 100% on the idea of using them as Sprinters, they are supposed to be used a bit more as an IR. Compared to the SLT (which is the perfect Sprinter, IMHO) they have less doors, not a completely flat floor, less free "buffer space" next to the doors.

On the other hand, I never saw a Sprinter really packed, so they will probably offer a good travel quality without suffering these shortcomings.

Here's our article about the official presentation from region Friuli Venezia Giulia, you can see many photos we took:
http://www.ferrovieanordest.it/portale/node/803

PS: to be honest, I would trust also Bombardier products made in Italy (Vado Ligure plant), FS got an entire fleet of locos -the largest in Europe- built there and they're sturdy workhorses... the problem is just with the damn AB...

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Slagathor liked this post
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #2307
AlexNL

There are sprinter trains that are definitely packed. Go look between Amsterdam and Almere during rush hour, or Arnhem - Nijmegen.
Old October 30th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #2308
AlexNL

This is what the new NS Sprinter EMUs will look like (altho the livery is still subject to change):

Source: Javier Goikoetxea (CAF)

radamfi, VITORIA MAN, Road_UK liked this post
Old October 30th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #2309
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
There are sprinter trains that are definitely packed. Go look between Amsterdam and Almere during rush hour, or Arnhem - Nijmegen.
Sorry, I simplified too much my sentence. What I had in mind is that there are some Sprinter services which travel less loaded, and these could be served well by a train less "S-Bahn" oriented.

The CAFs can be easily configured in a setup more urban-friendly than the ones I saw (CAF technicians explained us the possible variants), for example with the second door seen in the render.
Probably most of the space between the doors can be configured with foldable seats to gain space, although my impression is that the general design is still more prone to mid-range services than proper local links.

But in NL there is a large amount of Sprinter services which are much more mid-range than a pure S-Bahn, so that's not a bad choice at all.

Old October 31st, 2014, 09:52 AM   #2310
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

These trains are also meant to replace the remaining Mat'64 sets. Thus they are meant more for regional service, not for commuter/suburban service. I would expect things like slightly more comfortable seating, because of longer average journey times.

Wilhem275 liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 07:29 PM   #2311
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Oh god, more Southern European rolling stock... Brace yourselves.
what happens in northern europe with the southern european countries

Jordbcn liked this post
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:41 PM   #2312

Likes (Received): 1035

Last saturday the first (test)train used the new train tunnel trough Delft.
The tunnel will be used for normal service in Q1 2015.

dimlys1994 liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 09:54 PM   #2313
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Don't you think the Delft project should have been built with 4 tracks?
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:09 PM   #2314
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
In fact it is being build with 4 tracks...
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 10:36 PM   #2315
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Do Dutch people realise that their train fares are cheap compared to other northern/western Europeans, apart from Belgium?
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:27 PM   #2316
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Well, two tunnels have been built - they just didn't finish the 2nd one because there was no funding for that at the time.

The doubling of Rijswijk - Delft-Zuid is now expected to be finished somewhere around the end of 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
Do Dutch people realise that their train fares are cheap compared to other northern/western Europeans, apart from Belgium?
Fares are relatively low, indeed. A main contributor to this is not having a long distance network (as we basically have no long distances). The prices have to be low enough to be competitive with the car.
Old November 2nd, 2014, 11:37 PM   #2317
da_scotty

The second tunnel hasn't been build as a matter of fact. Because the construction site is under the current Bridge. So traffic has to switch first before the complete second tunnel can be constructed.

The tunnel will be build though, only, as said, it will be constructed without tracks/equipment due to lack of funding.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 12:39 AM   #2318
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6152

I may have found a way to save a few cents with the OV Chipcard but I'm not sure it's legal.

I travel from The Hague to Leiden (and back) once a week. I'm only there roughly 3 hours. Last Friday, I forgot to check out when I arrived in Leiden.

So when I came back to Leiden Centraal, 3 hours later, I checked out. Then I immediately checked back in again because I was going back to The Hague. Naturally, it registered "Overstap OK."

When I got back to The Hague and I checked out, I was charged € 2.50 for the trip versus the normal € 3.30.

Now, it's obviously a small difference I'm not going to go out of my way for an 80 cent discount. But if you have a trip like that 5 times a week, it might be worth considering. So, could they fine you for doing this?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 01:15 AM   #2319
da_scotty

I suppose.

Because they can see where you checked in (I believe). So if you are traveling in the direction of the city you originated, I suppose you get a fine. But most likely you'll get a slap on the wrist and a talk :P
Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:01 AM   #2320
AlexNL

What you are doing is legal according to the terms and conditions, altho it is probably not intended like that. That is why you are required to check out when you leave the station.

On his overview page, a ticket inspector only sees that you checked in in Leiden at a specific time. He does not see your prior check-in in Den Haag, unless he specifically goes to look for it.

In the future this loophole will be closed as The Hague will get gates and the gates in both Leiden and The Hague will be closed.

Slagathor liked this post