daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:04 PM   #2341
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

At work I use the elevator to go up four floors, but I use the stairs to go down. At railway stations I tend to use the escalator, but I walk on it

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:33 PM   #2342
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

There are continuous inclined escalators, that can fit bicycles. They are used sometimes to give access to underground bike parking. How often are they used on train stations? Is there a count?
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:37 PM   #2343
AlexNL

I've never seen one in a Dutch railway station.
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:54 PM   #2344
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Stairs have railings at the side, so I don't think it is very neccesary. The only ones I know are at Schiphol, which is understandable because of all the luggage. Bicycles aren't allowed in rush hour, so they aren't used in commuter traffic. The recreational traffic has more time, and could also use the elevator.
Inclined escalators have big disadvantages, they take up more space, are less comfortable and slower. So it is logical that the NS chooses for normal escalators.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:55 PM   #2345
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

EDIT: sorry, misunderstood

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #2346
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There are continuous inclined escalators, that can fit bicycles. They are used sometimes to give access to underground bike parking. How often are they used on train stations? Is there a count?
you mean a inclined Tapis Roulant ?

Schiphol has 4 (or 6) per island platform I believe from the platforms up to the main terminal. That is the only Dutch station that has them. The Amsterdam Central Metro Station has them at the new entrance in front of the stations main entrance.
Old November 5th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #2347
AlexNL

And now I'm having a bad experience with the OV-chipkaart. Due to a misadjusted clock, an NS validator charged me full fare instead of free travel (Dal Vrij). According to the transaction history on OV-chipkaart.nl I touched in at The Hague HS at 17:36, which is physically impossible as I was still at work at that time.

To be continued...

Update: it took a few back-and-forths ("Are you really sure? In our administration you checked in at 17:36!"), but NS has committed to refund the fee and will have the case investigated.

Last edited by AlexNL; November 5th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:47 AM   #2348
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

AlexNL:
Slight sidestep, but you seem to be the only person to use the terms 'touch in' and 'touch out'. The terminology commonly used in Dutch is 'inchecken' and 'uitchecken'. That would translate to 'to check in' and 'to check out', which is also used on the English part of the OV Chipkaart website. Your wording would translate to 'inraken' and 'uitraken' in Dutch. I just wonder how you came up with them?
Old November 6th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #2349
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Oyster in London uses the terms 'touch in' and 'touch out', so I guess that is where it comes from.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #2350
radamfi

But in Ireland they say 'touch on' and 'touch off'

https://www.leapcard.ie/en/Home.aspx

I haven't heard anywhere in the English speaking world say 'check in' or 'check out'.
Old November 6th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #2351
AlexNL

radamfi is correct, I did borrow it from TfL. I prefer to use the word 'touch' over 'check' when it comes to OV-chipkaart relation actions, it just looks (and sounds) better.
Old November 6th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #2352
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
AlexNL:
Slight sidestep, but you seem to be the only person to use the terms 'touch in' and 'touch out'. The terminology commonly used in Dutch is 'inchecken' and 'uitchecken'. That would translate to 'to check in' and 'to check out', which is also used on the English part of the OV Chipkaart website. Your wording would translate to 'inraken' and 'uitraken' in Dutch. I just wonder how you came up with them?
As a licensed (but former) English teacher, I have to side with AlexNL on this one. In English, "checking in/out" relates to hotels. The expressions "touch in/out" and "touch on/off" specifically relate to the notion of touching a card on a machine, which came into use as a helpful distinction from the old swipe movement typically associated with credit cards.

The "check in/out" terminology associated with the OV-chipkaart is Dunglish. Strictly speaking, so is the notion of translating it into OV-chipcard or OV-chip card which HTM in The Hague like to do. Since OV is a Dutch abbreviation (Openbaar Vervoer), that makes no sense. It should be either OV-chipkaart or PT-chip card.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #2353
AlexNL

HTM actually calls it OV-chipkaart (for example on their website).

They hired a native speaker for their English announcements, which is why it got mangled to OV chip card.
Old November 6th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #2354
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Maybe HTM, RET and RAndstadRail just become just a single agency.
Old November 6th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #2355
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Maybe HTM, RET and RAndstadRail just become just a single agency.
I thought RandstandRail is just a brand name and all operations are either run by HTM or RET?

I can understand where your logic comes from: the networks are linked through RandstadRail and according to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest...European_Union

'Rotterdam-The Hague' can be defined as a continuous urban area with no gaps in buildings of more than 200 metres.

But I suppose the vast majority of the HTM network is within The Hague and immediate suburbs, similarly for RET within the Rotterdam area, there is still a reasonably visible gap between the two conurbations and both cities have defined, distinct city regions:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadsgewest_Haaglanden
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadsregio_Rotterdam

Last edited by radamfi; November 6th, 2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old November 6th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #2356
radamfi

When discussing it on UK forums, we don't generally translate it and are quite happy to call it the OV-chipkaart.
Old November 6th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #2357
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The Magic Roundabout (Swindon, UK)

Edit, wrong thread
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #2358
radamfi

New fares for 2015:

http://www.ns.nl/reizigers/klantense...even-2015.html

What is meant by the 'Dubbel Opstaptarief'?

Quote:
Daarnaast wordt er bij enkele reizen en dagretours een kleine verlaging toegepast in verband met het oplossen van het Dubbel Opstaptarief
Old November 6th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #2359
saewer

Likes (Received): 8

When you check in with your ov-chipkaart you pay a "opstaptarief" which is a fixed price for each journey and comes above the pay per kilometer fare. However, when you use two different rail providers for your journey there's a change that you pay a double "opstaptarief" (i.e. check in with ariva -> opstaptarief, check out and check in again with ns -> again opstaptarief). This is wrong since this fare should only be paid once per journey.

They have fixed this by giving you back this money but I think they made some faults in the calculation and fixed that now also.
saewer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #2360
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Practically speaking, this means that when you complete a journey with Arriva and then you transfer to NS, the card reader will say Overstap OK instead of Goede Reis?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote