daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #2361
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

I thought that NS don't have a boarding fee? However, I looked on 9292.nl for Roodeschool to Assen, and the fare breakdown is 7.00 from Roodeschool to Groningen on Arriva and 4.30 from Groningen to Assen on NS. Going the other way it is 5.40 on NS and 5.90 on Arriva.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #2362
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

They have one. I think it's 80 cents.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #2363
radamfi

When do you pay the NS boarding fee? I just tested AZU, Utrecht to Rotterdam Centraal and you pay the 0.87 boarding fee and 0.75 fare on the bus, and then 9.90 on the train. But the train only fare from Utrecht Centraal to Rotterdam Centraal is still 9.90.
Old November 7th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #2364
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Really? That's odd...
Old November 7th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #2365
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

The local public transport companies have a common boarding fee, which is paid in the first vehicle. Because the train is more expensive than the local public transport, it has it's own ticket prices, including boarding fee. There simply isn't any integration between local public transport and the NS.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #2366
radamfi

I have always understood that NS train fares and local bus/tram/metro were priced independently, so that is why this discussion of the NS boarding fee is news to me.

The NS fares are here:

http://www.ns.nl/binaries/content/as...e-reiezen-2014

Utrecht to Rotterdam is 56 km so costs 9.90 according to the table. As I understand it, the concept of 'boarding fee' is to enable the pricing formula

boarding fee + (number of km * price per km)

But the NS train fares don't work like that. The train fares get cheaper per km the further you travel, until you get to 243 km and any further distance comes for free. This has been the same as long as I've looked into Dutch train pricing (since the late 90s).

So I can't see the relevance of a boarding fee for NS.
Old November 7th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #2367
saewer

Likes (Received): 8

Nope, that's not correct. Also for rail travel there's a boading fare which is set on €0,87 fixed. This fare is the same for all public transporation providers and methods.
saewer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #2368
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Not correct, you don't pay the € 0,87 if you travel with NS. Their fare calculation method is different from the other operators.
Old November 10th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #2369
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
The train fares get cheaper per km the further you travel, until you get to 243 km and any further distance comes for free. This has been the same as long as I've looked into Dutch train pricing (since the late 90s).
This 243 km is that per one-way trip, the entire return trip or per day? Return tickets in the traditional sense don't exist any more, as in their fare is now calculated based on 2 one-way tickets. Otherwise 2 long trips on a single return ticket would be cheaper then using the chip card. In all reality there probably aren't that many possibilities in the Netherlands to make a single 243 km trip.
Old November 10th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #2370
radamfi

I am visiting NL on Friday and for once there is a cheap train ticket deal when I am there

http://www.treinreiziger.nl/reizen/k...ar_2014-146636

But, OP = OP!

Is it likely to be sold out by Friday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
This 243 km is that per one-way trip, the entire return trip or per day? Return tickets in the traditional sense don't exist any more, as in their fare is now calculated based on 2 one-way tickets. Otherwise 2 long trips on a single return ticket would be cheaper then using the chip card. In all reality there probably aren't that many possibilities in the Netherlands to make a single 243 km trip.
For one-way trips over 243 km you pay the maximum single fare of 25.40, for example:

Groningen to Rotterdam
Den Helder to Heerlen
Den Helder to Vlissingen

I just noticed that if you transfer between companies you might pay less, for example Roodeschool to Vlissingen costs 25.30.
Old November 13th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #2371
radamfi

Finally, some online reference to the 25 euro dagkaart at Eindhoven airport, dated 10 October.

http://www.treinreiziger.nl/kennisne...e_trein-146540

I got mine back in August. Does anyone know if they are still selling them at Eindhoven airport? I'm planning to pick another one up tomorrow. I'm using iDBus from London to Amsterdam tonight then getting the train to Eindhoven to pick it up. If they aren't selling them any more then I won't go to Eindhoven, as I would then go direct to Arnhem instead, so it would be useful to know now.
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #2372
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
Finally, some online reference to the 25 euro dagkaart at Eindhoven airport, dated 10 October. http://www.treinreiziger.nl/kennisne...e_trein-146540 I got mine back in August. Does anyone know if they are still selling them at Eindhoven airport? I'm planning to pick another one up tomorrow.
I was 2 November on the airport, GWK was already closed. GWK still sells it, but no price was mentioned on the poster.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #2373
radamfi

I did buy another one at Eindhoven airport yesterday morning, as well as buying a code from HEMA. At GWK, I was given a leaflet saying that you can use it for free on the 400/401 buses between the airport and central station. The ticket does not work the reader on the bus but the driver knew that it was accepted.

At Arnhem, I touched in on the Arriva/Breng reader and the dagkaart was accepted. I touched out shortly afterwards to cancel the touch in. I also touched in at Ede-Wageningen and out at Amersfoort on the Valleilijn readers. So I would assume that the 25 euro dagkaart can be used on all train companies.
Old November 19th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #2374
radamfi

This is what you get with the 25 euro dagkaart at Eindhoven airport. The GWK lady circled the bus numbers.

Last edited by radamfi; November 19th, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 02:40 PM   #2375
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

The last AnsaldoBreda V250 has left the country yesterday and is now being towed back to Pistoia.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 02:49 PM   #2376
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Luckily they don't have to update the google imagery:

[IMG]http://i57.************/1193pq8.png[/IMG]
Old November 26th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #2377
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I may have found a way to save a few cents with the OV Chipcard but I'm not sure it's legal.

I travel from The Hague to Leiden (and back) once a week. I'm only there roughly 3 hours. Last Friday, I forgot to check out when I arrived in Leiden.

So when I came back to Leiden Centraal, 3 hours later, I checked out. Then I immediately checked back in again because I was going back to The Hague. Naturally, it registered "Overstap OK."

When I got back to The Hague and I checked out, I was charged € 2.50 for the trip versus the normal € 3.30.

Now, it's obviously a small difference I'm not going to go out of my way for an 80 cent discount. But if you have a trip like that 5 times a week, it might be worth considering. So, could they fine you for doing this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by verfmeer View Post
It is legal. Because this is a new journey, you can travel anywhere, including your original starting point.
When travelling with the train I suppose this is legal, as long as you check out within 6 hours after your check-in (otherwise it wil cost you 20 Euros).
I tried this and it made me spare much more than a few cents.

Dordrecht - Rotterdam Lombardijen EUR 2,- instead of 3,-

Den Haag HS - Enkhuizen EUR 18,30
Enkhuizen - Den Haag HS EUR 6,80

Is the 6 hours limit enforced automatically?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Slagathor liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #2378
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Wow, that's a huge difference.
Old November 26th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #2379
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Is the 6 hours limit enforced automatically?
Only on postpaid passes (Traject Vrij, Business Card, ...).
Old November 27th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #2380
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Only on postpaid passes (Traject Vrij, Business Card, ...).
So, with the common Reizen op saldo, I can virtually stay around for the whole day?

Also, at which time of the night are "previous day travels" closed by the system? The question arose with a friend while discussing what happens with night travels.

Not strictly related to railways, but the Phileas project is over: the producer (APTS) is starting bankrupcy procedures, and I'm pretty sure no one will develop the project anymore.

Not suprising news, it's just following the same course of all the other "innovative trams on tyres" projects which, IMHO, had no better effects than wasting a lot of money and leaving some cities with a prototypal and incomplete transit system.
At home I have to deal with a couple of Translohr systems and they're afwul: they put together the disadvantages of both trams and buses.
I have no mercy for these projects, nor for those administrations who chose them while the market is offering great trams and buses.

A couple of articles in Dutch:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/economie/ge...flop~a3799154/
http://www.dichtbij.nl/helmond/regio...et-update.aspx

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote