daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #2481
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6142

I think he means the extension to the university. I don't think that's operating yet.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #2482
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Nope, the tram tracks/bus lane are complete in the TU-Campus area, except the reversing loop. Between the station and the Zuidpoort Halt tracks have been laid as well. The Tram/Bus Lane has been in use in the Campus since September for bus lines 69/40 and partly line 121.

The connection at the railway station, the Zuidpoort halt tracks and the new bridge over the Schie have yet to be build. Completion date is expected in 2017, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #2483
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

If the 19 (RR) is terminating there, do they need a reversing loop anyway?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #2484
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

Does any revenue service use this track?
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #2485
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I've seen some night services to Gouda (then reversing towards Rotterdam) departing from Hollands Spoor, in case of planned disruptions on the main line.

It would be interesting to see some regular service terminating there, but the line (to Gouda) is already packed.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old December 16th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #2486
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I don't know if this will be a permanent situation, but it appears that with the new timetable all Sprinters Den Haag CS - Breda/Roosendaal are now operated with SLTs instead of SGMs (this used to happen only during weekends).
For the foreseeable future that is a permanent situation.

Wilhem275 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #2487
da_scotty

Quote:
I've seen some night services to Gouda (then reversing towards Rotterdam) departing from Hollands Spoor, in case of planned disruptions on the main line.

It would be interesting to see some regular service terminating there, but the line (to Gouda) is already packed.
Some services use it when the Rotterdam-Gouda Line is closed, then some IC trains run Gouda-HS-Rotterdam or vice versa.
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #2488
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Is there a list of unusual passenger movements, for example when a section of track is only used a few times a day, or even just once a week?

like this:

http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/intro.htm
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #2489
da_scotty

I believe Somda.nl has some of that, I'm not too sure!
Old December 17th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #2490
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
I believe Somda.nl has some of that, I'm not too sure!
That does at least answer another of my questions. I was going to ask if there was a site showing intermediate times between stops and somda.nl does that.
Old December 17th, 2014, 03:55 PM   #2491
radamfi

This site has information on obscure passenger services throughout the world, including the Netherlands:

http://egtre.info/wiki/Netherlands_-...enger_services
Old December 17th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #2492
Suburbanist
on the road

Night trains in Brabant are under risk of being cut at the end of 2015. The province doesn't want to pay anymore for it, citing low ridership, and it will be up to the cities to decide whether to fund night trains or not.
Old December 17th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #2493
da_scotty

pfff it's on off on off, maybe the cause of low ridership has partly something to do with the service being there one year, than being cut only to be reinstated and cut again...
Old December 17th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #2494
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

All we have to do is turn Brabant into one big city and it'll be running again. Right, Surby?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #2495
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
pfff it's on off on off, maybe the cause of low ridership has partly something to do with the service being there one year, than being cut only to be reinstated and cut again...
Night trains have been operating since 2010, at least the Rotterdam-Eindhoven-Utrecht "V" axes. What has been on and off is the shuttle 's-Hertogenbosch-Tilburg.

I think they operated trains, at a time, on Thursday nights as well.

Now NS says it will operate trains until 2.00 on weekends, and local govt's need to pay for later trains.
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #2496
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The problem with the Brabant night trains is that they are used mostly by drunk people for intra-Brabant transfer. NS hoped that lots of people would use these night trains to go to and from Schiphol airport, but demand for those services has been quite low on the trains that leave after 2:00.

It costs NS a lot of money to hire the necessary security personnel at the stations and on board the trains, and NS is no longer willing to cover these costs even partially (and rightfully so). The trains are used by a lot of students who travel for free thanks to their OV-studentenkaart, which yields NS no money and thus no funds to run the trains.

Maybe NS should do what RET and GVB are already doing for their nightly transport: i.e. charging a seperate fee or requiring some sort of supplement?
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #2497
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Maybe NS should do what RET and GVB are already doing for their nightly transport: i.e. charging a seperate fee or requiring some sort of supplement?
I see NS' point, but I think there should be some -governative?- support for this kind of usage, to put into youngsters' mind the habitude of using the train when drunk.

No one likes dealing with drunkies, but better on a train than driving a car...

Old December 17th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #2498
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
I see NS' point, but I think there should be some -governative?- support for this kind of usage, to put into youngster's mind the habitude of using the train when drunk.

No one likes dealing with drunkies, but better on a train than driving a car...
I don't have data, I can only speak for the students we supervise/help here: they like the ability to use their OV-Chipkaarts to go party in a nearby town, and not have to wait till first morning trains on Sundays.

Before I started to drive more, I well remember taking the first trains Sunday morning, at 7.40 or something like that (I was bored and liked to make most use of my Museumkaart ), there were always a lot of sleepy youngsters at the station and on trains, they were clearly going back home after a night out.

I think night trains made that option more interesting for more people.

I don't know if they still do this on the Randstad, but the times I used night trains to go to Schiphol, they always had a lot of security staff. In Tilburg, they had 3 people controlling access to the platforms, in Rotterdam there were even more (before renovation was completed). They kept asking for tickets several times (tunnel access, platforms), much more than during day service. OF course station was nowhere as busy as daytime, but the level of staffing was noticeable. I'm sure night staffing costs more.

There is also the issue of disruptions. I think they are now over with it, but in 2011-13 more often than not there were delays or cancellations on the route to Rotterdam and they were fixing several things on the tracks.
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #2499
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
NS hoped that lots of people would use these night trains to go to and from Schiphol airport, but demand for those services has been quite low on the trains that leave after 2:00.
If I lived in Breda/Tilburg/Eindhoven I would be using the night trains for that reason, not after a night out. But wouldn't you want to get to the airport for early flights on any night of the week, not just at weekends? How about running a luxury bus (coach in British English) from Noord Brabant to Rotterdam on nights that the train doesn't run, or even direct to Schiphol? You can get from many parts of England and Wales to Heathrow or Gatwick on overnight coaches. If you live in Eindhoven, you can't get to Schiphol until 0659 (unless you pay silly money for airport parking) but if you live in Amsterdam you can get to Eindhoven airport for 0515, because there is a bus from Amsterdam at 0330.
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #2500
Suburbanist
on the road

There are several private shuttles that take you to Schiphol during the night. They are not expensive if you book in advance. You can get a transfer from Eindhoven to Schiphol for €200 on a van sitting 5 passengers and luggage. Not cheap, but also not terribly expensive if you are travelling as a family, for instance.