daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #2541
mistertl

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
I'm not technically knowledgeable about signalling, but it seems like in the Netherlands when you have a signal fault, it means no trains until it is fixed. In the UK, if the signal fault is not on a junction, normally it means that all trains will stop at the signal, call the signalling centre or signal box, blow the train's horn, and then move slowly until the next signal. If the next signal is green, then the train can proceed normally. So an isolated signal fault that is not on a junction in the UK normally only makes a few minutes delay on a quiet line, and maybe 30 minutes delay on a busy line because of trains queuing.
It depends on the situation. On the main line, without switches/junctions, the driver will request permission to pass the signal at danger. The driver will have to drive 'on sight' until the train has passed the next signal. In case the next one is also faulty, the driver will continue with driving on sight until the next one, et cetera.
When the signal is before a switch, the driver will get a so called 'aanwijzing StopTonend Sein'. The driver will have to fill in a form with the details regarding the path that has been selected by the traffic controller. With this form, the driver gets permission to pass the signal at danger.

The problem with the last option is that every train that has to pass the signal, is required to have that 'aanwijzing STS'. With one train an hour, it's not a problem. But when there are more than 15 trains an hour passing that signal, it is. At some point, a decision is made to repair the fault immediately, and for safety reasons, the tracks are taken out of service until the signal is repaired.

radamfi liked this post

Last edited by mistertl; December 29th, 2014 at 10:43 AM.
mistertl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #2542
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Today I went through Breda station. The building isn't even finished yet, and there are some water leaks that are staining the ceilings (above the bus bays). Hope they can fix the problem.
This will be done when the whole roof is finished (see the Dutch thread about this in the Noord-Brabant section).

Quote:
Otherwise, I like how the station is turning out. When I had looked at the project drawings, I thought it was going to be underwhelming, so I'm positively surprised.
Except the weird location of the stations shops and stores, which are in a side-corridor of the station instead of the main tunnel.

The station does have a very clinical feel to it below ground though, above ground on platform level its stunning!
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #2543
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post

The station does have a very clinical feel to it below ground though, above ground on platform level its stunning!
Maybe it is a matter of taste, but I really likes the underground. It is airy enough, it has a post-industrial feel to it, cold colors. and very good looking floors. I wonder how it will age.
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #2544
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Seems I will have to take a look there, after my exams are over... what about Tilburg, will it take long to get its final shape?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 12:55 AM   #2545
da_scotty

The shape won't change (monument), they will just add a tunnel!
Old December 29th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #2546
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astenaar View Post
Wow, really no trains? How do people without a car travel on those days? I used to use the trains a lot with christmas, travelling between work, family and family in law. I was working parttime in healthcare back then, so was obliged to christmas shifts.
Really, almost no trains run in the UK during Christmas. On December 25th, not even Eurostar runs.

Network Rail took advantage of this by planning a lot of engineering works between Christmas and new year. Over 11.000 engineers are at work at over 2.000 sites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
I'm not technically knowledgeable about signalling, but it seems like in the Netherlands when you have a signal fault, it means no trains until it is fixed. In the UK, if the signal fault is not on a junction, normally it means that all trains will stop at the signal, call the signalling centre or signal box, blow the train's horn, and then move slowly until the next signal. If the next signal is green, then the train can proceed normally. So an isolated signal fault that is not on a junction in the UK normally only makes a few minutes delay on a quiet line, and maybe 30 minutes delay on a busy line because of trains queuing.
Signals can be overridden after permission by the signaller, but if a lot of trains pass by that specific signal it will quickly become too much for the signaller and the decision is made to fix the fault.

There's an exception to the "after permission" rule: if the signal is permissive, the driver will have to ask for permission only once. Permissive signals (P-seinen) are not controlled by a signaller but work on the presence of the train in the block which is guarded by the signal. Permissive signals are placed on the "vrije baan" inbetween stations.

If the permissive signals do not clear due to a fault, the driver asks for the signaller's permission to pass the first permissive signal he encounters. Once given, the driver is allowed to pass all permissive signals he encounters.

When driving past a red signal this always has to be done with a speed that is low enough to safely stop the train, should a vehicle still be present in the block. This is called "Rijden op zicht" (driving on sight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Seems I will have to take a look there, after my exams are over... what about Tilburg, will it take long to get its final shape?
The exterior design of Tilburg won't change much, the biggest changes will be the new, wider tunnel. The project is expected to be completed in june 2016.

radamfi liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #2547
Suburbanist
on the road

I was thinking here about major station reconstruction projects. In my opinion, Rotterdam Centraal has the best hall, Arnhem the best concourse and Breda the best platforms.
Old December 29th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #2548
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6103

You don't think the Utrecht concourse will be nicer? And to be honest I think the Breda platforms just look good, but it can't beat Arnhem with its gorgeous platform canopies and airy stairwells.

Wilhem275 liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #2549
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
You don't think the Utrecht concourse will be nicer? And to be honest I think the Breda platforms just look good, but it can't beat Arnhem with its gorgeous platform canopies and airy stairwells.
I'm not considering Utrecht since works are on an early stage, so it is difficult to get an impression.

Arnhem looks very nice, and feels nice as long as it isn't raining. I agree about the stairwells.
Old December 29th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #2550

Likes (Received): 1038

As of today at 26 stations the OV chipcard gates are closed.
A list:

Gates closed

Rotterdam Zuid
Rotterdam Alexander
Rotterdam Lombardijen
Barendrecht
Capelle Schollevaar
Zwijndrecht
Zoetermeer Oost
Voorschoten
Woerden
Culemborg
Houten
Zaltbommel
Amsterdam Sciencepark
Amsterdam Holendrecht
Nieuw-Vennep
Santpoort Noord
Beverwijk
Heiloo
Den Helder
Hoorn Kersenboogerd
Hoorn
Almere Centrum
Almere Poort
Breda Prinsenbeek
Best
Enschede

Partially closed

Rotterdam Centraal
Rotterdam Blaak
Amsterdam Zuid
Houten
Maassluis
Schiedam Nieuwland
Vlaardingen Centrum
Vlaardingen Oost
Zoetermeer
Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena
Schiedam Centrum
Gouda (zuidzijde)

Gates still open

Amsterdam Centraal
Amsterdam Amstel
Amsterdam RAI
Leiden
Helmond
Utrecht Overvecht
Roosendaal
Zaltbommel

No gates available

Den Haag Centraal
Den Haag HS
Rijswijk
Delft
Dordrecht
Gouda (noordzijde)
Utrecht Centraal
Amersfoort
Arnhem Centraal
Groningen
Schiphol

Source: metro (dutch)
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #2551
AlexNL

Breda has been equipped with gates, but they're still open. I expect that they will remain open until the tunnel linking the main entrance (northern side) with the city center (southern side) is fully built.
Old December 29th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #2552
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
The shape won't change (monument), they will just add a tunnel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
The exterior design of Tilburg won't change much, the biggest changes will be the new, wider tunnel. The project is expected to be completed in june 2016.
I believed there was something bigger going on... ok, I won't miss much

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #2553
da_scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Breda has been equipped with gates, but they're still open. I expect that they will remain open until the tunnel linking the main entrance (northern side) with the city center (southern side) is fully built.
Same as Delft, in fact, you can see the lights of the new gates are already turned on in the new station!
Old December 31st, 2014, 06:32 PM   #2554
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=529

Alstom and Bombardier to contest Dutch train order
Tuesday, December 30, 2014

BOTH Alstom and Bombardier have initiated legal proceedings against Netherlands Railways (NS) over the direct award of an order for 60 Flirt EMUs to Stadler

Despite running a public competitive tender for 118 Sprinter trains, which was won by CAF, NS announced its intention in November to order an additional 60 Sprinter EMUs without competitive tendering, stating that urgent and unforeseen circumstances would allow it to circumvent European Union legislation on competitive tendering for large equipment orders by public bodies, and enable it to negotiate a contract directly with Stadler for the trains.

This is the second time in a rather short period that NS has justified a major order without competitive tendering on the grounds of urgent and unforeseen circumstances. NS ordered class 186 Traxx locomotives directly from Bombardier – which are now being delivered - in the same way, however, there were no appeals from manufacturers or leasing companies that time
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 09:46 PM   #2555
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Why from Stadler instead from CAF? To have them more quickly?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:10 PM   #2556
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Why from Stadler instead from CAF? To have them more quickly?
They just added more trains over an already fulfiled order, beyond the normal scope for extending a contract. NS wants to increase local services and it doesn't have rolling stock to do so.

Same reason they fast-tracked orders of new locos for the unacceptably slow trains to be used on HSL services after the issues with the V250, but in this case the necessity for a replacement fit for traffic before 2020 was more evident as a somehow unforeseeable circumstance, compared to the increase in local services that motivated the STADLER order.
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:22 PM   #2557
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

The photo of an SLT is misleading: these were built by Bombardier and Siemens, not by Stadler. There are no Stadler Flirts in the Netherlands (just some Stadler GTW by some private operators, not NS).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:27 AM   #2558
AlexNL

That is not completely true:
- FLIRT trains already run between Hamm, Düsseldorf and Venlo. Those sets are only capable of operating under 15 kV and are not allowed to go over 60 km/h in the Netherlands because they do not meet the latest crashwortiness standards. This is not a problem as the distance from the German border to Venlo station is only a few kilometers.
- FLIRT trains are on order for the Arnhem - Düsseldorf service that will be operated by Abellio from June 2017.
- For Gouda - Alphen a/d Rijn, Abellio has ordered FLIRT trains from Stadler as well. These should enter services from december 2016.

This explains the choice for Stadler FLIRTs by NSR: by the time they need them, the FLIRT should have been homologated for running in the Netherlands.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:59 AM   #2559
Suburbanist
on the road

Is there some particular story about how Connexion ended up being the sole operator of a minuscule fleet of Protos trains?

Protos in Amersfoort by bramwesterink, on Flickr
Old January 2nd, 2015, 02:38 AM   #2560
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6103

Um, I guess they just won the tender?
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote