daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2015, 01:23 PM   #2581
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26154

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=529

Legal challenge to NS EMU order dropped
Tuesday, January 20, 2015

NETHERLANDS Railways (NS) is set to go ahead with an order for 60 EMUs from Stadler after Alstom and Bombardier decided not to continue with legal proceedings against NS' decision to award the contract directly to Stadler

NS says it decided to order the Flirt 3 trains without competition because the design has "proven itself" in service in various other countries. Moreover, rapid delivery is essential for NS because more students will qualify for discounted travel from 2016 onwards, which is expected to lead to a sharp increase in regional passenger traffic

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2015, 02:14 AM   #2582
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Indeed from next year vocational school students will get free transportation like university and technical education students.

The government is putting some pressure on these educational institutions to postpone most classes to 10.00 and later when possible, to reduce overcrowding pressure on public transportation.
Old February 4th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #2583
Suburbanist
on the road

Can anyone tell me where this pic (from reddit "Design Fail") was taken?

Old February 4th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #2584
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I bet 1€ on Arnhem:

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #2585
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

jup, I think Arnhem as well, one of the tracks at the side of the "station valley".
Old February 4th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #2586
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

That is indeed Arnhem.
Old February 5th, 2015, 02:56 AM   #2587
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Anyway, I wouldn't be so dramatic and call it a design fail. It's just a compromise between the regular shape of the underpass and the bend given to the most external tracks. The alternative would have been narrower stairs.

In practical use the user will be clearly invited to walk on the -wide- other side of the stairs. That tiny space is there only in case a train will stop with doors there, to let people out.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a signal telling trains to stop earlier than that point.

EDIT
Here it is:

The background wall made me think it was on the other side of the station.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #2588
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

I would like to plea in favor of a little Darwinism here. If you're dumb enough to walk on that stretch when there's a freight train coming, frankly you deserve to get caught.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #2589
Suburbanist
on the road

IT's from October, but nonetheless a nice video i think wasn't posted here yet: a time lapse of the works to build a new passageway underneath tracks in Tilburg stdation

Aumgn liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #2590
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26154

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=528

Final NS Traxx locomotive handed over
Monday, February 09, 2015

BOMBARDIER formally handed over the last of 19 Traxx F140 MS (class 186) multi-system electric locomotives for Netherlands Railways (NS) in a ceremony at the Dutch Railway Museum in Utrecht on February 6

The ETCS Level 2-equipped locomotives have already been introduced on Amsterdam – Rotterdam Intercity Direct services and they will also be used on Eindhoven – The Hague services from December 2015 operating with refurbished NS ICR coaches

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:48 AM   #2591
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Now NS should cooperate with Bombardier to see if they can rebuild and recertify these to 200 km/h P160 MS locos (you just need to swap the bogies for the 200 km/h bogies already in use in Italy), because it remains ridiculous that they're only running 160 km/h trains on a 300 km/h high speed line. Speeds over 200 km/h are pretty much useless in the Netherlands.
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #2592
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Now NS should cooperate with Bombardier to see if they can rebuild and recertify these to 200 km/h P160 MS locos (you just need to swap the bogies for the 200 km/h bogies already in use in Italy), because it remains ridiculous that they're only running 160 km/h trains on a 300 km/h high speed line. Speeds over 200 km/h are pretty much useless in the Netherlands.
Why? The IC-R coaches have a maximum speed allowance of 160 km/h as well.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #2593
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Ah ? Even the refurbished ones ? Does that mean that the new machines only run at
160 km/h on the HSL ?
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:39 AM   #2594
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

ICRm indeed remains 160 km/h only, but DB has loads of former IC/IR 200 km/h coaches set aside, which could be procured quickly if needed. Remember IC-K and IC-L?
Old February 10th, 2015, 11:06 AM   #2595
AlexNL

"Procured quickly", ahem. Those coaches would probably never meet the strict safety requirements on the high speed line, nor the requirements about noise emission levels. Furthermore, retrofitting the locomotives for 200 km/h operation is more easily said than done as this would require a lot of modifications to their construction.

The coaches and locomotives are an interim solution for until when NS starts the intercity replacement program (ICNG). The first batch of trains is intended to replace most of the ICRm rolling stock which nears the end of its economic life around 2020, by when NS intends to have new 200 km/h rolling stock take their place.
Old February 10th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #2596
Suburbanist
on the road

We had made some calculation for Thalys in 2013, I think, about the travel time impact of having max speed set at 320 or 200 km/h on HSL-Zuid.

Between Hoofddorp and Rotterdam, the time lost is speed were constrained to 200 would be shy of 4 minutes IIRC. Between Rotterdam (Lombardijen) and Antwerpen the time lost would by a 200km/h train instead of 320km/h train would be 12 minutes.

Somebody had posted a speed graph of Thalys locos here on actual trips, but I couldn't easily find the graph again
Old February 10th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #2597
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Those coaches would probably never meet the strict safety requirements on the high speed line, nor the requirements about noise emission levels. Furthermore, retrofitting the locomotives for 200 km/h operation is more easily said than done as this would require a lot of modifications to their construction.

The coaches and locomotives are an interim solution for until when NS starts the intercity replacement program (ICNG). The first batch of trains is intended to replace most of the ICRm rolling stock which nears the end of its economic life around 2020, by when NS intends to have new 200 km/h rolling stock take their place.
Those coaches are also used on the Neubaustreckes by DB so that can't be a problem. Noise wise they meet German standards, but it wouldn't surprise me that the Netherlands imposes stricter noise limits, because the Netherlands is a 'special' case after all (mostly because of design flaws in several concrete construction resulting in more noise).

Bombardier has claimed in the past that a bogie change takes about 2 weeks per locomotive, but because it hasn't been done before we have to take their word for it.

It will take way past 2020 before ICNG is certified and delivery is up to speed. They could have had faster train much earlier if they had wanted to.
Old February 10th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #2598
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Between Hoofddorp and Rotterdam, the time lost is speed were constrained to 200 would be shy of 4 minutes IIRC. Between Rotterdam (Lombardijen) and Antwerpen the time lost would by a 200km/h train instead of 320km/h train would be 12 minutes.
Sounds about right. But realise that you need a about 30 milion euro high speed train to reach 300 km/h, where a 8 milion euro set of locomotive and 7 coaches is enough for 200 km/h. Does 300 km/h still make sense then?

Look at it from a marketing point of view. There is just no incentive to switch to train travel when you see a train at 130 km/h slowly crawl past you while driving on the adjacent highway at 125 km/h. A lot of people still take a plane to go from Amsterdam to Paris, because they think it's faster. When you take the real end to end travel time a Thalys is probably just as fast, but loses out to the planes faster image. Image is very important and the Dutch railways image at the moment has room for improvement.
Old February 10th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #2599
Suburbanist
on the road

But Thalys ridership rose significantly after 2010.
Old February 10th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #2600
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
It will take way past 2020 before ICNG is certified and delivery is up to speed. They could have had faster train much earlier if they had wanted to.
And there's your problem.

The horrible thing is... back in 2013/2014, after the Fyra collapse, NS managed to persuade the government that it's not possible to run 200 km/h before 2021.

NS claims they need 8 years to order some 200 km/h trains. And the State believed them!