daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 1st, 2015, 06:34 PM   #2661
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

How it looked like above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMsOCpv2Pho (from minute 10)

What is the concrete structure on the right around at minute 16? It looks like a new bridge to replace this one one (and maybe also the level crossing), is it correct? If not, are there plans to close this level crossing?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2015, 06:45 PM   #2662
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I assume they will now proceed to demolish the old route and station. Is that so?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:48 PM   #2663
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
How it looked like above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMsOCpv2Pho (from minute 10)

What is the concrete structure on the right around at minute 16? It looks like a new bridge to replace this one one (and maybe also the level crossing), is it correct? If not, are there plans to close this level crossing?
In Netherlands, it is not allowed to have 4-track level crossings so they are raising the bridge there, and they will probably depress the road a bit as well, I think.
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:54 PM   #2664
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I assume they will now proceed to demolish the old route and station. Is that so?
The station building and possibly a part of platform 1 will remain, as the station building is a monument. It's now planned to become a restaurant, and the former platform will become a terrace.
Old March 1st, 2015, 07:58 PM   #2665
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6103

Haha. No, of course not. Have you looked at the old station? It's a jewel.
They're now going to demolish the viaduct and old rail tracks. Then the last part of the municipal building can be finished and the western tunnel can be completed (with 2 tracks and a plaform in it). Next to that they will make a parking garage with a canal on top.

@Coccodrillo It's the start of the future doubling of the tracks. The Amsterdam-Dordrecht route will be fully 4-tracked in the future. The section between The Hague and Rotterdam is still 2-tracked. I suppose the location you pointed at will become a viaduct of some sort

Here you can see a panorama visualiation of different angles of what it will look like when done.

http://www.spoorzonedelft.nl/ is the project website for anyone wondering.

dimlys1994, Surel, Coccodrillo liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:13 PM   #2666
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post

I Think it might be the DSM industrial tail track. DSM (yeast production) lost it's railway connection during construction but it should be returned, that's also the track seen diverging to the right just before the tunnel and viaduct line converge.
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:13 PM   #2667
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
The Amsterdam-Dordrecht route will be fully 4-tracked in the future. The section between The Hague and Rotterdam is still 2-tracked. I suppose the location you pointed at will become a viaduct of some sort
Almost. Delft Zuid - Schiedam will remain 2 tracks.

As the Hoekse Lijn will be linked to the subway network of Rotterdam, trains can use the former Hoekse Lijn track, but it is yet to be seen how ProRail will utilize this to make 4-track use of Schiedam - Rotterdam effective. Right now, the Hoekse Lijn-tracks lead to platform 1 in Rotterdam.
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:15 PM   #2668
MrAronymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post

IMG_3882 by Momo1435, on Flickr
Fun fact, the lady in the white coat is the head architect. I'm pretty jealous you got to 'meet' her.

@AlexNL; yeah I already thought of it after I posted. In a video of a tour of the new station a guy working for Spoorzone Delft said they will put the signals between Delft-Zuid and Schiedam closer together, so more trains will be able to run.
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:35 PM   #2669
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Here you can see a panorama visualiation of different angles of what it will look like when done.

http://www.spoorzonedelft.nl/ is the project website for anyone wondering.
Thank you! Very nice project indeed.

Would you know what is the costs just for the rail infrastructure without all other development? I have just skimmed the page and they say the total budget is over € 1 bln, the total tunnel length should be 2.3 km.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:51 PM   #2670
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
The station building and possibly a part of platform 1 will remain, as the station building is a monument. It's now planned to become a restaurant, and the former platform will become a terrace.
It would be really cool if they left a piece of track and parked a few old railcars there. How about a few old restaurant cars for example.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 10:09 PM   #2671
da_scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Thank you! Very nice project indeed.

Would you know what is the costs just for the rail infrastructure without all other development? I have just skimmed the page and they say the total budget is over € 1 bln, the total tunnel length should be 2.3 km.
450 million I believe!

Surel liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 01:06 AM   #2672
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Would you have some track schemes with distances of the rails before and after, description of the project, and some costs calculations? Thank you.
By rails distances you mean how wide is the space between tracks, or how long the railway is?
The overal lenght is almost identical, the new underground path is perfectly parallel to the old viaduct.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 02:51 AM   #2673
Crownsteler

Likes (Received): 474

Am I the only one btw who thinks the entrance into the bicycle garage is rather dubious? A bit of rain and the whole tunnel floods...

Anybody know how the migigated the risk of flooding?
Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:26 AM   #2674
da_scotty

The whole water/canal system in the Netherlands is regulated, rain is so often that it doesn't really effect the water table much. I row/coach on the rivers in Delft and the water level (except in summer) rarely goes way up. If there's a lot of rain they open a sluice elsewhere (usually near a main river) and the water level drops.

Where in the Netherlands, flooding mitigation is step 1 in a building progress.

On a side note, the Tunnel does act as water barrier, this used to be the case anyway as the ground underneath the tunnel is of a different material then the surrounding clay, which created a water-break.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 03:09 PM   #2675
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
By rails distances you mean how wide is the space between tracks, or how long the railway is?
The overal lenght is almost identical, the new underground path is perfectly parallel to the old viaduct.
I meant the length of the new alignment. I found it on the project page already. 2.3 km.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 06:22 AM   #2676
Crownsteler

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
The whole water/canal system in the Netherlands is regulated, rain is so often that it doesn't really effect the water table much. I row/coach on the rivers in Delft and the water level (except in summer) rarely goes way up. If there's a lot of rain they open a sluice elsewhere (usually near a main river) and the water level drops.

Where in the Netherlands, flooding mitigation is step 1 in a building progress.

On a side note, the Tunnel does act as water barrier, this used to be the case anyway as the ground underneath the tunnel is of a different material then the surrounding clay, which created a water-break.
I know, I'm Dutch. That is why I find it so bizar. It seems like such an obvious weakness in such an important piece of infrastructure. While we haven't had flooding in a while now, and of course the water level is well regulated, I'm really curious what kind of risk assement they did on it.
Crownsteler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 10:41 AM   #2677
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

C'mon, they figured out how to do this in the 17th century when Amsterdam gained its canals. It's not exactly new science.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 11:59 PM   #2678
MrAronymous

To be honest, there's more dangerous things surrounding the bicycle garage than the water canal itself. Like.. there not being any barriers (not even a curb) when you go upwards to the south. The bike path is directly next to the canal and you could easily drive straight into it. I'm not an advocate of fencing off everything at all, but this situation just seems dangerous. (considering there's even a lot of people who even drive into bright coloured bollards in daytime) They could've extrended the small wall that exists down below in front of the garage a little upwards just to the upper quay level.
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #2679
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Tilburg accident

Can anybody shed some light on this?:
When I look at the pictures it looks like the accident happened here. The passenger train drove from the southernmost orange track onto the black track where unfortunately a freight train was parked, which unfortunately had a filled tankcar at the end.

I don't understand why a passenger train would use this track, because it only started slightly to the east just after the station and already ends slightly further to the west at Tilburg University. Anybody travelling this stretch that can confirm it is used by passenger trains?

First impression: The passenger train started against a red signal and because the route to the middle or northern orange track wasn't set yet it would follow the exact route of the freight train did and ran into it. However that is unlikely because the conductor is not allowed to send the train off without a safe signal indication, the driver is supposed to double check that and pretty much all controlled signals are fitted with ATB-VV to prevent SPADs (but the mat'64 train set may not be, I'm not sure). That in turn suggests that they had a clear signal and that one of two switches may have failed. The switch leading up to the southern orange track is possible but unlikely because the driver would have had plenty of time to react after being sent to an unusual track, but didn't, suggesting he either expected it or this route isn't uncommon. This in turn leads me to suggest that the cause could be a failure of the switch from the orange to the black track. If the train passed that switch at a speed of 40 km/h or over the roughly 75 meters to the end of the freight train would have made it nearly impossible to stop in time.
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #2680
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
I don't understand why a passenger train would use this track, because it only started slightly to the east just after the station and already ends slightly further to the west at Tilburg University. Anybody travelling this stretch that can confirm it is used by passenger trains?
This is very close to home, and I can confirm the Weert/Eindhoven-Tilburg Universiteit trains do use the third all the time, but rarely the fourth. Usually, an IC direction Breda and this Sprinter direction Tilburg Unviersiteit (final destination) depart almost together from Tilbrug station, then the Sprinter immediately cross the main Breda=> Tilburg track and travel slowly until its berth on Tilburg Universiteit.

It is also common to have freight trains parked around there, sometimes for quite a long time while they probably waith a path on the busy line to Rotterdam. Sometimes these trains are parked on the third track I think, I don't understand exactly why.

Last edited by Suburbanist; March 6th, 2015 at 08:50 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote