daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #2701
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
What's bad though, is that after power had been restored NS was totally unable to restore any kind of service. They should have immediately dropped the illusion to restart running according to the time table and simply settle for if-it-can-run-run it.
This is a fairly naive comment. As a matter of fact a railway always need a timetable to run trains. That doesn't change in the aftermath of a black-out.

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:02 PM   #2702
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

A network and service dense as NS' simply cannot be managed without machines. You can do it in manual mode, but it will require a lot of people at work to have maybe 20% of the trains running, not even near to the travellers demands (especially after hours of stopped services).

When power comes back there are so many operations needed to restore all interlockings and to regain control of traffic and fleet management, but after that you can begin to run an almost normal schedule. So it's more convenient to put all people on restoring systems instead of manually authorizing a bunch of trains.

With a dense 30-minutes national timetable it's also convenient to wait for a train to get its slot, instead of sending it whenever it's ready, because it would mess up also areas not involved in the failure.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #2703
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
When power comes back there are so many operations needed to restore all interlockings and to regain control of traffic and fleet management, but after that you can begin to run an almost normal schedule.
Well, if only it was so simple... after such a chaos, trains and people are
anywhere except where they are supposed to be, employees on the trains
and on the line are time-expired so they need to be replaced... by people
who are not there because the power failure prevented them to come to
work. Running a railway is something very sophisticated, and unfortunately
not very robust when incidents arise. So what happened is not a surprise.
It is very symptomatic to see that when any kind of unstability arises in a
country, railways are always among the first things to go away.

Nevertheless, I agree that railway organizations should learn to become more
robust when less catastrophic incidents happen. Probably they have become
too centralized, and do not leave enough decision power to people in the field.
In the past such situations were managed by reserves in people and
rolling stock but those reserves have almost disappeared today : just look
how much time it takes now to get a loco and a driver to rescue a stranded
train...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #2704
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
work.
That was part of the "fleet management" I mentioned

It's a royal mess, no doubt. But I'm pretty sure NS has some backup plans; which are not a detailed map of what to do with which resources because, by definition, in such chaos situations you don't even know your resources, they may be completely random. The backup plan must be a general scheme to quickly reorganize the system with the current resources, once they have been counted (which is a royal mess too).

Good news is that machines can do this resources re-allocation job much faster than men.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old March 31st, 2015, 08:41 AM   #2705
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
This is a fairly naive comment. As a matter of fact a railway always need a timetable to run trains. That doesn't change in the aftermath of a black-out.
No, it isn't naive at all. In fact it's the exact way they would have gone some 30 years ago, back in the days when people instead of computers ran the show.
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:18 PM   #2706
Grzegorz.Janoszka

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
work. Running a railway is something very sophisticated, and unfortunately
not very robust when incidents arise. So what happened is not a surprise.
Before noon electricity was restored everywhere around Amsterdam, but the problems lasted till the late evening. Close to 18:00 on Amsterdam Centraal station the displays were showing "Oproep" or sth similar. No display was showing any data about trains and the station looked a little bit empty.
My trains usually depart from platform 1 and within a minute a train came to this platform and stopped. Few minutes after I boarded there was an announcement "Dear passengers, welcome to an unidentified train going into unidentified direction, hopefully via Haarlem". The next announcement was "We will depart in a few minutes to Haarlem, it is still unknown where will go next" and eventually just before departure "This train will go to Haarlem and then to Hoorn stopping on all stations. At least this is our intention. If you want to go to Zandvoort you can go to Haarlem and over there you might try to catch other trains".
It shouldn't be that hard to restore functionality within 2 hours, but the problems lasted the whole day. The trains didn't vanish, they didn't break, they were just off the schedule, that is it. First you run some trains on best-effort basis and then you fit them into the schedule.
Grzegorz.Janoszka está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 03:23 PM   #2707
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26198

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...-approved.html

Level crossings to go as Harderwijk rebuilding approved
31 Mar 2015

NETHERLANDS: Infrastructure manager ProRail has confirmed that the station at Harderwijk is to be rebuilt by the end of 2016, under an accord signed with national passenger operator NS, the town council and Gelderland province on March 26. As well as improving passenger facilities, the reconstruction will eliminate two level crossings on the busy main line between Amersfoort and Zwolle.

Under a renewal project supported by the Ministry of Infrastructure & Environment, a new underpass for pedestrians, cyclists and car traffic will replace the existing level crossing connecting Stationslaan and Oranjelaan immediately east of the station. A second underpass will replace the Weisteeg crossing to the southwest of the town on the route towards Amersfoort. The existing station building dating from 1983 is to be replaced and the whole station area ‘refreshed’, with better bus interchange facilities, expanded park-and-ride provision and more bicycle parking

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 06:21 PM   #2708
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Some renders of the next Sprinters by CAF:

dimlys1994, VITORIA MAN liked this post
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:07 PM   #2709
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6113

Hate how they had to apply that livery.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:47 PM   #2710

Likes (Received): 1038

Today the NS signed (DUTCH) the contract to buy 58 new FLIRT for sprinter service.

mrsmartman liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #2711
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Riekerpolder - It seems the new connector Schiphol > Sloterdijk is almost ready to be activated and replace the old one:

(11'30")

Any planned date for the swap?

Meanwhile, Duivendrecht (lower) station was modified with new switches to accommodate the four tracks.

(56'10")

Old April 30th, 2015, 01:12 AM   #2712
DingeZ

Likes (Received): 61

The fly-over at Riekerpolder will open in June, not sure which day.

Wilhem275 liked this post
DingeZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #2713
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Which will mean also the 4 tracks all the way to Amsterdam Zuid, right?

I'm curious about the swap of the Schiphol > Sloterdijk track... it's probably a matter of days, maybe it already happened? After that the last part of the original junction will be demolished and works will go on.

Old April 30th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #2714
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Which will mean also the 4 tracks all the way to Amsterdam Zuid, right? I'm curious about the swap of the Schiphol > Sloterdijk track... it's probably a matter of days, maybe it already happened? After that the last part of the original junction will be demolished and works will go on.
somewhere on the NS site you can see the scheduled works, and guess the date of swap.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 05:24 PM   #2715
DingeZ

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Which will mean also the 4 tracks all the way to Amsterdam Zuid, right?

I'm curious about the swap of the Schiphol > Sloterdijk track... it's probably a matter of days, maybe it already happened? After that the last part of the original junction will be demolished and works will go on.

No, June (just checked, June 1st) is the date for just that fly-over. The completion for the quad-tracking to Amsterdam Zuid will take at least until 2016.

Wilhem275 liked this post
DingeZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #2716
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
Today the NS signed (DUTCH) the contract to buy 58 new FLIRT for sprinter service.
Is it a version with or without toilet for passengers?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #2717
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

It will have a wheelchair accessible ballroom toilet.

3737 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #2718
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

The Dutch ministry of infrastructure and environment and the public transport operators are going to change the audible signals of the OV Chipkaart posts: 1 beep for a successful check in, 2 beeps for a successful check out and 3 beeps for an error.
I actually came up with a similar suggestion earlier and I'm really disappointed something like this wasn't thought of and implemented earlier. As if blind people aren't travelling by public transport on their own.
Old May 16th, 2015, 02:47 AM   #2719

Likes (Received): 1038

HSL logistics announced on their Facebookpage that they will reactivate the 1304 and 1315 for active service.
Both engines were build in 1952 and 1953 and will be the oldest active electric engines in the Netherlands due to the fact that the 1200's were deactivated a few months ago.

Link

mrsmartman liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #2720
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Why will they be reactivated?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote