daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #2721
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6152

Aahh childhood memories.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #2722

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Why will they be reactivated?
It is explained in this Dutch rail magazine (PDF).

For non dutch readers it says:
HSL logistics has only 1 locomotive at the moment (Ex NS1832, the checkerboard one).
They were searching for 2 new electric locomotives for the dutch network only due to growing demands.
The Dutch railways don't want to sell any 1800 to third parties no more.
Most of the 1700's (which are on sale) are in a poor condition and they miss vital parts.
Begin this year Werkgroep Loc 1501 (which owns the 1304 and 1315) came in contact with HSL.

The 1300's got their last big overhaul in 1996 and were decommissioned in the year 2000. The 1304 was placed in a shed near Blerick where it still sits as of today.

Link

The 1315 was used till 2009 and in 2013 the 1315 was moved to Horb am Neckar, Germany to the Eisenbahn Erlebniswelt.

Link

Begin April a delegation of HSL went to Horb to inspect the 1315.
The 1315 was a in condition that met above expectations.
The 1315 will be activated first due to its good condition. If the 1315 meets the expectations of HSL the 1304 will be reactivated. The 1304 has some traction problems thus needs to be fixed before it can be activated.
The locomotives will be repainted probably in the brown HSL livery used in Germany.

Link

I personally hope that they will use a color scheme similar to the NS1218 which looks a lot like the old livery only in a different color.

Link

Link

Silly_Walks, dimlys1994 liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #2723
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I saw an horizontal LED panel along the lining of one of Den Bosch station platforms. Apparently it is used to point the position of doors for people waiting the train, as the platforms are quite long (divided in A, B and some trains using central part (A+B)). Is that a pilot program or something we could expect seeing in other stations that have divided platforms such as Amsterdam Centraal or Deventer?

I also used rode some DDZ trains recently (usually, this rolling stock is not used on the services I use on a weekly basis). I noticed the seats are shedding their cover, the fabric fading fast and it looks already worn out (much more than the 2009 VIRM sets). Apparently some toilets are out of commission because the door closing mechanism is not working.

Was this just bad luck or a general problem with these train sets (bad execution quality)?
Old May 20th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #2724
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6074

It's a pilot program. They have installed sensors on the trains to measure how full each carriage is and then they display it on the LED screens so people will know where to line up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyZKx6QGTNY
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #2725
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

It does/did indeed show how full each carriage is, and where the doors will be.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #2726
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
It's a pilot program. They have installed sensors on the trains to measure how full each carriage is and then they display it on the LED screens so people will know where to line up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyZKx6QGTNY
Does this mean all that feedback passengers can give via Reisplaner Xtra app is useless therefore? I always make an effort to click on the smiles and the seat info there
Old May 20th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #2727
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Does this mean all that feedback passengers can give via Reisplaner Xtra app is useless therefore? I always make an effort to click on the smiles and the seat info there
You can stop doing that. Other people's brains are too complex to be read by infrared sensors, however, so they should continue using the Reisplaner Xtra app
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #2728
DingeZ

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
No, that was the previous pilot, which has been cancelled due to costly installation of the sensors.
This time the display only point out the location of the doors, first/second class, silent areas, bike areas, etc. The information just comes from InfoPlus (and can be seen by anyone at sites like these). It is quite likely this will succeed.

Suburbanist liked this post
DingeZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 06:35 PM   #2729
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
What kind of sensors?

I always dreamed of the day when the doors will contain contactless chip scanners and all that hassle with check in or check out or any other sort of tickets would be solved.

Last edited by Surel; May 22nd, 2015 at 02:16 AM. Reason: gr
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 04:10 AM   #2730
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
What kind of sensors?
Infrared.

Surel liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2015, 06:13 PM   #2731
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
What kind of sensors?

I always dreamed of the day when the doors will contain contactless chip scanners and all that hassle with check in or check out or any other sort of tickets would be solved.
That's what the Swiss Railways are working on. In stead of "Check in-Check out" they want a system with "Be in, Be out". It will even detect whether you're travelling first or second class, so you can instantly upgrade if you want...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #2732
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
That's what the Swiss Railways are working on. In stead of "Check in-Check out" they want a system with "Be in, Be out". It will even detect whether you're travelling first or second class, so you can instantly upgrade if you want...
Near-field communication is promising, but the Swiss have been hanging on this idea, since I first read it, for at least 8 years and counting, without a viable scalable solution that would allow them to get rid of 19th century paper technology.

Netherlands did the right thing, using RFID as a system to allow phasing out paper, which was desperately needed. When something else comes, we can upgrade.
Old May 24th, 2015, 08:56 AM   #2733
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Netherlands did the right thing, using RFID as a system to allow phasing out paper, which was desperately needed. When something else comes, we can upgrade.
Except the implementation sucks compared to the Octopus in Hong Kong, and Translink Systems doesn't seem to be too interested in improving it.
Old May 24th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #2734
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I could come up with quite many solutions that would recognize a person entering a vehicle, that would be able to count people onboard etc... But charging them is problematic. You can't do that, I guess, without the wireless chips.

A system that would check the number of passengers on board and compared it to the number of paying passengers would be thus feasible. This would eliminate the need for inspectors and make free riding almost impossible.

The best technology would indeed be combined with a smartphone.

Anyway. I also always dreamt about a Smart ID Card, that would be operated as a sort of smart phone and combine all your cards etc with apps.

Of course, personal security problems arise with such solutions...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 12:58 AM   #2735
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Except the implementation sucks compared to the Octopus in Hong Kong, and Translink Systems doesn't seem to be too interested in improving it.
In all fairness, improvements are being worked on but it goes very slowly.
Old May 25th, 2015, 01:27 AM   #2736
Suburbanist
on the road

There have been several improvements to the OV-Chipkaart systmem since its introduction:

- transfers between operators now don't charge the "instaptarief" twice (note this doesn't apply to NS, since NS doesn't have a "instappentarief")

- there is a simpler process to file "missed check-outs"

- there is an easy 10-sec process to activate the "samenreiskorting" (discount for people travelling together with a pass holder)

- NS machines now accept most foreign cards (huge improvements for occasional user)

- you can check-in on local transit with any balance above zero (instead of above € 4 formerly)

- gates have been installed

Major items on a to-do list regarding the OV-Chipkaart are, in my opinion:

- solving the NS + other train operator transfer issue, eliminating the transfer totems

- allow travel with any balance above € 0,00 on NS as well

- create some automated machines, to be put in airports and other key stations, where people can return anonymous OV-Chipkaarts and get a refund in cash for any low balance (say, below € 15)

EduardSA liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; May 25th, 2015 at 01:37 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #2737
AlexNL

In my opinion gates aren't an improvement
Old May 25th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #2738
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
In my opinion gates aren't an improvement
Let's agree to disagree on that.

---------------------------

I've been surprised to see some VRIM sets used on Sprinter services near my home station (Tilburg Universiteit). That is an enormous improvement over the crappy Plan-V sets used before, so I won't ever complain. Do they have spare VIRM sets for this, though?

Also, while they are nice for sitting, they are not very good for quick boarding, especially the older sets that have a central space reserved for a trolley cart, the SLT are much better with their wider doors and all-flat interior.
Old May 25th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #2739
AlexNL

VIRM is totally unsuited for Sprinter services as they accelerate way too slowly, and as a consequence they're having a hard time keeping to the timetable. These services are usually worked by SLT, SGM or Plan V sets because of their characteristics, but it sometimes happens that such a set is unavailable (e.g. due to a defect) while a VIRM set is standing idle in a yard, so then NS transport control opts to use the VIRM instead.

It's better to have a train running late by a few minutes than not having a train running at all.
Old May 26th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #2740
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

The problem with VIRM is its bad power to weight ratio coupled with to few powered axles. Only 2 axles per 2 coaches are powered. When you start coupling sets it gets even worse, because total power of the consist is limited because of overhead wire limitations.
The overhead wire system limitation is really starting to be problem, which is why they are considering a change to either 3kVDC or 25kVAC. Unfortunately 3kV is the main candidate at the moment, not because it's better, only because it's cheaper.