daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 06:19 PM   #3041
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6113

*reconfigured
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2015, 07:16 PM   #3042
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

None of the major recent stations projects, except Breda, had office or hotel or other third-use major building attached to the station itself, over tracks, had it?

Utrecht, Den Haag and some others did have whole integrated commercial structures.

Is there a reason for the station developers to have abandoned the strategy?
Old November 23rd, 2015, 07:30 PM   #3043
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

It comes down to a matter of preference and available space. In Breda, there was plenty of space while the immediate vicinity of the station was lacking on some features (such as office space, or homes) so they integrated all that into one building.
Old November 24th, 2015, 02:20 AM   #3044
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Inside Den Haag CS will they ever complete the cladding on the border of the elevated tram deck? I never understood if it was left open intentionally for the works or if they consider it complete (to me, it's not).

I understand they must leave the empty sectors for rail overhead wires, but the border should have a continuous surface on all its lenght!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Not true. You would need a much longer viaduct to be able to cross all of the tracks. Also the design would have to be altered, since the bus platform is off-center compared to the station shed. But I don't really see the point of moving it anyway, considering the time gain is minimal.
Well, I wouldn't call it minimal.
Map in hand, if I reach the station from Turfmarkt (which today is its main access) I have to walk a good 250 m before reaching the tail of the train,
which is not exactly a short distance for an interchange, and crossing the path of anyone in the station.

The new terminal adds 50 meters to that, plus 2 floors of stairs/escalators, that's not really a practical interchange IMHO.

We are into the hypotheses now, but this is why I would have shifted it to the west side.
Another reason is to obtain a very compact OV interchange (metro+tram high+tram low+bus) facing the city,
in a corner not bothering the path of rail passengers.

About the building costs, for the current viaduct I calculate a lenght of approx. 330 m.
Keeping the same starting point (when the new embankment ends), then taking a bend to cross over the rail tracks,
and then terminating over the bike shed, it is just 30 meters longer (I believed more!).
All the pillars fall into the platforms area, so it's not hard to make room for them.

Just a stub:

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

EMArg liked this post

Last edited by Wilhem275; November 24th, 2015 at 02:38 AM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #3045
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Inside Den Haag CS will they ever complete the cladding on the border of the elevated tram deck? I never understood if it was left open intentionally for the works or if they consider it complete (to me, it's not).

I understand they must leave the empty sectors for rail overhead wires, but the border should have a continuous surface on all its lenght!
It's finished. The idea of it is that they only cover the sections over the platforms; not the sections over the rails. It's a design feature.

Not the most graceful solution perhaps, but it's the least of this station's problems.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #3046
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

They would lose quite a lot of light if they covered it.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #3047
Wilhem275
The Transporter

A quick and -very- dirty edit (I'm a total noob at photoediting):

I don't think light is a big deal there. Most of daylight comes from the southern facade and that side would remain open (overhead wires), and there are many point of lights under the tram deck, switched on during the day as well.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Aumgn, Agnette, AlexNL, Silly_Walks, da_scotty and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by Wilhem275; November 26th, 2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old November 27th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #3048
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

I don't like it, sorry. It's too bulky.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 08:07 PM   #3049
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Since when was inter-city bus travel allowed in the Netherlands? Flixbus/Meinfernbus have started a network of domestic services within the Netherlands. Until now, only international services and services to airports were allowed.

Routes include:

Rotterdam - 's-Hertogenbosch
Rotterdam - Nijmegen
Groningen - Haren - Hengelo - Enschede
Enschede - Hengelo - Eindhoven
Groningen - Haren - Apeldoorn - Eindhoven
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 09:29 PM   #3050
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6113

It's only allowed on stretches where it isn't "directly competing" with train routes.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:26 PM   #3051
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
It's only allowed on stretches where it isn't "directly competing" with train routes.
I presume you mean where the train requires a change? Compared to other countries, in the Netherlands connections are planned carefully and it is assumed you will make connections to make a journey.

Are buses allowed to run between Amsterdam city centre and Groningen or Leeuwarden? There are no direct trains from Amsterdam Centraal to Groningen/Leeuwarden for most of the day, although there are from Amsterdam Zuid.

Also, could this force NS to create regular direct connections on routes that don't currently have them, so that buses are "banned", even if it ruins the integrity of the timetable?
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:41 PM   #3052

Likes (Received): 1038

Today the first Flirt-3 arrived in the Netherlands.
This particular train will only be used for Alphen - Gouda, it will also be the only type to date to use the RNET livery instead of the NS or Albelio livery.

Link
Old December 3rd, 2015, 11:48 PM   #3053
AlexNL

Quote:
That has got nothing to do with it, actually.

Under Dutch law, public transport can only be operated if a concession has been granted for this. On the main railway network (Hoofdrailnet) this concession has been given to NS. The various provinces have in turn given concession for non-rail transport in their areas.

The concessionaire has a monopoly on providing public transport in the area - a different company is not allowed to set up a competing service. Dutch law does allow an exception to be made if a request comes in, and this is what Flixbus has done for the various routes.

As the new intercity bus routes do not compete against a single concession, the provinces agreed to provide this exception. After all, it is not costing them a single penny but it does enhance the public transport offering.

radamfi, Klausenburg liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #3054
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

I love those Stadtler trains with the RNET livery. On what other Randstad routes might we expect to see RNET trains do you think?

If you'd asked me ten years ago, I would have said The Hague - Zoetermeer and Rotterdam - Hoek van Holland but both those lines are obviously out of contention now.
Old December 4th, 2015, 12:43 PM   #3055
AlexNL

They will go to Gouda - Alphen a/d Rijn.
Old December 6th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #3056
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63141

After years of construction the new station building for Arnhem opened a couple of weeks ago. At the opening the station was rebranded from just Arnhem to Arnhem Centraal. Making it the 6th Central station in the Netherlands, and the 1st outside of the Randstad area in western Netherlands.

The new station was designed by Ben van Berkel from UNStudio.

IMG_4347 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4329 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4319 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4398 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4422 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4428 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4443 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4451 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4466 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4488 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4493 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4512 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4534 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4551 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4555 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4562 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4591 by Momo1435, on Flickr

IMG_4640 by Momo1435, on Flickr
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #3057
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. One of the best works I've seen on a modern station, if not the best.

Old December 6th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #3058
Suburbanist
on the road

Nice station, my only complain is that the platform canopies could extend some more on each side.

Let's now wait for the final results in Breda, which I'd thought would be fully completed before Arnhem.
Old December 12th, 2015, 05:58 AM   #3059
Suburbanist
on the road

Tilburg station

Renovation works keep advancing in Tilburg

The main concourse will also be an important pedestrian link between both sides of the city, the north side used to have a huge depot and workshop for ProRail, they demolished it and will build houses. I'm not a big fan of station concourses doubling as regular pedestrian routes.

Still, a massive improve over the previous situation with tight spaces and just 2 escalators and 2 tight stairs.

Slagathor liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #3060
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post

IMG_4640 by Momo1435, on Flickr
This picture shows a few things that in my opionion are horribly wrong with the OV Chipcard: You have to make sure you enter/exit through the correct gates, there are some extra poles who's purpose is not exactly clear. Big fail in my opinion.

suasion, Wilhem275 liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote