daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #3081
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6073

Leave it to an internet forum to overdramatize everything.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #3082
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Call it an overdramatization, but it is the truth.

When the first ticket gates were delivered to NS, none of them had a scanner for QR-codes. The gates would only open if presented with an OV-chipkaart, something which is not the case for international tickets. It was not until a few years later that they started to implement the QR code readers. On international stations all gates will be equipped with these scanners, on other stations just a few.

To make things even more funny: even gates that are delivered today are fitted with the plain-and-simple RFID reader, the QR code scanners are retrofitted onto them once the gates have been installed. Talk about a waste of money...

suasion liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #3083
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

A train driver's view: Hoorn - Hoofddorp, SLT, 31-Dec-2015.

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 10:43 PM   #3084
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

For the people interested in what a Dutch driver actually sees and does there is also the Real Train Driver's View channel, of which this clip is an example:

Wilhem275 liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #3085
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

I get daily updates from all these channels

Real Train Driver's View Dutch Railways

Eposis Brax

Cabview Holland, with its related channels:
- Hispeed Holland dedicated to timelapse videos
- Trains in Holland for cab view compilations

meesterpaul2

1972Bertus01

If you have any other... it's one of the most interesting networks in Europe today. Its only defect is that traffic tends to be very repetitive (little or no freight traffic north of Rotterdam).

The latest parallel runs compilation from Trains in Holland (God bless 4 tracks railways):

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 12:21 AM   #3086
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

I was in NL yesterday and I had my ticket checked by Ipsos doing a survey. They just scanned people's OV-Chipkaarten. What's the point of that? What information will they get that isn't available by analysing check in/check out data, or from scanning done by conductors?

Also, what's with pianos at rail stations?
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 12:32 AM   #3087
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

I always refuse to let them check mine, I fail to see how a system that records every single journey everybody makes requires an extra layer of nosiness. Frequently a ticket checker arrives a few minutes later

For people to play

In central station there frequently is somebody who can actually play piano using it, although I can imagine the standard slips later at night.

Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #3088
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The OV chipkaart data gives information about how many people travel on a given route, but not about how many people travel on a specific train. For example, as part of my commute I go from Den Haag HS to Breda. Sometimes I take the direct intercity, but there are plenty of times where I take a train to Rotterdam and change onto the Intercity direct there.

If I arrive at Den Haag HS at x:32, the first trains bound for Rotterdam are the x:34 IC and sprinter trains. I could take both of them and change in Rotterdam, still arriving in Breda at the same time. The OV-chipkaart data alone is not fine-grained enough to be able to determine which train I used to get from Den Haag to Rotterdam.

There is even a 3rd option, which is what I usually do: the x:43 Beneluxtrein. This train provides a cross-platform connection in Rotterdam, and remains in the station long enough so that I can (usually) remain seated until the ICd arrives.
Old January 14th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #3089
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
The OV chipkaart data gives information about how many people travel on a given route, but not about how many people travel on a specific train.
But don't you get that information from when the conductor scans your card?
Old January 14th, 2016, 11:03 AM   #3090
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Alex, shut up! NS will hear you and create an extra fee for usage of seats on trains waiting for departure...

OT: it's one year now since I got back home. I left NL with contrasted sentiments, but now I miss the place a lot...

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old January 14th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #3091
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6142

I feel that way about Italy. I like how you and I balance each other out in the greater scheme of things.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 01:27 PM   #3092
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
But don't you get that information from when the conductor scans your card?
The emphasis is on the when. From personal experience I can tell you that that doesn't happen often enough to provide usable statistics.

I think every train should be fitted with sensors to count the number of boarding and alighting passengers. As far as I know the Swiss have already done so.
Old January 15th, 2016, 03:06 AM   #3093
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

Ticket checkers appear far more frequently than surveyors, so I fail to see how they have a better sampling rate.
As somebody who works with Data, I can tell you there is such a thing as too much data and overanalysis. We never record at anything approaching our potential sampling rate, besides slowing down processing, it requires so much filtering that we are left with the same accuracy anyway.

It should be enough for NS to know that x number of people traelled from a to b at time t. Should they need to know more I'm certain there are any number of alogrithims they could run to adequetely predict peoples behaviour when there are options available or a simple loadmeter in the suspension of each train should give an reasonable idea of the passenger loads.

Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #3094
Boppard

Likes (Received): 111

I traveld in the Netherlands by train. Very good quality with logical prices. Also clean and functional stations. But I love especially Amsterdam central.
Boppard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 06:42 PM   #3095
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
It should be enough for NS to know that x number of people traelled from a to b at time t.
This is the exact reason we're stuck with the OV-chipkaart, because that wasn't enough and they also wanted to know exactly who travelled from a to b at time t. (With an anonymous card they may not exactly know the persons name, but they can still analyse his or hers travel habits)
Old January 18th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #3096
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
This is the exact reason we're stuck with the OV-chipkaart, because that wasn't enough and they also wanted to know exactly who travelled from a to b at time t. (With an anonymous card they may not exactly know the persons name, but they can still analyse his or hers travel habits)
But not only for capacity reasons, but also revenue sharing. If I read it right, GVB and RET, particularly, were bitter that the revenue-sharing models gave them the short stick, in favor of other operators, NS, medium-distance bus companies.

And right they were: the got a lot more money once real-travel data came in. It is not that the bus concessions got it that bad either, given the nature of their contracts: local metropolitan fares were raised instead (the €/km fare) to make up for lost revenue.

If not for this secondary effect of OV-chipkaart adoption, we'd have seen noticeable non-minor service cuts on RET, HTM and GVB services, including halving the frequency of certain tram lines outside peak hours... something taht would significantly impact the quality of public transportation in these areas.
Old January 18th, 2016, 11:27 PM   #3097

Likes (Received): 1034

Wikipedia shows the first picture of the new NS Flirt

BriedisUnIzlietne, Slagathor liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:57 AM   #3098
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Fortunately they came to their senses, so there are driver cabin doors on this one (which the R-Net FLIRT lacks).
Old January 20th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #3099
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
NS shortlists four bidders for intercity EMU contract
by Keith Barrow

Quintus Vosman

NETHERLANDS Railways (NS) confirmed on January 19 that four suppliers have been shortlisted for the final stage of the tender for a contract to supply a new fleet of 200km/h EMUs under its Next Generation Intercity (ICNG) programme.

Alstom, Bombardier, Siemens, and Stadler have been invited to submit bids in the best and final offer stage of the competition and NS says it expects to award the contract this summer. The trains are due to enter service from 2021 onwards.

The tender, which was published in July 2014, calls for a modular train which can be supplied in 80m, 110m, and 160m-long formations. The dual voltage (1.5kV dc and 25kV ac) EMUs will be equipped with the standard Dutch ATB train protection system and ETCS for operation on HSL South, where they will replace the class 186 Traxx locomotives and ICRm coaches currently used on Intercity Direct services from Amsterdam to Rotterdam and Breda.

NS has not publically disclosed how many sets will be ordered, but says the base order must provide around 25,000 new seats, with options for additional trains. According to the tender document, the fleet could provide up to 80,000 seats by 2030.

The ICNG procurement is an important element of NS' High Frequency Rail Programme and for the integrating the operation of HSL South into the main network following the collapse of Fyra.
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...y+EMU+contract

Old January 20th, 2016, 02:33 PM   #3100
radamfi

I have noticed the minimum top-up has gone up from 4 euros to 5 euros, but you can top-up less to the nearest multiple of 5 euros. Is this a new feature? I don't remember seeing that before. For example if you have 19.68 on your card, you can top up to 20.00 by adding just 0.32.

This may already be common knowledge, but in certain circumstances you can get a few cents of free credit, as long as you top-up with cash. Because cash payments are rounded to the nearest 0.05, the machines only ask for top-ups in multiples of 0.05. So in the above case, you only have to top-up by 0.30 and your card still gets topped up by 0.32, so getting 0.02 extra credit.