daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2016, 02:56 PM   #3101
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

The Spoorkart 2016 from Treinreiziger.nl is available (probably it's been for a good month now): http://www.spoorkaart2016.nl/downloa..._2016_opA4.pdf

I compared it with 2015's and not a lot appears to have changed:
1) A few stations getting new names:
- Schiphol to Schiphol Airport
- Arnehm to Arnhem Centraal
- Eindhoven Beukenlaan to Eindhoven Strijp-S

2) Intercity Direct doubles its offer between Amsterdam CS and Rotterdam CS, from 2 to 4 tph (still 2 to Breda)

3) the semi-direct Hoorn - Haarlem service is replaced by a Sprinter plus a direct from Alkmaar serving rush hour flows (similar to what happened to the Hoorn - Amsterdam in 2015)

4) probably the biggest change, all Sprinter services on the Woerden and Geldermalsen lines are now run as through services, meaning that Utrecht finally gets its through S-Bahn.
Woerden - Den Bosch - Breda every 30' + Den Haag CS - Gouda - Tiel every 30' giving a solid Woerden - Geldermalsen service every 15'.

Although NS site is not quite clear about this: it says that all these connections require to change in Utrecht CS in 2-3' and at the same track... which leads me to think that they're actually the same trains continuing their rides

The poor Utrecht Leidsche Rijn, child of a minor god, is still skipped by half services

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:45 PM   #3102
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

In 2010 (I guess, maybe I'm wrong) the Stoptrein Breda-Utrecht was actually shown as Breda-'s Hertogenbosch and 's-Hertogenbosch-Utrecht C. separately
Old January 22nd, 2016, 01:19 AM   #3103
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Looking from a working timetable point of view, the Woerden - Utrecht - Breda service consists of three separate trains that have been joined together. Woerden - Utrecht runs under the 61xx train number, Utrecht - Den Bosch as 160xx and Den Bosch - Breda as 136xx.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 03:21 AM   #3104
Suburbanist
on the road

I noticed on that map station Geeerdijk will finally close in April. IIRC, it serves less tha 60 passengers per day.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 03:41 AM   #3105
AlexNL

Speaking of Geerdijk, a while ago a group of people managed to troll infrastructure manager ProRail. They posted something about the Monopoly game and asked people what they thought was the best looking station of the Netherlands. The most popular station would feature as their cover photo for a week.

So people started responding, and Geerdijk won. ProRail kept to their promise.

BriedisUnIzlietne, suasion liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 01:49 AM   #3106
NS162

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
The Spoorkart 2016 from Treinreiziger.nl is available (probably it's been for a good month now): http://www.spoorkaart2016.nl/downloa..._2016_opA4.pdf

I compared it with 2015's and not a lot appears to have changed:
1) A few stations getting new names:
- Schiphol to Schiphol Airport
- Arnehm to Arnhem Centraal
- Eindhoven Beukenlaan to Eindhoven Strijp-S
You have missed 4:
- Dronrijp went to Dronryp (yess, only change is an 'ij' to an 'y' but with an 'y' it is in Frisian language....)
- Veenwouden went to Feanwâlden (yess again from Dutch to Frisian)
- Zwaagwesteinde went to "De Westereen" as the village has gone from self-organised into a greater, with other villages around it
- Enschede Drienerlo went to Enschede Kennispark

The change at Arnhem will not take place now, but in a few months time as the only than they will change the signs on the platforms. The indicator boxes above the platforms still showing "Arnhem"...

Greetings,
Raymond v/d Hoven, Utrecht, the Netherlands

Wilhem275 liked this post

Last edited by NS162; January 29th, 2016 at 03:04 PM.
NS162 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #3107
Wilhem275
The Transporter

And the poor Geerdijk shutting down on 30/04/2016...

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old January 24th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #3108
DarkLoki

Likes (Received): 41

The change from Feanwalden to Feanwâlden is planned for next year?
DarkLoki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #3109
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

One thing that stunned me recently was that Veolia have 3+2 seating! I can expect it on old trains, but not on something as modern as that! Was that demanded by the province(s)?

suasion liked this post
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #3110
AlexNL

I'm not sure. I guess it has to do with high demand + short platforms + infrastructure limitations.
Old January 28th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #3111
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Operator NS presented its study for the 2017 timetable: http://bit.ly/1NCRz2C
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 10:53 AM   #3112
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
Operator NS presented its study for the 2017 timetable: http://bit.ly/1NCRz2C
Is there anything worth reading on the diagram, that isn't in the accompanying text? I can't read the text on the diagram even in the "high res" mode.
Old January 29th, 2016, 11:44 AM   #3113
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
Is there anything worth reading on the diagram, that isn't in the accompanying text? I can't read the text on the diagram even in the "high res" mode.
http://nieuws.ns.nl/download/142193/...3E%3Cbr%20/%3E <- Full Resolution!

radamfi liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:15 PM   #3114
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Here's the complete plan:
http://www.locov.nl/Images/Locov%202...311-372113.pdf

I see several "long distance Sprinters" are being cut into shorter services:
- Den Haag CS - Roosendaal/Breda terminating in Dordrecht
- Utrecht CS - Breda cut in Den Bosch

Parts of them then are combined to form a Dordrecht - Breda - Tilburg - Den Bosch independent service.
This goes into the direction of creating more definite and strong S-Bahn services through main cities, like S-Bahn Rotterdam, S-Bahn Utrecht, S-Bahn Brabant (sort of...).
It might be possible to -finally- draw a consistent and numbered Sprinter network (S1, S2...).

I see some changes in the Rotterdam/Breda area, concerning the IC Brussel and the usage of HSL Zuid, but apart from this I don't see massive differences.
I was expecting more news about the SAAL-axis.

radamfi liked this post
Old January 29th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #3115
Suburbanist
on the road

Reason they are cutting the sprinter Breda-Utrecht is probably to allow for timed connections in 's-Hertogenbosch, putting some Intercity train between arrival from Tilburg and departure for Utrecht and vice-versa, since Intercity trains cannot overtake Sprinters up and until Geldermalsen I think.

Dordrecht is also served by those Amsterdam-Haarlem-Rotterdam-Breda trains, will they continue to Dordrecht only? If so, the loss of the Breda-Dordrecht Intercity is not really a problem, there aren't many station on the Sprinter route there (Prinsenbeek, Lage Zwaluwe and Dordrecht Zuid). It might be a bit of a loss but then Breda will have 4 trains per hour to Rotterdam Centraal via the high speed line with no supplement to be paid.

Now something is not clear to me entirely: with the new schedule, what will happen with traffic to/from Belgium? For sure the Thalys trains are staying. Will they have Den Haag C.-Rotterdam-Breda-Antwerpen C.-Mechelen-Aeroport Nationale-Bruxelles C.-Bruxelles Midi?

Or will train still depart from Amsterdam?
Old January 29th, 2016, 02:01 PM   #3116
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
This goes into the direction of creating more definite and strong S-Bahn services through main cities, like S-Bahn Rotterdam, S-Bahn Utrecht, S-Bahn Brabant (sort of...).
S-Bahn is a term introduced for services on separated tracks. This is not the case in the Netherlands, though.
Old January 29th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #3117
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Well, in its original Berliner meaning. Today in Germany there are several cases of so called S-Bahn systems operating on mainline tracks (at least for branches outside dense centers).
Today it's a generic term for suburban services, in general it identifies fixed routes serving all stops every 30' or less.

In terms of infrastructure, parts of the Dutch 4-tracks network are also designed to be used in a separate setting:
- Woerden - Utrecht (Sprinters on outside tracks)
- Amsterdam - Utrecht - Houten (inside tracks)
- Rotterdam - Dordrecth (inside tracks)
- the first part of the Utrecht - Amersfoort line (mostly separate)

The Gaasperdammerweg - Weesp stretch was designed as a local-express system but I see that today it's mostly used as a mixed. Delft - Leiden appears to be purely a mixed setting.

Speaking of services this distinction is not really relevant, the important action would be to give univocal names and a consistent information (like uniform coding in the station).

It's weird because many places are struggling to create their own 30'-suburban network even with poor resources, while the Netherlands are already running a very wide one... undercover

Old January 29th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #3118
Suburbanist
on the road

Speaking of 30-min frequencies, are Hoek van Holland Strand and Lage Zwaulwe the only stations on the electrified NS network that don't have at least 30 trains per direction during weekdays?
Old January 29th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #3119
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
I was expecting more news about the SAAL-axis.
The map says only 'more trains via A'dam Zuid' and 6 minutes shorter connections on the axis via Flevoland.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #3120
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Now something is not clear to me entirely: with the new schedule, what will happen with traffic to/from Belgium? For sure the Thalys trains are staying. Will they have Den Haag C.-Rotterdam-Breda-Antwerpen C.-Mechelen-Aeroport Nationale-Bruxelles C.-Bruxelles Midi?

Or will train still depart from Amsterdam?
The map says

"Intercity Amsterdam - Brussel
Rijdt via Breda"

This map from 2014 shows stops at Antwerpen Centraal, Mechelen, Brussels Airport and Brussel Centraal:

http://www.treinreiziger.nl/actueel/...brussel-145639

I can't see anything in the detailed pdf or the new map to contradict what was predicted in 2014, and even Eurostar is mentioned at the end of the pdf. Although it says:

"NS en IenM zijn momenteel nog in gesprek over de precieze dienstregelingsuitwerking van de Intercity Brussel. Nadere informatie volgt separaat."