daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:38 PM   #3201
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

At the beginning of XX century there weren't many options. One was DC electrification, the other low frequency AC.

At that time AC monophase motors produced too many sparks on the collector (a part of electric motors) if working on high frequency, and so needed a low frequency to work. That's why they choose 16 2/3 Hz, which is exactly 1/3 of 50 Hz, the frequency of the main network (in Europe, a great part of the world uses 60 Hz).

Converting frequency is not easy, so the first way was simply putting a 50 Hz motor mechanically coupled to a generator with 3 times less poles, which gave 50 / 3 = 16,666666...Hz (+/- a tolerance).

While this anormal frequency required a separate supply network, it had other advantages over DC. Some countries though the other way round (like Italy which choose 3 kV DC), deciding that the advantages of DC were higher than its disadvantages. While in the 1920s both systems where roughly on the same level, today it is clear that AC systems are better (even at 16,7 Hz).

A wide range of frequencies have been tried, both on railway traction and industrial networks, but today the only frequencies used on large networks are 50 and 60 Hz for much of the world's main electrical network, 16,7 Hz for railways mainly in German-speaking and Scandinavian countries, and 25 Hz on the Northeast Corridor in the USA.

Note that 16 2/3 and 16,7 Hz are not the same thing, the explanation can certainly be found also in English (here in Italian: http://www.sguggiari.ch/3_16_2_3_Hz_o_16_7_Hz.php).

From a performance point of view, 25 kV 50 Hz, 25 kV 60 Hz and 15 kV 16,7 Hz (and the 12 kV 25 Hz on the Northeast Corridor) are roughly equal, so there is no need to covert 16,7 Hz network to 50 Hz, because there is already a fully functional 16,7 Hz production and distribution infrastructure. That's different for new rail electrifications, which use either 50 or 60 Hz depending of the main industrial network of the region.

Maybe it would be practical to standardize the electric network of the Northeast Corridor (and its branches), as it is relatively short and electrified with three different currents (25 kV 60 Hz, 12.5 kV 60 Hz, 12 kV 25 Hz).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2016, 06:11 AM   #3202
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
At the beginning of XX century there weren't many options. One was DC electrification, the other low frequency AC.

At that time AC monophase motors produced too many sparks on the collector (a part of electric motors) if working on high frequency, and so needed a low frequency to work. That's why they choose 16 2/3 Hz, which is exactly 1/3 of 50 Hz, the frequency of the main network (in Europe, a great part of the world uses 60 Hz).

Converting frequency is not easy, so the first way was simply putting a 50 Hz motor mechanically coupled to a generator with 3 times less poles, which gave 50 / 3 = 16,666666...Hz (+/- a tolerance).

While this anormal frequency required a separate supply network, it had other advantages over DC. Some countries though the other way round (like Italy which choose 3 kV DC), deciding that the advantages of DC were higher than its disadvantages. While in the 1920s both systems where roughly on the same level, today it is clear that AC systems are better (even at 16,7 Hz).

A wide range of frequencies have been tried, both on railway traction and industrial networks, but today the only frequencies used on large networks are 50 and 60 Hz for much of the world's main electrical network, 16,7 Hz for railways mainly in German-speaking and Scandinavian countries, and 25 Hz on the Northeast Corridor in the USA.

Note that 16 2/3 and 16,7 Hz are not the same thing, the explanation can certainly be found also in English (here in Italian: http://www.sguggiari.ch/3_16_2_3_Hz_o_16_7_Hz.php).

From a performance point of view, 25 kV 50 Hz, 25 kV 60 Hz and 15 kV 16,7 Hz (and the 12 kV 25 Hz on the Northeast Corridor) are roughly equal, so there is no need to covert 16,7 Hz network to 50 Hz, because there is already a fully functional 16,7 Hz production and distribution infrastructure. That's different for new rail electrifications, which use either 50 or 60 Hz depending of the main industrial network of the region.

Maybe it would be practical to standardize the electric network of the Northeast Corridor (and its branches), as it is relatively short and electrified with three different currents (25 kV 60 Hz, 12.5 kV 60 Hz, 12 kV 25 Hz).
I'll note that the electrical network south of New York is obsolete for a secondary reason -- the catenary is variable-tension. When it was first installed in the 1930s there was no clear superiority (and few trains went faster than 100 mph anyhow); nowadays, constant-tension catenary is needed if trains are ever to go faster than 110 mph south of New York.

Converting the NEC to a single catenary standard (and applying it to the rest of the country) is undoubtedly a massive benefit, one helped along by the ex-PRR electrical network being undermaintained and obsolete in its physical plant; a major issue that Europe's multiple nets of incompatible legacy networks incurs is the need to install multiple sets of power collection equipment in international trains, thereby making them heavier. But of course the European railroad power nets are also much better maintained.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 09:38 AM   #3203
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
There is one 'small' point though. Power frequency is one of the main parameters determining transformer size. The higher the frequency the smaller the transformer can be. There is table on page 3 of this article. It roughly states that a 16,7Hz transformer is about 3% less efficient (that's a lot of extra heat!) and also about twice as heavy as a 50 Hz transformer. ABBs solution is interesting though: rectify the high voltage, invert it to a high frequency of 5 kHz to 10 kHz, then send it through a transformer and then rectify again for the inverters driving the motors. Despite all the extra components efficiency is said to be over 99%, irregardless of the power frequency.

Coccodrillo liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:12 AM   #3204
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
You don't need to replace traction motors.
Unfortunately you do, because of insulation. If used under 3 kV, motors have
to be insulated for 3 kV, including the wires in the motor coils. The fact that they are used two in series doesn't change anything. Not doing it would be a major security hazard. So yes you might keep them, but then you need to
rewire them completely, which would probably be more expensive than
purchasing anew.

Quote:
and the majority of the power electronics don't need to be changed either
3 cases to consider :
- old equipment still using resistor sets : to be completely changed because of insulation reasons, like said above. But I suppose you don't have so much of
that anymore...

- DC serial motors with choppers : that I suppose you still have a lot of. Has to be completely renew because the thyristor chains have now to withstand a voltage of 3 kV rather than 1500 (but only half the current, so you need more in series and less in parallel)

3 phases motors : there you have more chances to be able to re-use most of the components, indeed.

Quote:
Most modern trains, regardless AC or DC, except for some 1.5 kV DCs, are essentially running on about 3 kV DC. The AC models have an additional transformer and rectifier to produce that DC voltage.
For that I would like to know your source because as far as I know,
the "internal power bus" of a multivoltage train is usually 1500V, not 3000.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:14 AM   #3205
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
ABBs solution is interesting though: rectify the high voltage, invert it to a high frequency of 5 kHz to 10 kHz, then send it through a transformer and then rectify again for the inverters driving the motors. Despite all the extra components efficiency is said to be over 99%, irregardless of the power frequency.
This is basically the same way as all those universal wall warts that charge our mobile phones, and tons of other devices work, but scaled up. A nice thing of this ABB system is that this in fact gives you an universal power supply for locomotives. So your train can run on any DC or AC voltage...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:16 AM   #3206
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Actually the way most railways solved this is by just having their own power stations. SBB produces almost all its electricity itself.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:39 AM   #3207
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Unfortunately you do, because of insulation. If used under 3 kV, motors have to be insulated for 3 kV, including the wires in the motor coils.
That would be true if the motors were exposed to 3kV. They aren't, because when you add a DC-DC 'tranformer' that produces 1.5 kV for the rest of the train nothing changes. It is a stop gap measure though. Completely changing the train for 3 kV would be preferable.

Quote:
The baureihe 145/146 have an intermediate DC circuit voltage of up to 2800V for instance. If you take a look at the electric schematic of the Taurus 1216 you see that in DC mode the overhead line is connected directly to the intermediate circuit. Both can be found at drehstromloks.de.
This wikipedia article states 'The N700 Shinkansen uses a three-level converter to convert 25 kV single-phase AC to 1,520 V AC (via transformer) to 3,000 V DC (via phase-controlled rectifier with thyristor) to a maximum 2,300 V three-phase AC (via a variable voltage, variable frequency inverter using IGBTs with pulse-width modulation) to run the motors.'
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:02 AM   #3208
DingeZ

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Unfortunately you do, because of insulation. If used under 3 kV, motors have
to be insulated for 3 kV, including the wires in the motor coils. The fact that they are used two in series doesn't change anything. Not doing it would be a major security hazard. So yes you might keep them, but then you need to
rewire them completely, which would probably be more expensive than
purchasing anew.

3 cases to consider :
- old equipment still using resistor sets : to be completely changed because of insulation reasons, like said above. But I suppose you don't have so much of
that anymore...

- DC serial motors with choppers : that I suppose you still have a lot of. Has to be completely renew because the thyristor chains have now to withstand a voltage of 3 kV rather than 1500 (but only half the current, so you need more in series and less in parallel)

3 phases motors : there you have more chances to be able to re-use most of the components, indeed.

Let's see.
Resistor sets: Mat 64' (withdrawal planned next month), first 50 sets of ICM (withdrawal around 2022-2025)
Choppers: SGM (withdrawal planned 2018/2019), other 94 sets of ICM, built between 1987 and 1993

The rest is all three-phase.
DingeZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #3209
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62990

DDZ/NID in The Hague

IMG_8837 by Momo1435, on Flickr

Slagathor, EceB, mrsmartman liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #3210
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Weirdest train even, undoubtably (but also exceptionally comfortable)

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2016, 11:11 PM   #3211
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

I like them as they are very comfortable, there are only a few downsides;
- really really small trash cans
- seat trays are kind of far away from the seat (akward to work on a laptop)
- very bright light

Plus:
- smooth
- lovely chairs
- design elements
- wide doors/stairs
Old March 28th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #3212
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

I really like the corner couches in these units.

I hate the fact that there is no positive lock when the door is closed or open, it just wildly swings about instead, really dangerous when people let go of them and the following person is unaware that it is going to swing into their face.

Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:18 PM   #3213
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

I like the trains, but they have some construction problems, minor things like seats some seats that are wearing off too soon, or toilette doors that are misaligned etc.
Old March 29th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #3214

Likes (Received): 1036

The first 3 Flirtīs arrived in Maastricht today.

https://www.facebook.com/NedTrain/ph...type=3&theater

3 generations.

Link

The new flirtīs got a revised livery around the doors.

Link

Also SLT will be refurbished (dutch) in 2017

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 12:31 AM   #3215

Today the first NS Flirt made its first testdrive on Dutch soil.

Link

Also it looks like it won't take long for we see the first refurbished VIRM for a testdrive.
Here is VIRMm with a part of it's new livery and with the new European door livery guidelines which are also shown on the new NS Flirt.

Link

BriedisUnIzlietne, Wilhem275, 8166UY liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2016, 02:51 AM   #3216
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I saw also pictures of a R-Net Flirt, are they in test as well?

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:20 AM   #3217
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Yeah, those have been running past HS and Laan van NOI. If you'd still been living here, you'd have seen them.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:31 AM   #3218
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The R-Net FLIRT has been making test runs for a few months now, they'll be entering service this december. The NS FLIRTs will probably see an earlier debut into service, as they are needed very quickly.

Wilhem275 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 03:16 AM   #3219
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Is there any substantial difference between the two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Yeah, those have been running past HS and Laan van NOI. If you'd still been living here, you'd have seen them.
Damn, the guy who got my room didn't have my same idea to put a webcam out of the window... I had the best view on the line

Slagathor liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2016, 03:26 AM   #3220

The only differences I could find is that they are shorter and don't have a cabin door.

HaRkY1 liked this post