daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #3241
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Why can't they change that to starting the door closing procedure at the scheduled departure time?
Because you'll then have people complaining that the guard closed the doors on them, just as they were preparing to board the train.

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2016, 08:54 PM   #3242
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

It just doesn't make sense to me that you can't board a train exactly up to the scheduled departure time. It's exactly what happened prior to the current procedure: when the station clock reached the scheduled time, the conductor blew his whistle, closed the doors, the train departed, about 20 seconds after the minute, during which the conductor from the still opened door checked if nothing out of the ordinary happened and finally closed his door.

Anyway, again I also like the Japanese procedure here: Over there the guard is either in the rear driver cab or in a special guards room somewhere in the middle of the train. All passenger doors are closed before the train moves, but as long as the train is along side the platform the guard looks along the train for any problems.

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:25 AM   #3243
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6142

This is some grade-A nitpicking I have to say.

CadÓr, Robi_damian liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 04:54 PM   #3244
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

An article (in Dutch) from a fellow nitpicker.
Old June 20th, 2016, 09:27 AM   #3245
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

Breda new station

Has something gone wrong with the whole Breda renovation project? By wrong I mean redesign in t he middle of construction, trimming down of feather due to increased costs, geological problems...

Of all major reconstruction projects (arnhem, Rotterdam, etc) I find Breda the likelier candidate to age the worst .

The shed is barely 3 years there and it has stains all over. Also, it leaks under moderate rain onto the platforms.

The underground retail area and passageway roof on the contrary is too short and it makes the place feel cramped.

They put diesel buses within the same shed of trains, without the physical separation we see in Amsterdam C. and apparently no special exhausting system either
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:09 AM   #3246
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Has something gone wrong with the whole Breda renovation project? By wrong I mean redesign in t he middle of construction, trimming down of feather due to increased costs, geological problems...

Of all major reconstruction projects (arnhem, Rotterdam, etc) I find Breda the likelier candidate to age the worst .

The shed is barely 3 years there and it has stains all over. Also, it leaks under moderate rain onto the platforms.
When the station was delivered, everything looked fine. However, winter came around a couple of weeks after the buses started using the new bus platform.

As snow stuck to the undersides of the buses came loose and started to melt on the platform, it turned out that not enough countermeasures were taken to deal with such an amount of water. This caused leakages to occur in all kinds of places.

The issue has been fixed a couple of months ago, but not all stained areas have been painted over yet. They will be.

The platform leakages are related to the parking area on the roof, which isn't finished yet. Initially leaks also occurred on platforms 7/8, but I haven't seen this since that half of the parking area opened.
Quote:
The underground retail area and passageway roof on the contrary is too short and it makes the place feel cramped.
As a daily user, I don't experience that as a problem. What concerns me more is that half of the commercial areas are still empty, nearly two years after the building opened. Even the commercial area right next to the Kiosk is still empty!
Quote:
They put diesel buses within the same shed of trains, without the physical separation we see in Amsterdam C. and apparently no special exhausting system either
Gases rise and there's plenty of wind influx from both sides, so that shouldn't be a problem I think?

Slagathor, BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #3247
Suburbanist
on the road

Why were they replacing all tiles on train platforms?
Old June 20th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #3248
AlexNL

They were closing the entrance to the old tunnel.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 09:51 PM   #3249
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=527

Dutch plan 'driverless' freight train trial
Thursday, June 23, 2016

DUTCH infrastructure manager Prorail confirmed at this week's TEN-T Days conference in Rotterdam that it is planning to trial automated operation of freight trains on the Betuweroute dedicated freight line, which links Rotterdam with the German border near Emmerich

The trials, which have been requested by German Rail (DB) rail freight subsidiary DB Cargo, are due to begin next year and a risk assessment is already underway. Trains will operate with a driver on board during the tests

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #3250
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

And why not? As long as the train is aware of its exact position ERTMS Level 2 will tell it exactly how fast it can go at any point. However automated system have thus far not proven to be good at economical and smooth driving (compare a German train with AFB controlled by LZB), so I'm interested as to how this is going to develop.
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #3251
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Also, the Betuweroute is a pretty unique case in Europe of a long and isolated line, without platforms nor crossings or other dangers, still not a dense traffic... could be a very interesting experiment.

A friend of mine is working on something similar operating in Australia, and in a much larger scale

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #3252
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Also, the Betuweroute is a pretty unique case in Europe of a long and isolated line, without platforms nor crossings or other dangers, still not a dense traffic...
Is it important ? In most cases when there is an obstacle, specially with freight
trains, the driver is not able to stop the train in time anyway.

The big difficulty I see with driverless trains is not that, but rather the difficulty
to control a train under unstable rail-wheel adhesion conditions. That's where
the dexterity of an experienced driver becomes priceless.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #3253
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Yes and no, for example a manned train will hit a person anyway but it must be stopped anyway after the event, and a driverless train should be equipped with sensors to do so.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #3254
Suburbanist
on the road

Questions:

1. What are these train cars (I spotted them at Sloterdijk earlier this week)

2. What is the purpose of this black-fenced cage at Breda station platform #6?
Old June 24th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #3255
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Is it important ? In most cases when there is an obstacle, specially with freight trains, the driver is not able to stop the train in time anyway.
Even though I do not deny that a passenger train on average has far superior brakes, it also travels 40 km/h to 60 km/h faster. Additionally more and more trains operate with their brakes in the P setting instead of the G setting, resulting in a much quicker reaction time to brake applications. So most freight trains will only have a slightly longer braking distance compared to a passenger train. However, because it travelled slower in the first place that also gives the driver more time to spot an obstacle.

But however you look at it: even ordinary modern passenger cars will reach 10 m/s^2 deceleration, whereas even the best braking train will struggle to get over 1,2 m/s^2, especially on slippery tracks.
Old June 24th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #3256
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Questions:

1. What are these train cars (I spotted them at Sloterdijk earlier this week)
Those are part of the Train Lodge Hotel.

Quote:
2. What is the purpose of this black-fenced cage at Breda station platform #6?
That cage contains some electrical equipment, its design should integrate with the rest of the station.

Suburbanist liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 01:55 AM   #3257
Suburbanist
on the road

Some more NS media teasers. I think they want to connect with the millennials or smth.

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; July 1st, 2016 at 02:04 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 05:40 PM   #3258
AlexNL

The first Stadler FLIRT for Arriva Limburg will arrive in the Netherlands tomorrow, it is expected to cross the border at Oldenzaal between 16:00 and 18:00. If you snap a picture of it and share it on Arriva's Facebook page, you can win a VIP pass for the official presentation on July 15th.
Old July 2nd, 2016, 08:53 PM   #3259

Likes (Received): 1034

Here it is.

Link
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 09:05 PM   #3260
Suburbanist
on the road

Will it be used only on Maastricht Randwyck <=> Kerkrade services? Or will it also replace NS sprinters in Limburg?