daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #3301
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I'll write a recap of the new layout of the Zuidtak, for those who don't how it works; any integration is welcome.

Many cabride videos already documented the new 4-tracks of the Zuidtak line in southern Amsterdam, from Duivendrecht through Amsterdam Zuid to Schiphol Airport (technically to the Riekerpolder junction), part of the SAAL infrastracture project.

I chose a video that can help showing the logic behind the planning of these works. More than the track doubling itself, the interesting part is how they managed to reconfigure the two junctions to solve all the conflicts of the Riekerpolder - Schiphol - Hoofddorp 4-tracks stretch.

In the previous situation the Riekerpolder junction was creating a bottleneck of crossing traffic:
- traffic to and from Amsterdam Centraal (Westtak line) was led onto the inside tracks towards Schiphol, while most of that traffic is routed on the outside tracks south of Schiphol (to Leiden and Rotterdam)
- traffic to and from Amsterdam Zuid (Zuidtak line) was led onto the outside tracks, while south of Schiphol it mostly pointed to the inside tracks leading to the Hoofddorp depot.

The new setup at Riekerpolder gives complete flexibility: traffic from each line can reach both inner or outer tracks without blocking the other line.

Same was done east of Amsterdam Zuid, at the Duivendrecht junction: here the Zuidtak inner tracks lead straight to Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena and then Utrecht (via the Utrechtboog), the outer tracks lead straight to Duivendrecht station and then Almere or Hilversum/Amersfoort (via Weesp), and an extra connector gives again the flexibility to switch the two fluxes with no bottlenecks.

With this advanced setup the path a train will take at Hoofddorp is basically selected back at Duivendrecht, a good 20 km before. And this is quite amazing
Another interesting figure is that between Hoofddorp and Houten Castellum there are now "same direction*" four tracks for more than 61 continuous km (excluding the short Utrechtboog), which is probably a European record, if not a world one.

*I don't know if there's an English term for the v v ^ ^ setup

This video shows very clearly how a train from the Hoofddorp depot to Utrecht is now given a route at the beginning of its trip and never leaves it up to the Duivendrecht junction (where it leaves the Zuidtak to join the line to Utrecht).

02:00 the train leaves Hoofddorp depot and is routed onto the inner tracks at Hoofddorp station
06:00 Schiphol Airport station (central platform)
16:45 Riekerpolder junction: all 4 tracks continue towards Amsterdam Zuid, while extra connectors lead to Amsterdam Centraal (to the right of our train)
18:00 Amsterdam Zuid station, with an extra middle track before the station for future services ending there
21:40 passing through Amsterdam RAI station, with the new platform for eastbound traffic (strikingly simpler design!)
23:00 Duivendrecht junction: outer tracks to Duivendrecht station, inner tracks to A'dam Bijlmer Arena plus extra connectors to Duivendrecht too (to the left of our train)

With the new setup, in the whole course of action this train left a free path for a lot of services that it previously crossed:
- Rotterdam - Amsterdam Centraal Thalys/IC direct
- Den Haag HS - Amsterdam Centraal IC/Beneluxtrein
- Den Haag CS - Zwolle IC
- Leiden - Weesp Sprinters

and this is quite a significant improvement

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #3302
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Another interesting figure is that between Hoofddorp and Houten Castellum there are now "same direction*" four tracks for more than 61 continuous km (excluding the short Utrechtboog), which is probably a European record, if not a world one.

*I don't know if there's an English term for the v v ^ ^ setup
The ECML in Britain is probably longer. From King's Cross to Huntingdon it's around 100 km of such quadruple track. For the exception of 5km over Digswell viaduct and through the two tunnels. Maybe there are some other smaller pieces of double track, but I can't find any at the moment, so I don't think so.

From the Digswell double-track part to Huntingdon it's, I guess, 63 fully continuous km of quadruple track. Which is basically the same as the line in the Netherlands

Wilhem275 liked this post

Last edited by BriedisUnIzlietne; August 24th, 2016 at 08:17 PM.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #3303
Wilhem275
The Transporter

So NL hold the European record

More seriously, the Dutch network almost surely takes the cake for the overall amount of km of quadrupled tracks "paired by direction" (Wikipedia uses this definition).
There are many such stretches in the German network, but they're mostly short and concentrated around main nodes. IIRC, their longest line with that arrangement will be the Nürnberg - Ebensfeld, which is being rebuilt right now and should be approx. 60 km long as well.

About OV SAAL, I also read that there's a plan to add two tracks at Weesp, for through IC services to Almere (as I once proposed). Still, it will be pretty tricky to manage the 2-tracks line between Duivendrecht and the Gaasperdammerweg junction if they wish to add more Sprinters, the Diemen Zuid stop may become an even worse limit (plus the freight traffic).
It's pretty odd that they ended a quadrupling before a station, but doubling Duivendrecht would have requested a lot more money.

Now I'm into full fantasy-railway mode and I'm wondering if a doubling of the Westtak was ever planned... it would be relatively easy except for the Hemboog viaduct, which I can't understand if it was designed with that in mind (the Utrechtboog was).

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; August 24th, 2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old August 24th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #3304
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Duivendrecht carries rail and subway, so it is pretty challenging to rebuild it. Speaking of it, the immediate vicinity of Duivendrecht station is the only place in the Netherlands so far were I ever felt uneasy walking around with a camera taking some pics (in the sense of being spooked regarding my personal safety by people I thought were behaving in a suspicious manner and checking me out, prompting me to abort my photo errand and walk back).
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:04 AM   #3305
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

THE NETHERLANDS | Railways

Quote:
About OV SAAL,... It's pretty odd that they ended a quadrupling before a station
no, it's not. 2 tracks are for the Schiphol-Almere service (crossing Duivendrecht), 2 tracks are for the Schiphol- Utrecht service, (Duivendrecht avoider) which increased enormously in the recent years.

Quote:
Now I'm into full fantasy-railway mode and I'm wondering if a doubling of the Westtak was ever planned...
Yes it was in the early 90's, as an Amsterdam CS avoider for trains on the axe Zaandam - Utrecht. A'dam CS became overcrowded.
Instead they choose 1. to prolong the platforms at A'dam CS 2. divert more trains coming from Utrecht via the Duivendrecht avoider to Amsterdam Zuid and Schiphol (track expansion that just finished) 3. To use the space at the Westtak for the new metro that connects Amsterdam Sloterdijk with Amsterdam Zuid (M50).
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 01:26 AM   #3306
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
no, it's not. 2 tracks are for the Schiphol-Almere service (crossing Duivendrecht), 2 tracks are for the Schiphol- Utrecht service, (Duivendrecht avoider) which increased enormously in the recent years.
That's clear, but the layout allows two trains to run in parallel on the Zuidtak and then end up together at Duivendrecht station; for example a Sprinter coming from Hoofddorp Midden and an IC from Leiden (this will only happen in case of delays, of course).
The rule of thumb is to always have at least one station track for each line track, in order to have the trains to at least enter the station and unload passengers, and then wait there instead of waiting outside the station.

The problem is already existing in the opposite direction. Imagine a Sprinter entering the line at Gaasperdammerweg just before an IC: the IC will have to wait behind it for two stops before being able to reach the station. A second platform at Duivendrecht would be of great help in these situations.

The best scenario would have been similar to Sloterdijk: 4 tracks from Zaandam, 4 tracks get into the station, and after that they compact into two. But I agree that the Utrechtboog will drain much more traffic than the Hemboog.

The real issue is that a doubling of Duivendrecht would be very expensive: the second platform should be very large, like the existing one; then you have historical buildings on one side, and railway viaducts on the other... so the rule of thumb couldn't fully apply here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
Yes it was in the early 90's, as an Amsterdam CS avoider for trains on the axe Zaandam - Utrecht. A'dam CS became overcrowded.
Instead they choose 1. to prolong the platforms at A'dam CS 2. divert more trains coming from Utrecht via the Duivendrecht avoider to Amsterdam Zuid and Schiphol (track expansion that just finished) 3. To use the space at the Westtak for the new metro that connects Amsterdam Sloterdijk with Amsterdam Zuid (M50).
Yep, I remember that part. Probably it's thanks to the metro that they could scrap the De Vlugtlaan station.
What I'm thinking is a potential future doubling of the existing tracks: four tracks from Riekerpolder all the way to Sloterdijk, and even a second platform there.

The reason is that with the extra capacity at Riekerpolder there could be more trains accessing the Westtak now, but there's a significant interference between services stopping at Sloterdijk and Lelylaan and the increasing number of trains skipping all stops between Centraal and Schiphol (which in the end are those making the HSL useful).

Now [remember we're into fanta-railways mode...] at Sloterdijk there's full space for an extra platform; between the Hemboog and Riekerpolder space is not a problem. Riekerpolder can be "easiliy" evolved (for the fourth time...) with a trick to accept 4+4 tracks.
What I'm left wondering is if there's actual space for an extra track under the Hemboog.

Old August 25th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #3307
Grzegorz.Janoszka

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
I'll write a recap of the new layout of the Zuidtak, for those who don't how it works; any integration is welcome.
If only openstreetmaps could be updated to let us better understand your description :/
Grzegorz.Janoszka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #3308
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz.Janoszka View Post
If only openstreetmaps could be updated to let us better understand your description :/
We can do even better: SporenPlan.nl is already updated and you can follow the precise track layouts.

Here from Hoofddorp to Amsterdam RAI, including Schiphol, Riekerpolder and Amsterdam Zuid.
Here Duivendrecht junction and station (on the left) and the Utrechtboog connecting to Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena, and then all the line to Utrecht.

ORM is also partly updated: the new tracks are still under costruction, but they're drawn in their final configuration so you can get a good idea.

About sat images, the latest update I found is on Google Maps, but you must deactivate the 3D option.
Most of eartworks and buildings were already in place, so together with the videos you can understand the final shape.

Bing images are so old that the works didn't even begin, so you can use them to compare the previous situation. You can even recognize the very first shape of Riekerpolder junction, when it was simply at-grade.

I also strongly suggest to use this very good map to understand all the train services on the Dutch network
For example, the train in the video I linked is represented by the dark blue line departing from Schiphol Airport.

mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by Wilhem275; August 26th, 2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old August 25th, 2016, 09:32 PM   #3309
Harbornite

Likes (Received): 235

[DE] Maiden run of NS E 186 034

Quote:
On 23.08.2016, Martin Voigt was able to capture the new NS E 186 034 during its maiden run. The locomotive was seen in Fulda.
http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?n...9&action=dview

mrsmartman liked this post
Harbornite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #3310

Likes (Received): 1036

Today the first refurbished VIRMm has been shown to the press.
NS has used the same interior which was used for NID.

Link

dimlys1994, seb.nl liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 09:25 PM   #3311
Wilhem275
The Transporter

NID's and ICM's look much better live than in pictures, I'm sure these will make no exception.

I just find weird that they kept the small elevator box, weren't they going to be removed to widen the stairs?
It looks like an odd phone boot now, it could be a nice place to send those wishing to talk in a silent area

Old August 30th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #3312
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6086

That would be way too costly for minor benefit. The luggage compartment is a good idea, though the execution leaves much to be desired.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #3313
rodineisilveira

Likes (Received): 525

Looks like Alstom Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
Today the first refurbished VIRMm has been shown to the press.
NS has used the same interior which was used for NID.

Link
The design of this double-decker looks like Alstom Metropolis.

Last edited by rodineisilveira; August 30th, 2016 at 10:26 PM.
rodineisilveira no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #3314

Quote:
I just find weird that they kept the small elevator box, weren't they going to be removed to widen the stairs?
It is part of the structure so it couldn't be removed.
The VIRM4 doesn't have those elevator shafts because they've been redesigned.
Old August 31st, 2016, 12:25 AM   #3315
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Yep, I just remembered someone said that there was a plan to update previous versions too. Clearly it's not so easy.

Old September 1st, 2016, 01:43 AM   #3316
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I'm wondering: now that NS is getting a larger fleet of HSL-capable locos, is there any plan to speed up the IC Brussel by routing it on HSL Zuid, south of Rotterdam?
Belgium should be ETCS-accessible, in a few years, when NS will receive the new Alstom ICs.

It would come at the expense of Dordrecht, and partly of Roosendaal (still keeping the local to Antwerpen), but would cut some significant travel time and would make a better use of the rather empty cross-border HSL.

It wouldn't even be a competitor for Thalys, too different speeds and markets.

Old September 1st, 2016, 10:50 AM   #3317
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
I'm wondering: now that NS is getting a larger fleet of HSL-capable locos, is there any plan to speed up the IC Brussel by routing it on HSL Zuid, south of Rotterdam?
Belgium should be ETCS-accessible, in a few years, when NS will receive the new Alstom ICs.

It would come at the expense of Dordrecht, and partly of Roosendaal (still keeping the local to Antwerpen), but would cut some significant travel time and would make a better use of the rather empty cross-border HSL.

It wouldn't even be a competitor for Thalys, too different speeds and markets.
The plan from December this year is to run the international train like this: Amsterdam Centraal, Schiphol, Den Haag HS, Rotterdam Central, Breda*, Antwerpen Centraal, Mechelen, Aeroport Nationale, Bruxelles Centrale, Bruxelles Midi.

At Breda*, there will be cross platform timed transfers with IC direct fast trains heading to or from Amsterdam and saving 25 min in the process. Breda will already have trains using the HSL to both Den Haag Centraal (the rerouted Den Haag C. - Maastricht IC direct) and Amsterdam C. It will also be the transfer point to passengers from Roosendaal and Dordretch

With the increase in t he number of Thalys trains, it is now much easier to find seats at discount prices to Belgium.

Last edited by Suburbanist; September 1st, 2016 at 10:59 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 10:58 AM   #3318

This is going to happen after December this year!
The controversial thing is that the Benelux will be slower then it was before the HSL/Fyra era.
Also the The Hague - Eindhoven service will also use the HSL instead of the classical line.

http://www.treinreiziger.nl/actueel/...brussel-145639

Turf liked this post
Old September 1st, 2016, 11:04 AM   #3319
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Eurostar?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 11:04 AM   #3320
Suburbanist
on the road

I read somewhere they want to swap IC routes so that there will be IC Venlo_ schiphol (instead of Den Haag) and IC Den Haag (instead of schiphol) - Maastricht /Heerlen