daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:30 PM   #3341
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

They may need some rearrangement before going en route. But yet it's quite a lot of back-and-forth for that job...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Don't forget the Intercity Dordrecht-Amsterdam via Haarlem.
Yep, it's one of the "2 IC (Den Haag) - (Dordrecht)": 1 Vlissingen - Lelystad C. via Schiphol + 1 Dordrecht - A'dam via Haarlem

Since december Dordrecht will be left with its 2 IC and 2 Sprinters.

So, between Rotterdam and Breda via HSL (every 60'):
2 IC Direct A'dam - Breda
2 IC Den Haag - Eindhoven - Venlo?
1 IC Brussel

And, to make it even better, any plans to extend an Utrecht - Rotterdam all the way to Breda?

One day I'll finally understand why the hell so many people keeps moving around the country all day long A friend's theory is that they put all housing in one city, all jobs in another, all restaurants in a third one... and all toilets in yet another one

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:35 PM   #3342
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
Why can't they turn around in Roosendaal. There is so much idle space there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
They may need some rearrangement before going en route. But yet it's quite a lot of back-and-forth for that job...
Oops it seems I misremembered that. I checked the thread and found this post by Momo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Loco reversals are indeed prohibited in Roosendaal out of safety concerns (mostly due to a string of incidents a couple of years ago). But when only a loco reversal is needed the trains don't have to travel all the way to Kijfhoek, it can already be done at Lage Zwaluwe. It doesn't really happen that often since most freight cars from Vlissingen to Belgium do pass Kijfhoek anyway. That's because almost all mixed freight trains from DB Schenker in the Netherlands is routed via Kijfhoek. There are a couple of trains from some places in the Netherlands that are not Kijfhoek where there's enough traffic directly to Köln Gremberg or Hagen Vorhalle. Since DB Schenker doesn't have it's own yard in Belgium they don't deliver the freight-cars directly to SNCB/NMBS Logistics yard at Antwerp.

The NMBS or any other company also don't have any scheduled direct freight trains from Vlissingen to Belgium.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 09:54 PM   #3343
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Speaking of Lage Zwaule, is it the NS-served station with least daily use? Did it use to serve some defunct-and-demolished big factory or something like that? Or was it just a convenient point near the bifurcation of Brabant and Belgium lines where they decided to build and operate a station (something that is otherwise quite rare in Netherlands).
Old September 3rd, 2016, 02:46 AM   #3344
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Speaking of Lage Zwaule...
The Moerdijk branche line connects at Lage Zwaluwe with the Dutch main railway network, be it to Kijfhoek, Eindhoven/Germany or Roosendaal/Antwerp (as well as the port of Vlissingen Sloehaven). So enough for Lage Zwaluwe to be a Cargo hub.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 08:46 AM   #3345
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62990

Lage Zwaluwe is busier then some of the smaller stations on the Zeeuwse Lijn (Roosendaal - Vlissingen). It serves the villages of Lage Zwaluwe, Moerdijk & Zevenbergschenhoek.

It's an old station, it opened together with the opening of the line from Breda to Moerdijk in 1866. For the 1st 6 years this line terminated at Moerdijk where there was a boat connection to Rotterdam. In 1872 the Moerdijk Bridge opened, before that Lage Zwaluwe was used as a construction railway yard for the bridge. The opening of the bridge was the start of the station becoming a proper railway junction. In 1876 the line from Roosendaal was connected with the Moerdijk Bridge via Lage Zwaluwe (this line would also terminate at Moerdijk before, but there was a direct line from Zevenbergen to this little town which is now more known for it's harbor / industrial complex). In 1886 the 5 branche line from Lage Zwaluwe was opened, this was the line to 's Hertogenbosch. This one is now still in use (since 1950) as an industrial line to Oosterhout. The small branche to Moerdijk was already closed in 1928. The much newer branche line to the Moerdijk industrial area follows a completely different route then the old line.

Being on this junction gave the station it's right to exist. Until the whole rationalisation of the timetable with the Spoorslag '70 program which included the introduction of the Intercity trains from 1970s many long distance trains did stop there, to offer connections to the other branche lines.

(most info from stationsweb.nl)

Still being a junction is probably the most important reason why it's still open. There's also a free P+R (Park + Ride) facility at the station.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 11:14 AM   #3346
sven_engelen

Likes (Received): 6

Does that mean that there will be only VIRM trains on that traject? Because it's a very busy traject and 4 icm 4's from Eindhoven to Schiphol is way too long right?
sven_engelen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 11:39 AM   #3347
The Polman

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Why can't they turn around in Roosendaal. There is so much idle space there.
I think it wasn't even for capacity or anything, rather than local nimbies. At the other side there are nimbies complaining beyond Roosendaal because of that.

Further news: a painful mistake. No train traffic in Zealand this weekend because of planned works, which were postponed so there are no works but no passenger train will service!

http://www.bndestem.nl/regio/zeeland...inen-1.6332632
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 01:06 AM   #3348
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Regarding the 2017 timetable:
- The IC Den Haag - Venlo will be reduced to Den Haag - Eindhoven and will use the high speed line. NS is going to use a composition of Traxx + 9 ICR coaches + Traxx.
- The Beneluxtrein will be routed over Breda. Dordrecht and Roosendaal will no longer be served, instead Breda and Noorderkempen will see additional stops.

However, some delays are going to happen:
1) As of december 2016, the Den Haag - Eindhoven train will be split in Breda as NS is incapable of getting enough drivers trained for Traxx and HSL. With the april 2017 timetable update, this will become one through series again.
2) The rerouting of the Beneluxtrein does not take place until april 2017 either. This is because Bombardier can't get their act together, the necessary software patches to allow the Traxx locos to run on the Belgian part of the HSL are still not finished.

The Belgian part of the HSL infrastructure is different than the Dutch part. The safety and signalling systems were provided by a different supplier (Alstom) and they use some features which aren't being used in the Netherlands. The software on the Traxx locos has to be updated to work with this, too.

Harbornite liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #3349
Suburbanist
on the road

That means Breda station will make full use of its passenger side infrastructure
Old September 5th, 2016, 06:19 PM   #3350
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Regarding the 2017 timetable:
- The IC Den Haag - Venlo will be reduced to Den Haag - Eindhoven and will use the high speed line. NS is going to use a composition of Traxx + 9 ICR coaches + Traxx.

However, some delays are going to happen:
1) As of december 2016, the Den Haag - Eindhoven train will be split in Breda as NS is incapable of getting enough drivers trained for Traxx and HSL. With the april 2017 timetable update, this will become one through series again.
Do you know how this will effect the time needed to change from the (future)IC1900 (Den Haag-Breda-(Eindhoven)) and the IC3600 (Roosendaal-Zwolle) and vice versa. It's currently 20minutes waiting, realy annoying.

The NS website is blank after 10 december, but I believe the timetable is finished?
Old September 5th, 2016, 09:52 PM   #3351
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Do you know how this will effect the time needed to change from the (future)IC1900 (Den Haag-Breda-(Eindhoven)) and the IC3600 (Roosendaal-Zwolle) and vice versa. It's currently 20minutes waiting, realy annoying.
The whole timetable in Brabant will be revised, so the IC3600 is likely to be affected as well. What the consequences of that will be, I don't know.
Quote:
The NS website is blank after 10 december, but I believe the timetable is finished?
The timetable is practically finished, but changes can still be made (late path requests). The deadline for this is October 10th, 2016. After that date, the timetable is finalised and published.
Old September 6th, 2016, 12:23 AM   #3352
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

ah well, it' cant get worse then 20min.
Old September 8th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #3353
The Polman

New railway station Breda officially opened

State secretary of traffic and transport Sharon Dijksma has officially opened Breda railway station at 15:30 this afternoon after a four-year major overhaul.

http://www.bndestem.nl/regio/breda/b...eo-s-1.6355394

The previous station from 1974 has been demolished for 99% (apart from two dissonant kiosks) and a much larger building came in place, with below the tracks about 5000 square meters of hall space (including tunnel, not including shops and restaurants, my estimation, the old one was under 1000m2, also including the tunnel) and above 6 platform tracks and one large bus platform parallel to the railway tracks. The entry to the city center (Willemstraat) also saw an overhaul with pedestrians now in the middle and restricted accessibility for other transport modes. Also, the north side has gone from an unnoticed exit at a rather grim parking lot to an enormous work of brick and glass.

2012: demolishing north side in early 2012, later in the year land at the north side was cleared and the first part of the old roof was stripped.
2013: former post-platform 2 in use for passengers, demolishing the old roof completely, first signs of new building visible. A temporary bridge for access to the north causes lots of tired legs.
2014: first tracks covered by the new roof in april/may, on September 6 opening of northern hall, south closes while in the same year the old station, including the similar roof of the regional bus station and the bus stations in general, are demolished.
2015: southern (center) side increasingly visible, more tracks covered by roof, parking garage on roof opens and apartments start to be occupied.
2016: finishing the southern side and opening the southern hall at the start of July (correct me if I'm wrong). Temporary bridge becomes obsolete and will be dismantled. Opening on September 8 by Sharon Dijksma.

But we're still missing the promised train to Belgium, the whole reason this station gained its current proportions for

And so the fourth of six key projects (excluding other major overhauls) will be closed.

Old:

New:

Old interior:

New interior:

Last edited by The Polman; September 8th, 2016 at 07:13 PM. Reason: reducing image sizes
Old September 9th, 2016, 07:17 AM   #3354
sven_engelen

Because i still have a day ticket that will expire this sunday, i will do a huge train travel on Sunday! This will be the travel:

07.00: Venlo (place of residence)
07.52: Nijmegen

08.18: Nijmegen
09.41: Zwolle

09.47: Zwolle
10.44: Groningen

10.51: Groningen
11.40: Leeuwarden

11.44: Leeuwarden
12.38: Zwolle

12.45: Zwolle
13.10: Lelystad Centrum

13.14: Lelystad Centrum
16.54: Vlissingen

17.06 Vlissingen
18.07 Roosendaal

18.20 Roosendaal
18.38 Breda

18.51 Breda
19.29 Eindhoven

19.31 Eindhoven
20.34 Maastricht

20.57 Maastricht
21.27 Roermond

21.36 Roermond
21.58 Venlo

Klausenburg liked this post
sven_engelen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:18 AM   #3355
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Why would you do that to yourself?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #3356
The Polman

What I forgot to mention about the Breda station:

the works began before 2012 already, but were only visible from the inside: platforms were opened up in 2008 and 2009 to construct the passenger tunnel, which was already prepared for chip card usage by splitting the tunnel in two zones. The gaps the tunnel left weren't covered anymore, in contrast to the covering of the old tunnel in 2015. Where the old tunnel was in the length of the Willemstraat, the new tunnel is more to the west (and the entrance at the front has stairs more to the east to lessen the detour from the Willemstraat.

As I couldn't find any proper digital map of the new station, I decided to photograph one from printed media*. You can see the tunnel is west of most other facilities and most facilities also have moved westwards because of this, although the platforms are at the same location as they were traditionally:

Another fact is that in preparing for a new station (and mostly the HSL service) the platform at track 7 and 8 was constructed in the late 2000s.

the printed media was given for free at the opening

Slagathor liked this post
Old September 9th, 2016, 12:33 PM   #3357
Suburbanist
on the road

Something I did not understand is why they have built the lifts in the middle of two escalators instead of building three escalators and a central lift like they did, for instance, in Rotterdam. With so many people changing trains in Breda in the near future, when Breda will become the transfer point for traffic between a large chunk of Netherlands and Belgium, and the likely point where they will often terminate or start late international trains to prevent them from messing up the domestic schedule, they should have gone for a bit more space to/from the access tunnel.

The access tunnel was indeed planned with OV-chipkaart in mind to the station works very well in that regard.

The main entrance of the station also changed to the north side.

What will happen with the "phantom" platform 2?
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #3358
sven_engelen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Why would you do that to yourself?
What else should i do with a day ticket valid till Sunday..
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:26 PM   #3359
The Polman

Quote:
Something I did not understand is why they have built the lifts in the middle of two escalators instead of building three escalators and a central lift like they did, for instance, in Rotterdam. With so many people changing trains in Breda in the near future, when Breda will become the transfer point for traffic between a large chunk of Netherlands and Belgium, and the likely point where they will often terminate or start late international trains to prevent them from messing up the domestic schedule, they should have gone for a bit more space to/from the access tunnel.

The access tunnel was indeed planned with OV-chipkaart in mind to the station works very well in that regard.

The main entrance of the station also changed to the north side.

What will happen with the "phantom" platform 2?
This platform is not going to be used for a while for sure. In earlier statements on the Dutch forum was told that planned shops will obstruct potential stairways to the platform of track 2. In the longer term it is possible to remove the obstructions but it would not be ideal as the platform is narrow and the access probably suboptimal. So I guess that it can be used for goods but even for that purpose it is not ideal, compared to Eindhoven.
Old September 9th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #3360
Suburbanist
on the road

They also need to take down the ugly remnants of the temporary scaffold staircase looming over the tracks.