daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #3361
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6142

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven_engelen View Post
What else should i do with a day ticket valid till Sunday..
At least take an hour per destination to walk around and see the sights or something. Don't imprison yourself on trains all day, they're not that comfortable in this country and they don't have restaurant cars.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #3362
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polman View Post

But we're still missing the promised train to Belgium, the whole reason this station gained its current proportions for

Did they design the architecture of the station to make the shock for the Belgians passing through less. I mean, it looks like the typical 100yo fixed and refixed brick housing, with windows sealed by bricks and then reopened and conrete patches that fix cracking walls, you will find in low end neighbourhoods in the bigger Belgian cities.

I looks like drab to be honest. It could be Borgerhout or Molenbeek, or the Bronx in 80ties.

What a shame.
Old September 9th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #3363
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Bricks are something you see a lot in the neighbourhoods around the station, so the architect decided that his building should also have a brick facade to better blend into the surrounding area. They have chosen to use various coloured bricks to prevent the building from looking too overwhelming.

Back in 2009, this is what the entrance on the north side looked like:
Old September 9th, 2016, 04:54 PM   #3364
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Here are some more photos from the Dutch forum section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breda2008 View Post
Wat foto's van ProRail:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breda2008 View Post
We zijn toch leuk foto's-van-een-ander aan het posten. Deze zijn van architectenweb.nl

Old September 9th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #3365
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62821

Quote:
Is this even possible with all the engineering work in the weekends.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #3366
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6073

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
I mean, it looks like the typical 100yo fixed and refixed brick housing, with windows sealed by bricks and then reopened and conrete patches that fix cracking walls

What a shame.
That was exactly the inspiration, actually. But the the architect found it in Italy.

They've projected all earlier design phases on the brick walls, as it were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The main entrance of the station also changed to the north side.
Of course not. They just put it there because that made it easier during construction and because they don't give a shit about the people actually using the station by designing a ridiculously inconvenient and illogical layout. The main entrance is, and always will be, the city center side.

The Polman liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #3367
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post

Of course not. They just put it there because that made it easier during construction and because they don't give a shit about the people actually using the station by designing a ridiculously inconvenient and illogical layout. The main entrance is, and always will be, the city center side.
I meant it from an architectural viewpoint. Breda Centraal will be mainly accessed by the south side. This has repercussions, though: the rather large shopping areas might be less patronized than they would be otherwise, due to its location. Cheaper commercial rents would help though.

I wish they were building much taller buildings in the north side, on that reclaimed industrial land. With upcoming 64/day fast trains to Amsterdam and Rotterdam per day, it would be a good place to live and commute and save a lot of money in housing costs.
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #3368
Harbornite

Likes (Received): 235

[DE/NL] NS update: E 186 035, 037, 038-040

Quote:
This morning (09.09.2016) NS E 186 037 had its maiden run. E 186 035 left the Kassel factory to start its journey to the Netherlands. Bombardier continues right away with delivering the eight units that have been ordered extra: Batch E 186 038-045. The first three of this batch are already awaiting their maiden run. (Christian Klotz and Marcus Alf)
http://www.railcolor.net/index.php?n...5&action=dview

dimlys1994 liked this post
Harbornite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 12:26 AM   #3369
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

During today's opening of Breda station they operated a steam tram on Speelhuislaan tracks which were reconstructed as a pedestrian path to the station

fairly low quality photos provided by me
Old September 10th, 2016, 03:24 AM   #3370
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

There are two really horrendous things in that building:
- the fake concrete patches in the fake brick walls
- the squared pillars that become round halfway through

Last time I saw the half square/half round pillars I was 100% convinced it was temporary, to not ruin the lower half during the works, and that a squared cladding was going to be added. Those things look like a joke now

Luckily both things can be fixed for a cheap sum

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 09:33 AM   #3371
sven_engelen

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Is this even possible with all the engineering work in the weekends.
Yup, i planned the travel and I'm not facing any railworks
sven_engelen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #3372
Coccodrillo

Quote:
I do such trips sometimes in Switzerland, with some non Swiss friends that do not own any kind of Swiss pass. There are cheap (~30 €) day passes for Switzerland that can be used by everyone, but these are hard to find, so every time they have time and get one (usually once or twice a year), my friends want to exploit them as much as possible!

(such passes are sold by the municipalities, not the SBB, and can be used only on certain dates - so to use them, one has to hope to find one and to find it valid on a day that suits him, which is not easy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriedisUnIzlietne View Post
During today's opening of Breda station they operated a steam tram on Speelhuislaan tracks which were reconstructed as a pedestrian path to the station
That's odd, I suppose they are remenants of some indistrial siding, right?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #3373
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
(such passes are sold by the municipalities, not the SBB, and can be used only on certain dates - so to use them, one has to hope to find one and to find it valid on a day that suits him, which is not easy)
It helps to live in a small community. In Basel (15 available per day) they are sold out very quickly. Albeit now in fall it's a bit easier and there are still some left for every day starting mid October. Sometimes I get them for friends/family visiting from abroad.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #3374
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
There are two really horrendous things in that building:
- the fake concrete patches in the fake brick walls
- the squared pillars that become round halfway through

Last time I saw the half square/half round pillars I was 100% convinced it was temporary, to not ruin the lower half during the works, and that a squared cladding was going to be added. Those things look like a joke now

Luckily both things can be fixed for a cheap sum
Since you're the only one deeply troubled by these things, do you mind footing the 'cheap' bill?
Old September 10th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #3375
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I'd rather pay NS a course of fine architecture

C'mon, they just needed to go in full brick mode... what do those random patches mean? I can't look at those and not think to a run down industrial building.

The city itself is one of the nicest I've seen in NL!

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #3376
The Polman

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Indeed they are! It was a cargo branch line used until 1989. After that date is was still maintained until 2004. After that date the line was disconnected from the mainline at Breda station and parts are demolished.

Coccodrillo liked this post
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #3377
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I'd rather pay NS a course of fine architecture

C'mon, they just needed to go in full brick mode... what do those random patches mean? I can't look at those and not think to a run down industrial building.

The city itself is one of the nicest I've seen in NL!
It's a reference to an old design feature (so called blind bays) that's fallen into disuse and is these days usually associated (often mistakenly) with the infamous window-tax introduced by Napoleon.

It can often be hard to tell the difference between windows that were bricked up for tax purposes and blind bays that were designed like that from the start.

Public buildings were exempt from the tax and indeed many churches (for example) already had these closed bays for decades if not centuries.

But with private houses it becomes very tricky. I happen to know that this building in The Hague was designed with closed bays. But this house... Who knows. These closed bays may have been closed bays from the start. Or they might have been windows that were bricked up later. Or perhaps some of them were initially closed bays while others were later bricked up. It's hard to know without the paperwork.
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #3378
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

Off all great station projects undertaken or u/c in Netherlands recently, Rotterdam Centraal is my favorite, and Arnhen Centraal comes at a very close second place. Amsterdam Centraal is my least favorite, they should have demolished the old station and built something completely new with stunning architecture and a massive floor-to-ceiling clearance. Something like full of glass playing tricks with sunlight reflection and a massive LED wall for electronic art display visible from Amsterdam Noord. Imagine that
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:25 PM   #3379
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6073

I'd rather not.

Slagathor liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 11:08 PM   #3380
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polman View Post
Indeed they are! It was a cargo branch line used until 1989. After that date is was still maintained until 2004. After that date the line was disconnected from the mainline at Breda station and parts are demolished.
Since I live in Breda only as of August, I don't know that much. But we are studying exactly that area north of the station and I think that it was also the historical steam tramway route. (That's why they used the historical steam tramway train during this opening ceremony) That tramway closed shortly before WWII, but was reopened as an industrial railway after WWII.

Nowadays only Speelhuislaan tracks remain (it used to be much longer) and all except for the last block were reconstructed as a pedestrian path.
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote