daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #3541
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
It's hideous, but then bright yellow and blue were always a bad combination.
One of the most attractive liveries on a Dutch train was the red and yellow Benelux livery. If they decide to use ICng sets on services to Belgium I hope they revive this livery. Could look very good...'
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #3542
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I actually like the current yellow+blue, more than its white-ish variant applied to Sprinters.

Somebody posted here some renders of the current livery with black/dark grey instead of blue, I remember it looked much more modern and still "very NS".

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 11:40 AM   #3543
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
One of the most attractive liveries on a Dutch train was the red and yellow Benelux livery. If they decide to use ICng sets on services to Belgium I hope they revive this livery. Could look very good...'
That will never happen, I'm afraid. The red part of this livery came from the red that was in force on the belgian trains at that time. Red + yellow like SNCB + NS. But this belgian red livery is almost extinct now. I hope they will come with something creative anyway, although I'm not holding my breath.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #3544
Wilhem275
The Transporter

From the roads thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
An interesting 1979 photo of the Botlek Bridge in the Port of Rotterdam. It shows a shared road/rail lane. It was put into operation on 9 July 1967 to handle Sunday traffic to the beaches (2 lanes westbound in the morning and 2 eastbound in the evening). It may have been removed after the motorway tunnel opened in 1980.

What's a passenger train doing in that area? Beach traffic too?

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Grzegorz.Janoszka, zaphod, The Polman liked this post
Old January 6th, 2017, 12:29 AM   #3545

Likes (Received): 1038

Probably an excurion train there is no passenger service only goods traffic.
The bridge on the foto was used until last year when it was replaced by a bigger bridge.
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #3546
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26154

From Rail Journal

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=529

First NS New Generation Sprinter EMU on test
Wednesday, January 18, 2017

NETHERLANDS Railways (NS) has released footage of the first completed New Generation Sprinter (SNG) EMU, which is undergoing tests at CAF’s plant in Beasain in northern Spain

NS placed a €510m order with CAF in December 2015 for 118 of the 1.5kV dc suburban trains, which are based on CAF’s Civity platform. The order comprises 68 three-car and 50 four-car sets

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 05:39 AM   #3547
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 891

I have some questions about Dutch railway:
1. Which cities / towns have tram or LRT network?
2. I'm planning to visit Netherlands in October. I was wondering if it's possible to visit Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg without any need to stay there? I'm planning to go from Amsterdam - Hamburg vv in a single day
Old January 20th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #3548
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
2. I'm planning to visit Netherlands in October. I was wondering if it's possible to visit Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg without any need to stay there? I'm planning to go from Amsterdam - Hamburg vv in a single day

AD 1: check the tram section at: http://egtre.info/wiki/Netherlands_-...al_Information for information and details.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #3549
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
2. It is a five hour journey single trip, so you have to leave early. If you're willing to depart at 5:12 in the morning and return at 23:01 in the evening you have from 10:13 till 17:46 in Hamburg. Whether or not that is enough for you I can't Judge.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #3550
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Quote:
Originally Posted by verfmeer View Post
2. It is a five hour journey single trip, so you have to leave early. If you're willing to depart at 5:12 in the morning and return at 23:01 in the evening you have from 10:13 till 17:46 in Hamburg. Whether or not that is enough for you I can't Judge.
10.13 until 17.46 is sufficient, but the trainlag is not worth attempting, I think. So I would stay overnight in Hamburg then
Old January 20th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #3551
Wilhem275
The Transporter

A day trip NL-Hamburg, just to visit MW, is something I wouldn't suggest even to the most hardcore railfan
It's a pretty dull and slow train ride, 2 trains (more if not departing from Amsterdam), and then there's the risk of spending some time in queue at MW.

When I visited it I came from Berlin (2 hrs) in the morning and then left in the evening with a night train, and I didn't even have time to see the city. I spent a lot of time in there, because it really takes long to fully appreciate it.

Overall you can do it, but be advised it's going to be a hard day. I'd probably stay for the night and pay a visit to the city on the following day, and maybe visit something else on the road (Bremen for example) or the tram/LRT network of Hamburg which is good too.

About trams and metros, only Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague have them and they're all nicely wide networks (plus a single line in Utrecht, not so interesting).

If you're interested in the systems more than in the travel itself, the Rotterdam network is pretty much "standard", wide but nothing so interesting to see (well, like the city itself... ), Amsterdam is nice for trams sneaking in the crowded old city plus the metro ring (combined with the main railway, something unique), while in The Hague there's the most interesting tram network IMO; a mix of modern and old, a stretch shared with the metro, elevated and underground parts with interesting architecture... and a trip to the Scheveningen beach is always worth it, even in October

bagus70, Turf, DH93Dyl liked this post
Old January 20th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #3552
suasion

Likes (Received): 1851

I have also on more than 1 occasion missed a connecting train at Osnabruck, it is more of a problem in the Amsterdam direction due to the train being bi-hourly.

Wilhem275 liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 07:22 AM   #3553
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

So yeah, I probably won't visit Wunderland on this October's trip. I think enjoying rail scene in Netherlands is sufficient
Old January 21st, 2017, 01:44 PM   #3554
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21250

I rode an old DD-AR today. I thought they had all been renovated or scrapped?
Old January 21st, 2017, 03:30 PM   #3555
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
So yeah, I probably won't visit Wunderland on this October's trip. I think enjoying rail scene in Netherlands is sufficient
You can go to Miniworld in rotterdam, it's similar but smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I rode an old DD-AR today. I thought they had all been renovated or scrapped?
A small amound has been reactivated, they are really shitty inside but it's better then standing.
They are activated so the Mat'64 could be scrapped, and until all the FLIRTS are in to service they will remain in service as sprinters.
There are 11 EMU-4 sets composed as : 4*DDM+1700 loco
There are 18 EMU-3 sets composed as : 3*DD-AR + 1700 loco
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:57 AM   #3556
The Polman

Likes (Received): 800

Finally the connection between Breda and The Hague is restored, though still with transfers for Tilburg and Eindhoven this finally brings an improvement to travel speeds from previous year instead of worsening.

It took even longer, until 9:00 instead of 5:30/6:00 as this morning a kettle wagon had a bad smell near Lage Zwaluwe, which is solved.
http://www.bndestem.nl/regio/oosterh...weer-1.6849452

For Breda departures: http://www.ns.nl/actuele-vertrektijden/avt?station=bd
Note however that the new connection may be more unstable because of too many reasons. The trains are exactly the same as the IC-Direct, of which 5% (!) is cancelled on average.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 12:12 PM   #3557
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21250

The problems and alternative arrangements in Breda you allure to were mostly related to renovation of Rotterdam Blaak and the Willemspoortunnel
Old January 23rd, 2017, 07:26 PM   #3558
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Makes me happy, 20 min less travel time on a 2 hour journey and no 20min wait in Breda!

The Polman liked this post
da_scotty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:44 PM   #3559
Grzegorz.Janoszka

Likes (Received): 197

For quite a while there are similar scenes in the Haarlem train repair workshop. There are some trains unmoved for a few months, they seem to be blocked by a wrecked car, container, tyres and so on.

Anybody knows what is going on there?
Grzegorz.Janoszka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #3560
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

I've asked, looks like it's an exercise for the emergency services.