daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2017, 12:01 AM   #3761
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

I know, but it's b******t.
The IC-Direct/Coach stock is here for at least 4 more years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has to stay for 6-7 years.

September '17 I believe.

Wilhem275 liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #3762
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

That should be september 2017, I don't know the precise day though.
Old April 26th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #3763
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6152

After the summer, like that makes sense.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 03:52 AM   #3764
AlexNL

Just in time for the peak season... when a new college year starts and many students haven't moved out yet
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #3765
BriedisUnIzlietne

Likes (Received): 2896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
NS won't, I have written before here why.
One of the reasons: new stock in the way...
When and what will be the new trains? I was very annoyed that now from Breda I don't have WiFi not only in the Rotterdam direction, but also in the Eindhoven direction
BriedisUnIzlietne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #3766
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6074

Probably Alstom Concordia.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #3767
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62874

New railway bridge under construction in Utrecht. The bridge will cross the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal between Utrecht Centraal and Utrecht Leidsche Rijn. It's being put together over 500m from the railway line. When it's fully assembled it will be moved over land to it's final position right between the existing railway bridge and a road bridge. This will happen in November.

IMG_5172 by Momo1435, on Flickr

After the new bridge has opened the existing bridge will be renovated. When that's completed the whole line between Utrecht Centraal and Woerden will have 4 tracks.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #3768
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Probably Alstom Concordia.
Coradia

The units will likely be a variant of the Coradia Liner which Alstom are building for SNCF.

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2017, 03:16 PM   #3769
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

So I noticed NS is still tweaking their travel information system. Some things are better now: disruption advice always alternate between Dutch and English (red typeface on white background). Delays are also shown win red. White typeface on blue background seems now reserved to information on trains following the next one.
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:23 PM   #3770
The Polman

Likes (Received): 785

some, but worsened on the visibility of disruptions from a distance like if everyone takes just one actual second to check departure times on their mobile phone (3 seconds to take, 5 seconds to unblock, 5 seconds to go to the correct app and because the app has a slight lag, 10 seconds before you switched to the right screen). In that time I could've seen the disruption on the screen that it is delayed so I won't run, or turn back when the screen was faded like in the past. Now it all takes extra time.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:42 PM   #3771
city_man

Likes (Received): 295

Eurostar to run direct trains from London to Amsterdam by end of the year

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3546141.html
city_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 11:08 PM   #3772
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Doesn't tell how the passenger checks issue will be solved.

Also, I don't get why they speak of the Rotterdam connection as a brand new thing, like the Amsterdam service won't already run through Rotterdam CS...

In theory, a platform may be segregated in both stations, but for London-bound trains only, and definitely not in Schiphol.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 11:30 PM   #3773
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Apparently passenger check facilities will be built in Amsterdam and Rottterdam.

E* trains won't stop in Schiphol and Antwerp.

So no pax detraining in Brussels.

Aim is a journey A'dam-London in less than 4 hours.
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 11:46 PM   #3774
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

They will build platform extensions in Rotterdam and Amsterdam for Eurostar. Schiphol will likely be not served by the Eurostar, at least initially.

In Amsterdam, they will extend platform 15b.

In Rotterdam, they will use platform 2 and extend it further. It has been underutilized since the end of Hoek van Holland services.

Trains will be operated like this: half the trainset will depart from Amsterdam with passengers going to London, the other half with passengers going to get off in Bruxelles-Midi. Both sections of the train will be kept closed off to each other.

In Bruxelles-Midi, the half-train with passengers to London stays put while the other half is emptied of passangers coming from Netherlands and then opened to passengers boarding in Bruxelles-Midi.

This will take 20-25 minutes of stop time at Bruxelles-Midi on London-bound trains.

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 02:14 AM   #3775
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I think you mean platform 1 in Rotterdam. But yes, those are the only confined spaces available.
AlexNL explained how the track layout in Rotterdam was modified to allow train from the HSL to reach track 1 (previously not possible), although IIRC that path only leads to half of it, which may not be long enough for a double E320.
The current layout of Rotterdam CS.

It's funny, because the Dutch network makes extensive use of the island platform concept, which is very efficient, and that's why those two are so easily expendable to the Brit's paranoia... only because they're remnants of less efficient designs.

It's just crazy to think of the costs and technical efforts to make those trains run at high speeds and under the freaking sea, and then have them sitting for 25 minutes because oh my! God forbid we're not an island anymore

Anyway, speaking of Schiphol, I wonder if there's a really strong demand for it. After all, if one has to reach it to catch a plane, it's probably better to just begin the trip at a UK airport 4 hours earlier... and there's plenty of connections from Brussel and Rotterdam anyway.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

el_hoffmann liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 09:04 AM   #3776
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Do realise that Schiphol is a major hub airport, with planes arriving and departing from and to destinations not served by the Paris and London airports (and vice versa).
However at this moment Schiphol is so crowded that at peak times you need to account for at least an hour to one and a half hours to pass security and passport control. For the past years every time I arrived at Schiphol I noticed the lines at immigration had increased yet again. In fact I can't remember any airport I've ever been to having longer lines.
So despite 4 hours travel time sounding long, accounting for the complete end to end journey the train could be the best option.
Old May 24th, 2017, 10:53 AM   #3777
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

The Eurostar is not going to stop at Schiphol.

Impression of the new check-in booths in Rotterdam (source):

[IMG]

[IMG]

Edit: I removed the pictures because the plans for Rotterdam have changed. They will now use platform 1, which means a new booth is no longer necessary.

Last edited by Slagathor; May 24th, 2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old May 24th, 2017, 11:38 AM   #3778
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

The second picture is correct, the building will be build on platfrom one, which will be expanded over track one, effectively becoming platform 2.

Track 2 has connection to the HSL line, and is not used anymore since the closure of the Hoekse-Lijn. I wonder if they will use it as a dedicated platform for Thaly's services as well.

da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 11:53 AM   #3779
Weissenberg
Grid or Riot

Likes (Received): 297

Looks good, though it makes me wonder, who's going to pay for these check-in booths?
Weissenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 12:36 PM   #3780
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Plans have just changed. There will not be any booths in Rotterdam, instead they will use platform 1.

They will actually use track 2 by putting a platform extension over track 1, apparently. This takes care of the problem with the length of the train that Wilhelm275 earlier referred to.

Track 2 doesn't currently have a platform, as you may know.

The article in question mentions that platform 1 "will be extended across track 1 so it reaches track 2" but it doesn't specify how that will happen. This could be a temporary construction (this sort of thing) or a permanent change. We'll have to wait and see.