daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #3781
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Wouldn't creating a crossover at the ends of 1M and 2M from between MA and MB to between AA en AB make more sense? That should work if the openrailway map is correct. You can then access track 1 full length and use track 2 as intended.

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #3782
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

I Believe they don't want to add switches (reliability and such) but yes, that might be way easier..
Old May 24th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #3783
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Now it all makes sense. Yes, track 2 will solve the lenght problem with no need for layout changes (€€€).
It would make sense to use it for Thalys as well, they follow a similar fare segregation. Thalys is sometimes received at track 1b today.

In general, with the Hague line (southbound) rerouted on the former Hoekse Lijn tracks, I believe the western part of Rotterdam CS will need to be redesigned with new flyovers.
The current Hague tracks reach plaftorms 6-7 by a viaduct over the HSL and Gouda (freight) tracks which reach platforms 1-5 instead.
To keep this arrangement (which is good) the former Hoekse Lijn tracks will need a new viaduct over HSL/Gouda.

A quick draft just to get the logic of it:

(yellow one's already in place)

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 06:47 PM   #3784
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

I don't think Thalys will move to platform 1/2, there's no operational need for it.

Now that the Hoekse Lijn no longer forms part of the main railway network, platform 1 has gone pretty much unused. In theory it could be completely dedicated to Eurostar services, and being closed off when it is not needed. Only Eurostar trains and through running trains (e.g. freight) would then use it.
Old May 24th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #3785
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
I don't think Thalys will move to platform 1/2, there's no operational need for it.

Now that the Hoekse Lijn no longer forms part of the main railway network, platform 1 has gone pretty much unused. In theory it could be completely dedicated to Eurostar services, and being closed off when it is not needed. Only Eurostar trains and through running trains (e.g. freight) would then use it.
Platform 1 is very useful to access the NS International lounge without the need to go out of the gated area and in again before boarding your train (which is no big deal if you have an OV-Chipkaart, but a little less comfortable if you have suitcases and a paper ticket for Thalys).
Old May 24th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #3786
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Maybe they will start x-raying passenger luggage going on Thalys trains, like they do at Gare du Nord (in a very clumsy way as platforms were not meant to have checkpoints there).
Old May 24th, 2017, 07:14 PM   #3787
AlexNL

I completely forgot about the lounge, you have a good point. Having the lounge right next to the platform can be a bonus. In that case, they might also send the Beneluxtrein to that platform.
Old May 26th, 2017, 06:59 PM   #3788
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Maybe they will start x-raying passenger luggage going on Thalys trains, like they do at Gare du Nord (in a very clumsy way as platforms were not meant to have checkpoints there).
Let's hope they won't. It's a nuisance which serves no purpose.

Wilhem275, The Polman liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #3789
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Ok, it seems it finally happened. Some solid rumors say Trenitalia acquired the V250 fleet a few days ago.
17 trains will be in service, 2 more will be used for parts. They will be part of the Frecciargento fleet.

The most probable option is they'll be used on the Adriatic line, Milan - Bologna HSL + upgraded line up to 200 km/h.
The first units will be in service in one year from now.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #3790
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

God help those poor travelers.

Are you sure it's not the other way around? Two trains in service and 17 for parts?
Old June 26th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #3791
8166UY

Likes (Received): 294

Yet again, if they got them for a bargain you can fully refit them so they will work. Just don't let Ansaldobreda do it.
8166UY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 11:22 PM   #3792

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Ok, it seems it finally happened. Some solid rumors say Trenitalia acquired the V250 fleet a few days ago.
Interesting, an "anonymous" buyer also has bought 3 IC2 DMU built by Ansaldo Breda from the danish railways (with an option to buy the other 12 DMU's) this week.
Maybe also Trenitalia?
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 11:47 PM   #3793
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Price is said to be 6,4 M€ per unit, but the contract with Finmeccanica will include some maintenance obligations, at least for spare parts.

Jokes apart, I believe these trains will be a good (even if late) success, they are roomy and seem to offer good performance and ride quality.
If AB didn't miserably fail the Fyra project, the V250 would have been a better platform for those operators who are now buying non-tilting Pendolinos (NTV and PKP).

About the IC2, there are many rumors regarding TI but right now they're just pure speculations AFAIK.
TI is renovating its diesel fleet and needs some DMUs quickly, but I'm not sure the IC2 is fit for the job.
But, as I said many times, there's only one operator on this Earth who can make AB's crap work...

GrijzePilion, Slagathor liked this post
Old June 27th, 2017, 03:24 AM   #3794
GrijzePilion

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
17 trains will be in service, 2 more will be used for parts. They will be part of the Frecciargento fleet.

The most probable option is they'll be used on the Adriatic line, Milan - Bologna HSL + upgraded line up to 200 km/h.
Seeing as I never got to ride one in The Netherlands, I'll want to go ride one in Italy someday. But, let's face it - they'll probably be out of service again in no time at all. I don't think they can really just pray all the problems away.
GrijzePilion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2017, 08:30 PM   #3795

Likes (Received): 1036

Some railway heritage news.
The 220.902 (mat 57) will return to the Netherlands this month.
The only remaining EMU of mat 57 was stored away for almost 30 years in Leuven, Belgium but the belgian railways wanted to get rid of the 220.902.
The stichting mat 54 bought the 220.902 from the belgian railways
After the restoration of the 766 (mat 54) which was completed this year the grandmother of the Benelux and failed Fyra service will be transported via rail this month and restored by the stichting mat 54.
After the restoration it will be used with the 766 for heritage rides.

The 220.902 in it's shed in Leuven where it sat for almost 30 years .
leuven 12/06/2009 by Hans Paulus, on Flickr

The 220.902 being prepared for transport with the cab ends coupled together to make transportation easier.

Link

Also today the heritage railway Hoorn-Medemblik showed the NS6513 to the public.
The NS 6513 is a rebuild of the NS6500 series.
The serie consisted of 12 steam engines which were used for local railways.
The last NS6500 was scraped in 1937.
The heritage railway Hoorn-Medemblik received an almost identical steam engine which was build in the same era as the NS6500 by the same manufacturer Hohenzollern in Germany.
The heritage railway Hoorn-Medemblik tried to rebuild the engine into a NS6500 which became 13th steam engine of its serie.
Due to the fact that the NS6513 was build in 1887 it's the oldest operating steam engine in the Netherlands with an age of 130 years

A video of the restoration (in Dutch).
[/QUOTE]

Wilhem275, Theijs liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:26 AM   #3796
AlexNL

Quote:

(...)

It's been a few days since you posted this and I haven't seen anyone else stating it, so please excuse my scepticism

The trains were returned to Italy in Fall 2014 and have been parked in Prato. I doubt that they've seen much maintenance ever since they've been parked there (except for the bare minimum needed to keep the bogies in shape) so they're most likely to be in a dire state.

Having 17 trains refurbished + type certified in a year from now sounds highly ambitious to me. I would say impossible.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 03:59 PM   #3797
Wilhem275
The Transporter

The whole story has been so absurd I can't blame anyone for being skeptical

I've been told they signed the new contract on 19/06, with some maintenance details still to be defined.

They won't need to go through the certification process, the original homologation is still valid and TI won't apply any substantial technical change (which is what made the operation viable).

Apart from the needed (deep level) maintenance to bring them back to service, the plan is to change just the external and internal colors; the seating is pretty much identical to the Frecciabianca fleet.

Still, "I'll believe it when I'll see it"

Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:43 PM   #3798
AlexNL

I imagine that the ATB and MEMOR pickup coils will be removed, as these systems aren't present in Italy and the antennes might interfere with trackside equipment. Is there ETCS along the entire route where the V250 units would be redeployed? If not, the Italian legacy train protection system would have to be retrofitted onto the units.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:57 PM   #3799
GrijzePilion

Likes (Received): 91

I've also been told that new nose cones would be installed - for obvious reasons.
GrijzePilion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #3800
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Yep, those too, but there still isn't a final design. They just want a way to close the coupling compartment.

In Italy ETCS is in use only on HSLs (in trial on some old lines), on other lines there's a system called SCMT which uses the same balises of ETCS.
SCMT can now be implemented as a software layer within the ETCS device, it has already been done on some foreign loco (OeBB's Taurus, I think).

GrijzePilion liked this post