daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #3821
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
I'm not sure if its true but I thought that the lady who was used for the announcements in the SLT has died a few years ago and they had to use a different voice due to new stations.
You are right, the original announcements in the SLT and SGMm trains were voiced by Loes van der Schaft. They sounded like this:

While the new voice sounds like this:

I prefer Loes' voice, but since she has passed away and new announcements were needed I understand why NS have replaced all of them.

Another voice which I really like is that of Carolina Mout, which is used by RET for announcements in the subway of Rotterdam. A good example starts at 30:50 in this video:

3737 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2017, 01:44 PM   #3822
The Polman

Likes (Received): 779

The voice of Loes van der Schaft however had also its flaws, not unlike other places in regions away from the Randstad: the r-pronunciation was awful at best for these. Especially for Tilburg which tended to sound like she was in the middle of some whoohoo.

The new voice is much more clear but sounds less soft. The voice in the FLIRT is a blatant copy from Google, the system unworthy.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!

AlexNL liked this post
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 05:15 PM   #3823
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

https://youtu.be/vuiaEzfryls?t=7m

At mark 7:00, a dynamic comparison of old/new VIRM paintjobs (plus a very nice parallel run).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2017, 07:48 PM   #3824
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polman View Post
The new voice is much more clear but sounds less soft.
Frankly, I hate the new announcements. While the voice itself is better than Loes, the lady over-articulates a lot and sounds very robotic as a result. While this is okay for short announcements, it really gets on my nerves when she says a full sentence.

Sentences like "U kunt hier overstappen voor het metronetwerk van Rotterdam" (change here for the Rotterdam subway network) sound very weird because of the over-articulation. In my opinion the RET lady does this a lot better.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 12:04 AM   #3825

Likes (Received): 1034

SNG is tested at the moment at the climate chamber in Vienna.
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2017, 01:01 AM   #3826
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

I like the recorded announcements for GVB
Old August 3rd, 2017, 11:13 PM   #3827
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I like the recorded announcements for GVB
You mean the male announcements in the tram, voiced by Marc Klardie? That is a very nice voice to listen to. Marc also voiced the Dutch announcements in the local train from Enschede to Duisburg.

His voice was selected by coincidence: GVB had asked several voice actors to make some samples, which would then be evaluated by the PIS system engineers. Marc Klardie, a GVB employee, had compiled the samples into a single tape, to which he added a short introduction. The engineers responded that his voice was the best.
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #3828
Suburbanist
on the road

Yes. As a foreigner with a background on Romance native languages, the way his voice articulates complex words make it easier to understand.
Old August 4th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #3829
The Polman

Likes (Received): 779

In first instance I always found his voice somewhat old-fashioned as I thought this became a female job like being a teacher at the elementary school . Of course that isn't true. I actually increasingly appreciate his voice over the sometimes very unappealing female voices. With unappealing I mean those who sound very stressful or are mostly compiled by the computer (compare the NS Flirt, which sounds like a Google Translate ripoff). Also, his voice does not give much of a local sense, and neither gives it an anti-local one (in contrast to the first Arriva Limburg ones which sounded like they almost wanted to military invade Limburg from Amsterdam, they were replaced swiftly).

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #3830
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6142

Sometimes I wonder if it's really so hard to have the voice actors just pronounce the whole line instead of recording separate words.

Like, couldn't they just record: "Beste reizigers, het volgende station is X" for each station? Is that so hard?

I realize it would take longer, so you'd have to pay the voice actor for his/her services for an extra 2-3 days. That seems like a small price to pay for a natural sounding announcement service.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #3831
Suburbanist
on the road

I think this practice stems from the days when processing power on programmable controllers was at a premium, so recording some 4h of sound would be cost-prohibitive not because of the voice actors but because of storage/processing issues.

Of course this is no longer the case, and it hasn't been for a while, yet I think they stuck with the practice.

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #3832
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6073

It simply is because of uniformity and consistency in quality.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #3833
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6142

Consistently low quality...

Wilhem275, BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 10:24 PM   #3834
Wilhem275
The Transporter

It's actually happening, can't believe it!

http://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOT...N:HTML&tabId=0

17 trains + 5 years full maintenance (with an option for 5 more).

Price still undisclosed, probably because of ridiculousness

A friend also confirmed they reached over 300 km/h between Turin and Milan, with a smooth ride.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old August 11th, 2017, 10:57 PM   #3835
Weissenberg
Grid or Riot

Likes (Received): 297

Wrong thread, I suppose?
Weissenberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #3836
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weissenberg View Post
Wrong thread, I suppose?
No, this is about the 'Albatros'/Fyra/V250, preciously ordered by Dutch Railways for the Amsterdam - Brussels service.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:02 AM   #3837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
A friend also confirmed they reached over 300 km/h between Turin and Milan, with a smooth ride.
Wait, they've tested the V250 at 300 km/h ?
Those trains already fell apart at 250 km/h.

suasion liked this post
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:45 AM   #3838
Wilhem275
The Transporter

And it even did fine, in terms of ride stability and comfort. Anyway, it was just a test, there's no plan to raise the max speed as it would reopen the homologation process (so, it will never happen).

We should organize a SSC Italian-Dutch meeting when they'll try to put these in service... to get stranded all together, but at least with a better panorama outside

Old August 12th, 2017, 04:44 AM   #3839

And if the V250 will rip itself apart we can take som souvenirs of our trip with us home
I knew they've tested the V250 at 275 km/h in the Netherlands but not at 300 km/h.

Also ferrovie has some more info about the V250.

Some of the V250 were transported from Prato to Osmannoro for cleaning and a check up last month.

Two EMU's will be used for spare parts for the other 17 EMU's
They will accommodate 3 classes: Standard, Premium and Business and they will also have a Bar/bistro.
They will probably replace the ETR.600 on Rome-Venice service.
The first four will be put into service on June 2018.
The other 13 will come into service a year later.
The V250 will probably be presented in oktober this year at Expo Ferroviaria.

I used google translate for this information so maybe some of the info is falsely interpreted.

Last edited by 3737; August 12th, 2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old August 12th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #3840
Wilhem275
The Transporter

All correct. There's still not a final decision on the services they'll do because several Trenitalia's HS EMUs will need to be stopped in the next years (for fire protection upgrading), so the V250 will be probably used as a random replacement at first.