daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #3841
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
We should organize a SSC Italian-Dutch meeting when they'll try to put these in service... to get stranded all together, but at least with a better panorama outside
I will definitely come to Italy when the V250 enters service. I have a feeling a lot of Dutch rail aficionados will.
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #3842
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

Putting the V250 in operation will show how precipitated the decision to retire them for good and cancel the contract was for HSA...

It's 2017 and there are still no trains, of any kind, traveling between Breda and Antwerpen.

The Polman liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #3843
The Polman

Likes (Received): 779

and we are getting out of patience here in Breda and its HST-hinterland. We demand proper temporary replacement that brings us to Antwerp faster than today.

And the problem? Not technical, no. It is political! The Belgians have a deep-rooted hate against anything that will make alternatives to the Thalys faster as they say it is an income for them that they might lose. So the NMBS is refusing cooperation for years already and I fear it will not be solved soon.

However, what they do not notice is that this Breda-issue has nothing to do with the Thalys. We just ain't going to travel to Rotterdam just to go back to Antwerp! What they do now is that people are stranding in a nowhere, do not go to Belgium by train at all, utilizing the road or even avoid Belgium after all. They cut in their own fingers, as we, civilians from Breda, Den Bosch, Tilburg, Eindhoven, Nijmegen and beyond, do not see the train to Belgium as a vitable option. Some say we have the best connections with our neighbouring countries, but going to Belgium by train is a deception worse than trying to book a flight from Kiev to Moscow...

Actually, even that is smoother. Better think about West Berlin-Tokyo during the Cold War, that it is.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 07:01 PM   #3844

Likes (Received): 1034

It's technical, the BR186 used for the IC direct aren't allowed in Belgium because the ERMTS update used for the HSL zuid keeps causing problems.

The belgium BR186 / HLE28 used for the Benelux don't have this update and they are allowed in Belgium but those aren't allowed on the HSL zuid due to the missing update.
Bombardier got a new update for the Dutch BR186 but it first needs to be tested which takes time.
If everything will be going according to plan we will see the benelux service using the HSL zuid the end of this year.

Link(dutch)
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 07:01 PM   #3845
AlexNL

According to SNCB it's not economically viable to have three trains (Thalys + Beneluxtrein + shuttle to Breda) cross the border at Hazeldonk, as these trains will run at a loss. SNCB is unwilling to foot the bill for that, after the Fyra fiasco they've struck a deal so that NS compensates them for losses that the Beneluxtrein makes while running on Belgian soil. So far, NS have paid € 14.4 million in compensation to SNCB. This is why they've come up with the idea of having the Beneluxtrein serve Breda.

The price which Infrabel asks for paths plays a large factor in these losses, as speed is taken into account when the price of a path is calculated. Infrabel takes the "reference speed" of the infrastructure and the speed of the requested path into account. If there's a significant difference between them, the path becomes more expensive as Infrabel considers this path to be eating capacity - even on a line that is as ill-used as HSL4.

There are other factors at play as well: international trains pay a surcharge, and on some lines (such as around Brussels) there's a congestion charge. Finally, if you want to run trains late at night or during weekends you also pay extra.

I once did the math based on the numbers I pulled from Infrabel's network statement and its appendices, the difference is quite big. A train running at 300 kph will have a much cheaper path than a train doing 160 kph.
Old August 12th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #3846
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
If everything will be going according to plan we will see the benelux service using the HSL zuid the end of this year.
NS have already confirmed to SoS Dijksma that it won't be possible to have the Beneluxtrein use the HSL-Zuid as per the new timetable, as the software update is delivered late and this eats into the preparation time they need for the change.

NS write that they do as much as they can to get the Beneluxtrein rerouted over HSL-Zuid once the software has been homologated, taking into account the 6 months they need for this preparation.
Old August 12th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #3847
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Putting the V250 in operation will show how precipitated the decision to retire them for good and cancel the contract was for HSA...
If they are ever put into operation and even then I'd like to see the price tag...

Quote:
It's 2017 and there are still no trains, of any kind, traveling between Breda and Antwerpen.
A colossal failure, I agree.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2017, 07:08 PM   #3848

Prorail released a short video what will change in 2018 timetable.

Kampen-Zwolle an Zwolle Enschede will be taken over by Keolis/Syntus.
With the takeover by Keolis, the Dutch Railways (NS) will lose it's last non electrified branchline which means the end of more then 80 years using diesel traction by the NS.
The DM'90 DMU's will probably be decommissioned.

Link

Turf, Theijs, flierfy, Thorum liked this post
Old August 24th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #3849
trexel94

Likes (Received): 35

Tiny but Midi - Amsterdam to Brussels via Thalys (video included)

My first HSR trip from Amsterdam to Brussels in Thalys Comfort 1

IMG_3153 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr

IMG_3155 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr

IMG_3157 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr

IMG_3164 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr

IMG_3167 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr

IMG_3171 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr

IMG_3177 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr

Slagathor, 3737 liked this post

Last edited by trexel94; August 30th, 2017 at 05:17 AM. Reason: video error playback
trexel94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 04:54 PM   #3850
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

The renewed Zwolle - Kampen line:

In other news, in the road topic it was mentioned that the BleiZo (Bleiswijk-Zoetermeer) station will finally be built.

I remember this station was opposed on the grounds of the timetabling problems that it would introduce on the Den Haag CS - Gouda line.

Today Sprinters leave from DH a few minutes behind the IC and arrive in Gouda a few minutes before the following IC, and this leaves little room for adding another stop to the Sprinters (which would be BleiZo).

I don't know how this will be solved, maybe they'll just squeeze it in.
Another possible solution is slightly slowing down the IC by making them stop in Zoetermeer Centraal

Other than the advantage to Zoetermeer itself, this would probably introduce better connections to Utrecht for many parts of Leidschendam/Leidschenveen, while today they need to backtrack all the way to Den Haag CS.

One more alternative, an IC stop in Ypenburg. Same advantages for the outskirts of Den Haag, and would benefit Delft as well.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

BriedisUnIzlietne liked this post
Wilhem275 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 07:14 PM   #3851
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

I remember when Voorburg used to be an IC stop and I have no doubt that NS will come up with an extra stop in the most awful fvcking shithole on the line and brand it an improvement. B!tches.

Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:22 PM   #3852
Suburbanist
on the road

Why are you so aghast on Zoetermeer life and transportation issues?
Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:46 PM   #3853
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

There is absolutely no way that you and I will ever understand each other on the issue of Zoetermeer, so let's just move on.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 05:41 PM   #3854
Suburbanist
on the road

How is the NFC OV-Chipkaart test going? That has quite a lot of potential.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 11:10 PM   #3855
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6073

Afaik as of now the test is a failure. Turns out it is very difficult to design a system with that many types of phones and all deal with the (limited amount of approved) service providers. To be able to use it you have to use 3 different apps (one of which is Google Wallet/Apple Pay isn't even available yet..) and you have to set your OV-chipkaart to automatical reload. Also you can't use it if you have a subscription (which would be their target market I'm assuming).
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 08:31 AM   #3856

Tonight the first SNG arrived in the Netherlands.
The 2703 was transported towards Amsterdam Zaanstraat depot.

Also yesterday 2 FLIRT trains arrived for the Vallei line.

Connexxion 5039 en 5038 bij aankomst te Amersfoort, 13 september 2017 by Roel Hemkes, on Flickr

Old September 14th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #3857
Suburbanist
on the road

I really, really dislike this cheap-style window frame the SNG have. I know it is made for easy replacement (compared to sealed windows that mesh with the body and don't have a rubber band), but ugly it does look indeed.

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #3858
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62824

The refurbished VIRM EMUs are becoming a more and more regular sight on the Dutch tracks. Here's a picture taken this morning as an IC Utrecht - Leiden just leaving Woerden.

20170919_100637 by Momo1435, on Flickr

BriedisUnIzlietne, Suburbanist liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #3859
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6073

I just sat in one for the first time today. Comfy seats. They seem to wobble less also?
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #3860
8166UY

Likes (Received): 293

They indeed did a great job with the suspension. The whole ride is way smoother. Also up and down is more like a car with air suspension (rare, but you do encounter is sometimes with bridges or crossings).
8166UY no está en línea   Reply With Quote