daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2017, 03:53 PM   #3861

Likes (Received): 1038

Today the new ICNG mock-up was presented.
The ICNG will eventually replace the ICRMm rolling stock.

Link

Link

EPA001, Mojito liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2017, 03:59 PM   #3862
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

ICNG mock-up unveiled in Amersfoort
03 October 2017 | News

NS have unveiled the preliminary design for the Intercity New Generation (ICNG). NS placed the order for 79 such trains with Alstom in the summer of 2016. The mock-up that was presented in Amersfoort today was designed to give the general public an idea of what the new trains will look like.

The trains will have a maximum speed of 200km/h and will be suitable for traveling on the high speed railway line between Amsterdam and the Belgian border.

The deal with Alstom consists of the delivery of 79 trains of which 49 will have 5 carriages and 30 will have 8 carriages. Altogether, the trains will have roughly 25.000 seats.

The trains will be equiped with (wheelchair accessible) lavatories, WiFi, travel information screens, separate trash collection, led-lighting with intelligent light control, (USB) plugs and extra luggage space.

For more information (in Dutch) and photos, please go to the website of Rail Magazine.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 04:00 PM   #3863
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
Today the new ICNG mock-up was presented.
The ICNG will eventually replace the ICRMm rolling stock.

[images removed]
Great minds think alike, you just beat me to it.

3737 liked this post
Old October 4th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #3864

Likes (Received): 1038

True

Also tonight they've started testing the SNG on Dutch soil.

Link

Wilhem275, Slagathor liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #3865
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

So, I understand there will be 118 SNG by CAF.
Plus 58 new FLIRT (+6 for R-Net), plus the existing 131 SLT.

I guess the end is near for the SGMm...

Also, the ICNG will reasonably replace the 186+ICRm on the HSL. Some of the ICMm too?

Speaking of the ICNG, this will be its Italian brother, which will be used for regional services:

Most notable difference is Vmax (160 vs. 200), which in turn requires different bogies and less streamlined details (roof, headlights).

One thing I don't like of the Coradia family are the windows, always too small compared to some competitors.

I much prefer NS's colors, toilets included

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Slagathor, Patrick Highrise liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #3866
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Yeah I've been wondering how much longer ICMm is gonna be around...
Old October 6th, 2017, 01:12 PM   #3867
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

The oldest ICMm is going to be replaced by the initial order of ICNG. There are options for more seats (up to 125.000 extra seats) to replace the rest.

But priority is to replace the ICR pulled trainsets.

Slagathor, Wilhem275 liked this post
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #3868
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

So our 160 km/h train that never operated at 160 km/h, will be replaced by a 200 km/h train that will never operate at 200 km/h?

GrijzePilion liked this post
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #3869
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Well they should do because the very first trains they will replace is the Intercity Direct on the high speed line.
Old October 7th, 2017, 01:43 PM   #3870
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

And provide service to Belgium
Old October 7th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #3871
mistertl

Likes (Received): 61

No. They will not provide any service into Belgium.
The Traxx+ICRmhi coaches will stay until the end of the current franchise ends in 2025.
However, there are two extra trains with a Belgium package on order. When NS gets a new contract from 2025, they have the possibility to order trains that have already been accepted in Belgium, which means that the current stock can be replaced within a smaller time window.
mistertl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #3872
btrs

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
ICNG mock-up unveiled in Amersfoort
Why did some stupid designer come up with the idea of a black front window band instead of continuing it all-blue ? Would have looked much better, and is also applied on NID.
btrs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #3873
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Probably because NS's blue is too light for that job. On the NID they tried a decent solution, but IMHO it doesn't really blend well with dark windows and frames.

Overall I like this solution, it's actually quite elegant.

I have the feeling blue is the culprit here, not black.
In general I think the NS livery would look much cooler by switching from the current flat blue to a dark metal grey.
More or less like the VIRM's front, that contrast works well there.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old October 9th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #3874
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Indeed the shape of the blue to black band just doesn't look right.
The shape of this train is ideal to use the mat'54 intercity livery as inspiration: The blue band should end just in front of the passenger windows, the space from the cabin side windows over the cabine doors should be just plain yellow, the top blue line should be made slightly narrower and have continued as far to the front as possible, or removed alltogether and finally the yellow section over the windshield should have been either blue or grey.
They still have plenty of time to make small changes to the livery, because even the first car hasn't been built yet.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 02:15 PM   #3875
Wilhem275
The Transporter

When I say that the Dutch network is a triumph of high capacity... just look at the first 2 minutes of this:

With the completion of the new bridge on the Woerden line, they'll be able to move 12 trains simultaneously

Old October 29th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #3876
Suburbanist
on the road

NS announced the test on running 6 Intercity trains per hour between Eindhoven and Utrecht have been successful. The change will be made permanent for the 2018 timetable.

Wilhem275, suasion liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 12:04 AM   #3877
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Sweet.

Today there are 4 tph from Amsterdam CS (of which 2 to Arnhem and 2 to Eindhoven) + 4 tph from Schiphol/Amsterdam Zuid (same).

With the current timetable the CS and Zuid trains run close to each other and then meet at the same platform in Utrecht.
Such setup allows for 15' connections from both stations to anywhere; which is obtained with a direct connection every 30' plus a cross-platform change every 30' as well, mixed together.

This setup will probably come to an end with the new offer, since a 10' frequency towards Eindhoven won't sync well with the 15' spacing towards Arnhem. There was an easy simmetry with this 2+2/2+2 system.

So, what is the plan for 2018?
Will all 6 Eindhoven trains come from CS, or 4 from CS + 2 from Zuid?
And what happens for the Arnhem branch?

It's a bit weird, because a 10' frequency is not quite common in the half-hour based system of the Dutch OV. It's either 15' or 7.5, to be evenly spaced.

Old October 30th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #3878
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Sweet.

Today there are 4 tph from Amsterdam CS (of which 2 to Arnhem and 2 to Eindhoven) + 4 tph from Schiphol/Amsterdam Zuid (same).

With the current timetable the CS and Zuid trains run close to each other and then meet at the same platform in Utrecht.
Such setup allows for 15' connections from both stations to anywhere; which is obtained with a direct connection every 30' plus a cross-platform change every 30' as well, mixed together.

This setup will probably come to an end with the new offer, since a 10' frequency towards Eindhoven won't sync well with the 15' spacing towards Arnhem. There was an easy simmetry with this 2+2/2+2 system.

So, what is the plan for 2018?
Will all 6 Eindhoven trains come from CS, or 4 from CS + 2 from Zuid?
And what happens for the Arnhem branch?

It's a bit weird, because a 10' frequency is not quite common in the half-hour based system of the Dutch OV. It's either 15' or 7.5, to be evenly spaced.
This is how trains are operating in the trial (every Wednesday).

Example timetable on Wednesdays mornings, from Utrecht to Eindhoven

09:03 - Amsterdam C. - Maastricht
09:09 - Schiphol - Nijmegen
09:14 - Amsterdam C - Eindhoven
09:24 - Schiphol - Venlo
09:24 - Amsterdam C. - Nijmegen
09:33 - Amsterdam C. - Maastricht
09:39 - Schiphol - Nijmegen
09:44 - Amsterdam C. - Eindhoven
09:54 - Schiphol - Venlo
09:54 - Amsterdam C. - Nijmegen

They are replacing some long waits in Utrecht by shorter dwell times (and I think people are supposed just to wait the next train in the same platform without having the whole simultaneous cross-platform thing, but then dwell times in Utrecht for some services were slashed from 9 to 3 minutes...). Transfers are still cross-platform but not simultaneous, most people wait for the next train to pull within 5 minutes.

Wilhem275 liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; October 30th, 2017 at 12:24 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 02:46 AM   #3879
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Thanks for the Wednesday tip. I built a quick comparison:

Assuming the rest of the offer will stay as it is, some notes:
1) Dwell times are pretty much the same. For the Schiphol - Nijmegen service they are virtually reduced from 5 to 3', but those 2' are just moved to the Bijlmer Arena stop. The rest of the timetable is identical.

2) Simultaneous cross-platform interchange is still possible every 30' instead of 15' (that's simple math, 2 being the GCF of 6 and 4).
The A'dam CS - Maastricht and Schiphol - Nijmegen don't match anymore.

3) Who loses from this?
- A'dam CS > Nijmegen still happens 4 times per hour, but not evenly spaced anymore. This adds 5' to some trips;
- same for Schiphol - Eindhoven
- Schiphol - south of Eindhoven gets messed up: it drops from 4 to 2 tph for stations between Eindhoven and Sittard, while Maastricht itself keeps the same 2 tph but gets +13'

The last point can be easily avoided by swapping around the Maastricht and Eindhoven services*, probably it's just a provisional situation.

There could also be some conflicts in other parts of the network, where the track will be shared by IC spaced 10/20/10/20 and Sprinters spaced 15/15/15/15 (e.g. between Bijlmer Arena and Uitgeest).

Overall it's clearly a compromise, a bit dirty but nothing too harmful. The gain in capacity on the main axis is really significant, compared with the rest of Europe.

* for this test they kept the current Alkmaar - Maastricht and just added an independent Amsterdam - Eindhoven to raise the frequency.
In the final timetable I wouldn't be surprised if they mixed the old and new services, getting an Alkmaar - Eindhoven and Amsterdam - Maastricht, just like they did last year splitting the Vlissingen - Lelystad in two overlapped branches.
All this while solving the Maastricht issue.

Last edited by Wilhem275; October 30th, 2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old October 30th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #3880
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

In the future the Nijmegen branch will get six trains as well, so it's kind of temporary.