daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #381
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think this is like a minor issue, like people whining about "bad" Thalys design because it has some seats without a direct unimpeded window view.
If you are claustrophobic, feel sick when travelling or just a tourist, that's a problem. And the solution would be easy - just allowing people to choose their palce when making ticket reservations...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #382
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
If you are claustrophobic, feel sick when travelling or just a tourist, that's a problem. And the solution would be easy - just allowing people to choose their palce when making ticket reservations...
I agree with choosing specific places when buying train tickets, like airplanes. Hope they deploy such a system in the near future. The more specific choice the costumer gets, the better.
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #383
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I agree with choosing specific places when buying train tickets, like airplanes. Hope they deploy such a system in the near future. The more specific choice the costumer gets, the better.
It already takes me about an hour to book a Eurostar, trying to find a seat next to a window, with a UK socket, pointing forward not too close to the toilet. It would take me all night if I had to make this decision on Thalys too.

Once I was travelling with a friend and ordering separately, we had to book at the same time on different computers and agree which seats to take, it took ages.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #384
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
It already takes me about an hour to book a Eurostar, trying to find a seat next to a window, with a UK socket, pointing forward not too close to the toilet. It would take me all night if I had to make this decision on Thalys too.

Once I was travelling with a friend and ordering separately, we had to book at the same time on different computers and agree which seats to take, it took ages.
But that is what usually happens in air travel as well. Some passengers don't care, will seat anywhere. Some will want a specific row and seat that has 1 1/2 inch longer pitch, and will spend a great deal of time looking at seat maps etc.

Whoever doesn't care will just book a random seat.

Whoever is claustrophobic will carefully choose a seat
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #385
Suburbanist
on the road

Reduced scheduled due to cold weather

NS is, again, in a debacle due to cold weather and (not much) snow. It hasn't snowed in The Netherlands for several days and, on top of that, there hadn't be much snow (just 30-years record dry cold).

This is their reduced scheduled at least until next Thrusday:

Old February 11th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #386
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Yeah, abysmal. I can't believe they can't just get their shit straight.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #387
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

More funnier is that NS is going to keep using this timetable next week, when temperatures are above 0 degrees celsius. Yes people, that means they'll be running the "emergency timetable for extreme weather conditions" when there's not even a bit of frost!

Oh, and trains that were cancelled don't count towards the statistics, either. Only those that were canceled in the first 48 hours of the temp timetable are...

If I'd be in Ms. Schultz position, I would seriously consider putting the Hoofdrailnet (core routes) up for tender, this is outrageous.
Old February 12th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #388
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
More funnier is that NS is going to keep using this timetable next week, when temperatures are above 0 degrees celsius. Yes people, that means they'll be running the "emergency timetable for extreme weather conditions" when there's not even a bit of frost!
You seem to be forgetting that a light drizzle has been forecast. Not ALL our tracks have roofs over them, you know? You can't expect NS trains to work OUTSIDE, can you?!?!
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #389
DarkLoki

Likes (Received): 41

Well you can put those routes up for tender but I don't think another company would be doing better in this situation. Faulty tracks are the responsibility of prorail which would not change. I believe they should have organized the tracks under a rijkswaterstaat like construction.
DarkLoki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #390
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoki View Post
Well you can put those routes up for tender but I don't think another company would be doing better in this situation. Faulty tracks are the responsibility of prorail which would not change. I believe they should have organized the tracks under a rijkswaterstaat like construction.
They should have let NS keep the tracks. Maybe in an arrangement where they are nominally owned by the state, but NS leases them. That way the needs of the infrastructure operator and the train operator can be better balanced.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #391
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 510

Meanwhile in Poland trains operate without any issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcinK View Post
Zdjęcia z 27.01.2012

Szklarska poręba Górna

(...)
and here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcinK View Post
Szklarska Poręba Jakuszyce

Czeski szynobus

Korytarz śnieżny (1,5m pokrywy śnieżnej) z peronu do tras biegowych.

Słynny narciarski przejazd kolejowy

Szynobus w najwyższym punkcie linii widziany z nieco niżej położonego peronu.

Widok z pociągu.
I have idea! Send NS responsible workers to Poland or Czech Republic and teach them about work and maintenance in winter conditions !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufoludek View Post
To jescze moje, powtórka z wfk
Harrachov, pociągi do Liberca i Szklarskiej

Jakuszyce, przystanek kolejowy

Co ciekawe, motoraki do Szklarskiej obsługiwane były przez 2 maszynistów. Jeden z przodu, jeden... na końcu składu.

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #392
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Well, railways that have high-mountains section and section in regions were snow are common in winter have some snowploughs, some diesel loco with special pantographs to clean centenary, so in case of severe snowfall they just use that snowploughs and special pantographs more intensively (and they can redistribute them over network), while such small railways in rather warm climate don't have such devices.
-H. Kürsch, 2002

Last edited by XAN_; February 13th, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #393
CitoyenNéerlandais

Likes (Received): 484

What is the frequence of this line? Or how many people travel with these trains? I don’t know it is comparable with the Netherlands. The railways in the Netherlands are one of the busiest in the world. And the problems are especially in the Randstad, where a lot of travellers are.
But I can’t say the NS and Prorail did it well. There were just too many problems.

But anyways, here is a video of the new DDZ-train:

CitoyenNéerlandais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #394
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

http://kirsidor.livejournal.com/19176.html - that's what really snowy railway looks like.
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #395
DarkLoki

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
They should have let NS keep the tracks. Maybe in an arrangement where they are nominally owned by the state, but NS leases them. That way the needs of the infrastructure operator and the train operator can be better balanced.
That is not very bad idea but it would also mean that the local operators would also need to maintain their own tracks. Also because maintaining the tracks is not profitable a lot of subsidies would flow to the semi-private NS. I stand by my point that ProRail should become a government agency. Why is there even a ProRail-top that is eligible for bonuses?

In the end I think it is not worth it to invest the amount of money needed to prevent a few bad days in a year. Ofcource right now the situation is absurd with the NS maintaining its bad weather timetable.
DarkLoki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #396
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitoyenNéerlandais View Post
What is the frequence of this line? Or how many people travel with these trains? I don’t know it is comparable with the Netherlands. The railways in the Netherlands are one of the busiest in the world. And the problems are especially in the Randstad, where a lot of travellers are.
But I can’t say the NS and Prorail did it well. There were just too many problems.

But anyways, here is a video of the new DDZ-train:

Is the DDZ totally new? It looks like they just retrofited a DD-AR?
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #397
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Is the DDZ totally new? It looks like they just retrofited a DD-AR?
It is
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #398
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

I think what you meant to say was "yes, they did refit DD-AR"?
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #399
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

DDZ/NID is a completely overhauled DD-AR train, yes.

In other news: there was a debate in the Dutch House of Representatives today regarding the future of the High Speed Line (HSL) and the rest of the Core Network (Hoofdrailnet, HRN). Minister Schultz is planning on integrated the HSL and HRN concessions and granting it to NS (Nederlandse Spoorwegen) for a period until Jan 1st, 2025. NS will pay € 101 million per year for the HSL and € 80 million for the HRN.

Some of the local services at the edges of the Core Network shall be decentralized, so the regions can take more control over the transport service offered in their area. Also, NS will be allowed to run regular intercity trains over the HSL and to further integrate the networks.

There was a lot of doubt regarding to whether or not this is the best bang for buck, and if passenger and tax payer interests are taken into account enough. Mrs Schultz managed to overturn most of the doubts regarding the HSL and HRN integration - which is necessary to save the current concessionaire (HSA) and thus to ensure service continuity.

However, the representatives weren't so sure about decentralization just yet. Some of them feel that Ms Schultz's plans aren't enough (they want more lines decentralized), while others would rather see all decentralized lines pulled back into the HRN. A seperate debate will follow about that.

She's been given the green light for the plans for the HSL and HRN integration. Good news for NS and all Hispeed staff and customers.
Old February 16th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #400
Suburbanist
on the road

Good news? No, bad news. That means the chances of new future big order of Fyra-like trains are slim. I mean: premium trains with reserved seats and everything.

I support decentralization: everything south of Eindhoven, north of Zaandam, north of Zwolle and east of Deventer should be put to tender to another operator. Maybe Virgin trains might b interested...