daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #401
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

"No additional money for railways", say minister.

I like the current Dutch cabinet for most of it. And I especially get impressed with our transportation minister

Quote:
[a] commission, under the leadership of Labour MP Attje Kuijken, was set up last year to look at problems on the railways and how to solve them.

Finances

The report said that at least €1.4b allocated for railway maintenance had been spent on roads, research and shoring up the finances of the high-speed train system, the NRC reported.

‘It is now totally unclear what state the railways are in because ProRail places responsibility with the contractors, without monitoring their performance.

The report also criticised transport minister Melanie Schultz van Haegen for only looking at the short term and focusing on cutting costs. She has also failed to keep parliament properly informed about the situation, the report said.

In a reaction, Schultz van Haegen said she would not invest more money in the railways. 'The report concludes that in international terms we have a good railway network,' she told MPs. 'I am doing all I can to keep that, and I think we can do it within the current budget.'
The aforementioned report also discuss a blame-game between ProRail and NS and who should change practices to make the system more reliable. Given the government is not willing to pay, fare increases are the only reasonable way to achieve it.

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #402
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I like the current Dutch cabinet for most of it. And I especially get impressed with our transportation minister
Our? One day you're Brazilian, the next day you're Italian, and now you're Dutch? :P
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #403
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
now you're Dutch? :P
I'll rephrase it: the minister of the territory I'm currently living in. I'll get my permanent resident status soon, though.
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #404
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
+1 for your sarcasm.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:47 PM   #405
Go Ahead Eagles

Likes (Received): 1172

Deventer Station

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Intercitytrein Zwolle - Roosendaal.
image hosted on flickr

Stoptrein Apeldoorn - Almelo
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:32 AM   #406
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

Dutch train crash

Almost 125 people were injured, many seriously, when two Dutch commuter trains crashed head-on in Amsterdam.

There were no immediate reports of fatalities, but of those injured, 13 suffered major injuries while 43 or 44 were badly injured, a spokesman said. About 70 suffered minor injuries.

A trauma helicopter was used to bring the injured to hospital, a spokesman for railways group

The trains did not serve Schiphol international airport, the NS spokesman added, but the accident disrupted airport train service.

Some people were lifted from the wreckage by cranes while others were led away from the crash site in protective wraps to dozens of waiting ambulances, while police cars and fire trucks stood by.

"We heard a loud bang. I went outside and saw people on the street in panic," a woman at the scene told broadcaster AT5.

"We then saw what had happened. Quite quickly there were emergency services at the scene. It was managed well. Some people had head wounds, others were limping."

One of the trains involved in the crash serves the cities of Den Helder and Nijmegen, while the other runs between Amsterdam and Uitgeest, the railways spokesman said.

Netherlands public broadcaster NOS aired video footage showing two trains that had collided.

- Reuters

-------

I'm glad that no one was killed at least.
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:14 AM   #407
Suburbanist
on the road

Hopefully they will install ETCS network-wide to avoid the repetition of this tragedy.

Clearly the ATB system is not suitable anymore...
Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:12 AM   #408
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Hopefully they will install ETCS network-wide to avoid the repetition of this tragedy.

Although i agree that ETCS should be installed nation-wide, let's wait for the results of the examination to see what the cause was.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM   #409
pietje01

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

And let's install something to avoid collisions on the highways, because lots of accidents happen there daily.
pietje01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:47 PM   #410
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietje01 View Post
And let's install something to avoid collisions on the highways, because lots of accidents happen there daily.
What does road traffic have to do with this accident? It was not a grade-crossing collision.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:33 PM   #411
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1592

I do have to agree with Suburbanist on this one. As much expensive adapting the whole network to ECTS might be, the life of a single person is worth it, and when trains get in the equation we're not talking about one but of many life's at risk.
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:06 PM   #412
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
I do have to agree with Suburbanist on this one. As much expensive adapting the whole network to ECTS might be, the life of a single person is worth it, and when trains get in the equation we're not talking about one but of many life's at risk.
And that's not even including the improved capacity of the lines (saving lives might not convince many managers/politicians, but money generally does ).
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #413
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
And that's not even including the improved capacity of the lines (saving lives might not convince many managers/politicians, but money generally does ).
Only with Level 2.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #414
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Only with Level 2.
That goes without saying.
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #415
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Now there is a reported fatality, I also read that a reporter on the train heard the driver admit a red light might have been missed.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #416
sekelsenmat

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
+1 for your sarcasm.
He was not being sarcastic. Suburbanist is a known anti-rail troll which has nothing better to do then to annoy the legitimate users of this forum.

My blog about trains, politics and urbanism.
sekelsenmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #417
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekelsenmat

He was not being sarcastic. Suburbanist is a known anti-rail troll which has nothing better to do then to annoy the legitimate users of this forum.
No-one in their right mind would ever dare to say to be impressed by Ms. Schultz's way of running the Ministry of Infrastructure. She is the worst minister that's been in that position for a long, long time.

Fortunately there's a good chance that we'll get rid of her within a few months, as the Dutch cabinet has resigned (once again) and new elections are coming up.

This leaves the new concession for the Hoofdrailnet (HRN, the core train routes currently served by NS) and the HSL up in the air: no definitive contract has been inked yet. Meanwhile Maatschappij Voor Beter OV, a passenger interest group, has now called to declare the HRN/HSL-plan 'controversial' as it impacts the country for 10th years to come.

If enough politicians agree with Voor Beter OV and declare the plan controversial, Ms. Schultz would no longer be allowed to take a decision about the subject. In that case NS is back to square 1: a new cabinet might have a different look on the future of railways in the Netherlands.
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #418
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
I'll rephrase it: the minister of the territory I'm currently living in. I'll get my permanent resident status soon, though.
Oh god does that mean you'll be allowed to vote?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #419
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Oh god does that mean you'll be allowed to vote?
No.

I can already vote (as any other EU citizen) in local elections. But I don't, since I don't agree with this rule in general (giving foreigners voting rights).

Only citizens can vote for national elections.
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #420
pietje01

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
What does road traffic have to do with this accident? It was not a grade-crossing collision.
Because road traffic causes more deaths and injuries per passenger*kilometer, so I think it would be better to invest the money in a system that prohibits collisions on highways.

Of course it would be nice to have a nation-wide (or even EU-wide) ETCS implementation, but let's not forget that rail travel is still more safe then road traffic so the investment should be where the greatest gain is possible.
pietje01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote