daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #461
Ale Sasso

Likes (Received): 0

Yes... I think the same.
Ale Sasso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #462
Go Ahead Eagles

Likes (Received): 1172

Schiphol Station

Old May 4th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #463
CitoyenNéerlandais

Likes (Received): 484

Thans for posting
Schiphol station is one of my favorite stations.
It has a special atmosphere, more different than other stations.
CitoyenNéerlandais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #464
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

A question about long distance trains ending in Schiphol (as the EC from Berlin): are they recovered inside the station or at Hoofddorp facility?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #465
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275
A question about long distance trains ending in Schiphol (as the EC from Berlin): are they recovered inside the station or at Hoofddorp facility?
All trains that terminate at Schiphol Airport railway station continue to the Hoofddorp yard. Doing the cleaning and recovery at Schiphol would keep the platform occupied for too long, Schiphol desperately needs the capacity.
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #466
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

They actually need some extra platforms there, especially with the prospect of future Amsterdam-London services that could start in Amsterdam Zuid and call in Schiphol as well (needing sealed platforms).
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #467
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62953

An extra platform would be welcome, but it will certainly not happen in the next 5 years. Mostly because it will be extremely difficult to build a new platform underneath Schiphol Plaza without causing too much disruption. Since there aren't any plans for it now you can expect it to take over 10 years from a decision to the completion of an extra platform.

In the last few days Eurostar repeated their wish to start a service to Amsterdam within 5 years, it doesn't look like they are going to wait for an extra platform to start the service. Apparently it's not that important, or maybe they will just skip Schiphol and focus on passengers from London to Amsterdam and vice versa and not on connecting airline passengers.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #468
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
They actually need some extra platforms there, especially with the prospect of future Amsterdam-London services that could start in Amsterdam Zuid and call in Schiphol as well (needing sealed platforms).

Yeah, even without a Amsterdam-London service Schiphol needs extra platforms.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #469
AlexNL

Extra platforms at Schiphol would be very welcome, but I don't see that happening in the next 5 to 10 years. I wouldn't really worry about the ICE and Eurostar to/from London: DB already confirmed that ICE will not be calling at Schiphol Airport (only Amsterdam and Rotterdam). Eurostar is also unlikely to stop there.

There's not really much demand for a service from Schiphol to London: if you're already at Schiphol, a plane gets you there faster. Even if you go last minute. Passengers that wish to travel by train are coming from other places anyway (since nobody lives at Schiphol) and coming from Utrecht / Almere there are direct trains to Amsterdam Centraal.
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #470
Suburbanist
on the road

In any case, I read about some plans to run Den Haag Centraal - Schiphol - Lelystad - Zwolle trains via the new Hanzelijn when it opens later this year. How would they accommodate these extra trains?

Maybe they could build a second Schiphol train station only for high-speed and international trains, not far from the current one and connected to Schiphol Plaza with a moving walkway.
Old May 17th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #471
AlexNL

Schiphol Airport still has some platform capacity left to deal with the proposed changes in the timetable. Some trains will also change their terminus (such as the intercity to Berlin, which will go to Amsterdam Central starting december 2012). This page (in Dutch) outlines all the proposed changes.

Furthermore, the Dutch government is investing in the area. The SAAL-project (Schiphol - Amsterdam - Almere - Lelystad) aims to provide more capacity along the route by investing until 2020 - plans go even further than that. More information at Rijksoverheid, in Dutch.
Old May 17th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #472
Suburbanist
on the road

Interesting. They are getting rid of many trains that now are used in couple/uncouple schemes in Sittard and Zwolle, transforming these pairs in single routes.
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:45 PM   #473
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Quote:
In any case, I read about some plans to run Den Haag Centraal - Schiphol - Lelystad - Zwolle trains via the new Hanzelijn when it opens later this year. How would they accommodate these extra trains?
Those trains are already in service, except right now they terminate in Lelystad.

Quote:
Maybe they could build a second Schiphol train station only for high-speed and international trains, not far from the current one.
That already exists. It's called Amsterdam Zuid.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:55 PM   #474
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Extra platforms at Schiphol would be very welcome, but I don't see that happening in the next 5 to 10 years. I wouldn't really worry about the ICE and Eurostar to/from London: DB already confirmed that ICE will not be calling at Schiphol Airport (only Amsterdam and Rotterdam). Eurostar is also unlikely to stop there.

There's not really much demand for a service from Schiphol to London: if you're already at Schiphol, a plane gets you there faster. Even if you go last minute. Passengers that wish to travel by train are coming from other places anyway (since nobody lives at Schiphol) and coming from Utrecht / Almere there are direct trains to Amsterdam Centraal.
Will ICE trains go through The Netherlands to London? When will occur? Any precise date for introduction this service?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 06:13 PM   #475
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62953

The DB wants to start the London - Amsterdam/Frankfurt service in December 2015.

The train will run combined between London and Brussels where it will be split into a train to Amsterdam and a train to Cologne-Frankfurt.
http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/ab...n-london.shtml

Quote:
Maybe they could build a second Schiphol train station only for high-speed and international trains, not far from the current one and connected to Schiphol Plaza with a moving walkway.
You know what, this is actually not a bad idea. There's room here for 2 extra tracks with platforms on the outside of the tunnel. Since the airport wants to add another terminal and piers this location will be closer to the terminals then it currently is. An automatic people mover can connect this station to Schiphol Plaza, which can also be used by the people working in the offices on Schiphol to give them better access to the current train station.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:51 PM   #476
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435
The DB wants to start the London - Amsterdam/Frankfurt service in December 2015.
And Eurostar will be coming to Amsterdam in 2014, with their brand new Velaro e320, which is 400 meters long.
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:44 AM   #477
Suburbanist
on the road

2014 is soon.

Do they have any plans about how to deal with the need of the enclosed platforms for customs/immigration control in Amsterdam?
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:15 AM   #478
AlexNL

There haven't been any public announcements about that, yet. But I see several possibilities:

1) They temporarily close off a platform in Amsterdam and Rotterdam when a Eurostar train is close to departure (they do this at the railway stations in the Alpes region, when Eurostar goes there during winter)
2) They perform customs checking on board the train, kicking people who aren't supposed to be on board out in Rotterdam or Brussels
3) They move the security theatre to St. Pancras International and other British stations where Eurostar will call

I think the decision that Eurostar will make, will also be taken by Deutsche Bahn once they start operating ICE trains to Londen in 2015/2016.
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:41 AM   #479
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
There haven't been any public announcements about that, yet. But I see several possibilities:

1) They temporarily close off a platform in Amsterdam and Rotterdam when a Eurostar train is close to departure (they do this at the railway stations in the Alpes region, when Eurostar goes there during winter)
2) They perform customs checking on board the train, kicking people who aren't supposed to be on board out in Rotterdam or Brussels
3) They move the security theatre to St. Pancras International and other British stations where Eurostar will call

I think the decision that Eurostar will make, will also be taken by Deutsche Bahn once they start operating ICE trains to Londen in 2015/2016.
Lets hope it's
4) they get rid of the security theatre.

1) is not an option. In Bourg st. Maurice it may be possible to reserve a platform for an hour but this is not possible in the Netherlands.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:08 AM   #480
Suburbanist
on the road

UK is not part of Schengen, thus this is not a decision left up to Eurostar, but to the British Border Force.

Modern passport control in the scope of Frontex require facilities that are not available in a train, such as x-ray, integrated databases etc.

They could transform the outer Amsterdam Centraal platform into an "international train only", with x-rays, controlled access (no passengers without tickets) and, when Eurostar is departing, passport/immigration control.