daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2012, 08:32 AM   #481
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Modern passport control in the scope of Frontex require facilities that are not available in a train, such as x-ray, integrated databases etc.
Border guards checking trains entering the Schengen area from the outside use mobile terminals. There is no reason why they can't be used on the Schengen - UK border. And where do you get the idea that immigration control requires x-ray machines?
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:54 AM   #482
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

To verify against drugs and other smuggled products or firearms.
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:49 AM   #483
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

At Amsterdam Centraal, platform 15 is already outside of the OV-chipkaart tourniquet zone. It looks like platform 15 will thus be used for international trains. Perhaps something can be done there, by sealing off platform 15a.

Unlike Brussels-South and Paris Nord, there won't be as much trains to London per day. I also think average ridership will be lower as taking the plane from Amsterdam will be as fast as taking the train - if you include the theatre.
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:44 AM   #484
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
That's not really an issue with the UK-EU border though. the UK is mostly concerned about illegal immigrants.

Every time I drive my car onto a ferry to the UK, the British border control agents (who, for some reason, are stationed on the continent) ask me to open my booth so they can check for illegal immigrants. They never even attempt to search the vehicle for drugs, despite the fact that I'm a 28 year old man traveling by myself with my own car and as such would be more than eligible for a good checking with dogs and mirrors and what have you.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM   #485
K_

Quote:
That's the job of customs, not immigration, and you don't have to pass through customs when going from the continent to the UK.
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #486
Bartje

Likes (Received): 3

New trains for Vechtdallijnen (Vecht Valley Lines)

Roll-out of first GTW for Vechtdallijnen (NL)
Arriva and Stadler Rail are today celebrating the joint roll-out of the first electric articulated multiple-unit train (EMU-GTW) in the Dutch provinces of Overijssel and Drenthe. In mid-2010, Arriva Netherlands placed an order with Stadler for 14 EMU-GTWs for the Vechtdallijnen concession. These vehicles have been developed in many areas and, as such, are improved versions of the Arriva GTW trains that are already successfully in service.

Arriva is one of the largest public transport service providers in Europe. Their buses and trains carry more than 1.5 billion passengers in 12 countries every year. The company was taken over by Deutsche Bahn in August 2010. In June 2010, Arriva Netherlands ordered a total of 38 GTW articulated multiple-unit trains from Stadler, of which 24 were for the province of Gelderland and the remaining 14 for the provinces of Overijssel and Drenthe. This brings the total number of GTW trains ordered by Arriva for use in various parts of the Netherlands since 2005 to 99.

Christian König, Sales Director Switzerland and Netherlands of Stadler Rail Group, is pleased about the development: “We are proud to bring Stadler state-of-the-art low-floored vehicles into service in two other provinces in the Netherlands. Once again, Stadler was able to process the order quickly. This was only possible thanks to the real commitment and enthusiasm of all those involved. I am very grateful to all of them.”

Anne Hettinga, Managing Director Arriva Netherlands: “It is a milestone in the implementation when the first trains coming out of the factory. With the Roll Out we let our clients see that we are on schedule with the implementation. In additition, our clients can see with their own eyes that we are on schedule and can judge that the trains to all the requirements and extra offers we have done. “

The vehicles are essentially based on the various EMU-GTW trains delivered to Arriva since 2005. The trains are air-conditioned and 75% low-floored. Legroom is very generous in all compartments. Up to four trains can run at the same time in multiple-unit operation. The vehicles are made of lightweight aluminium. The vehicles have public WLAN, five TFT monitors in each carriage a working area and a silence area. The trains are also designed in accordance with the TSI standard for disabled access.

Old June 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #487
Suburbanist
on the road

Commuters to be 'paid' to stay off trains during rush hour

So they want to pay up to €7/day for those not commuting during rush hour...

A national network transport pass costs € 390/month by the way...

Quote:

Train season ticket holders are to be offered up to €500 to avoid travelling in rush hour in an effort to reduce overcrowding, the Telegraaf reports on Tuesday.

Four-month trials of the rebate scheme will run in five areas: Arnhem-Nijmegen, Roermond- Maastricht, greater Amsterdam, Overijssel and Gelderland, the paper says, quoting trade publication OV magazine.

People with an annual season ticket will ‘earn’ €3 every time they avoid morning or evening rush hour and €7 if they stay off the train in busy periods all day.

The trials, which will cost €7m and involve 35,000 season ticket holders, are being run by the NS and regional train firms Syntus and Veolia. It will start in September.
Source translated here
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #488
Suburbanist
on the road

NS released a brief stating they want to phase out paper tickets completely be the end of 2013. As part of that plan, NS will introduce a one-trip-only simpler RFID card to be sold at station ticket machines for the occasional users.
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #489
K_

Quote:
NS released a brief stating they want to phase out paper tickets completely be the end of 2013. As part of that plan, NS will introduce a one-trip-only simpler RFID card to be sold at station ticket machines for the occasional users.
Have they figured out what they intend to do with people buying tickets abroad? And how will I be able to buy a ticket over the internet?
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #490
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Have they figured out what they intend to do with people buying tickets abroad? And how will I be able to buy a ticket over the internet?
Couple months ago they told of having a pair or manned gates in stations that will be fully gated (such as Rotterdam, Amsterdam Centraal and Utrecht) and have international traffic.

As for departing passengers, I think they could easily devise a system where you enter a code in a ticket machine and it immediately releases your disposable one-ticket RFID card.

The next short-term steps for NS, as it said, are to put some special rail passes in the RFID card. The most used passes are already integrated with the card though since 2011.
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #491
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

The Netherlands is a country really small by area and has several short distance international traffic, e.g. Euregiobahn Aachen - Heerlen once an hour. How can such a system handle that kind of travels?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #492
K_

Quote:
Couple months ago they told of having a pair or manned gates in stations that will be fully gated (such as Rotterdam, Amsterdam Centraal and Utrecht) and have international traffic.
In principle all stations have international traffic. And than there are those that buy tickets for travel within the Netherlands from railways and travel agents outside of the Netherlands.
For example: Someone going to from Switzerland to Den Helder might well buy a ticket Schiphol - Den Helder at ticket office of Zürich Airport...

NS can stop selling paper tickets for domestic travel, but they can't stop accepting them. Not without a COTIF renegotiation...
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #493
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
The Netherlands is a country really small by area and has several short distance international traffic, e.g. Euregiobahn Aachen - Heerlen once an hour. How can such a system handle that kind of travels?
First I don't know if Heerlen will be gated.

Second, they plan of fitting the train sets used on these regional routes with OV Chipkaart machines.
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #494
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
One trip RFID cards have been used in Moscow for quite a while now. Seems a bit of a waste but I guess electronics are that cheap now. I can see issues, as NL is not an island. Still a good solution that makes it easier for occasional users and tourists.
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #495
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
First I don't know if Heerlen will be gated.

Second, they plan of fitting the train sets used on these regional routes with OV Chipkaart machines.
Sorry, I have used trains in the Netherlands only a very few times: is there not any ticket check on the train board? Or do they mean that board check is made by living people so that it can't make any trouble to check paper tickets there?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #496
Suburbanist
on the road

They will keep checking the electronic cards, which need to be validated on totems.

Some stations will be gated (no access to platform without validated card), others will not.
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #497
AlexNL

New Sprinter EMUs are on their way. NS has issued an "Invitation to tender" for new single deck sprinter EMUs. Delivery should commence from october 2016.

Railway Gazette
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #498
Suburbanist
on the road

Interesting... too bad Dutch passengers will have to put up with those old crap vehicles until they are replaced by those being ordered.

I'm referring to these:

image hosted on flickr

plan V NS Oisterwijk 15-1-11 by Hans Klomp, on Flickr

Last edited by Suburbanist; July 6th, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #499
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63103

I rather have those then the modernized original sprinters or the DDAR local double deckers. But the last time I was on a mat '64 should already be like summer last year. But I don't live in the South where they are still used on most of the local services.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #500
AlexNL

The requirements for the new trains:
Quote:
1. Single deck EMU’s for commuter services based upon an existing concept with proven technology. The EMU’s must comply with the usual standards including but not limited to TSI, UIC, NEN, DIN etc., Dutch and European legislation regulations and Dutch authorization regulations.
2. To create flexibility in the capacity per train, it will be considered to order at least two lengths of EMU’s, to be determined by the number of coaches per EMU. At least the following lengths are considered, one length of EMU with a seat capacity of approximately 150 seats, and the other length of EMU will have a seat capacity of approximately between 200 – 250 seats.
3. Other characteristics:
a) Service speed of 160 km/h;
b) Mutual coupling between EMU’s of this tender;
c) High acceleration;
d) High deceleration;
e) Short stopping times including quick boarding and alighting times;
f) Standard 1 500 V DC;
g) Authorized for the Dutch railway network;
h) Level entrance at platform height;
i) An as much as possible leveled floor throughout the EMU;
j) Modern in appearance;
k) Transparent and "open" interior; The gangway width between two coaches shall be as wide as possible, but with a minimum of approximately 2 m;
l) Containing a toilet;
m) Low life cycle costs;
n) High reliability;
o) High availability;
p) Prepared for ERTMS;
q) Fit for use in Dutch weather conditions.
Entire document