daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #581
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

That map shows only the Intercity network. It shows the mess created in Zwolle with services diverging to Groningen and Leeuwards and made stop in Zwolle for up to 11 minutes so they can be matched with services to/from the other northern city.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #582
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Here is a similar (but uglier) PDF map that shows the train routes. It shows non-intercity lines as grey lines. The dots next to the lines show the number of trains per hours per line (off-peak).
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #583
Suburbanist
on the road

At least they stopped coupling/de-coupling trains. There is no longer any train doing that in NL now, I think.
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #584
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The youngsters that were taken into custody under suspicion of arson in that VIRM train a couple of days ago have been released. They are no longer suspected, the focus of the investigation has shifted towards the train itself.
Old January 5th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #585
steedness
Utilisteur not registèred

Likes (Received): 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
The map is incomplete, it looks like it only shows the intercity network as operated by NS. There are many railway lines that have local trains operated by Veolia, Arriva, NS and others.

You can find an interactive map or a PDF version.
TY
But why the line 26 is considered as intercite when it has so many stops in the Zealand?
steedness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #586
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63112

Basically it's a true Intercity from Amsterdam to Roosendaal, from there it just continues into Zeeland stopping at all stations because there are no local trains from Roosendaal to Vlissingen.

Until recently there was 1 IC train per hour that only stopped at a few stations in Zeeland and an all stop local train per hour. The current situation is basically a compromise, they wanted to give Vlissingen and Middelburg 2 IC trains to Amsterdam but the number of passengers is not high enough to also a local train next to 2 full IC trains per hour. The same goes for the other way around, there are not enough passengers for 2 local trains per hour plus an IC. So they came up with this solution combining the IC and the local train.

This has also been done on the Zwolle - Leeuwarden, Amsterdam - Den Helder and the Eindhoven - Venlo routes, it's pretty common on the routes to smaller cities on the outskirts of the Netherlands.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 05:52 PM   #587
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #588
Suburbanist
on the road

One of those locations is less than 1km from my house
Old January 14th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #589
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
One of those locations is less than 1km from my house
Really? I thought you lived in Brazil or the AnsaldoBreda factory?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #590
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

A question about the Hanzelijn: when Zwolle - Almelo railway will reopen, is there any plan to move there Amsterdam - Berlin IC services, via Lelystad - Zwolle - Almelo?

It would be some 5 km longer, but mostly at 200 km/h as permitted by the coaches (with adequate locos of course). This way that agony-slow train would be a little faster and we'd get a higher use of the line.
People on Hilversum - Amersfoorst - Deventer route would still be able to use the service using NS-IC services from Amsterdam changing in Almelo, with almost no time travel increase.

Then, in a second-phase, Zwolle - Almelo could be doubled and speeded up, since it's pretty straight and in the middle of nothing.

This, together with speed-up of Amsterdam - Utrecht for ICEs, would make up a nice speedy network without any need for further HSLs. What do you think?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #591
AlexNL

Rerouting the InterCity to Berlin over the Hanzelijn seems unlikely to me: there are no overhead wires between Zwolle and Wierden (which is close to Almelo) and there are no plans to put those up.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #592
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Gosh, didn't think there could be diesel lines in NL!

Well, you could still do that, but improving the whole Zwolle - Wierden line first... and I don't know if it's worth spending such money for a couple of ICs every two hours (even if an hourly service would be nicer).

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #593
Suburbanist
on the road

Some train driver's union is crying foul of ProRail plans to speed up through trains.

The speed limit for through trains in many stations will be increased from 40 to 60 or 80km/h. This affects mostly freight trains passing through big stations where almost all passenger trains stop.

Drivers say it is unsafe, ProRail argues the union complain is "ridiculous"

The measure is aiming at having more leeway to prevent delayed trains from making other trains late.
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #594
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Gosh, didn't think there could be diesel lines in NL!
There are more, such as in Gelderland (almost all lines served by Arriva or Breng), all lines in Groningen and Friesland that aren't served by NS trains, the Maaslijn (Nijmegen - Venlo) and there are some more.
Quote:
Well, you could still do that, but improving the whole Zwolle - Wierden line first... and I don't know if it's worth spending such money for a couple of ICs every two hours (even if an hourly service would be nicer).
Nobody is going to invest money if only 14 trains a day would benefit from it. If the line would be electrified NS could use other rolling stock (such as EMUs) for the service between Zwolle and Almelo, but there's little need for that.
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #595
Mandaje

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Rerouting the InterCity to Berlin over the Hanzelijn seems unlikely to me: there are no overhead wires between Zwolle and Wierden (which is close to Almelo) and there are no plans to put those up.
The provincial government actually has plans for electrification and will start soon with an through review. http://overijssel.notudoc.nl/cgi-bin...on=view/id=345 (only Dutch) To fit an intercity hourly (which is in the Netherlands the minimum usable frequency) you have to double track the stretch between Raalte and Nijverdal. Also an international train over a single tracked line with a very tight schedule is not very reliable, especially the train from Berlin.

But certainly it would be an huge improvement, half of the material is already procured (DB ICx) and it could shave of more than half an hour to Amsterdam and further from Twente.
Mandaje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #596
Wilhem275
The Transporter

If, in the future, those ICs could be developed with 200 km/h, ETCS, 15 + 1,5 kV locos... then you may cut a lot of time, especially those stupid 18' in Bad Bentheim.

After that, NL would have nice international links in every direction.

Old January 15th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #597
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
If, in the future, those ICs could be developed with 200 km/h, ETCS, 15 + 1,5 kV locos... then you may cut a lot of time, especially those stupid 18' in Bad Bentheim.

After that, NL would have nice international links in every direction.
The rolling stock is already being procured: ICx. Deutsche Bahn has ordered 12 trainsets of 7 coaches for use within the Netherlands. DB is expecting to commission them in 2016, they will replace the current loco-hauled intercity. A stop at Bad Bentheim will remain, I think, but it can be a lot quicker than currently.

Too bad for the smokers
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #598
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Eh eh

Didn't know some ICx will be NL-compatible. Of course that solution takes down a lot of problems.

Old January 15th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #599
Suburbanist
on the road

DB is sending sub-par rolling stock to NL. They should use Velaros, AGVs etc. on that service, since trains use HSL east of Hannover.
Old January 15th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #600
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Why? More than half of the travel is made on 140-200 lines... ICEs are just 18' faster, and they don't stop in Stendal and Wolfsburg (and those who do are not much faster than ICs).

ICx at 230 will be better, but right now a Velaro instead of an IC with BR 101 would be a waste.