daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #621
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

There's a chance that a new operator will bring back the old Beneluxtrein, albeit being a bit different. The city counsil of The Hague has requested train paths from The Hague to Brussels South via Rotterdam and Roosendaal, calling at all former stops of the Beneluxtrein. The city counsil is in talks with 7 (!) different potential operators, the idea is that one of them will later on start to operate services.

Source (in Dutch): De Standaard

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #622
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Hurrah! Let's hit the 2nd hand Japanese trains market and get this baby moving!
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #623
AlexNL

One of the fastest ways to get these trains rolling is by leasing Traxx locomotives and old German InterRegio rolling stock. There are literally hundreds of RIC compliant coaches for lease in Germany, all they'll probably need is an interior refurbishment.

Ironically enough, some of the rolling stock that is available is former NS rolling stock (type Aimz, nowadays known as Bimz).
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #624
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

I'm familiar with Aimz but I don't like them very much. The German carriages that qualify, are they roughly of the same make as Aimz that are often used for the intercity between Schiphol and Berlin?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #625
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Can a city council request train paths?

Are there train paths available, especially between Rotterdam Centraal and Rotterdam Lombardijen and between Antwerpen and Mechelen?
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #626
AlexNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I'm familiar with Aimz but I don't like them very much. The German carriages that qualify, are they roughly of the same make as Aimz that are often used for the intercity between Schiphol and Berlin?
It was just a thought of mine, I'm not saying that they will actually use those coaches.

There are quite a lot of coaches available in Germany, even restaurant cars and Talgo sleeper trains. Just browse through any lease company's (such as HEROS Rail) catalog and you'll see what I mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Can a city council request train paths?

Are there train paths available, especially between Rotterdam Centraal and Rotterdam Lombardijen and between Antwerpen and Mechelen?
The councillor responsible for transporation in and around The Hague is to form a new company ("B.V.") that requests the train paths. Once an operator is found who is willing to operate the route, the company is transferred to that operator so that the city council is not involved.

The request for train paths has come early enough (the deadline for that is April 8th) so the paths haven't been allocated yet. If after the deadline there aren't enough paths available, the infrastructure manager (ProRail and/or Infrabel) are required to act upon that: either increase capacity, reschedule, or deny requests. If the IM can't increase capacity on its own (for instance, because it needs an extra track) it is required to file a congestion statement. This is happening more and more frequently in The Netherlands as other operators are taking over from NS.
Old January 16th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #627
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62990

In line with the European regulations this new venture will have to get paths even if they are in short demand. It will be interesting if the NS or the NMBS will have to give paths away.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #628
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Well, some people will never get over the elimination of compartments or use or modern open plans on 2nd class cars.

But I don't think nostalgia for bygone era should dictate refurbishment plans...
If you don't like to ride in compartment and you have to then it seems to be a big problem but when there are people who prefer compartment but there is no then it doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

The good thing about trains is that train can offer different designs and colours, it's a strength that wise operators use. They give open plans + compartments + other styles so people can choose, trains are for people. BTW ICE and IC isn't a suburban train.

Let's make same style and colored cloth for everybody, so economical.... you seem to have a good point of view.
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:03 PM   #629
Suburbanist
on the road

The Netherlands is completing 6 days of operation under a "special winter schedule".

After a huge debacle last 2 winters, they decided to ramp up preparation to winter conditions.

In a nutshell, it means they break long train runs into smaller segments so that passengers have to take more transfers (and some ICs are cancelled), but propagation of delays is mostly avoided - which brought the whole networks to a standstill Jan. 2011 for instance.

They have some new protocols by which ProRail communicates expected track conditions to the rail operators.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:21 PM   #630
AlexNL

NS has to get its act together and fast, because passengers are getting fed up with this. Not only did NS lower frequencies or break up train routes (which is understandable up to a certain extent), they seem to be unable to adjust to the capacity demand this places on other trains. They also seem to be unable to get the right rolling stock in the right place.

Yesterday I witnessed an intercity train that consisted of 6 single deck ICMm coaches... its usual consist is 10 to 12 double deck VIRM coaches. Other trains were sliced in half as well. All those trains have to carry sometimes up to twice their normal load.

The winter cutouts are utter and complete bullshit that are an insult to the passengers. Especially with stable weather.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:24 PM   #631
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

So Trenitalia's not the only moronic company who cuts trains "in advance" of winter weather... even if no winter weather shows up...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:31 PM   #632
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
So Trenitalia's not the only moronic company who cuts trains "in advance" of winter weather... even if no winter weather shows up...
NS has a criteria of predicted snow storms and/or very low temperatures (below -5 oC) to enact the preventive measures.

The stated goal is to avoid leaving thousands of passengers stranded for ours or even overnight on train station away from their homes.

Netherlands has a somehow more predictable (on the short term, 8-12h in advance) weather than Italy because it lacks orography-induced storms (aka, no mountain ridges to clog/disrupt low altitude air masses)
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #633
Rayancito
Spanish Muslim

Likes (Received): 1143

Quote:
The Betuweroute is exceeding its target. Almost 600 trains/week are using it nowadays, to the point the line to Emmerich (Germany) is almost saturated and can't handle many more trains.
There is a very easy solution to force German to act, just build at the end of the line on the Dutch side a truck load that will receive the trains that the germans canīt handle. Then you will use the most polluting trucks for this matter, especially for final destinations within Germany. The germans will build their side inmediatly, believe me.
Rayancito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #634
DingeZ

Likes (Received): 61

You would need hundreds of trucks to do that and a lot of space for a truck load. Trains are up to 750m and DB wants to make them even longer in the future.
DingeZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #635

Likes (Received): 1036

It was one big disaster I had 370 minutes of delay last week and this week 240 minutes between Leiden and Delft. The problem wasn't even the weather. Instead of 4 intercities per hour there were only 2 per hour but instead of making them longer they became shorter. So if you made it in the train it was cramped and if you didn't, you've had to wait for another half hour.

A picture I took last week at Leiden central station. Both trains were full and all the passengers had to wait for half an hour for the next train.

3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #636
Suburbanist
on the road

Transport ministry sat on critical railway report for seven months

This time, it is ProRail who's in the hot seat

Quote:
The transport ministry sat on a highly critical report about rail operator ProRail for seven months.

The paper used freedom of information legislation to access the transport inspectors report, which states ProRail has accepted such cheap tenders for rail maintenance that extra delays and accidents may be inevitable.

The report's findings are in line with a briefing sent by rail maintenance company Strukton to parliament in November, the paper points out. At the time, junior transport minister Wilma Mansveld said the letter was 'without foundation and premature'.

A spokesman for Mansveld told the Volkskrant the report had been kept secret because ProRail had promised to make improvements and take action to stem the downward price spiral.

According to Strukton director Diederik Schonebaum, those efforts resulted in failure. 'Someone needs to bang their fists on the table,' he said. 'If they did we will not have to hold a parliamentary inquiry in 10 years to find out why there are so many delays and accidents on the railways.'

The Dutch railway network is owned by the state, with NS responsible for passenger services and ProRail for the tracks. Strukton used to be owned by the NS but is now in private hands.

Current transport minister Melanie Schultz was responsible for the railways until the new government took office at the beginning of November and the job was switched to her deputy.
Something must have gone wrong. If maintenance standards are properly specified on a tender, then low prices shouldn't lead to low quality (of if they do, the maintenance company can be fined and sued for damages).

The problem, I think, is that old mentality dies hard, and ProRail did a half-baked job in correctly specifying its standards as if it were still part of a giant state company (where standards can be kept per political discretion, not contracts properly designed to achieve certain goals).

It is like ProRail acted as if Strukton was still a government agency with a monopoly

I think NS should be privatized once and for all, so that the energy of Dutch bureaucracy can be shifted to put ProRail, the infrastructure company, in better shape.
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #637
Suburbanist
on the road

Railway to be converted to metro

This was already expected but was not formally announced

Quote:
A 24 km railway between Schiedam Centrum and Hoek van Holland might be converted for metro operation. Such a proposal has been approved by Stadsregio Rotterdam and the municipalities of Maassluis, Vlaardingen, Schiedam and Rotterdam.

The cost for the conversion is expected to be €318m, including the purchase of 18 additional Bombardier Swift three-section trainsets. Funding of the project has not yet been confirmed but is expected to be so later this year. Completion is planned for 2017.

The line would be operated as an extension of the existing RandstadRail Line B, which runs from Nesselande through central Rotterdam to Schiedam Centrum.

More frequent services and better links to the city centre are expected to boost the daily ridership, to 18 000 passangers from 13 000 on the current NS rail service.
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:45 PM   #638
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Nijverdal

On april 1st the new tunnel and train station in Nijverdal will go into service. That means the direct service between Zwolle and Wierden will be reinstated for the first time since 2009 when construction started.

This makes me wonder: It seems there has been a study that concluded that it would be stupid not to fit this line with overhead wires. Did they have the foresight to make the tunnel and all the overpasses at clearances so you could retrofit them if you would want to?
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:50 PM   #639
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

I believe the question was asked in the Dutch section as well, I believe the tunnel clearance is high enough!
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #640
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

I'm not a big trainfan, but I'm quite interested in railroadcrossings/level crossings, I've seen a lot of videos of then on Youtube...

Dutch railroadcrossings are very nice (they look quite similar to the railroadcrossings in the USA), and especially the ones with the old electromechanical bells. A lot of them are replaced by electronic bells (with a speaker), but some railroadcrossings have the old bells and I've made some videos, I post a selection here (You can find more on my Youtube-channel):

Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote