daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #641
DingeZ

Likes (Received): 61

Actually, the original gate system was based on the American model.
DingeZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #642
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Is there an historical reason for this "US influence" of Dutch transportation design?

If I remember correctly, many Dutch features can be traced to the US systems, both in railways and road management (the typical font, or the exaggerated number of lanes ).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #643

Likes (Received): 1036

I think it has something to do with the marshall plan after ww2.
Most of the infrastructure was damaged during the war and to rebuild and to modernise the dutch railways they used technology from the USA.
Another good example is the NS1200 which is designed by Baldwin and Westinghouse and it has a typical "american" look.

image hosted on flickr

Wilhem275, Slagathor liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #644
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

It's due to the Marshall plan, indeed. Another example of this is the Dutch railway safety system, ATB-EG, which is based upon an American system.

Wilhem275 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #645
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15423

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
Most of the infrastructure was damaged during the war and to rebuild and to modernise the dutch railways they used technology from the USA.
Another good example is the NS1200 which is designed by Baldwin and Westinghouse and it has a typical "american" look.

image hosted on flickr
Indeed, they look very much like the Spanish Class 278 of Renfe.
Westinghouse, too...
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #646
Wilhem275
The Transporter

A clip from a 1981 movie, showing some streets and old trams in Amsterdam:
http://youtu.be/bhD7O78XR3k?t=30m39s

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old March 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #647
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post

image hosted on flickr
Wow those are stunning. When were these in service?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #648
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62990

From 1952 to 1998 with the NS, from 1999 to 2009 with the private cargo operator ACTS and from 2010 up to now for Euro-Express Treincharter (EETC) that uses the loco mostly for shunting trains from Amsterdam Centraal to the Watergraafsmeer yard and back.

Slagathor liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #649
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The 1200 locomotives mostly operate between Amsterdam Centraal and Watergraafsmeer nowadays, doing shunting work for night trains. However, sometimes they are seen crossing through the country to pick up coaches at Venlo or Rotterdam. The latter is more rare: it happens a couple of times per year, so when it happens you're bound to see photographers along the train route.

If you want to see the Class 1200 locomotives in action, keep an eye out on Somda's timetable page (look for 1200 or EETC) or Op de Rails on Facebook.

Slagathor liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #650
Busfotodotnl

Likes (Received): 511

Still very big problems in the Netherlands and Belgium with the (not so) new V250 trains of AnsaldoBreda for the HSL Amsterdam - Rotterdam - Breda / Antwerp - Brussels.

Members of the dutch House of Representatives visited today the workshop of the Dutch Railways. There the heared the Railways and AnsaldoBreda still doing intensive investigation on all the 9 EMU V250 trains already delivered to Dutch Railways.

Not before june 2013 there will be more information about the future of the V250 trains. If the trains will be taken into service again, it wont be before 2014. Because Belgium Railways, who also ordered 3 of the V250's, possible want to cancel the trains, the future of the series is unclear.

A short abstract of the V250-debacle for the foreigners who don't know the story:

- 2000-2006 Netherlands and Belgium built HSL Zuid to reduce travel times between Amsterdam-Rotterdam-Breda/Antwerp.
- Besides of Thalys service Amsterdam-Antwerpen-Brussels-Paris, Dutch Railways wanted a new high speed train service between ~Amsterdam-Breda (every 30 minutes) and Amsterdam-Brussels (every 60 minutes). Amsterdam-Breda service should be a complementery service next to existing slower train services in the Netherlands. Amsterdam-Brussels service whould replace entirely the existing but slower Intercity service Amsterdam-Brussels.
- In 2005 Dutch Railways and Belgium Railways ordered 19 V250-EMUs by AnsaldoBreda to be taken in service in 2007.
- Delivery of trains was delayed. The very first train entered Netherlands in april 2009.
- Because of new designed train and problems it took "some" time to take the train in service. Dutch Railways hired locomotives and carriages of the 1980'ies to run replacement "slow high speed" trains Amsterdam - Breda from 2009 until who nows.. The old intercityservice Amsterdam-Brussels stayed the same.

- In august 2012, 8 years after the order was placed, Dutch Railways started a complementary service Amsterdam - Rotterdam (every 3 hours), the first commercial service of V250-trains. Still only a few trains were delivered (not more than 9 of 19). It was not possible to run this service without problems, nevertheless there were 9 trains to run 1 service.

- December 9th, 2012, Dutch and Belgium Railways replaced the old intercityservice Amsterdam - Brussels, to reduce travel time from 2:40 to 2:00. Now real problems started. The Hague (hometown of Dutch Government and many international institutions/ambassadies), Dordrecht and Roosendaal lost direct connection with Antwerp and European capital Brussels. Moreover, fares were doubled sometimes and it was hardly impossible to buy them a few minutes before departure. Only days before. In the Netherlands, it is not common at all to buy tickets in advance. Riding a train here is like the local bus in your town. Easy and frequently. 3rd: the number of daily intercity connections between the Netherlands and Belgium was reduced from 16 trains (every hour until december 9th) to 10 trains daily (every hour/every two hours) as a result of a shortage of V250 EMUS.

- Even with the problems described above, that's not all. Lot of the services where delayed of didnt run at al. January 16th for example, 45% of the trains didnt run at all, others where delayed for 60 minutes on average. January 17th, one of the V250-trains lost during snow (1,2). Belgium immediately prohibited any V250 in their whole country.

- As a result, since half of january, no international trains run between Amsterdam en Brussels (beside of Thalys) anymore. From 16 daily trains of 6 full carriages to no trains, in between a period with only 6-10 trains running not on schedule at all. People could only use Thalys or a local train stopping not more 13 times in every village between Roosendaal and Antwerpen. From february 18th and onwards, Dutch Railways run a replacement Intercity service The Hague - Brussels 2 times daily (from 16 trains to 2...), expanded to 8 trains from march 11th.

So, no V250 EMUS running at all since in commercial service since january 17th 2013 and if these high speed trains will ever run again, nobody knows.........

Last edited by Busfotodotnl; April 5th, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #651
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

What a clusterf-ck

I'm shocked that anyone still buys anything from AB
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #652
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post

What a clusterf-ck

I'm shocked that anyone still buys anything from AB
Let's wait and see what happens.

AB is relatively on time with the ETR1000 and the MIami subway trains.

However, I'm puzzled by their inability to fix the latest issue with the V250.
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #653
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Is the Miami trains licensed from another builder? I know with the ETR1000s they are just a Bombardier train, made in AB plants.

I think the V250 was an in house design- which obviously failed.
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #654
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
However, I'm puzzled by their inability to fix the latest issue with the V250.
If you're puzzled by that, you haven't been paying attention.
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #655
Suburbanist
on the road

Train line to Stadskanaal to be brought back to revenue service

It is reported that an agreement has been reached to bring the currently crap rail line linking Veendam to Stadskanaal back to revenue service.

It had been used only for a sporadic heritage steam train but will now be put back in service. Service should start in 2016.
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #656
Suburbanist
on the road

Train driver comes up with solution for 'leaves on the line' delays - See more at: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2013/04/train_driver_comes_up_with_sol.php#sthash.EJ0TlldE.dpuf

Quote:
A Dutch Rail train driver has come up with a solution for ever-present autumn train delays caused by leaves on the track - spraying the rails with water.

The Telegraaf reports on Monday that train driver Rene Slagter came up with the idea because leaves are less likely to stick to wet tracks.

Trains have to drive more slowly in the autumn because leaves which have become stuck on the rails can slow down braking procedures, causing delays. But leaves which blow onto wet rails are broken down after a couple of trains have driven over them, removing the hazard.

Ingrid Thijssen, director of NS's passenger services, told the Telegraaf the company helped fund the experiment and has jointly applied for a patent with Slagter.

However, a spokesman for track operator ProRail said the project is still in its early days and it is too early to say if the idea will prove a success in practice.
- See more at: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive....EJ0TlldE.dpuf
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #657
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
because leaves are less likely to stick to wet tracks
I'd have said the opposite, as long as we're not talking about a constant flow of water (which means washing the leaves away).

I'd blow air on the rails to remove them, since air under pressure is way easier to provide and manage on a train. You use the onboard compressors and set up just a bunch of trains able to blow air directly to the rails.

Old April 15th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #658
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Like it never rains in the Fall in Holland. Honestly if water was such a great remedy, this would never have been a problem in the first place.
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #659
Suburbanist
on the road

Reconstruction/renovation works on major stations

Several major Dutch railway stations are under renovation or reconstruction

Arnhem - almost completed (finishing)

Rotterdam Centraal

Utrecht Centraal - still demolishing old structure, render below

Amsterdam Centraal - slow-moving project

Den Haag Centraal