daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #661
Christopher125

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I'd blow air on the rails to remove them, since air under pressure is way easier to provide and manage on a train. You use the onboard compressors and set up just a bunch of trains able to blow air directly to the rails.
I don't think it would be practical, leaves along the track are already blown about by passing trains but that still leads to them ending up on the railhead one way or another. Controlling lineside vegetation is still the best way to combat it.

Chris
Christopher125 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #662
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Is there a reason why such a widespread project of renovation was started? A political will to bring more people to PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher125 View Post
I don't think it would be practical, leaves along the track are already blown about by passing trains but that still leads to them ending up on the railhead one way or another. Controlling lineside vegetation is still the best way to combat it.
Yep, absolutely. My idea was about wet leaves already sticked to rails (which are the ones giving low friction problems), usually they're heavey so if you blow them away before they get under the wheels you solve part of the problem.

But still is a complicate answer to a simple problem

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; April 17th, 2013 at 01:08 AM.
Wilhem275 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #663
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Is there a reason why such a widespread project of renovation was started? A political will to bring more people to PT?
Public Transportation in the Netherlands has seen a significant growth in the past, more passengers are using the stations than what they were designed for. This results in overcrowding of platforms, corridors and concourses. To cope with the current and expected future demand, ProRail, NS and City Hall of the affected stations decide to renovate.

In Eindhoven, the main corridor will be widened, the same is taking place in Zwolle. Amsterdam is having a major renovation to cope with the passenger influx created by the Noord/Zuidlijn (the new metro line currently under construction). In Tilburg, a new platform will be constructed as the current station lacks the capacity for the services desired by the province.

In other areas, such as Breda, Rotterdam and Utrecht, the station buildings themselves are old and in need of renovation. In Breda, City Hall is taking the opportunity to rejuvenate the surroundings (project Via Breda).

Last but not least, the renovation/rebuilding of these stations creates new space for commercial real estate, which is mostly operated by NS itself. Customer satisfaction surveys indicate that the shopping facilities at the stations are appreciated by the passengers, and recently developed formulas such as "Julia's" (Pasta to go), "Sissy Boy" (clothing) and "Starbucks" (fancy coffee) are pulling people towards the station.

Overall, the renovation of stations is a triple-win situation:
- Passengers get to enjoy spacious, modern stations with plenty of facilities
- NS gets a money-making machine (thanks to retail) which they can use to brag about
- Cities get a revamped station, which increases the attractiveness of the entire area
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #664
Wilhem275
The Transporter

And even more demand for transport is generated

So the whole project began due to demand higher than what the facilities could cope with.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #665
AlexNL

During redesign of a station, not only current demand is taken into account, but future demand is estimated as well. This is so they won't have to redo everything within 10 years.

For Breda, for example, the arrival of the high speed train has been a major factor. The time to get from Breda to Schiphol or Amsterdam has been slashed in half, a connection with Antwerp will also be much shorter than the current offerings. This will create more demand for Breda, thus the station is built for it. In the worst case scenario, it takes longer than anticipated to reach the expected usage.

Wilhem275 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:33 AM   #666
Wilhem275
The Transporter

A question about HS in Breda (I don't remember if I asked already...).

The connection from HS to the old line is some 11 km away from the city station, so you have HS services sharing this pretty long stretch with standard traffic.
Isn't this slowing them down or creating congestion on the old line?

Old April 17th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #667
AlexNL

Between Breda and the current place of the connection (at the Rotterdam side), there's not much space to create a fly-over. You've got to do with the A16, buildings on both sides of the track (at Prinsenbeek), and farms. I'm guessing that land acquisition costs would've been too high to build the connection further to the south.

Also, the benefits would've been limited: when coming from Breda, the train still has to pick up speed in order not to hamper other traffic on the high speed line. The 10 km of track is long enough for a HS train to be able to pick up speed, even if there's a freight train in front of it. Similarily, when leaving the HSL-Zuid the train has to decelerate. At its current position, deceleration to 140 km/h is sufficient, but if the junction were further to the south, it might have to be to 80 km/h.

Slow trains on a high speed line severely limit capacity, something which can be inconvenient for Thalyses or other high speed trains to/from Brussels. The current placement of the connection isn't that inconvenient, either, as it's after the junction towards Roosendaal. The stretch of track between Lage Zwaluwe and Breda has these trains:

- 2x/hr intercity The Hague - Venlo
- 1x/hr regional service Breda - The Hague (2x/hr during rush hour)
- 2x/hr Fyra Amsterdam - Breda (1x/hr after 20:00)
- Some freight trains (but not much anymore, most freight uses the Betuweroute nowadays)

That amount of trains doesn't cause any kind of capacity problems.
Old April 17th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #668
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
At its current position, deceleration to 140 km/h is sufficient, but if the junction were further to the south, it might have to be to 80 km/h.
Mmh, right, that's the point. I'm used to longer junctions, while that is almost nonexistent , there wouldn't be enough space to accelerate decently.
I like that junction, very smart design. The whole LHD/RHD switch is interesting.

Well, if the old line has no capacity problem, then there's nothing to be worried about

Old April 25th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #669
Wilhem275
The Transporter

A question about Knoopunkt De Nieuwe Meer (well, that's the name of the road junction ).

In recent videos I saw building works all around the junction, it seems they're upgrading it, and it would make sense since traffic HSL<->Sloterdijk is increasing and the existing design implies crossing all tracks.

Are they reaching this kind of design?

Old April 25th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #670
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

As far as I know they're not working on that connection.

They are quadrupling the other tracks that go to Amsterdam Zuid station.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #671
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Yep, I knew that but I didn't find any pictures of the project

To be more clear, I'm talking about this:
http://youtu.be/4ohi1POMsf4?t=8m45s

The embankments they're drafting on the left seem like a new ramp from Schiphol to Sloterdijk... but it may just be a work of fantasy

Is it true that most traffic from CS goes on to HSL and Leiden, while traffic from Zuid mostly terminates at Hoofdorp? In this case switching the way tracks merge would make sense.

Old April 25th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #672
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
A question about Knoopunkt De Nieuwe Meer (well, that's the name of the road junction ).
And as you probably expected the railway junction has a different name: Riekerpolder aansluiting.

Wilhem275 liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #673
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Thank you for answering the hidden question

Now that I have the right name, Google told me a lot about the projects going on... what is really comical is that most infos are here in SSC (in the Dutch forum), and Images search even listed that silly image I posted at #670

About the project management:
http://www.railinfrasolutions.nl/pro...w/ovsaal-west/

Well well, I was not wrong

http://nemetschek-scia.com/nl/compan...rdam-nederland

http://www.prorail.nl/Publiek/Infrap...s/Visuals.aspx

Old May 1st, 2013, 01:26 PM   #674
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Hi I would like to know more about railway in Netherlands.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:32 PM   #675
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Indeed, that's what this thread's for.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #676
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Next generation SLT

I'm a bit confused now: Last Friday NS issued a 'Request for Proposal' for a new series of commuter trains to replace older models like the current SGMm Sprinters starting 2018.
I was under the impression they already did that in juli 2012.
A few highlights for the new trains:
  • Equipped with ERTMS (no info on STM-ATB or separate ATB)
  • Equipped with wide doors and low-level floors
  • Must be wheel chair accessible
  • Must be based on existing technology
Last years info also specified 2 variants (a 150 seat and a 250 seat variant), quick acceleration, a 160 km/h top speed and 'must be suitable for Dutch weather'. Hopefully they have learned by now that their specification of Dutch weather wasn't accurate enough for the SLT and V250. I can't find any info on 25kV AC (or 3000V DC) suitability.

What interests me most is what they consider 'Existing technology'. Would a Stadler FLIRT for 1500V DC be existing technology given that it has never been built before?
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #677
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

I would like to know whether if cape gauge railway line did exist in Netherland?
Old May 7th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #678
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6142

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
'must be suitable for Dutch weather'. Hopefully they have learned by now that their specification of Dutch weather wasn't accurate enough for the SLT and V250.
You're right, that was really stupid. When people hear "Dutch weather", much like "English weather", they just think "rain." No problem, our train can handle rain!

"Must be able to handle 2 months in Norway and 2 months in Mali." would be a better description of our weather.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #679
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
I would like to know whether if cape gauge railway line did exist in Netherland?
3ft 6in are a nice size in imperial units, but not in the international units (1067 mm). Most narrow gauge lines in Europe use 750, 760 or 1000 mm gauges. The United Kingdom and Ireland still have some 914 mm/3ft/1 yard lines, but not much Cape gauge lines. The few examples of Cape gauge lines in Europe I am aware of are a tramway line in the Isle of Man (still in use) and one line somewhere in Scandinavia (now closed).

The standard gauge story is different, as it is not round either in imperial (4ft 8.5in) nor in international (1435 mm) units.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #680
Maarten Otto

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
I would like to know whether if cape gauge railway line did exist in Netherlands?
In a complete flat country where a third of the land mass lays below sea level? Make an educated guess....