daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #681
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62953

There where no train lines, but the where several inter local tram lines that used cape gauge in the Netherlands. The most extensive network was the RTM (Rotterdamsche Tramweg Maatschappij) network with 150 km of steam, later diesel tram lines southwest of the city of Rotterdam. The RTM operated both passenger and freight trams, in a way that was very similar to local railway companies in the Netherlands. The last tram services ended in 1966, the company continued as a bus company.

bagus70 liked this post
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #682
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

My Dutch friend did mention about the presence of cape gauge line in Holland, although I forget the name of the places.
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #683
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten Otto View Post
In a complete flat country where a third of the land mass lays below sea level? Make an educated guess....
Please explain the reaason why you couldn't/shouldn't use cape gauge in a flat country, because I can't think of any?
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #684
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

There were many metre gauge tramways in Belgium, for example, and also in northern France.

I didn't know of the cape gauge tramways in the Netherlands thought. I ever thought there weren't many cape gauge lines in Europe (even in UK and the Ireland, where the 3ft gauge seemed more common to me).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #685
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Please explain the reaason why you couldn't/shouldn't use cape gauge in a flat country, because I can't think of any?
Narrow gauge lines are more popular in mountain or very hilly terrain, because building standart/russian/iberian gauge there are expensive as a hell - due to more rock carving, wider bridges, etc.
In flat terrain narrow gauges only marginally more expansive than st./rus./ib. (exept temporatry rail in marshy terrain for peat mining).
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #686
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62953

There have been many narrow gauge inter local tram networks in the Netherlands. Several with Cape Gauge, but 750mm gauge and meter gauge was also often used.

Pretty much all lines closed down, starting during the crisis in 1930s, then came the war and the auto bus and the car killed the last few lines in the 1960s.

The Dutch Wikipedia has a list with many of those lines (in Dutch):
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voormal...n_in_Nederland

On this page you can click on the map of the Netherlands to see more detailed maps of all the railway lines and tram lines in 1932. The black lines are railways, the dark blue lines are standard gauge tramlines the softer blue lines are the narrow gauge tramlines.

http://www.bcpeters.dds.nl/spoorzoek.../kaarten/1931/
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #687
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
There were many metre gauge tramways in Belgium, for example, and also in northern France.

I didn't know of the cape gauge tramways in the Netherlands thought. I ever thought there weren't many cape gauge lines in Europe (even in UK and the Ireland, where the 3ft gauge seemed more common to me).
Many of the so called "buurtspoorwegen" where tramways in Belgium:

1934:
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #688
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAN_ View Post
Narrow gauge lines are more popular in mountain or very hilly terrain, because building standart/russian/iberian gauge there are expensive as a hell - due to more rock carving, wider bridges, etc.
In flat terrain narrow gauges only marginally more expansive than st./rus./ib. (exept temporatry rail in marshy terrain for peat mining).
Narrow gauge is also popular in Urban Areas. Narrow gauge allows for tighter curves, which means you can construct lines along existing roads. That is the reason why you do find a lot of narrow gauge tramways, and narrow gauge local lines even in flat countries.
But even main line railways in flat countries were sometimes build to narrow gauge. One example is Antwerpen - Gent, a mostly straight line that was build to 1150mm, and only converted to standard gauge in 1897.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #689
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Many of the so called "buurtspoorwegen" where tramways in Belgium:

1934:
This map only shows standard gauge railways however, no "buurtspoorwegen".
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #690
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Next saturday I'll be in Pistoia (Tuscany) for a rail trip.

I was hovering around the place and here's what I got: Ansaldo's plant with many of your beloved V250s

https://maps.google.it/maps?ll=43.92...02411&t=k&z=19

http://binged.it/ZLB4tC

In bird view too, with many wrapped wagons:
http://binged.it/13kT3eN

I recognize DSB's (in)famous IC4s, some Sirio trams and I'd say V250s too.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Suburbanist liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #691
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Do us a favor and stop over there to kick the CEO in the shins. Hard.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #692
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Construction program in Netherlands

Several of the major Dutch hub stations are undergoing reconstruction/expansion.

Just to make a recap, this is a list of major works

Amsterdam Centraal: new bus station on the north side, new subway line and integrated subway station, renovation of old building. Work should end in 2016.

Arnhem C.: complete reconstructions with some modification to track layout. Works are on finishing phase inside the station, but they have to build the new bus terminal (the present one is crappy), it is a very neat and sleek station.

Rotterdam C.: complete reconstruction + subway/light-rail station. Works should end this year.

Utrecht C.: restructuring of the station hall and surroundings. Still undergoing demolition phase, but not much train traffic disruptions so far. These works will greatly reduce retail space within the station.

's-Hertogenbosch: major track plan restructuring, including a new flyover on the tracks coming from Oss, allowing for better traffic separation. I've read about plans for cross-platform transfers with the IC trains going to/from Limburg in the future with a fly-over near Vught.

Zwolle: track rearrangement, new passageway and other improvements. Badly needed, the underpass is claustrophobic and outdated.

Den Haag C.: new station building, reconstruction.

Last edited by Suburbanist; June 10th, 2013 at 10:17 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #693
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Breda: rebuilding of the entire station with integrated bus terminal, shopping mall, offices, apartments and parking space on the roof. Estimated completion: 2016.

Tilburg: widening passenger tunnel, adding a platform.

Eindhoven: widening of the tunnel underneath the platforms.
Old June 10th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #694
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Eindhoven is the most shortchanged station IMO. It is an important transfer hub, but it lacks the modern looks and facilities, like more lifts to the platforms, more escalators etc.
Old June 10th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #695
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

How is Eindhoven an important transfer hub?
Old June 10th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #696
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Eindhoven is at the crossing of the line from East to West (IC Den Haag-Venlo) and the line from North to South (IC Amsterdam-Maastricht/Heerlen) and is also the centre of 2 local trains.
It is also busy because of the Eindhoven Airport bus link and because of it being a interregional Bus-Hub.

So yes, it's important.. and not even starting the fact that it's the technology capital of the Netherlands, has the second biggest technology University and the biggest city below the rivers and a large industrial center.
Old June 10th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #697
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Eindhoven is at the crossing of the line from East to West (IC Den Haag-Venlo) and the line from North to South (IC Amsterdam-Maastricht/Heerlen) and is also the centre of 2 local trains.
It is also busy because of the Eindhoven Airport bus link and because of it being a interregional Bus-Hub.

So yes, it's important.. and not even starting the fact that it's the technology capital of the Netherlands, has the second biggest technology University and the biggest city below the rivers and a large industrial center.
You're confusing two things here: Eindhoven is an important city. But its train station isn't an important hub.

So two major lines cross each other in Eindhoven (E-W & N-S). That applies to over a dozen stations in the country including such gems as Zwolle or Roosendaal. While they're all important railway intersections, you'll be hard struck to classify them as a hub.

It might well be that Eindhoven's station is currently inadequate in that it's too small (in terms of facilities or space) to cope with the flow of passengers. Perhaps it's too small for a city that size, even. But it still isn't a hub.

We really only have two railway hubs in this country: Utrecht (obviously) and Rotterdam. There are some other big stations but they invariably don't qualify as a hub. That has a lot to do with the geographic location and lay-out of our country.
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #698
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Schiphol is a major Hub, just as Amersfoort.
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #699
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I remember the bus terminus of Haarlem being rebuilt in Summer 2011... it was almost complete.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #700

Likes (Received): 1036

Also another big project going on at the moment is the new tunnel at delft.
They are building a new tunnel and station which will replace the elevated double track which is used at the moment. Also the tunnel is prepared for 4 tracks.

They already have moved the bagrijnetoren.

Lift windmill de roos to build the tunnel underneath.

BringMe liked this post
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote