daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #801
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6152

Which one exactly?

The first one:

The second one (the first one extended):

The third one:
image hosted on flickr

Or the fourth one? Those are hard to come by...

Last edited by Slagathor; August 24th, 2013 at 04:04 PM.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #802
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

What is the fourth one?
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #803
obolos

Likes (Received): 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
What is the fourth one?
On stationsweb.nl: http://www.stationsweb.nl/station.asp?station=utrechtcs
the option stationsgebouw III (1974).
obolos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #804
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

I'd say the first three are awesome, excellent, and artistic.

The current one looks bleak.
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #805
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

The one they're building right now would be the fifth one. The fourth was a fairly dismal 1970s construction. The new building is a slight improvement, but not exactly worthy of a postcard.
Old August 26th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #806
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

It is a pity that they are rebuilding Utrecht Centraal without building any through tracks!
Old August 26th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #807
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

They are through tracks. West<>East trains currently have to turn around because of the lay-out of the tracks around the city, but that has very little or nothing to do with the station itself. Unless you're advocating a West-East tunnel underneath the city, but that would be insane.
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #808
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

I was told that the old Rotterdam station platform roof was an unique curved concrete structure. My friends in Holland said that the Malang station (Indonesia) platform roof are reminiscent of the old Rotterdam platform roof, before they were demolished in 1960s.

I wonder how did the Rotterdam platform roof used to look like?

This is the one in Malang. I wonder if they're identical?

Silly_Walks, julesstoop liked this post
bagus70 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #809

Likes (Received): 1035

They did have a lot of resamblance.

Source: Wikipedia
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #810
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Because the designer of both stations are the same person.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:51 PM   #811
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

NS cancels V250 contract with AnsaldoBreda

NS Financial Services, the leasing subsidiary of Netherlands Railways (NS), has officially cancelled its contract for 16 V250 high-speed trains from AnsaldoBreda, following the lead of Belgian National Railways (SNCB) which cancelled its contract for three of the trains on May 31.

NS announced in June that it would abandon the order and the formal dismantling of the contractual relationship comes shortly before legal proceedings against AnsaldoBreda start at the Court of Justice in Utrecht, Netherlands.

The V250s, which were purchased to operate Fyra high-speed services between Brussels and Amsterdam, were withdrawn from service in January after the trains suffered faults during operation.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:44 AM   #812
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The demise of Fyra really is an amazing story. There was over 8 years between the inking of the contract between the railways and AnsaldoBreda, yet it only took 6 weeks for the entire service to collapse...
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:08 AM   #813
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I'd like to hear the opinion of the general Dutch public about this story.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:27 AM   #814
AlexNL

Opinions vary wildly between "Why do I care, I never ride the train", "And another billion euros of taxpayer money down the gutter" or "Those incompetent Italians screwed us over, we should've bought French instead!"

Not very well-informed I'd say.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:03 AM   #815
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Are NS/NMBS trying to publicly dump the load entirely on -the incompetent- AB? It would be pretty easy to avoid internal pressure from their local public by claiming AB as the only weak ring in the chain... since AB itself did nothing to avoid it.

I believe they'll all fight to death to demonstrate they did absolutely nothing wrong

It's going to be a very funny proceeding in court, let's take good seats and share some pop-corn

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:39 AM   #816
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Enough has been said already for the public to know that AB certainly isn't the only party to blame. I think NS and NMBS are just as incompetent, just in other areas.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:46 PM   #817
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Are NS/NMBS trying to publicly dump the load entirely on -the incompetent- AB?
They try, but they're so incompetent themselves in the public image that nobody's buying it. This is the type of country where, if you buy some faulty product, people go: "Well, didn't you have a good look before you bought it?"

There's no way NS can pull that off.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:30 PM   #818
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
This is the type of country where, if you buy some faulty product, people go: "Well, didn't you have a good look before you bought it?"
They probably did in this case, but because somebody in the legal department screwed up and didn't manage to find a legal way to exclude unwanted manufacturers, they ended up with one.

Nobody has yet explained why in Germany and France they always do manage to end up with the manufacturer of choice and in the Netherlands they don't, despite being subject to the same European tender rules.
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:38 AM   #819
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Nobody has yet explained why in Germany and France they always do manage to end up with the manufacturer of choice and in the Netherlands they don't, despite being subject to the same European tender rules.
Because the offers by Siemens and Alsthom were not exclusive enough. The 'Albatros' (V250) should have a special design. And NS ****ed up the tender (poor legal advice).
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #820
AlexNL

In the starting phase of the tendering process, one of the requirements was a maximum speed of 220 km/h. Midway through the tendering process, only two parties were left: Alstom and AnsaldoBreda. Alstom offered a combination of high-speed Prima locomotives combined with coaches, with AnsaldoBreda offering an EMU. Under that specifications, the offer given by Alstom was benificial: the total price per seat was slightly lower than AnsaldoBreda's.

However, the Dutch government 'expressed concerns' about this top speed as they feared that NS would be unable to achieve the journey times agreed upon in the HSL-Zuid concession. NS subsequently altered this requirement: the train should be able to achieve a maximum speed of 250 km/h. As Alstom knew they couldn't do 250 km/h with Prima locomotives, and (at that time) not having a suitable low-speed TGV either, they decided not to continue with the tendering process.

AnsaldoBreda, meanwhile, said they could adjust the top speed of the EMU offered for 'a small premium'. As AnsaldoBreda was the only remaining party, NS had to make a tough decision: either continue with AnsaldoBreda, or re-start the entire tendering process, delaying the process even further.

In hindsight, NS made some serious mistakes in the tendering process. The demands were very specific, the timeframes were short (the train had to be designed and enter service in less than 4 years). When there was only one interested train builder left, alarm bells should've sounded. After inking the contract, NS seemingly did too little to ensure their trains would be delivered or up to standards, given the lengthy delays (there have been test runs in NL and Belgium for over 3 years) and the poor performance during the months the train was in service.