daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:06 PM   #961
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Open boarding is very much frowned upon and discouraged, I don't even know of any places where they allow it but of course I haven't been to every corner of the country.
Haven't ya? I have...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:14 PM   #962
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

In most areas of the country open boarding is disallowed, for example in Amsterdam it's even not allowed on the trams! In Almere there is an open boarding policy and it's a well-known fact that this is costing Connexxion lots of missed revenue...

Transport authorities tend to shift towards making the operator responsible for revenues, and as they'll have to watch costs due to budgetary constraints I don't expect open boarding policies to expand any time soon.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:22 PM   #963
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

The 300 bus from Haarlem to Amsterdam ZO has open boarding, as well as the Utrecht buses 11 and 12.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:27 PM   #964
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Haven't ya? I have...
I bet those Saturday nights in Veendam were the stuff of legends.

Road_UK liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:28 PM   #965
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
The 300 bus from Haarlem to Amsterdam ZO has open boarding, as well as the Utrecht buses 11 and 12.
Are those articulated or interregional buses? Of which company?
Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:32 PM   #966
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:

I bet those Saturday nights in Veendam were the stuff of legends.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:39 PM   #967
radamfi

Quote:
Are those articulated or interregional buses? Of which company?
Utrecht 11 and 12 are the famous extra long bendy buses of GVU (Connexxion) travelling between the hospital/university and the city centre. I've been on these routes at university kicking out time and the sheer volume of students is immense. Open boarding probably doesn't lose much money as presumably many of the students are on free passes.

The Connexxion route 300 is the route formerly known as Zuidtangent (now R-net) which uses one of the longest busways in the world. It is run with standard Mercedes Citaro articulated buses.

Slagathor liked this post
Old September 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM   #968
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
In Almere there is an open boarding policy and it's a well-known fact that this is costing Connexxion lots of missed revenue...
I didn't realise Almere had open boarding. How can you find out if a particular bus is open boarding or not?
Old September 22nd, 2013, 04:20 PM   #969
radamfi

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/GVU

says

"Voor het HOV-project zijn 27 dubbelgelede (driedelige) bussen aangeschaft van het type Van Hool AGG300. Deze 25 meter lange bussen kunnen ieder 148 personen vervoeren en rijden op de lijnen 11, 12, 12s en 31. Voor deze bussen geldt een open-instapregime: reizigers mogen door alle deuren in- en uitstappen en kunnen bij alle deuren in en uitchecken. Tot 2011 waren er bij alle deuren stempelautomaten aanwezig. Plaatsbewijzencontrole vindt onregelmatig plaats door VIC-kaartcontroleurs van het GVU."

so it looks like open boarding applies to Utrecht route 31 as well.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 04:22 PM   #970
radamfi

http://wiki.ovinnederland.nl/wiki/Instapregime

looks to give the full list of routes allowing open boarding.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:45 PM   #971
Grzegorz.Janoszka

Likes (Received): 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
http://wiki.ovinnederland.nl/wiki/Instapregime
looks to give the full list of routes allowing open boarding.
In Amsterdam trams on lines 16 and 24 allow open boarding as well. These trams are quite small and they don't have
Grzegorz.Janoszka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:34 PM   #972
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I've never even heard of trams not boarding at all doors at once. Those Dutch trams must have a really low ridership (everyone cycles?). In most sizeable towns it would be physically impossible during high traffic periods.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #973
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I've never even heard of trams not boarding at all doors at once.

Go to Amsterdam, the Combino trams have a conductor booth and there are stickers on the windows urging you to board at the entrance near conductor or driver. They even installed barriers to prevent you from boarding or alighting where you're not supposed to...

Picture source: this website
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #974
radamfi

Quote:
I've never even heard of trams not boarding at all doors at once. Those Dutch trams must have a really low ridership (everyone cycles?). In most sizeable towns it would be physically impossible during high traffic periods.
Amsterdam trams seem to be busy enough, comparable to trams in other major cities. The boarding procedure isn't as quick as open boarding, obviously, but is quick enough and I would say that blocking off doors for exit only isn't really a bad thing as it stops people walking into each other, which can slow down boarding.
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #975
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

People virtually never walk into each other in The Hague or Rotterdam where open boarding is allowed on trams. Frankly, I think the Amsterdam system is the nanny state taken to the extreme.
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #976
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
People virtually never walk into each other in The Hague or Rotterdam where open boarding is allowed on trams. Frankly, I think the Amsterdam system is the nanny state taken to the extreme.
The Amsterdam system is a job creation program, not a public transport program...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #977
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Frankly, I think the Amsterdam system is the nanny state taken to the extreme.
Seeing as taking trips for free was more the rule than the exception (for people in my area at least) back during the honor system, I can't agree with this.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #978
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

And you couldn't solve it like in most other cities with regular checks, steep fines and court appearances for repeat offenders?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #979
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
And you couldn't solve it like in most other cities with regular checks, steep fines and court appearances for repeat offenders?
They always have done, but like with anything there are also always ways around it for professionals.
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #980
radamfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Seeing as taking trips for free was more the rule than the exception (for people in my area at least) back during the honor system, I can't agree with this.
That's what I was trying to get at when I asked whether the Dutch people agreed with open boarding. It is clear that the Government and operators no longer believe in it. But what does the average Dutchman/Dutchwoman think? Experience of open boarding in London showed that many people didn't agree with it.

Maybe the average Dutch person doesn't care as he/she mostly uses the car and bike. I admit, I only realised how low the modal share for public transport in NL was about a year ago and I found it rather a shock. (Not a bad thing as bike use generally replaces bus use in NL, and the car modal split is one of the lowest in the developed world). It was a shock because the reputation (in the UK) of Dutch public transport is very high. It seems incredible from a UK perspective that the Dutch invest so much in high quality buses such as Citaros and MAN Lion's Citys and build so many dedicated busways, as well as lots of bus lanes in general, to be used by so few people. People in the UK look enviably at London because of its Oyster smartcard and wish they had it there. They would be even more jealous of NL in having one for the entire country.

Oh and I forgot. Rural and inter-urban buses are often co-ordinated so you don't have to wait very long for connections. I don't think any other country does this as well as NL apart from maybe Switzerland.

Last edited by radamfi; September 24th, 2013 at 11:02 PM.