daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #1001
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
In Limburg, Veolia started selling paper tickets again because they saw a huge decline in ridership when they went "chipkaart only".
I just had a look at their paper tickets and they are not cheap. €2.50 for city and €4 for longer distance buses. Most people travelling shorter distances would be better off with an OV-Chipkaart. Some longer distance trips would be cheaper with the €4 paper ticket.

http://www.veolia-transport.nl/limbu...ten/index.html

Last edited by radamfi; September 26th, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1002
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

One would need to travel a lot to benefit from these prices. Moreover, different cities/provinces are introducing discount plans for urban local transportation as well...
Old September 26th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #1003
radamfi

The instaptarief is €0.86. The kilometertarief for Zuid-Limburg is €0.162/km and for the rest of Limburg it is €0.144. That means you need to travel 10.12 km in Zuid-Limburg (11.39 km in Noord and Midden) to be worth getting the €2.50 ticket and 19.38 km in Zuid-Limburg (21.81 km in Noord and Midden) for the €4 ticket.
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #1004
radamfi

The 2-Eurokaartje in Groningen/Drenthe is a bit better value with it being cheaper if the distance travelled is 7.55 km.

On the Arriva service from Groningen to Emmeloord, with a connection to Lelystad, the OV-Chipkaart fare is €22.88, whereas you can get a day return for €15 after 9 am Monday to Friday, anytime weekends and weekdays in July and August.
Old September 27th, 2013, 12:01 AM   #1005
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
So you find getting your pass out several times a day less cumbersome than getting it out a few time per year?
A few times a year wouldn't deter 'zwartrijders'.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #1006
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I'm also in favor of outlawing any single paper ticket within Netherlands, for whatever reason. If tickets are to be sold by drivers, they should be like those disposable chipkaarts sold by GVB. No passenger transaction should happen without a OV-Chipkaart.
For single use tickets such as the ones sold on board on a bus, fitting those things with an RFID tag is pointless. The RFID tag would add significant charges to the price of a ticket while the ticket itself will be disposed of quickly after leaving the bus.

Only Amsterdam and Rotterdam sell single use tickets with integrated RFID chips, but that's because of the gated subway stations.
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #1007
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
You can do that to some operators, I think.

I'm also in favor of outlawing any single paper ticket within Netherlands, for whatever reason. If tickets are to be sold by drivers, they should be like those disposable chipkaarts sold by GVB. No passenger transaction should happen without a OV-Chipkaart.
You're criminally insane. OV-Chipkaart in the Netherlands? The system where they keep track of your every move and store it in a database for two years?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of innovation, but the Netherlands must be the most effed-up country in Europe when it comes down to government involvement in people's private lives. I'm sure they would be happy to hand the files to the Americans or so if they would decide one they they wanted to know the whereabouts of Dutch Citizen X. on date Y. while he was speaking to person Z. on his cellphone. If any politician in Poland would ever come up with such a scheme, he should be shot on sight.

Back to a chipcard for public transportation; the system they use in Kraków is in my opinion quite good; a chipcard together with a photo-ID card which stores month passes and could be expanded to store a wider variety of passes and tickets. No need for checking in or checking out, the controller just holds the card to his or her reader and sees whether you have a valid ticket or not. It's also a fair system for visitors, because there is no personal data on the chip in the card itself, you can buy one on the spot and start using it, the whole process not taking more than 5 minutes if you have a picture for them to make your photo-ID.
Proterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #1008
Suburbanist
on the road

You can also buy anonymous OV-Chipkaarts in Netherlands.

The requirement to check in and out is essential to allow fine-grained data about usage of different lines and systems. For instance, during that last budget cut rounds in GVB they had discovered that they were overestimating the ridership of many bus lines and underestimating ridership of several tram lines.

With a requirement to check in and out, you can collect precise data not only about crowding of vehicles, but detailed travel patterns that allow you to program better your limited transportation resources.

Silly_Walks liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #1009
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Quote:
You can also buy anonymous OV-Chipkaarts in Netherlands.

The requirement to check in and out is essential to allow fine-grained data about usage of different lines and systems. For instance, during that last budget cut rounds in GVB they had discovered that they were overestimating the ridership of many bus lines and underestimating ridership of several tram lines.

With a requirement to check in and out, you can collect precise data not only about crowding of vehicles, but detailed travel patterns that allow you to program better your limited transportation resources.
You don't need to have any personal data on the card itself to mine statistics...
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #1010
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
You don't need to have any personal data on the card itself to mine statistics...
You don't even need chip cards. It's perfectly possible to automatically count passengers.

Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1011
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
A few times a year wouldn't deter 'zwartrijders'.
In Switzerland getting caught without a ticket several times a year will cost you more then a yearly PT pass would have cost you. And you end up with a criminal record, with all the disadvantages that entails...

Given how low the number of fare evaders are it does appear to work...
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #1012
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
In Switzerland getting caught without a ticket several times a year will cost you more then a yearly PT pass would have cost you.
In Brussels they have a progressive fine system: it starts with something like €85, next time (within 2 years) it doubles to 170 and so on...
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1013
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
You don't even need chip cards. It's perfectly possible to automatically count passengers.
But you can't properly identify the total trip data, only individual use at vehicles/lines. With OV-Chipkaart it is possible to gather precise information on total trips, whatever public transportation lines/services are used to complete them.
Old September 27th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #1014
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Quote:
But you can't properly identify the total trip data, only individual use at vehicles/lines. With OV-Chipkaart it is possible to gather precise information on total trips, whatever public transportation lines/services are used to complete them.
But what does personal data have to do with trip data? And besides that, with paper tickets one can also gather rather precise data on total trips - no one is going to buy a ticket they're not going to use.
Old September 27th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #1015
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
In Brussels they have a progressive fine system: it starts with something like €85, next time (within 2 years) it doubles to 170 and so on...
In Switzerland it's 100 chf for a first and second offense. The third and subsequent times you will have to appear in court. And that is where it quickly becomes expensive.
Old September 27th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #1016

Likes (Received): 1036

I think another problem is that in the train they almost don't check the OV-chipcards. For my internship I used to use the train for a year between Leiden and Delft but I think they only checked my card 5 times in 1 a whole year!
Because I'm a student it is free so I always check in to use the public transport but a retour between Delft and Leiden normal price 2nd class is 9,20. If you use it for 47 weeks (5 weeks vacation) for 5 days a week it will cost you around 2162 euros per year and with 40% discount (5,60 retour) it will cost you 1316 euro per year. It is even cheaper to get caught. Of course mostly during rush hour it is to crowded to check but in most occasions they close the door and they just sit in first class doing nothing. Why the hell would you even bother to check in ?
3737 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #1017
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The few times that I have used the train in the Netherlands I did see conductors walking by with a little device to check those chip cards...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1018
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
But what does personal data have to do with trip data? And besides that, with paper tickets one can also gather rather precise data on total trips - no one is going to buy a ticket they're not going to use.
I'd agree to have plans loaded onto anonymous chipkaarts (except those that require a qualification like study or old age).

People can buy tickets and use at a later time. Moreover, you can track movements that involve also urban transportation, and you couldn't track itineraries on urban transportation at all with the strippenkaart.
Old September 27th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #1019
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3737 View Post
I think another problem is that in the train they almost don't check the OV-chipcards. For my internship I used to use the train for a year between Leiden and Delft but I think they only checked my card 5 times in 1 a whole year! Because I'm a student it is free so I always check in to use the public transport but a retour between Delft and Leiden normal price 2nd class is 9,20. If you use it for 47 weeks (5 weeks vacation) for 5 days a week it will cost you around 2162 euros per year and with 40% discount (5,60 retour) it will cost you 1316 euro per year. It is even cheaper to get caught. Of course mostly during rush hour it is to crowded to check but in most occasions they close the door and they just sit in first class doing nothing. Why the hell would you even bother to check in ?
If you don't mind appearing in court ever year or so you can indeed systematically travel without a ticket. It won't be cheap however.
Old September 27th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1020
K_

Quote:
I'd agree to have plans loaded onto anonymous chipkaarts (except those that require a qualification like study or old age). People can buy tickets and use at a later time. Moreover, you can track movements that involve also urban transportation, and you couldn't track itineraries on urban transportation at all with the strippenkaart.
There is no need for that. You don't need to track everyone's movements. You only need to know the movements of a representative sample, and you can extrapolate from that. SBB for example has gotten pretty good at predicting the number of people that will be on a train, to the point that they will plan in extra trains at short notice. If NS has better data thanks to the OV chipcard they don't appear to be making much use of it.