daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #1101
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Fyra is dead. I'd expect you'd be allowed on any train that doesn't require reservation, but you best check with Stena Line or NS.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #1102
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

Is there no longer a toeslag for the Breda to Amsterdam direct train?
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #1103
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

A supplement is still required between Breda and Schiphol. Starting from December 15, the supplement will no longer be required between Breda and Rotterdam, but will remain compulsory for Schiphol - Rotterdam.
Old November 26th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #1104
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
Is there no longer a toeslag for the Breda to Amsterdam direct train?
Only for Schiphol-Rotterdam sector, it costs € 2,30, and the train is now called "Intercity Direct" and not Fyra.
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1105
Grzegorz.Janoszka

Likes (Received): 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Only for Schiphol-Rotterdam sector, it costs € 2,30, and the train is now called "Intercity Direct" and not Fyra.
Yesterday on Amsterdam Centraal they still announced Fyra, never heard them announcing IC Direct.
Grzegorz.Janoszka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1106
AlexNL

The IC Direct brand will be introduced with the December timetable change.
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #1107
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingeZ View Post
Bottom line is that migrating to ERTMS L1 would be too much effort for a small profit. Strictly seen the Dutch network is slowly upgraded to ERTMS L3, but Level 2 is used until Level 3 is completed.
Is it? L1 with radio infill and L2 will perform exactly the same.
One of the major issues with the higher ERTMS levels is the limited bandwidth of GSM-R, which can cause problems with extensively used routes or on complex yards. Also GSM-R signal quality can suffer from for instance the use of LTE in an adjacent band. Using L1 instead of L2 on busy locations can therefore solve this communication speed limitation.

These problems will only be worse in L3, because now the train itself is even more responsible for locating itself and therefore must send out more location reports. Also L3 can only be used on trains having integrity protection, which at this moment is still a problem with locomotive drawn trains wihich are not of a fixed composition.
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #1108
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Is it? L1 with radio infill and L2 will perform exactly the same.
One of the major issues with the higher ERTMS levels is the limited bandwidth of GSM-R, which can cause problems with extensively used routes or on complex yards. Also GSM-R signal quality can suffer from for instance the use of LTE in an adjacent band. Using L1 instead of L2 on busy locations can therefore solve this communication speed limitation.

These problems will only be worse in L3, because now the train itself is even more responsible for locating itself and therefore must send out more location reports. Also L3 can only be used on trains having integrity protection, which at this moment is still a problem with locomotive drawn trains wihich are not of a fixed composition.
Well, so TVM-style (or ALSN-EN) systems still have a fair number of advantages, compared to high-level ERTMS?
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #1109
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

The main disadvantages of ERTMS are the limitations of the air interface, it's complexity and, for the moment, its higher costs compared to the current systems.

Currently work is being done on upgrading the air interface to something faster and the cost will drop automatically with increased usage rate. Its complexity is the result of the tasks the system is required to perform, which is to be a succesor to all systems currently in use. I supose a large part of this complexity can also best be described as lack of experience. Once you get the hang of a new system you can start copy-pasting standard solutions, and this will not be an issue anymore.
Old December 4th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1110
Suburbanist
on the road

Three bits of news:

- Costs of FYRA cancellation are mounting for NS, it will have to pay another € 153 million to the State this year as it didn't deliver contracted services which would allow the reduction on HSL franchise fee reduction agreed in 2008-9 - conditioned to running high-speed services.

- NS announced it will remove most arrival and departure printed boards from platforms as surveys show few people use them as most passengers now rely on electronic panels and smartphones/tablets to plan their trips

- NS also started a new campaign for free weekend prices lasting until May 2014: € 29 (2nd class) or € 45 (1st class) for passengers who want unlimited rides Friday 19.00 - Monday 4.00. These prices are valid for one year after contract is signed.
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #1111
AlexNL

A short while ago we had a discussion about re-electrification of the Dutch railway network. As it turns out, we aren't the only ones who were having those talks - so are ProRail (the infrastructure manager) and NS (the operator).

ProRail and NS seem to have settled on a re-electrification on 3 kV for a number of causes:
- Energy losses over longer distances will be lower than on 1,5 kV
- Trains can accelerate quicker
- It allows for higher top speeds
- Braking energy recuperation rates can go up from 10% to as much as 40%
- Estimated CO2 reduction: 150 million kilos per year
- Does not require a full re-electrification and re-signalling as would be the case with 25 kV

Cost estimations:
- Infrastructure: € 400 million
- Rolling stock: no final figure has been determined but will most likely be less than infrastructure costs

Benefits:
- Savings on energy bill up to € 30 million / year, measured by today's electricity prices

Source (in Dutch): OV magazine

Wilhem275, SAS 16 liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #1112
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Not bad.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #1113
Suburbanist
on the road

I still think they should work on re-electrification at 25kV AC. They could start with lines in Noord Holland (isolated from the rest), then move on to electrify anything outwards form Zwolle (including present-day diesel lines like Harlingen-Leeuwarden) and the move one to the core network.

=============================

I read a while ago (more like 2 years ago) about some plans to redevelop and reinstate train service on the ZLSM line. Any concrete news on that

Old December 5th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #1114
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

25kV is more future proof, and in the end has even more power savings.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #1115
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
25kV is more future proof, and in the end has even more power savings.
25kv AC 60Hz also allows for ProRail to take electricity from the grid with ease.
Old December 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #1116
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

50Hz, I assume?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1117
XAN_

Likes (Received): 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
50Hz, I assume?
Bingo
-H. Kürsch, 2002
XAN_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1118
Suburbanist
on the road

FYRA brand is being withdrawn

These are the new "supplement payment totems" to be fit on stations served by Intercity Direct trains

Old December 5th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1119
AlexNL

It's only logical, the Fyra brand has been damaged heavily in the past 4.5 years. Its replacement, Intercity direct, is just horrible.
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #1120
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
A short while ago we had a discussion about re-electrification of the Dutch railway network. As it turns out, we aren't the only ones who were having those talks - so are ProRail (the infrastructure manager) and NS (the operator).

ProRail and NS seem to have settled on a re-electrification on 3 kV for a number of causes: ...
I came across this map of maximum traction current limits in Belgium. It seems that switching to 3 kV with a 2.4 kA limit as is common in Belgium will not help much (3 x 2.4 = 7.2 MW).

It seems to me that if they switch to 3 kV in the Netherlands they should aim for at least a 3 kA limit (9 MW, still not enough for dual TRAXX's at full power) or better still retain the current 4 kA limit (12 MW). Then you're almost at the same power level you would achieve with 25 kV at 500 A, but with a lot less effort needed.